PDA

View Full Version : Bulking + too much cardio = fat gain?

V_H
11-12-2009, 08:02 PM
The general idea of bulking and including cardio is to limit fat gain without catabolizing muscle, which is why you're only supposed to do small amounts of cardio when bulking. The idea is you gain mass but not fat. If you do too much cardio, you lose muscle gains, that much is obvious. However, I've never heard anyone talk about doing too much cardio and actually GAINING fat... it's a paradox in itself because the point of cardio is to burn fat, but technically if you're still in a calorie surplus then no matter how much cardio you do you're going to gain mass, and since cardio burns muscle, could you actually be gaining fat because you're doing more cardio?

MdFitness
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM
alot of factors mostly cardio intensity, length, and type of diet.

trance__dreamer
11-12-2009, 08:14 PM
hmm...it seems to me like the question you're asking is:

do cardio, lose muscle, but maintain fat/not actually gain any fat; i.e.: losing muscle = increasing bf% but not actually gaining any fat.

determined4000
11-12-2009, 08:15 PM
The general idea of bulking and including cardio is to limit fat gain without catabolizing muscle, which is why you're only supposed to do small amounts of cardio when bulking. The idea is you gain mass but not fat. If you do too much cardio, you lose muscle gains, that much is obvious. However, I've never heard anyone talk about doing too much cardio and actually GAINING fat... it's a paradox in itself because the point of cardio is to burn fat, but technically if you're still in a calorie surplus then no matter how much cardio you do you're going to gain mass, and since cardio burns muscle, could you actually be gaining fat because you're doing more cardio?

This makes zero sense
If you are in a caloric surplus your body will not turn to muscle for fuel
If excessive cardio causes you to burn muscle, then by definition you are in a deficit, which also means you won't be adding fat.

V_H
11-12-2009, 08:29 PM
This makes zero sense
If you are in a caloric surplus your body will not turn to muscle for fuel
If excessive cardio causes you to burn muscle, then by definition you are in a deficit, which also means you won't be adding fat.

You can be in a calorie deficit during cardio but calorie surplus at the end of the day, so I guess I should have rephrased it: if timing is poor, could my theory be correct?