PDA

View Full Version : Morning Workouts... what to eat?

ClockworkOwl
10-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone - this is my first post here but definitely won't be my last!

I've been in and out of gyms and gym memberships for years but after seeing pictures of myself at a party last weekend, I'm finally inspired to get back to the weights and try and gain weight.

Presently:
6'3"
165 lbs

My body responds well to exercise and I see results quickly, I also lose those results quicker than most too. I'm just not conditioned to eat enough. I've gone through protein powders in the past with minimal gain but am really interested in ultimately gaining 30 lbs. I truly feel I can eat enough if I concentrate but will be supplementing my diet with a mass gainer shake.

Now, on to my specific question: Literally the ONLY time I have for a consistent workout is at 5am. Without getting too specific, I am out of the house working from 7am - 6pm and after that it is important to me to spend time with my family etc etc etc. Regardless, with having nothing in my stomach at the beginning of the workout am I metabolising muscle durring my workout? Does consuming food/shake right after do a good enough job of repairing tissue or is it essential I have nutrients in my bloodstream prior to working out?

Obviously, like everyone else, I'm just trying to put on muscle efficiently and don't want to get into the habits that hinder that.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

randomhero565
10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
have a shake before you go to the gym, do you go back home after the gym or do you got straight to work? if you go back home make some eggs and oatmeal or a egg sandwich for breakfast

Time2BulkUp
10-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I would even say a quick charge of oatmeal would be essential in getting started. It has carbohydrates in there, protein, fiber, some sugar etc. to get your started. Your first meal is the most important one of the day, but you don't want to go too heavy, especially if you're gonna work out. In the same respect, it will jump start your metabolism and give you energy for the gym. I think overall anything you eat will be ok, just don't go too heavy. You want just enough to give you fuel to pump up! A lot of it is trial and error, but you'll figure it out as long as you stick to it.

jdominic6
10-29-2009, 11:23 AM
It's really pretty easy.

1. Workout every other day, lift heavy, lift to failure. Doesn't matter what time.
2. Eat a lot every day. For simplicity just eat a lot everyday, don't waste time on meal partitioning. Just get a round balance of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats every day.
3. Sleep enough every night.
4. Enjoy spending time with your family!

The biggest advice I can give you is don't be afraid to eat. Don't freak out if you think your are getting fat and restrict your calories again. It takes time and you will begin to build muscle and burn the fat off again. Muscle burns calories.

More calories in vs calories out + maximum muscle stimulus in the gym = growth.

ClockworkOwl
10-29-2009, 11:24 AM
have a shake before you go to the gym, do you go back home after the gym or do you got straight to work? if you go back home make some eggs and oatmeal or a egg sandwich for breakfast

I go home after the gym but I'm just afraid an hour worth of moderately hard workout is putting my muscles into a catabolic state that is doing more harm than good.

jtreece
10-29-2009, 11:26 AM
I workout in the mornings also, not as early as 5 though ;) I've been doing a scoop of whey isolate (faster digestion) with 1/2 cup raw oats, a banana, and a handful of almonds/peanuts. Usually powers me through my workouts well. I then take my Universal Torrent (recovery drink) in a ziplock and drink it on the walk back to my car, then some chicken, sweet potato/rice, and veggies an hour afterwards. Pressed on time? Do this:

5:00 AM - workout
6:00 AM - protein shake/recovery shake (TORRENT FTW!)
6:30 AM - drive to work & eat/take multivitamin in the parking lot
7:00 AM - start work!
6:00 PM - come home, wash the tupperware out!

For the food, make some chicken/rice/veggies in bulk and put in tupperware containers. Before work, warm the tupperware up, seal it, and put it in one of those lunch packs with a warming gel pack ($4 tops..) It'll help keep it somewhat warm. Chow down and go to work! By the time your work day starts, you'll have ~80g Protein, ~80-100g carbs, and your daily allotment of vitamins/minerals pulsing through your blood!

I know I know, it sounds like a lot of work, but your body will thank you! :)

jdominic6
10-29-2009, 11:27 AM
I go home after the gym but I'm just afraid an hour worth of moderately hard workout is putting my muscles into a catabolic state that is doing more harm than good.

As long as your net calories every day for a period of time are in surplus to your gym and daily activities you do not need to worry about this.

wnc817
10-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone - this is my first post here but definitely won't be my last!

I've been in and out of gyms and gym memberships for years but after seeing pictures of myself at a party last weekend, I'm finally inspired to get back to the weights and try and gain weight.

Presently:
6'3"
165 lbs

My body responds well to exercise and I see results quickly, I also lose those results quicker than most too. I'm just not conditioned to eat enough. I've gone through protein powders in the past with minimal gain but am really interested in ultimately gaining 30 lbs. I truly feel I can eat enough if I concentrate but will be supplementing my diet with a mass gainer shake.

Now, on to my specific question: Literally the ONLY time I have for a consistent workout is at 5am. Without getting too specific, I am out of the house working from 7am - 6pm and after that it is important to me to spend time with my family etc etc etc. Regardless, with having nothing in my stomach at the beginning of the workout am I metabolising muscle durring my workout? Does consuming food/shake right after do a good enough job of repairing tissue or is it essential I have nutrients in my bloodstream prior to working out?

Obviously, like everyone else, I'm just trying to put on muscle efficiently and don't want to get into the habits that hinder that.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

If you decide that you are too lazy or whatever to get up early enough to cook, then cook something the night before and chow it down before you work out. Chicken, eggs, whatever, with some oats or fruit.

ClockworkOwl
10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
If you decide that you are too lazy or whatever to get up early enough to cook, then cook something the night before and chow it down before you work out. Chicken, eggs, whatever, with some oats or fruit.

I could shovel in a full breakfast before hand but I wasn't sure having a pound of food/liquid in my stomach and feeling nauseous during the workout was worth it or I would be ok just eating post workout.

SkyQ
10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
greek yogurt - high in protein
granola - ginger snap is my favorite
blueberries/strawberries.
mixed all together

taste great and is perfect before a workout / starts the day off !

wnc817
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I could shovel in a full breakfast before hand but I wasn't sure having a pound of food/liquid in my stomach and feeling nauseous during the workout was worth it or I would be ok just eating post workout.

If you feel sick, don't do it. It is up to you, really. I am biased, because I feel great if I eat an entire day's worth of calories, when I wake up, before my workout. Since I have been cutting, I have found that I like to eat 3 meals worth of cals before I work out, then spread the last two meals out for the rest of the day. Whatever makes you feel good should work.

beeeyandizzle
10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
IMO daily caloric intake is what really matters at the end of the day. Personally, I wake up, go to the gym and do my workout fasted. After that I get in some PWO nutrition and eat breakfast at the same time. I make sure that at the end of the day, I took in the appropriate amount of calories.

I know people who workout fasted and get great results.
I know people who HAVE to have food before working out, and get equally great results.
I think it's more a matter of personal preference.

ClockworkOwl
10-29-2009, 01:02 PM
IMO daily caloric intake is what really matters at the end of the day. Personally, I wake up, go to the gym and do my workout fasted. After that I get in some PWO nutrition and eat breakfast at the same time. I make sure that at the end of the day, I took in the appropriate amount of calories.

I know people who workout fasted and get great results.
I know people who HAVE to have food before working out, and get equally great results.
I think it's more a matter of personal preference.

LOL like everything else when it comes to adding muscle and getting into shape - I suppose it's all personal preference and whatever works for the individual. I guess I was just naive and hopeful that it was an easy answer like "Yes, you NEED a handful of carbs and some protein no matter what!" or something :)

Thanks for your help guys!

randomhero565
10-29-2009, 04:29 PM

as long as your eating you'll be fine, when I have to go to the gym early in the morning I just have 2 scoops of whey and a serving of oatmeal, hit the gym, come home and make my normal breakfast. try that out just make sure your breakfast has a good amount of proteins, carbs, and fats. my breakfast is 5 whole eggs 2 egg whites and 2 servings of oatmeal and some fruit if I got it.

Aeries
10-29-2009, 05:13 PM
I would recommend musli. I love the stuff and by the looks of things, so do my bowels. lol