PDA

View Full Version : Is pizza really that bad if it fits in with macros?

V_H
11-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Assuming that I'm still getting my required protein intake in, would pizza be that bad to have more than once a week? It does have a lot of carbs, but the fat could possibly slow down digestion enough to make it relatively decent... either way the calories are going to come in, so body comp wise there wouldn't really be any different would there?

Also, does the insulin spike from pizza cause extra fat storage even if I were to have, say, the same amount of calories with the same macro breakdown, from a lower GI food?

Stoicao
11-18-2009, 05:08 PM
No...if it fits in your macros it's fine. I don't eat it much, but that's just me.

AustrianOakJr
11-18-2009, 05:13 PM
If youre cutting, I would say it doesnt make much difference at all. Cals in vs. cals out. IF youre in a deficit, the insulin spike doesnt matter. If your bulking.....then, I believe the insulin spike issue is more of a concern. You want extra calories to be directed toward muscle growth. That said, I still wouldnt hesitate to eat pizza once a week, especially if it fits into your macro count for the day.

V_H
11-18-2009, 05:26 PM
If youre cutting, I would say it doesnt make much difference at all. Cals in vs. cals out. IF youre in a deficit, the insulin spike doesnt matter. If your bulking.....then, I believe the insulin spike issue is more of a concern. You want extra calories to be directed toward muscle growth. That said, I still wouldnt hesitate to eat pizza once a week, especially if it fits into your macro count for the day.

You're saying that in the case of bulking, it would hinder progression more than in the case of cutting? If so, THANK YOU because I've finally found someone who's coming from the same direction as me. As a followup, does that mean that evading non-pre or post-workout insulin spikes is both more important in bulking, and the key to gaining LBM when bulking while minimizing fat loss?

(I know that insulin spikes are bad when they're not around workouts, but are they especially bad when bulking?)

skip9
11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
In general if it fits into your macros then your good to go.

If your abit more serious and looking for optimal results and looking for food with higher nutritional value then there is defiently better choices around. In saying that, pizza in my view is one of the better fast foods around. It isnt Deep Fryed, It often contains clean carb sources (depending on the sauces etc.), it can have high protein value (depending on the toppings) and saturated fat can be reduced (once again depending on the toppings).

Try to opt for the thin base pizzas and add chicken, egg etc.

determined4000
11-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Assuming that I'm still getting my required protein intake in, would pizza be that bad to have more than once a week? It does have a lot of carbs, but the fat could possibly slow down digestion enough to make it relatively decent... either way the calories are going to come in, so body comp wise there wouldn't really be any different would there?

Also, does the insulin spike from pizza cause extra fat storage even if I were to have, say, the same amount of calories with the same macro breakdown, from a lower GI food?

bad for weight gain or bad for health
Weight gain will come down to calories
health will come down to frequency

deadstrong
11-18-2009, 07:54 PM
don.t eat the effing pizza lard ass

seriouslifter
11-18-2009, 08:01 PM
don.t eat the effing pizza lard ass

hahaha

Sophrosyne
11-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I know its probably obvious, but just be careful about the trans fat.