PDA

View Full Version : Such thing as cheating on a bulk?

jgreenhaus
10-15-2009, 03:14 PM
If i am clean bulking and one day i decided to have like a piece of cake for or something (moms bday) is this still considered a "cheat" even though im on a bulk? since it is unhealthy and i am otherwise sticking to only healthy or "clean" items would it be considered a cheat off my diet like it would be during a cut

samcanadian
10-15-2009, 03:24 PM
If it's detrimental to the goal you're trying to reach, I guess it'd be called a cheat.

If you're wanting me to say "NO BRO, IT'S NOT A CHEAT, GO AHEAD AND EAT THAT CAKE! **** YEAH!".....don't hold your breath. Cake is bad for you any way you slice it (rimshot) and I don't think it's really acceptable at any time. That being said, it'd hurt you more if you were trying to cut than if you're on a bulk, so I guess it's LESS of a cheat when you're trying to gain weight?

I dunno, I could really go for a piece of cake now so I can't get too righteous on you.

WinSomeLoseNone
10-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Well.. cheating for me includes natural PB and regular non sugar free yogurt. I have not eaten fast food or cakes, candy, fried foods... for over a year now. Completely clean. Just remember what you eat is only going to taste good for a few seconds then it's digested and **** out. So for me cheating and eating things that are unhealthy are unnecessary to living healthy have never had an appeal to me. So I just don't cheat.

I don't eat because I enjoy it I eat because I must if I want to be strong and healthy.

wnc817
10-15-2009, 04:06 PM
If i am clean bulking and one day i decided to have like a piece of cake for or something (moms bday) is this still considered a "cheat" even though im on a bulk? since it is unhealthy and i am otherwise sticking to only healthy or "clean" items would it be considered a cheat off my diet like it would be during a cut

I wouldn't call it cheating, unless it put you over your calorie target or caused you to eat not enough protein. I would recommend only doing that occasionally, though, and not every day.

jgreenhaus
10-15-2009, 05:08 PM
idk, if i can even make myself eat the cake lol i dont rly wanna but its my moms bday and she wants me to

BaneHammer
10-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Yeh if I was trying to get bigger, I'd be keeping it clean, smashing down the calories, but I would still consider crap like cake a cheat meal. So while you're at it throw a couple cheese burgers in the mix and make it worth while :) With cheat meals you're much better off having a big meal once a week rather than having bits here and there throughout the week.

jgreenhaus
10-15-2009, 06:01 PM
alright well instead of cake, just for me she got a like a fruit custard tart from the bakery where she got the cake from. I ate the tart but im not of how bad it is for me, i assume its not great for me though i would guess its better than cake. It looks kinda like this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Qt19NwlJjlg/SUz7IlJ9wQI/AAAAAAAAAas/EWLKzWMP0IQ/s400/PC200028-tamborrino-fruit-tart.jpg

It was like a 1 person item not rly sure how big , maybe 3 in in diameter, anyone got a guess at the cals?

On Fire
10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Cake is bad for you any way you slice it (rimshot) and I don't think it's really acceptable at any time. That being said, it'd hurt you more if you were trying to cut than if you're on a bulk, so I guess it's LESS of a cheat when you're trying to gain weight?

No. Cake is not "bad for you". If your diet is composed solely of cake, then yes, cake will be "bad for you". Cake is simply a typically calorie dense source of carbohydrates and fats, but usually not much protein or nutrients. If you're calorie low for the day, have some cake. If you're on a bulk: Go for it, it'll give you more room to push.

Ryanmckd
10-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Just eat the god damn piece of cake, one slice, don't go overboard. No way to live life worrying so much about food, especially at your age..

jgreenhaus
10-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Just eat the god damn piece of cake, one slice, don't go overboard. No way to live life worrying so much about food, especially at your age..

I know that this should be my thinking, but i am currently recovering from an ED and i still cant get thoughts like this out of my head, they just consume all of my thinking

sooo can someone answer - alright well instead of cake, just for me she got a like a fruit custard tart from the bakery where she got the cake from. I ate the tart but im not of how bad it is for me, i assume its not great for me though i would guess its better than cake. It looks kinda like this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Qt19NwlJjl...fruit-tart.jpg

It was like a 1 person item not rly sure how big , maybe 3 in in diameter, anyone got a guess at the cals?

On Fire
10-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I know that this should be my thinking, but i am currently recovering from an ED and i still cant get thoughts like this out of my head, they just consume all of my thinking

sooo can someone answer - alright well instead of cake, just for me she got a like a fruit custard tart from the bakery where she got the cake from. I ate the tart but im not of how bad it is for me, i assume its not great for me though i would guess its better than cake. It looks kinda like this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Qt19NwlJjl...fruit-tart.jpg

Stop being an idiot and eat it. You don't need to know how many cals is in a 3" in diameter tart that you ate ONCE while bulking. If you were my kid and you asked me that, I'd probably tell you to get a life.

jgreenhaus
10-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Stop being an idiot and eat it. You don't need to know how many cals is in a 3" in diameter tart that you ate ONCE while bulking. If you were my kid and you asked me that, I'd probably tell you to get a life.

Well im not your kid, and you have no idea what it is like to have an ED :)

94jettameowpsst
10-15-2009, 06:38 PM
i honestly didnt see the word "an" before ED and i REALLY thought you meant Erectile Dys.....nvm..

Glad you dont have an ED anymore, and i'd say eating the cake wouldnt be detremental to your goal seeing you're only 16 and 133lbs.

laborm
10-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Considering you're on a bulking diet, the calories would be good!! The only thing that would be bad is the sodium, and glucose. As far as calories go, well, that's the point of a bulk. i'm on a clean bulk, about 90 % clean anyway. I have a cheat meal one a week, usually a large pizza, sometimes a cake. The calories add to your over all calories which like i said, is what you're trying to achieve. And ed can be tough, i know. Anxiety is a big factor in it. If you can learn how to control your thoughts (to an extent, we cant control them completely) it will really help.

Books like dont sweat the small stuff
And every day enlightenment

Are awesome books on how to control thoughts, and give you more knowledge on that subject. Knowledge is power right?

jgreenhaus
10-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Considering you're on a bulking diet, the calories would be good!! The only thing that would be bad is the sodium, and glucose. As far as calories go, well, that's the point of a bulk. i'm on a clean bulk, about 90 % clean anyway. I have a cheat meal one a week, usually a large pizza, sometimes a cake. The calories add to your over all calories which like i said, is what you're trying to achieve. And ed can be tough, i know. Anxiety is a big factor in it. If you can learn how to control your thoughts (to an extent, we cant control them completely) it will really help.

Books like dont sweat the small stuff
And every day enlightenment

Are awesome books on how to control thoughts, and give you more knowledge on that subject. Knowledge is power right?

thanks for the good post man, repped

wnc817
10-15-2009, 06:55 PM
idk, if i can even make myself eat the cake lol i dont rly wanna but its my moms bday and she wants me to

If you don't want to, then why are you even asking? Don't do it. Tell her no.

sukanas
10-15-2009, 07:12 PM
dude, its your freakin mom's birthday

xenowhat
10-15-2009, 07:57 PM
When she blows out the candles she's going to wish her son ate some of her birthday cake with her.

Eat the slice, bro. Try not to worry too much about it, you're on a bulk.

sunngodd
10-16-2009, 11:18 AM
all this over some damn cake?

staydown11
10-17-2009, 11:52 PM
i don't think the cake is the issue, its the OP concerned with eating outside of his macros....... remember, you are bulking, so any calories (albeit empty ones) are a plus for you, as long as they do not replace any of your set daily numbers.. every day if you feel like a bit of that pie or a scoop of that icecream, its ok, just dont make it a habit because of the extra sugar.. what i do, is try to strictly adhere to my diet mon-sat and then on sunday i have whatever i want as long as it is relatively close to my daily macro total.. for me though, the cheat day consists of things like pizza, pasta, milkshakes etc, things that i dont have the other days of the week. this now becomes a clean bulk with one dirty day, for lack of a better description.

this will help you keep you sane, and not adversely affect your diet too much, fwiw

jgreenhaus
10-18-2009, 05:07 AM
i don't think the cake is the issue, its the OP concerned with eating outside of his macros....... remember, you are bulking, so any calories (albeit empty ones) are a plus for you, as long as they do not replace any of your set daily numbers.. every day if you feel like a bit of that pie or a scoop of that icecream, its ok, just dont make it a habit because of the extra sugar.. what i do, is try to strictly adhere to my diet mon-sat and then on sunday i have whatever i want as long as it is relatively close to my daily macro total.. for me though, the cheat day consists of things like pizza, pasta, milkshakes etc, things that i dont have the other days of the week. this now becomes a clean bulk with one dirty day, for lack of a better description.

this will help you keep you sane, and not adversely affect your diet too much, fwiw

Alright, thanks for giving me another way of thinking about it, and thanks for all the posts reassuring me that its alright to eat it lol. I did eat it and you guys are helping me push past the idea that its a horrible thing and you are helping me overcome me ED.

The_Animal11
10-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Well.. cheating for me includes natural PB and regular non sugar free yogurt. I have not eaten fast food or cakes, candy, fried foods... for over a year now. Completely clean. Just remember what you eat is only going to taste good for a few seconds then it's digested and **** out. So for me cheating and eating things that are unhealthy are unnecessary to living healthy have never had an appeal to me. So I just don't cheat.

I don't eat because I enjoy it I eat because I must if I want to be strong and healthy.

strong loosen up man. i eat 6x a day, you damn well better enjoy it or you're gunna get burnt out very soon, then i will have to answer your thread thats titled, "help! i'm so bored with my plain chicken breast and brown rice!"

OP- it is your moms birthday. who cares what kind of diet you're on. its her birthday. you're not in contest prep. EAT THE CAKE! i cant believe your mom had to go out and buy you a seperate sweet ON HER BIRTHDAY.

yes. if you miss your macros, it is a cheat. but if your mom's birthday isnt a time that calls for a cheat meal, what is??