PDA

View Full Version : Long term health effects of high egg intake

ExpatJohn
10-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey nutrition,

I know there are a ton of egg threads but I've read a crapload of them and haven't found what I'm looking for. I know it's well established that a moderate (6/week) egg intake is fine. I'm looking for a scientific study that looks at long term health effects of high (20-40/week) egg intake.

Closest I've seen so far is a short term 3/day study. Is there anything better? Not looking for broscience. Don't need to hear about the one old guy who has 25/day either.

ExpatJohn
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Quick bump

TommySK
10-16-2009, 11:34 AM
You mean whole eggs? However if you ment egg whites, then I don't think there could possibly be any negative health effects associated with eating them - they are superb protein source. I go through like 100 egg whites a week (and around 15 yolks as well). I've been doing so for a year and no signs of health problems so far.

alles_gut
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
5-10 a day for 2 years i am still up and running. take omega-3 ones and boil them for the win cause i think other then boiling transmutes omegas into other ****

TaoistWarrior
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I eat a shatload of eggs every day, have for years, and have low cholesterol and triglycerides. But I'm on teh ketoz.

SwiftyX
10-16-2009, 11:58 AM
I've eated 5-8 whole eggs daily for 3 years (no keto) and all my bloodwork is well within healthy ranges. Not one issue.

ExpatJohn
10-17-2009, 12:12 AM
I've eated 5-8 whole eggs daily for 3 years (no keto) and all my bloodwork is well within healthy ranges. Not one issue.

Cool. Those of you who have been doing lots of whole eggs and have good or decent cholesterol... do you know what your levels were before you started eating lots of eggs?

Also, not up on the lingo here but I assume "ketoz" would be a diet that puts you in ketosis?

Sash
10-17-2009, 12:32 AM
your body makes its own cholesterol from fats - dietary cholesterol (from eggs) wont make a big difference. If someone was to have bad cholesterol ratio's (too much LDL compared to HDL) you'd first of all want to make sure you're not eating too much saturated fat, and secondly make sure your saturated fat is from healthy sources (basically, avoid junk food).

ExpatJohn
10-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Cool. Those of you who have been doing lots of whole eggs and have good or decent cholesterol... do you know what your levels were before you started eating lots of eggs?

Also, not up on the lingo here but I assume "ketoz" would be a diet that puts you in ketosis?

Bumping for a few answers.

wnc817
10-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey nutrition,

I know there are a ton of egg threads but I've read a crapload of them and haven't found what I'm looking for. I know it's well established that a moderate (6/week) egg intake is fine. I'm looking for a scientific study that looks at long term health effects of high (20-40/week) egg intake.

Closest I've seen so far is a short term 3/day study. Is there anything better? Not looking for broscience. Don't need to hear about the one old guy who has 25/day either.

Everything I have read seems to say that eggs are the best protein source. The only potential problem that I am aware of, is that it may be possible to develop food allergies by eating the same thing all the time. I don't know if this is something that everyone needs to be concerned about. But, even if you did start to become allergic, you could cycle different proteins and be fine at that point.

GermanBarbarian
10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Bumping for a few answers.

A Washington (?post? perhaps) paper had an article on a guy that ate 12 eggs per day for over a decade. They did his blood work and it came back normal.

Lemonzest
10-18-2009, 10:07 AM
You start clucking, and growing feathers

TaoistWarrior
10-18-2009, 11:22 AM
You start clucking, and growing feathers

And also, eating too much chicken/eggs makes you gay. I read it here.

SeaHawk22
10-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I read that thread too but luckily if you stop eating them you go back to being straight. lol

crochele
10-18-2009, 12:40 PM

LOL, on a serious note, I eat 5+ everyday and my cholesterol levels etc are fine.

Cobrakalas
10-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I read that thread too but luckily if you stop eating them you go back to being straight. lol

If I remember correctly, you don't turn gay, you just don't get attracted to women as much as men... but I remember the OP of that thread specifically saying he wasn't gay... :)

humbaba621
10-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey nutrition,

I have always heard 1 yolk per day is a good number...it's the saturated fat and high cholesterol in the egg yolk that can cause your body the biggest health problems long term. Egg whites are a great protein source and will not cause harm to your body. Looking at the effects of eating a whole egg would be like looking at how cholesterol can cause health problems, this is probably why you are having difficulty finding a scientific study specifically centered on eating lots of egg yolks.

ExpatJohn
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I have always heard 1 yolk per day is a good number...it's the saturated fat and high cholesterol in the egg yolk that can cause your body the biggest health problems long term. Egg whites are a great protein source and will not cause harm to your body. Looking at the effects of eating a whole egg would be like looking at how cholesterol can cause health problems, this is probably why you are having difficulty finding a scientific study specifically centered on eating lots of egg yolks.

I've recently encountered a group of people who believe LDL cholesterol does not cause health problems.... =/

It seems well established that dietary cholesterol has only a small impact on blood cholesterol levels. Many people seem to think that there are other benefits of eggs that counteract or more than counteract the dietary cholesterol in them.

russianguy192
10-22-2009, 12:45 AM
I've recently encountered a group of people who believe LDL cholesterol does not cause health problems.... =/

It seems well established that dietary cholesterol has only a small impact on blood cholesterol levels. Many people seem to think that there are other benefits of eggs that counteract or more than counteract the dietary cholesterol in them.

one of my mates said its bad in the long run health wise? not so sure though?

TaoistWarrior
11-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Cholesterol's relationship to cardiovascular health is a hot topic of debate right now. There does seem to be more than a passing suggestion that dietary cholesterol is not the great evil it was made up to be (by big pharma? hmmm...) for most folks. Some people just make more cholesterol endogenously, and their dietary intake doesn't seem to have that much of an impact either way.

The overriding truth is cholesterol is essential to the body. It's not some poisonous compound you must avoid at all costs.

The LDL not being bad for you is related to the fluffy vs. dense types. Fluffy good, dense bad, so the story goes.

Ted Nugent
11-05-2009, 10:23 AM
other then boiling transmutes omegas into other ****

anybody know about this? truth?