PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble grocery shopping in college...

navyfotbal
11-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I am a freshman in college and am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to keep my diet in a decent spot. The dining hall isn't bad (there is a lot of grilled chicken, vegetables and fruit, etc...), but the hours are pretty terrible especially given when my classes meet. I have a refrigerator, but it doesn't work well enough to keep anything perishable cold enough. All I have is water and other things that can't go bad. I have access to a microwave as well...
So far I have just been eating a ton of oatmeal, but I need to think of something else.

Any thoughts on what would be good to buy? There is a Walmart and a Kroger's down the street that isn't hard to get to.

Thanks!
Blake

self_made_hawk
11-12-2009, 08:53 PM
1st no homo but looking well in your picture, as far as foods go it sucks man. i've been there, deli meats whole wheat bread, cottage cheese, peanut butter, whey protein. Something i ended up doing was buying a little charcoal grill and cook up 8 chicken breast at once and saving them thru out the week

navyfotbal
11-12-2009, 09:02 PM
1st no homo but looking well in your picture, as far as foods go it sucks man. i've been there, deli meats whole wheat bread, cottage cheese, peanut butter, whey protein. Something i ended up doing was buying a little charcoal grill and cook up 8 chicken breast at once and saving them thru out the week

Yeah, some natty peanut butter probably would be a good plan...i think the cottage cheese and deli meats would go bad though. It is a really crappy fridge...

self_made_hawk
11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
save up a bit and get a mini fridge at walmart, its like 75 dollars max

determined4000
11-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I am a freshman in college and am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to keep my diet in a decent spot. The dining hall isn't bad (there is a lot of grilled chicken, vegetables and fruit, etc...), but the hours are pretty terrible especially given when my classes meet. I have a refrigerator, but it doesn't work well enough to keep anything perishable cold enough. All I have is water and other things that can't go bad. I have access to a microwave as well...
So far I have just been eating a ton of oatmeal, but I need to think of something else.

Any thoughts on what would be good to buy? There is a Walmart and a Kroger's down the street that isn't hard to get to.

Thanks!
Blake

SO if I understand, you seem all set in the dining hall just need dormroom ideas?
Whey in oatmeal
Canned beans
tuna
dry whole grain cereal (kashi crunch is good for this)
nuts
fruit (will defintely keep for a couple of days)
dried fruit
granola
PB sandwich

navyfotbal
11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much it...other than sandwiches though what could I buy that I could really make a meal out of? If I miss lunch because of class one day, it would be nice to have more than cereal or a sandwich to come back to, but I can't think of anything else that I could get that would work..I am looking to bulk by about 10 lbs between now and the beginning of spring term.

determined4000
11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
meals
1. whey in oatmeal
2. can of beans, can tomatoes and rice with spices
3. can of tuna/chicken and bake/cook a potato/rice in the micro
4. PB and banana sandwich (mix PB with whey for more protein= sludge sandwich)
5. canned soup