PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that football coaches can verbally destroy a ref?

kyleTX
10-14-2009, 08:14 PM
and not get penalized for it... Yet any mouthing off in basketball is a quick technical foul

GoToSleep
10-14-2009, 08:22 PM
The main reason may be the level of penalty and pace of game. Basketball is too fast paced, the refs dont have time to sit and discuss, where as football and even baseball coaches have time to talk to the officials. Also, in basketball you get 2 techincals before you are thrown out... so you can get one w/out really hurting yourself. Where as baseball you get ejected and are gone, without warning, per say. Football.. not sure I've ever seen a coach ejected.. or penalized for that matter... that is an interesting question though. I think if you watch though, basketball jaws just as much as baseball and football before getting penalized, but I don't know why football coaches get away with more.

C-Squared
10-14-2009, 08:26 PM
and not get penalized for it... Yet any mouthing off in basketball is a quick technical foul

You must have been watching Jim Fassel chewing out the refs after that 2 point conversion attempt haha

kyleTX
10-14-2009, 08:28 PM
You must have been watching Jim Fassel chewing out the refs after that 2 point conversion attempt haha

nah, in the boise st/tulsa game the tulsa coach just ripped the ref a new one for about 2-3 minutes... kept saying "bull****, you're a joke" about 20 times lol

NoS_oUtLaSt
10-14-2009, 08:41 PM
because Football refs are alpha and don't give a **** cause they can kick anyones ass.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4482/edhochuliposterfi8.jpg

Ed Hochuli FTW

dogyo
10-14-2009, 08:41 PM
nah, in the boise st/tulsa game the tulsa coach just ripped the ref a new one for about 2-3 minutes... kept saying "bull****, you're a joke" about 20 times lol

and he was looking for other refs to cuss out too! lol

Suit
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
I am a HS football referee. We don't even get verbally destroyed. Any smart ref knows coaches are full of crap. All coaches are.

I got blacklisted from one HS last week because I didn't call something they wanted.

When coaches "chew us out" and "verbally destroy us" it is because they are crying for a call, which we don't give if it isn't there.