PDA

View Full Version : Protein intake of 1g per pound? hey but, it's impossible on math !

Marzullo
10-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I've one year experience of good training and balanced diet little ipercaloric, I gained 20 pounds in 1 year, as results are evident I wanted to optimize my diet and start a carb cycling one, but what I read on the Internet and magazines concerns me.

I always wondered why everyone shouts 1g of proteins per body pound, I mean if I had to eat that much proteins I'd end eating only meat, fish and peanut butter, then my stomach is already full !

Let's say I weight 165 pounds, then I need 165g of proteins, assuming 100g of protein targeted food contain an avg 20% of real proteins, then I'd have to eat 165x5 = 825g. For example the amount of food I can assume daily doesn't overtake 600g at all, because my stomach explodes or it happens I reach the evening meal without hunger. But there is more, I also have to eat carbs a little fats which take space, then the scenario becames impossible...

Is there anyone able to solve my math problem? This doesn't make sense to me..., where is the error?
What's the total amount of food you can eat per pound?

I always meant food which is weightened before cooking, so for example, for me a plate of pasta is 120g, not 200g++ after cooking with all water inside.

PickItUp
10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I ate 1.3lbs (583g) of Chinese food today...and it filled me up for lunch (though no nearly as much as I could eat if it was all you can eat.

I probably eat 3lbs of food each day, and that's about 2500 Cal.

Marzullo
10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I ate 1.3lbs (583g) of Chinese food today...and it filled me up for lunch (though no nearly as much as I could eat if it was all you can eat.

I probably eat 3lbs of food each day, and that's about 2500 Cal.

You weight much more than me (165 vs 238) but you eat 3 times more, there is something I still cannot understand.
I assume you weight stuff before cook, so before water goes into food.

shajadpa
10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I've one year experience of good training and balanced diet little ipercaloric, I gained 20 pounds in 1 year, as results are evident I wanted to optimize my diet and start a carb cycling one, but what I read on the Internet and magazines concerns me.

I always wondered why everyone shouts 1g of proteins per body pound, I mean if I had to eat that much proteins I'd end eating only meat, fish and peanut butter, then my stomach is already full !

Let's say I weight 165 pounds, then I need 165g of proteins, assuming 100g of protein targeted food contain an avg 20% of real proteins, then I'd have to eat 165x5 = 825g. For example the amount of food I can assume daily doesn't overtake 600g at all, because my stomach explodes or it happens I reach the evening meal without hunger. But there is more, I also have to eat carbs a little fats which take space, then the scenario becames impossible...

Is there anyone able to solve my math problem? This doesn't make sense to me..., where is the error?
What's the total amount of food you can eat per pound?

I always meant food which is weightened before cooking, so for example, for me a plate of pasta is 120g, not 200g++ after cooking with all water inside.

You want 1g of protein for each pound of LEAN mass.

You can trim it back too and be ok.
.5 on off days, even .08 on heavy days.

Plus, there is an article floating around here that says the anabolic effects of more than 20g in one shot are not significant.

I think if you can hit over .5 everyday you'll be ok. Eat more steak brah!

Marzullo
10-28-2009, 12:42 PM
You want 1g of protein for each pound of LEAN mass.

You can trim it back too and be ok.
.5 on off days, even .08 on heavy days.

Plus, there is an article floating around here that says the anabolic effects of more than 20g in one shot are not significant.

I think if you can hit over .5 everyday you'll be ok. Eat more steak brah!

then i can trim 10% as I am at 10% of body fat now, I am still there, I need 165*0.9 = 148.5 grams of pure proteins, it's still way too much, it means eating nothing else than that, where should I put the carbs then?
Is this correct calculation of lean mass?

dfast
10-28-2009, 01:02 PM
WTF?

100g of whey protein probably contains around 80g of protein. 100g lean beef probably contains 20g...what's the problem?

100g of protein contains 400 calories, so I don't understand why you're going by the weight of the food unless you've had a gastric band fitted or something.

Marzullo
10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
WTF?

100g of whey protein probably contains around 80g of protein. 100g lean beef probably contains 20g...what's the problem?

100g of protein contains 400 calories, so I don't understand why you're going by the weight of the food unless you've had a gastric band fitted or something.

I eat food, not pure proteins so I weight food.

sunngodd
10-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Option 1: Man up and eat

Option 2: Cry and go home

VTRunner
10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
This thread is a fail. EPIC FAIL! I mean, how can you not eat 165g of protein! Its not that hard! like 6 oz of chicken, a whey shake, some eggs, some milk or cottage cheese, and your there. Everything has protein in it. If you actually counted your calories, you'd probably find how easy it is to get that much protein.

Stop posting if you dont know what the **** your talking about. Its no where near impossible.

Marzullo
10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
This thread is a fail. EPIC FAIL! I mean, how can you not eat 165g of protein! Its not that hard! like 6 oz of chicken, a whey shake, some eggs, some milk or cottage cheese, and your there. Everything has protein in it. If you actually counted your calories, you'd probably find how easy it is to get that much protein.

Stop posting if you dont know what the **** your talking about. Its no where near impossible.

As supposed by this noobish post, something is unknown for me, so I post to ask this specific share of knowledge, what's a forum for then?

Your description is too vague, add up some more numbers and math pls.
Is in the end the rule 1g per total body mass or 1g per lean mass?

charlie335
10-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Its quite simple, try this appraoch.

You need approximately 150g of protiein per day. So divide it up into 6 meals a day, every 2-3 hours. Have 25g of protein per meal. Then when you take into account the extra protein found in carbs, ie oatmeal, rice, bread, etc, you will have eaten well over 1g/lb lean body weight.

Hope this helps.

AkademikProd
10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
As supposed by this noobish post, something is unknown for me, so I post to ask this specific share of knowledge, what's a forum for then?

Its a good thing to ask if you dont know....

There will always be that person who thinks they're a nutritional encyclopedia....

But if you need answers, definitely ask...

But make sure you're getting protein drinks in... At least 3 a day.

BloodRaged
10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
The whole 1g of protein per pound of LBM is a method used to estimate the protein requirements of someone.

There are other methods too, for instance say you needed 2735 calories and you followed a 15/30/55 diet.

That would mean you ended up getting 205g of protein.

Now, the calorie example above is of a male >160-<170 with a moderate activity level. Also using a lean factor of 2, so lets say that the body fat is 15.4%.

So, lets take your 1 for 1(1.5) example... 165 - 15.4% = 140 (rounded up)
That means you would take 140g - 210.

Various means to get to the same ending pretty much. It's all just a hypothesis on how much you need, pay attention to your results and then modify as needed.

Marzullo
10-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Its a good thing to ask if you dont know....

There will always be that person who thinks they're a nutritional encyclopedia....

But if you need answers, definitely ask...

I cannot start other than a noob in nutrition in the end :), thanks for support hehe.

Marzullo
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
The whole 1g of protein per pound of LBM is a method used to estimate the protein requirements of someone.

There are other methods too, for instance say you needed 2735 calories and you followed a 15/30/55 diet.

That would mean you ended up getting 205g of protein.

Now, the calorie example above is of a male >160-<170 with a moderate activity level. Also using a lean factor of 2, so lets say that the body fat is 15.4%.

So, lets take your 1 for 1(1.5) example... 165 - 15.4% = 140 (rounded up)
That means you would take 140g - 210.

Various means to get to the same ending pretty much. It's all just a hypothesis on how much you need, pay attention to your results and then modify as needed.

Ah ok, that makes sense.

grumble1
10-28-2009, 01:40 PM
It's actually pretty easy to get 1g per pound of protein. Drink a gallon of milk, that's 130 grams. Eat two chicken breasts, that's another 90 grams. You're now at 210. Oh look, I really want to eat some steak. Let's eat that, and get another 30 grams. Then I'll drink some whey, that's another 30 grams. I really want to eat some beef jerky, for another 21 grams, and some eggs, for another 28 grams.

You can, without much work, get 200+ grams of protein every day. I find it much harder to get enough total calories, since I have to force feed myself food.

BloodRaged
10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
I think a couple of you got lost in translation.

;)

GermanBarbarian
10-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I cannot start other than a noob in nutrition in the end :), thanks for support hehe.

About half of your calories should be from animal origin bro, and the whole deal with protein requirements is why people are making a big deal about chicken/supplementation so you are not alone in having that problem.

Everything has protein in it, therefore you don't need to hit that mark exactly if your only counting protein from animal sources.

1 cup black beans = 230 Calories 15 grams protein
2 cups brown rice = 430 Calories 10 grams protein
8 oz. lean steak = 480 Calories 64 grams protein
2 Cups Whole Goat Milk =350 Calories 18 grams protein

Total Calories 1490
Total Protein 107 grams protein... and that is with brown rice you could substitute that for a grain a higher in protein and end up around 120-125 grams for 1500 calories

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

PickItUp
10-28-2009, 01:49 PM
You weight much more than me (165 vs 238) but you eat 3 times more, there is something I still cannot understand.
I assume you weight stuff before cook, so before water goes into food.

In this case, it was weighed AFTER it was cooked. I grab a styrofoam container at a nearby all-you-can-eat Chinese place, and pay $3.99 per pound.

This is 1.3lbs of Chinese food...sure, it a nice large portion, but it's not as large as you make it seem...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/E1derful/ChineseFood.jpg

5 dumplings
9 small pieces of butter shrimp
2 pieces of fish (not Chinese, but I like it, so I get it)
1 spring roll
5 pieces of teriyaki chicken
1 spoonful of chicken w/ brocoli

You act like this is almost an entire day's worth of food for you. Is it really? I'll admit that it's easliy 1000 Cal or more...and probably had more fat that it should (30-40 grams)...I am still working on picking the right foods from there. I used to sit down, and eat all that I could. Buying it by the pound will save me money, and help me control portions. I love the dumplings and teriyaki chicken. The shrimp is awesome as well, but I may drop that in favor of something that's not fried.

I plan on eating from there 2-3 days a week. It's convenient to work, and priced right!

FunkymonkAW
10-28-2009, 02:00 PM

6oz chicken breast ~40g protein
whey shake ~25g protein
3 eggs ~18g protein
1 cup cottage cheese ~28g protein
2 cups (about 1 glass) milk ~18g protein

Total just from that: 129g

That's a ridiculously small amount of food too. Getting 1g protein/lb BW is easy

You posts are pretty confusing too man.

VTRunner
10-28-2009, 02:24 PM
6oz chicken breast ~40g protein
whey shake ~25g protein
3 eggs ~18g protein
1 cup cottage cheese ~28g protein
2 cups (about 1 glass) milk ~18g protein

Total just from that: 129g

That's a ridiculously small amount of food too. Getting 1g protein/lb BW is easy

You posts are pretty confusing too man.

Thank you. Someone who knows what they're talking about. I didn't feel like doing the math at the time, but this is exactly what i meant. Plus you'll be getting protein from other things like whole grains, pb, nuts, etc. Its not hard at all to get 165g of protein. And the above poster who said you MUST get 3 whey servings a day, thats bs. u should be able to get most of your protein from whole foods. its not that hard. if you WANT to take 3 servings of whey a day, be my guest. But you could save a lot of money by just eating whole foods.