PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Bulking?

Texan1111
11-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I've always been skinny my whole life. This summer I bulked up to 195 lbs by eating anything and everything. The only way I was able to get up to that weight was by eating unhealthy foods of all sorts, and eating 5-6 big meals a day. I realized most of it went to my mid-section and I changed my diet way up. Now I'm 170 lbs and skinny again. And ofcourse I've been lifting heavy and changing up my routines every month and making acceptional gains. I've been trying to bulk up again (this time taking a much healthier approach) and I can't gain a single pound. What are some healthy foods to help me bulk up the "healthy" way?

isupply
11-18-2009, 12:12 AM
eggs, lean meat, olive oil, nuts, yams, whole grain bread, oatmeal, fruit. I would suggest upping your carb intake and seeing how that works for you

hankst
11-18-2009, 12:15 AM
It doesn't matter if you bulk up with "healthy" or "unhealthy" foods; excess calories cause the fat gain, not food "quality" (however you define that). As long as you count your calories and don't go overboard, you won't gain too much fat - even with the occasional burger or two.

Simmo0508
11-18-2009, 01:15 AM
I've always been skinny my whole life. This summer I bulked up to 195 lbs by eating anything and everything. The only way I was able to get up to that weight was by eating unhealthy foods of all sorts, and eating 5-6 big meals a day. I realized most of it went to my mid-section and I changed my diet way up. Now I'm 170 lbs and skinny again. And ofcourse I've been lifting heavy and changing up my routines every month and making acceptional gains. I've been trying to bulk up again (this time taking a much healthier approach) and I can't gain a single pound. What are some healthy foods to help me bulk up the "healthy" way?

Lean meats like boneless skinless chicken breast, good cuts of steak like round and especially kangaroo fillets. Fresh salmon steaks are fantastic, basa fish fillets likewise. Just raid the butchers and the fish markets/shops, generally speaking.

Brown rice and basmati rice, sweet potatoes, rolled oats, cous cous (however very low cal in terms of it's volume and size), wholegrain bread (Seed Sensations is my favourite brand at the moment)

Almonds, extra virgin olive oil, avocados (avocado spread on toast is crazy good).

Don't forget your vegies though. Use broccoli, asparagus, green string beans, romaine lettuce, spinach etc. A lot of bodybuilder's overlook the importance of vegies in their diet.

It doesn't matter if you bulk up with "healthy" or "unhealthy" foods; excess calories cause the fat gain, not food "quality" (however you define that). As long as you count your calories and don't go overboard, you won't gain too much fat - even with the occasional burger or two.

That's not what his question was. He wasn't asking for info about that.

That's a trend i've noticed so much lately here in the Nutrition section. People saying something in reply, yet without the OP even asking for that in the first place.

If you don't have an answer for him/her, just leave the thread..

And even then, yes it does matter if one bulks up using healthy or unhealthy foods for their calories. Everything matters in bodybuilding. But that's another topic for another thread, which isn't this one.

hankst
11-18-2009, 03:24 AM
That's not what his question was. He wasn't asking for info about that.

That's a trend i've noticed so much lately here in the Nutrition section. People saying something in reply, yet without the OP even asking for that in the first place.

If you don't have an answer for him/her, just leave the thread..

And even then, yes it does matter if one bulks up using healthy or unhealthy foods for their calories. Everything matters in bodybuilding. But that's another topic for another thread, which isn't this one.

I just wanted to tell him that before some clean food white knight storms into this thread and convinces him that he has to eat only chicken breasts and broccoli by the pound - which will empty his purse and won't make any noticeable difference.

But hey, whatever:
"Eggs, nuts, whole milk, lean red meat, white meat, beans, olive oil, fatty fish, whole grain pasta and bread (you will instantly die if you ingest white flour)"

Better?

(and I really don't want to argue with you about "clean" vs "dirty" food at all, we obviously both think we're absolutely right (hey, I know I am! :D) and a discussion won't lead anywhere)

Texan1111
11-18-2009, 07:24 AM
When I started cutting my diet consisted of ALOT of grilled chicken, green beans, mixed vegtables, eggs, and as little sugar as possible. I've been keeping that diet since just eating a **** ton more and it seems like it all comes out my ass. But I did kill a deer last week and should be getting atleast 40+ lbs of meat. And lean red meat seems to be a popular one so I'll be pigging out until that's gone. Thanks for all the inputs, I'll definately give them a shot. (and I was expecting to hear the word "potatoes" a few times. Yay? Nay?)