PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain the cap space in the NBA

gmenfan40
11-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I just heard the Knicks are under the cap for the first time since 1996. If you can be and play with being over the cap space then what's a cap space in the first place even for? In the NFL you just can't go over it, this just doesn't make any sense.

NoS_oUtLaSt
11-06-2009, 10:58 PM
this been wondering too

Sean_A_Nitro
11-06-2009, 11:03 PM
It's called a "soft" cap. You can exceed it but you cant give free agents more than the veterans level price or whatever it's called. The Knicks got way over the cap by making a bunch of bad trades and acquiring guys with huge contracts (Howard Eisley, Shandon Anderson, Jerome James, Eddy Curry, Jared Jeffries, Clarence Weatherspoon, Antonio McDyess, Tim Thomas a couple times, Penny Hardaway, Keith Van Horn, Maurice Taylor, Quentin Richardson should i go on?)

Kenetics
11-07-2009, 12:06 AM
It's called a "soft" cap. You can exceed it but you cant give free agents more than the veterans level price or whatever it's called. The Knicks got way over the cap by making a bunch of bad trades and acquiring guys with huge contracts (Howard Eisley, Shandon Anderson, Jerome James, Eddy Curry, Jared Jeffries, Clarence Weatherspoon, Antonio McDyess, Tim Thomas a couple times, Penny Hardaway, Keith Van Horn, Maurice Taylor, Quentin Richardson should i go on?)

Jalen Rose.

VernonWellsFargo
11-07-2009, 12:24 AM
I just heard the Knicks are under the cap for the first time since 1996. If you can be and play with being over the cap space then what's a cap space in the first place even for? In the NFL you just can't go over it, this just doesn't make any sense.

if your trying to compete you wont be under the cap, and even if u arent competing your prolly still not going to be under it, and in the NBA you pay a dollar for every dollar your over the cap. so its not like they just go over the cap like oh well.

Minhsanity
11-07-2009, 12:58 AM
if your trying to compete you wont be under the cap, and even if u arent competing your prolly still not going to be under it, and in the NBA you pay a dollar for every dollar your over the cap. so its not like they just go over the cap like oh well.

And it all goes into $tern's pocket