PDA

View Full Version : Athletes Diets

jbwrestler
11-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Does anybody know of any specific athlete's diet plans, or maybe what a general athlete in a specific sport might eat in a day

KublaiKhan
11-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Unless you are, in fact, an elite athlete, there's not much sense in trying to copy an elite athlete's training and diet regimen. They are built differently from we mortals.

This comes up more often when Joe Firsttimelifter wants to know <insert huge NFL running back>'s workout plan, but I figure it applies to diet too.

2 D
11-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Unless you are, in fact, an elite athlete, there's not much sense in trying to copy an elite athlete's training and diet regimen. They are built differently from we mortals.

This comes up more often when Joe Firsttimelifter wants to know <insert huge NFL running back>'s workout plan, but I figure it applies to diet too.

^^^To build off of what he is saying, unless you're going to be training like said athletes whose nutrition you're wanting to copy, don't expect similar performance/looks in regards to body comp.

That said, the highly active athletes eat a higher carb diet, w/relatively high protein and moderate to low fat. They also eat higher calories than the average lifter.

andrewpoleon
11-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I dissagry, wrestling is very diet centric, I've done it for 6 years, and I wish I knew hot to propertly diet that way I would of done so much better, especially when I had to loose 20lb's in 2 weeks.

So what is your main goal? Bulk off season, cut pre-season?

KublaiKhan
11-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I dissagry, wrestling is very diet centric, I've done it for 6 years, and I wish I knew hot to propertly diet that way I would of done so much better, especially when I had to loose 20lb's in 2 weeks.I wrestled for ten years - I understand how important diet is for a wrestler. But that doesn't mean that the best way to go about it is to copy some arbitrary pro athlete's diet as if it will work just as well for some fifteen-year-old kid. There are basic dietary guidelines that can be used to form a diet that works best for you, rather than trying to pirate a diet that a millionaire athlete's highly paid nutritionist customizes for him.

andrewpoleon
11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I wrestled for ten years - I understand how important diet is for a wrestler. But that doesn't mean that the best way to go about it is to copy some arbitrary pro athlete's diet as if it will work just as well for some fifteen-year-old kid. There are basic dietary guidelines that can be used to form a diet that works best for you, rather than trying to pirate a diet that a millionaire athlete's highly paid nutritionist customizes for him.

But read his question again, he said "athlete's diet plans, or maybe what a general athlete in a specific sport might eat in a day", thus general guidelines would be helpful to him as well.

Shimshimma
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
But read his question again, he said "athlete's diet plans, or maybe what a general athlete in a specific sport might eat in a day", thus general guidelines would be helpful to him as well.

completely agree he didn't say elite athlete

KublaiKhan
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
But read his question again, he said "athlete's diet plans, or maybe what a general athlete in a specific sport might eat in a day", thus general guidelines would be helpful to him as well.I got the sense that he is looking for the meal plan followed by some particular superstar athlete. In that case, I stand by my former statement: that kind of info will be about as useful to you as that same athlete's workout plan would be. That is, it would be useless.

General dietary guidelines are probably similar between most sports. Wrestling, which is a rare mix of strength and endurance, will probably lean toward relatively high carbs, but protein should also remain high (as usual).

N4th4n
11-01-2009, 11:57 PM
He's just asking for a sample diet, it is an interesting topic and i don't know why he needs the lecture.

daYDreAmErX
11-02-2009, 05:20 AM
2.5x your bw in carbs
1.5x your bw in protein
.5 your bw in healthy fats

So wrong. 1.5x protein is usless.

Set up your calories at BWx20 to start with, get 0.7-1.0g of protein be LBM and fill up the rest with carbs and fat. Carbs around 50% is usually good but it really depends how you're feeling with it, some people like to up the fat.

Holyspokes
11-02-2009, 05:59 AM
eating a certain amount of grams of carbs/pro/fat depending on your bodyweight is useless.. depending on what sport you do you will need vastly different levels of calories.

That being said, most athletes I know eat what they can, when they can. They try to eat healthy, but certainly don't have a "clean" diet by BB standards.

Focus on getting carbs 50% or more, getting enough EFAs and protein.

RandyJH
11-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Most of the advice in this thread isn't that great. Why? Because you havent given any important details regarding your wrestling specifics.

First of all, what weight class are you going to wrestle in? How much water weight can you safetly cut? Do you want an in season diet, or a pre season diet? Have you ever cut weight before?

Those are just a few places to start with info.

With sports that require you to be at a specific body weight at a given time, dieting becomes a bit different than it would for most.

If you don't plan on cutting weight, go off what spokes and daydreamer said.

BloodRaged
11-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Does anybody know of any specific athlete's diet plans, or maybe what a general athlete in a specific sport might eat in a day

For Wrestling there are three various diet setups in my course work.

(fats % - proteins % - carbs %)

Off-Season: 20-20-60

Pre-Season: 20-25-55

Season: 15-30-55

Your various intake needs can't be supplied with out a bit more information though.

BF%, activity levels, current intake would be helpful as well.

Hope this helps.

daYDreAmErX
11-02-2009, 06:36 AM
15-20% of fat is REALLY low IMO and if the OP is weight lifting, he'll need more protein as well.

BloodRaged
11-02-2009, 06:39 AM
15-20% of fat is REALLY low IMO and if the OP is weight lifting, he'll need more protein as well.

He asked what was good for the wrestlers so I posted what the course teaches me.

15/20% isn't that low actually.

For instance, I'm eating 3831 this week.

That's 85g's of fat per day.
If I'm not mistaken you get about this in your diet based off your logs. Granted your fat ratio is higher and you said your changing it.

It's not a keto diet so the fat intake isn't super high. Also, depending on the type of sport you use energy from various sources.

As a matter of fact the martial arts setup is the same.

Keep in mind the season and such.

(didn't read the protein part till just now but using 3831 again)

25% : 239g's

KublaiKhan
11-02-2009, 07:04 AM
He's just asking for a sample diet, it is an interesting topic and i don't know why he needs the lecture.No lecture intended. But the way I read the original question makes me think that we have another case of a 15-year-old thinking that he can follow the lead of an elite pro and expect mind-blowing results. It wouldn't be the first time that kind of topic's been on the forums. (Not to sound condescending, of course. I was 15 once.)

But I'll stop posting here now - I'm not trying to derail the thread.

jbwrestler
11-02-2009, 04:12 PM
i was just curious, i didnt say i wanted to copy anything..................some of you guys took it way too seriously...God

eworkin
11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
i was just curious, i didnt say i wanted to copy anything..................some of you guys took it way too seriously...God

I reckon haha, here are 2;

LeBron James:

5:45 am wake up

Two 8 ounce glasses of water
10 grams of L-glutamine mixed with water

6:25 am breakfast

1 whole wheat bagel
1 tbsp peanut butter
? cup cottage cheese
? cup strawberries
1 multivitamin and mineral tablet

Yields 529 calories, 30 grams of protein, 77 grams of carbohydrates, and 12 grams of fat.

9:30 am Mid morning meal

1 scoop protein powder (2oz)- 22 grams

protein
1 cup orange juice
1 medium banana
1 ? cup 1% milk

Yields 487 calories, 35 grams of protein, 73 grams of carbohydrates, 6 grams of fat

12:00 pm Lunch -lean roast beef sub

6 " whole wheat bun
4 ounces lean roast beef
1 cup lettuce
1 tomato cut into slices,
? oz low fat cheddar cheese
2 tbsp mustard
1 cup 1% milk

Yields 502 calories, 43 grams of protein, 47 grams of carbohydrates, and 16 grams of fat

2:30 pm Mid afternoon meal

1 granola bar -Quaker
? cup blueberries
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup low fat natural yogurt
1 apple
? glass of low fat milk

Yields 528 calories, 19 grams of protein, 90 grams of carbohydrates, and 10 grams of fat

4:30 pm

2 glasses of pure water
Branched chain amino acids

5:15 pm workout

2-4 glasses of pure water while working out

6:30 pm post workout meal

1 cup strawberries
1 cup low fat strawberry yogurt
1 scoop(2oz) vanilla protein powder- 22 grams

protein
? tbsp honey
1 cup 1% milk
1 cup orange juice
5 grams creatine monohydrate

Yields 549 calories, 41 grams of protein, 75 grams of carbohydrates, and 6 grams of fat.

8:30 pm dinner -chicken teriyaki

3 oz skinless/boneless chicken breasts
1/3 cup prepared teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tsp cornstarch
1/3 tsp ginger
? tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 ? cup small broccoli florets
? can (4 ounces) sliced water chestnuts
? cup rice
1 cup pure water

Yields 549 calories, 38 grams of protein, 69 grams of carbohydrates, and 13 grams of fat

10:00 pm

10 grams of L-glutamine with 1 glass of pure water

eworkin
11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Michael Phelps

His breakfast typically consists of three fried egg sandwiches topped with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise, toast, an omelette, porridge, three pancakes and two cups of coffee. This breakfast could easily feed the average family. This is not all eaten at once though, before practice, he eats cereal or oatmeal, and then after practice, it?s the eggs, omelettes and veges. Sounds like he is on an egg diet.

Phelps lunch usually consists of a pound (500g) of pasta, with two ham and cheese sandwiches and approx. 1000 kcal of energy drinks.

For dinner Michael Phelps has more pasta, another pound of it, with a pizza and more energy drinks. In addition to this he will take protein supplements to keep his muscles in top condition. A swimmers diet needs to combine protein and carbohydrate to ensure there is good musular growth and endurance.

jbwrestler
11-02-2009, 06:50 PM
thanks to the two guys above me who gave me what i asked for. ive got people telling me about what wrestlers should be eating when, criticizing me, giving me lecutres.....cant you just read the one sentence in the thread??

KublaiKhan
11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
thanks to the two guys above me who gave me what i asked for. ive got people telling me about what wrestlers should be eating when, criticizing me, giving me lecutres.....cant you just read the one sentence in the thread??It's not like I ambled in here with the goal of criticizing you just for the sake of criticizing you. I gave you a pretty good reason: who the hell cares what Michael Phelps or LeBron James eats, except Michael Phelps and LeBron James? You're a 15-year-old kid, not an Olympic gold medal-winning athlete. Even if you tried to follow these diets (which are pretty insane), it wouldn't do you a lick of good.

AICfan69
11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Depends what kind of athlete we're talking about. Football player? Answer is they eat a lot. Fact of the matter is, everyone eats different. There are football players who follow a "raw" diet... then there are football players who eat basically whatever they want as long as they get an adequate amount of protein.

MMA fighter? Again, depends who we're talking about. A guy like Randy Couture is really strict about what he puts in his body. He doesn't even drink coffee because it's very acidic, instead he starts his day with a green drink. No alcohol. He also claims to avoid red meat as much as he can (How many red blooded men can COMPLETELY avoid red meat?). He eats very, very clean. On the flip side, take another heavyweight fighter in Brock Lesnar. He eats a ton of food. Adequate protein, adequate carbs, and for a guy his size that means a lot of food, plain and simple. Not counting calories, not weighing his dishes.

I'm sure you've heard of what Michael Phelps eats...

It all varies. They're like anyone else, they find what works for THEM.

N4th4n
11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
It's not like I ambled in here with the goal of criticizing you just for the sake of criticizing you. I gave you a pretty good reason: who the hell cares what Michael Phelps or LeBron James eats, except Michael Phelps and LeBron James? You're a 15-year-old kid, not an Olympic gold medal-winning athlete. Even if you tried to follow these diets (which are pretty insane), it wouldn't do you a lick of good.

Perhaps if he wishes to be a competitive athlete when he's older he would like to see an example diet of someone who is already an established sportsman. I find it interesting, to see how much they really do eat. It also gives some idea of the amount of work they're putting in to their training.

KublaiKhan
11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Perhaps if he wishes to be a competitive athlete when he's older he would like to see an example diet of someone who is already an established sportsman. I find it interesting, to see how much they really do eat. It also gives some idea of the amount of work they're putting in to their training.I find it interesting too. But you folks are misunderstanding me: of course some pro athlete's diet has merit and is worth knowing - after all, it works for him, so there must be something right about it.

But this kind of thread is a dime a dozen: a high school kid wants immediate results, and he thinks the best way to get those results is to follow the routine that his favorite athlete follows, as if it's the diet and the workout that make him such a good athlete rather than innate talent and decades of intense practice. Knowing how Jay Cutler lifts or how Brandon Jacobs eats is about as useful to the average person as knowing how Picasso painted or Chekhov wrote - these are advanced strategies that are useless if you don't meet certain standards already.

jbwrestler
11-03-2009, 05:50 AM
It's not like I ambled in here with the goal of criticizing you just for the sake of criticizing you. I gave you a pretty good reason: who the hell cares what Michael Phelps or LeBron James eats, except Michael Phelps and LeBron James? You're a 15-year-old kid, not an Olympic gold medal-winning athlete. Even if you tried to follow these diets (which are pretty insane), it wouldn't do you a lick of good.

i didnt say i wanted to follow them you tard, jesus christ. learn to read man

KublaiKhan
11-03-2009, 06:43 AM
i didnt say i wanted to follow them you tard, jesus christ. learn to read manOh, ok. The info is purely for personal edification, and to sate your burning interest in what some arbitrary athlete eats on some arbitrary day. Pardon me for figuring otherwise.

Kidding aside: I know I came across as condescending, but I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm trying to help keep you from wasting your time with a regimen that is thoroughly useless to you. And if you really did ask purely out of curiosity, then forgive me for assuming otherwise; but understand that this kind of topic is fairly common, so my knee-jerk assumption isn't exactly radical.

BloodRaged
11-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Oh, ok. The info is purely for personal edification, and to sate your burning interest in what some arbitrary athlete eats on some arbitrary day. Pardon me for figuring otherwise.

Kidding aside: I know I came across as condescending, but I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm trying to help keep you from wasting your time with a regimen that is thoroughly useless to you. And if you really did ask purely out of curiosity, then forgive me for assuming otherwise; but understand that this kind of topic is fairly common, so my knee-jerk assumption isn't exactly radical.

I think what he is trying to say is the level of retard that frequents the forum is often and high.

Plus, your question was easy to miss read. I thought you meant something else as well but I was wrong.

All good all good, the downside of being on the internet is it's not always easy to read things right.

<3

jbwrestler
11-03-2009, 07:03 AM
i was just bored and curious. i had been looking up something on lst summers olympics and remembered all the publicity surrounding michael phelps' diet, and i got interested to see who ate what and when

KublaiKhan
11-03-2009, 07:07 AM
I think what he is trying to say is the level of retard that frequents the forum is often and high.

Plus, your question was easy to miss read. I thought you meant something else as well but I was wrong.

All good all good, the downside of being on the internet is it's not always easy to read things right.

<3The problem with a bodybuilding forum is that there tends to be an unusually high proportion of alpha males who want to fight it out whenever they get the chance. Things get out of hand easily.

i was just bored and curious. i had been looking up something on lst summers olympics and remembered all the publicity surrounding michael phelps' diet, and i got interested to see who ate what and whenFair enough. You have more sense than the typical 15-year-old at these boards (and probably more sense that I would've had at 15, but that's neither here nor there).

BloodRaged
11-03-2009, 07:16 AM
i was just bored and curious. i had been looking up something on lst summers olympics and remembered all the publicity surrounding michael phelps' diet, and i got interested to see who ate what and when

You know one of the hardest things to do is look past the bull**** of pro athletes diets. For instance Michael Phelps, who knows if he really eats that **** or if it was a way to **** with the other players heads.

Pro BB's will do the same ****, Arnold and Franko used to order pizza at comps to **** with peoples heads.

There is a lot of miss information out there and sadly it's very hard to tell what is what.

Also, when it comes to fitness/nutrition everyone's body is so different. We tend to think of us as being humans and as mathematical being the same but in reality even the best nutritionist is going to be guessing here and there until they fine tune a diet made just for you. It's going to take a few years, a bunch of testing and a lot of logging.

Good luck.