PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow was almost aborted before birth

b3rtstare
10-30-2009, 12:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tebow

Tebow was born on August 14, 1987 in the Philippines to Bob and Pam Tebow, who were serving as Christian missionaries at the time.[1] While pregnant Pam suffered a life-threatening infection with a pathogenic amoeba. Because of the drugs used to rouse her from a coma and to treat her dysentery, the fetus experienced a severe placental abruption. Doctors expected a stillbirth and recommended an abortion to protect her life.[1] She carried Timothy to term, and both survived.

Think of all the potential Einsteins, Hawkings, and Da Vinci's who have been aborted over the years. One of the greater College QB's of our era was almost aborted. The point is, you never know what type of life that victim's of abortion will grow up to lead or what major contributions or discoveries that person would accomplish. I will never understand how people can support the murder of babies.

LordDarwin
10-30-2009, 12:08 AM
1.) They're not babies. They're fetuses at the very latest stage.

2.) It's not murder because they're not human-beings with rights.

3.) So what?

You could argue that Hitler, Stalin & Mao could have potentially been aborted, and to think how many mass murdering dictators could have been born without abortions! The what if game means jack sh*t.

b3rtstare
10-30-2009, 12:15 AM

3.) So what?

You could argue that Hitler, Stalin & Mao could have potentially been aborted, and to think how many mass murdering dictators could have been born without abortions! The what if game means jack sh*t.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/aggreko07/bs.gif

Life begins at conception. How dare you say babies in the womb are not human, wtf. They are HUMAN lives and they deserve equal protection against murder.

Ephedra
10-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Quit reading after I read your "9/11 Truth Alliance" tag.

b3rtstare
10-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Quit reading after I read your "9/11 Truth Alliance" tag.

strawman arguement and you know it. GTFO with your logical fallacies. 9/11 Truth has nothing to do with this thread.

LordDarwin
10-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Life begins at conception.
"Life is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have self-sustaining biological processes from those that do not." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life)

'Life' most certainly does not begin at conception.

How dare you say babies in the womb are not human, wtf. They are HUMAN lives and they deserve equal protection against murder.

1.) Again, they're not babies. They're Fetuses. (You're 20, grow up and use the correct terminology if you're going to enter into a discussion about the subject).

2.) Human =/= Human-being

3.) "Murder, as defined in common law countries, is the unlawful killing of another human being with intent." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder)

It's most certainly not murder.

BTI
10-30-2009, 12:34 AM
strawman arguement and you know it. GTFO with your logical fallacies. 9/11 Truth has nothing to do with this thread.

I don't think you know what a Strawman is.

LordDarwin
10-30-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't think you know what a Strawman is.
Considering BB cannot refute my points since all he can seem to do is pander to peoples emotions, I will post a cartoon that he may understand:

http://www.jesusandmo.net/strips/2007-10-22.jpg

FLAY
10-30-2009, 12:48 AM
If a fetus is viable outside the womb in my opinion an abortion should not be performed. A woman chooses to have sex knowing a consequence could be pregnancy.

Insight
10-30-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm pro-choice, but this above argument pissed me off. Let's break this down:

"Life is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have self-sustaining biological processes from those that do not." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life)

'Life' most certainly does not begin at conception.

That quote doesn't define what life is at all. It just says that it is "a characteristic" that distinguishes objects in group x from group y. The definition is also circular, as it leaves open the definition of a "biological process".

But the real bizarre statement here is that you're asserting that Wikipedia's definition of "life" really counts as the de facto answer of an question whose complexity is nearly unmatched within modern human philosophy.

1.) Again, they're not babies. They're Fetuses. (You're 20, grow up and use the correct terminology if you're going to enter into a discussion about the subject).

That's another pretty arrogant statement. Last time I checked, there was no central authority on what words were "correct" or "incorrect" to use. Rather, I think the point of a dictionary is to track the modern usage of words for reference and historical record.

But just to play your clever smart-ass semantics game, let's look up the definition of "baby" on dictionary.com, shall we?

ba⋅by
  /ˈbeɪbi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation Show IPA noun, plural -bies, adjective, verb, -bied, -by⋅ing.
Use baby in a Sentence
See web results for baby
See images of baby
?noun
1. an infant or very young child.
2. a newborn or very young animal.
3. the youngest member of a family, group, etc.
4. an immature or childish person.
[b]5. a human fetus.

I suggest pulling your head out of your ass.

2.) Human =/= Human-being

Not sure what you're going for here. If your goal is rather to prove that a "fetus" is not a "human being," you're going to first have to prove that the two categories are anything but arbitrary to begin with. Then you're going to have to prove that there is some logical reason that a fetus has to be outside of the mother for it to count as a human being. That is, unless you want to make the argument that a premature baby doesn't count as a human being, since it needs external support to live, or exclude people on life support from humanity.

3.) "Murder, as defined in common law countries, is the unlawful killing of another human being with intent." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder)

It's most certainly not murder.

Well, that certainly closes the case, doesn't it? You should get that proof published.

For the record, I'm pro-choice, but arguments like the above pretty much misrepresent and **** on the entire movement. Not all of us see it as being that black and white.

I simply feel that the question is, at this point in human history, too complex to be decided by any one individual for all. Yes, if I had access to the insight as to whether a 4-week fetus can experience sensations and feel pain, then I'd make a judgement for -all- people based right on that alone. Unfortunately, I don't, and neither does anyone else, so I feel everyone has a right to philosophize on that as they will.

I respect the pro-life point of view though.

bproof
10-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Think of all the potential Einsteins, Hawkings, and Da Vinci's who have been aborted over the years. One of the greater College QB's of our era was almost aborted. The point is, you never know what type of life that victim's of abortion will grow up to lead or what major contributions or discoveries that person would accomplish. I will never understand how people can support the murder of babies.

Think of all the unwanted kids who would have grown up in a family that never wanted them or in a crappy home just to grow up and be murderers / rapists / child molesters. Abortion is disgusting I don't think anyone denies that, I don't think that I will ever want my wife to have one. However I see the reasons why its legalized and TBH I don't really care that much about it.

LordDarwin
10-30-2009, 01:03 AM
That quote doesn't define what life is at all. It just says that it is "a characteristic" that distinguishes objects in group x from group y. The definition is also circular, as it leaves open the definition of a "biological process".
Yes, a characteristic that distinguishes objects in group 'life' from group 'non-life.' :rolleyes:

Also name one biological process an embryo (at the moment of conception) can sustain when taken outside the mothers uterus... (You = failure)

But the real bizarre statement here is that you're asserting that Wikipedia's definition of "life" really counts as the de facto answer of an question whose complexity is nearly unmatched within modern human philosophy.
This is not a philosophical matter, if you wanna talk about philosophy gtfo, as it has no place in this discussion as there are no definitive answers (i.e. It's subjective not objective like science).

That's another pretty arrogant statement. Last time I checked, there was no central authority on what words were "correct" or "incorrect" to use. Rather, I think the point of a dictionary is to track the modern usage of words for reference and historical record.
This isn't about semantics per se; it's about using the correct terms in relation to the subject.

If you want to use the incorrect terminology for emotional effect then do so; just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Well, that certainly closes the case, doesn't it? You should get that proof published.
Stop putting words in my mouth and stick to the point.

He said it was murder, I have clearly showed it is not. Wanna cry about it? :rolleyes:

Insight
10-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Yes, a characteristic that distinguishes objects in group 'life' from group 'non-life.' :rolleyes:

And what exactly is that characteristic?

This is not a philosophical matter, if you wanna talk about philosophy gtfo, as it has no place in this discussion as there are no definitive answers (i.e. It's subjective not objective like science).

http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/o_rly.jpg

Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post

This isn't about semantics per se; it's about using the correct terms in relation to the subject.

If you want to use the incorrect terminology for emotional effect then do so; just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Do you read? Didn't I just say...

He said it was murder, I have clearly showed it is not. Wanna cry about it? :rolleyes:

LOL. Seemed pretty clear to me. I especially like how all of your arguments flowed from point A to point B.

edit:#*&@*#&$ img tag.

LordDarwin
10-30-2009, 01:23 AM
And what exactly is that characteristic?
The ability to perform self-sustaining biological processes.
As was stated in the definition I gave.

http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/o_rly.jpg
Ya Rly

Do you read? Didn't I just say...
Sorry I must have misread. However you know damn well (if you've read any of the OP's previous posts) that he used the word baby because he is both:
A.) Uneducated in this area.
B.) Wants to use it for emotional impact, to support his laughable 'statement.'

LOL. Seemed pretty clear to me. I especially like how all of your arguments flowed from point A to point B.
Thanks...

Insight
10-30-2009, 01:43 AM
The ability to perform self-sustaining biological processes.
As was stated in the definition I gave.

Okay, so people on life support, premature babies, etc aren't "alive?" I don't think you're gonna have much luck finding that definition anywhere. How about siamese twins that are dependent on one another to keep living? That is, if they're living at all.

And as I said before, you're going to have to say what a "biological" process is for this definition to really make any sense.

Ya Rly

LOL. The question of what exactly "life" is is one whose complexities run so deep that I doubt we will see any definitive answer before either of us die. Even outside of the abortion debate, most people find the question to be almost unparalleled in terms of depth. It is directly related to the question of whether there is an afterlife or not, whether "experience" originates from the brain or is simply influenced by the brain, etc... Some people decide that the question is so complex that every human being deserves the chance to figure it out for themselves and make decisions accordingly. And then some people feel that their religion has given them the answer and so decide that life begins at conception.

Your approach, on the other hand, was to copy and paste the sentence from the beginning of the Wikipedia article on "life," and then declare the question solved in the name of science.

Sorry I must have misread. However you know damn well (if you've read any of the OP's previous posts) that he used the word baby because he is both:
A.) Uneducated in this area.
B.) Wants to use it for emotional impact, to support his laughable 'statement.'

I don't think he's uneducated. I'd bet my left nut that he probably knows that the medical term for an unborn baby is a "fetus." As for using the term for emotional impact, certainly.

Thanks...

LOL, sorry if I'm being harsh, but your post hit a nerve. The truth is that if you are hell bent on claiming to have the knowledge that life begins at birth, then you're no better than anyone hell bent on claiming that life begins at conception. And it gets a bit tedious to hear people arguing back and forth about that alone. That, and your earlier assertion that the only reason anyone would ever be anti-abortion is for misogynistic reasons, came across as particularly short-sighted in my view.

The Bible vs. current medical definitions of words gets pretty old pretty quick.

Harbinger
10-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Considering BB cannot refute my points since all he can seem to do is pander to peoples emotions, I will post a cartoon that he may understand:

http://www.jesusandmo.net/strips/2007-10-22.jpg

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LordDarwin again."

Awesome pic!

Dave22reborn
10-30-2009, 02:37 AM
I know man, imagine if all those crack babies weren't aborted.....

DaCougarMech
10-30-2009, 03:35 AM

somehow, i think you scream this stuff before you type it

Mr Beer
10-30-2009, 04:07 AM

Meaningless argument. What about all the future Pol Pots, Hitlers and Stalins we prevented?

user5145
10-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Think of all the potential Einsteins, Hawkings, and Da Vinci's that have been shot away meaninglessly into a condom. Are you against contraception?

Think of all of the Charles Mansons, Jeffery Dahmers, and Ed Geins we have prevented from coming into existence.

VAPlowhorse
10-30-2009, 04:39 AM
This story is more a monument to choice than anything else.

Though I am sure you would like to imagine the doctors recommending an abortion for the lols and to fill some satanic quota, they were actually recommending the safer option based on the case and statistical chances of survival. Tebow's mom choose to gamble and continue the pregnancy, at the risk of her death, depriving her other children of a mother, or having Tim as a highly damaged child without much life to look forward to. She followed all the rest of the medical advice given (like bed rest) and the gamble paid off. If she was dead now, you would certainly not be praising this story. It is easy to say who is fastest after the race is over. People in that situation are faced with a choice and they should have the right to select the safer (and emotions aside, more logical) route.

gjohnson5
10-30-2009, 05:10 AM

Tebow's mother CHOSE to carry Tim to birth...
reps

Insight
10-30-2009, 06:21 AM

Though I am sure you would like to imagine the doctors recommending an abortion for the lols and to fill some satanic quota, they were actually recommending the safer option based on the case and statistical chances of survival. Tebow's mom choose to gamble and continue the pregnancy, at the risk of her death, depriving her other children of a mother, or having Tim as a highly damaged child without much life to look forward to. She followed all the rest of the medical advice given (like bed rest) and the gamble paid off. If she was dead now, you would certainly not be praising this story. It is easy to say who is fastest after the race is over. People in that situation are faced with a choice and they should have the right to select the safer (and emotions aside, more logical) route.

Agreed. Out of all the "person xyz was almost aborted" stories to pick, the one where the abortion was to save the life of the mother was probably the worst... Even the most hardcore prolifers I know are willing to make an exception for that.

NorthMass
10-30-2009, 06:25 AM

well like others said your argument about all the great people that could have been aborted is kind of meh because of all the bad people that could have been aborted also . I'm pro life but its not really a good argument.

The whole point of the debate is whether they are just fetuses that aren't human or if they are humans that have rights. i believe they are humans that have rights but that if the mother didn't consent to the pregnancy or if her life is in danger like in this pregnancy then she has the right to abort, but if she consented to the pregnancy then she shouldn't have the right to abort.

tbonez3858
10-30-2009, 06:36 AM

3.) So what?

Do you have any kids?

ElHombre
10-30-2009, 06:59 AM
my god, tired and failed argument is tired and failed.

look:

ONtop888
10-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Agreed. Out of all the "person xyz was almost aborted" stories to pick, the one where the abortion was to save the life of the mother was probably the worst... Even the most hardcore prolifers I know are willing to make an exception for that.

Yes, I'm probably what you would call a "hardcore pro-lifer," and the mother's health is an acceptable reason for an aborton.

Nice discussion btw, reps on recharge.

Large_Emu
10-30-2009, 07:48 AM
I personally have no problem with abortion.

AKR
10-30-2009, 08:52 AM

3.) So what?

This. It's a stalemate so who cares.

ZenBowman
10-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Life begins at conception. How dare you say babies in the womb are not human, wtf. They are HUMAN lives and they deserve equal protection against murder.

Would you extend those same protections to animals? Why or why not?

caj
10-30-2009, 10:12 AM
A girl/woman discovers she's pregnant.

If she (and/or the father) is happy and wants the baby, immediately it is referred to as 'the baby'. She will go to the doctor and get vitamins perscribed to take daily for 'the baby'. Every reference to her stomach is about 'the baby'. Everything physical she does is questioned whether it is good or not for 'the baby'. Anything she eats, any medicine she takes, any and everything she does from the second she's aware of the pregnancy is all about 'the baby'.

If she (and/or the father) doesn't want the baby and a decision is made to have an abortion, it is referenced as 'not a life'.

I guarantee that there are women who have previously had abortions who have later on in life gotten pregnant again - this time, happy about it - that will start calling it a baby throughout the entire pregnancy.

Abortion is not about choice
Abortion = not convenient for me

ONtop888
10-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Would you extend those same protections to animals? Why or why not?

No, because I believe that human life is invaluable. I would not sacrifice the life of a human to save a goat, cat, dog, etc.

Dummkopf
10-30-2009, 11:53 AM

3.) So what?

If Hitler was aborted how would I have gotten the idea for this sweet ass tattoo of a swastika on my forehead?

Weightaholic
10-30-2009, 01:31 PM
No, because I believe that human life is invaluable. I would not sacrifice the life of a human to save a goat, cat, dog, etc.

Most dogs are better people than people.

There are quite a few people on this planet who I would choose my dog over.

Guardian
10-30-2009, 01:32 PM

You can also think of all the potential murders and leeches that have been aborted as well.

Contemplating something that does not exist can be considered a form of socially accepted insanity.

telega C 33
10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
I personally have no problem with abortion.

the only problem i have w abortion is not enough people get them. overpopulation FTL

trailwarrior
10-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Think of all the potential Einsteins, Hawkings, and Da Vinci's who have been aborted over the years. One of the greater College QB's of our era was almost aborted. The point is, you never know what type of life that victim's of abortion will grow up to lead or what major contributions or discoveries that person would accomplish. I will never understand how people can support the murder of babies.I'll leave the "scientific aspect" as to whether or not abortion is murder to others on this forum, but from a "Christian aspect" the Bible is not explicit on the issue and that is why we have all these wild@ss umtions. If Christ said it was murder to even hate another breathing human being, then why did He not even mention anything about aborting fetuses when the practice was so common and widespread at the time? I'm not saying that I approve, but I am not going to risk God's judgement with such false accusations.

history of abortion - wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_abortion)

In ancient times abortion was a common practice. Evidence suggests that late-term abortions were performed in a number of cultures. In Greece, the Stoics believed the fetus to be plantlike in nature, and not an animal until the moment of birth, when it finally breathed air. They therefore found abortion morally acceptable. The Greek playwright Aristophanes noted the abortifacient property of pennyroyal in 421 BC, through a humorous reference in his comedy, Peace.

The ancient Greeks relied upon the herb silphium an abortifacient and contraceptive. The plant, as the chief export of Cyrene, was driven to extinction, but it is suggested that it might have possessed the same abortive properties as some of its closest extant relatives in the Apiaceae family. Silphium was so central to the Cyrenian economy that most of its coins were embossed with an image of the plant.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Silphium.jpg/160px-Silphium.jpgmore... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_abortion)

gjohnson5
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Tim Tebow's "abortion" may infact happen tomorrow in Jacksonville when they play us.

pantera02018
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
the only problem i have w abortion is not enough people get them. overpopulation FTL

word.

Epilerik
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
My problem with abortion is every single person I know who has gotten one got pregnant for being stupid and irresponsible. It's one thing if you're raped, but I personally don't like the idea of condoning quick fixes to stupid mistakes

jimbob007
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
They could also grow up to be complete vegetables unable to do anything for themselves, needing lifelong care from the parents, then if they outlive them from the state as well.

So it is a bit like the hollywood/media portrayal that every autistic person has some incredible talent, the truth is most of them are like the rest of us not especially talented.

neonhypoxia
10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
They could also grow up to be complete vegetables unable to do anything for themselves, needing lifelong care from the parents, then if they outlive them from the state as well.

Neural tube defect. Enough said.

Seriously. Its not that we have too many people, its that we have too many dumb*sses.

So a quarter back = a scientist? Don't get me wrong; I don't care about sprots at all but I fully understand they provide entertainment for alot of people. But you are comparing a QB to an Eisnstein? Really?

I hate to have to be the one to point it out, but women with lower IQs, lower SES, and drug habits are far more likely to have an abortion than the general population. That's not exactly the best poll to be looking for future geniuses.

VTheKing
10-30-2009, 05:13 PM

What about all of the Charles Mansons, Mugabes and Ponzis?

Also, whenever a couple decides to use contraception, is it preventing a potential genius from being born?

gluttonizer
10-30-2009, 05:20 PM

3.) So what?

repped you with my non existent reps

Frozen_By_You
10-30-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm participating in Voluntary Human Extinction. I have an appointment with the urologist in 5 days for a vasectomy.

Each children you have adds 9441 metric tons of carbon dioxide. Increasing almost six-fold the emissions that a person will create over a lifetime.

The planet already struggles to sustain the people currently living, adding on top of the pile is not part of the solution.

http://www.thetinylife.com/?s=human+extinction

VTheKing
10-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm participating in Voluntary Human Extinction. I have an appointment with the urologist in 5 days for a vasectomy.

Each children you have adds 9441 metric tons of carbon dioxide. Increasing almost six-fold the emissions that a person will create over a lifetime.

The planet already struggles to sustain the people currently living, adding on top of the pile is not part of the solution.

What good it is to sterilize yourself if 95%+ of the world will probably never hear of "voluntary extinction"? You may be "doing your part", but everyone else is popping out babies.

TysonLabowski
10-30-2009, 07:38 PM
i paid for my girlfriend's abortion bout 2 months ago.. It was money well spent..

J-Bol
10-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Don't worry. I'll make sure to have one more to make up for you.

F23
10-30-2009, 08:30 PM

I'm generally against abortion, but sometimes it's necessary - as in the case you just posted.

Do you know what a placental abruption is? It's basically a hemhorrhage between the placenta and the decidua of the uterus. These lead to uteroplacental insufficiency (very poor blood supply) to the fetus, causing abortion or intrauterine growth retardation. For the mother, these often lead to massive blood loss, and even disseminated intravascular coagulation and death. Assuming the diagnosis was accurate, it was stupid of the mother not to abort - she could have very easily died.

http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/images/placentalabruption2.jpg
pic of placental abruption

http://www.moondragon.org/images/placentalabruption.jpg
pic of placenta after placental abruption; the top half of the placenta is a giant blood clot.

Frozen_By_You
10-30-2009, 08:51 PM
What good it is to sterilize yourself if 95%+ of the world will probably never hear of "voluntary extinction"? You may be "doing your part", but everyone else is popping out babies.

Depends on how you view it. Pretty simple for me: i'm right and everybody else is wrong.

The End

wow_strong_misc
10-30-2009, 11:33 PM
It's nice to know we're still talking about Tim Tebow guys

Oh wait

EnergyTurtle
10-31-2009, 01:00 AM
http://www.moondragon.org/images/placentalabruption.jpg
pic of placenta after placental abruption; the top half of the placenta is a giant blood clot.

Wow, Tebow really grew into himself.

US_Ranger
10-31-2009, 01:19 AM

I really hope you're not getting a vasectomy because of your carbon footprint.......

FLAY
10-31-2009, 01:24 AM

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/gocanes_2008/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

ZexCui
10-31-2009, 01:28 AM

lol