PDA

View Full Version : Question/Advice on All Natural Peanut Butter...

DrewsDad
10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
I will start by saying I am not a grerat nutrition guy. I've read quite a bit but don't really feel all that educated so please take tha into consideration.

I feel like I am not getting enough fat in my diet based on waht I have been reading so I finally stopped to buy some all natural peanut butter. The store had small containers of basically just ground peanuts, no other ingredients. I figured that would work well so I bought a tub. I planned on having a tablespoon each night with my Whey Shake.

Well, I can hardly eat the stuff. I hate the consistency and the taste =/ I love "regular" peanut butter but am trying to avoid it for the odvious reasons. Guess my expectations were off on this stuff. Anyway, my question....

Whats your opinions on adding a couple drops of honey to a Tablespoon of ground peanuts? Would this defeat the purpose? yeah, I know it's only a couple drops but I am really trying to do the right thing.

Any input?

wyss34
10-29-2009, 07:43 AM
I will start by saying I am not a grerat nutrition guy. I've read quite a bit but don't really feel all that educated so please take tha into consideration.

I feel like I am not getting enough fat in my diet based on waht I have been reading so I finally stopped to buy some all natural peanut butter. The store had small containers of basically just ground peanuts, no other ingredients. I figured that would work well so I bought a tub. I planned on having a tablespoon each night with my Whey Shake.

Well, I can hardly eat the stuff. I hate the consistency and the taste =/ I love "regular" peanut butter but am trying to avoid it for the odvious reasons. Guess my expectations were off on this stuff. Anyway, my question....

Whats your opinions on adding a couple drops of honey to a Tablespoon of ground peanuts? Would this defeat the purpose? yeah, I know it's only a couple drops but I am really trying to do the right thing.

Any input?

You can find "natural peanut butter" that has palm oil and a small amount of sugar added. It removes the hydrogenated oil (the bad stuff) so it is still considered better for bbers, I believe. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

AtTheWall
10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Count the honey calories like it was oats or any other carb. Just don't overdo it. I got some kirkland peanut butter with only peanuts and salt. It stirred pretty easily, stayed very creamy, the oil has not come back up while in the fridge, and it tastes fine. It's not sweet, but if I want I'll add some sugar. Also look at splenda or a bannana for sweet flavor.

sunngodd
10-29-2009, 08:02 AM
you could just eat the regular peanut butter, it won't hurt you.

also, if your diet doesn't have enough fat, 1 tablespoon (half a serving) of peanut butter isn't going to set you straight.

I suspect you have an irrational fear of fat and sugar

DrewsDad
10-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Sunn.... yes, I will TOTALLY own the fact I have a fear of Fat/Sugar.

As I said in my original post, I am not a great nutrition guy. I've been doing pretty good and I am paranoid about doing something to wreck my progress =/

RealMenDeadLift
10-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Sunn.... yes, I will TOTALLY own the fact I have a fear of Fat/Sugar.

As I said in my original post, I am not a great nutrition guy. I've been doing pretty good and I am paranoid about doing something to wreck my progress =/

just know that it wont wreck your progress, what matters is that you are in a caloric deficit, and at your weight you can afford a fairly large deficit

KublaiKhan
10-29-2009, 09:08 AM
The first time I ever ate natural peanut butter, I couldn't stand the taste. I had to mix it half-and-half with "normal" peanut butter or else it just wouldn't go down. It's grown on me so much, though - I much prefer the "earthier" taste of the natural stuff nowadays, and something like Jif or Skippy is too sweet.

So, in other words, maybe give it some time and see if it grows on you, too. But if you just can't do it, eating Skippy or Jif won't kill you.

michealmyers
10-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I used to use just natty PB but have since gone back to regular. Just personal preference. Sure the natty is a little better for you.

Danswat
10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
They also have Jiff and Skippy Natural No Stir PB - tastes exactly the same as regular and has the same macros as all the ones you have to stir. Nice change from the regular natty pb and it comes in creamy and chunky.