PDA

View Full Version : Do you plan your training months at a time?

Northeasterner
10-13-2009, 07:24 AM
I don't, but right now, I've tentatively forged a plan.

1. present to early/mid November: HST (I'm starting week 4 of 8 weeks tonight)
2. mid-November to either late February or mid-March: Madcow 5x5
3. late February or mid-March to the next 90 days: P90X

I'm very excited about all this, and the only thing I might change is if the HST results at the end of my mesocycle are such that I'll stick to HST as opposed to going to 5x5. But what's not changing is that I'm doing P90X to chisel out my body in early 2010.

GnomusMaximus
10-13-2009, 07:31 AM
sort of, but my sport has a definite season (at least in the Northeast US).

FlexinMike
10-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I never plan it and go as my body goes.

VoxExMachina
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Yes, I plan it for several months at a time. I will decide on a program/split and an overall goal - mass gain, lean out, etc. and then stick with that.

I find that it keeps me focused on the "big picture". Otherwise, it's too easy to have lifting ADD and keep changing what I'm doing - which will get me nowhere.

WesleyInman
10-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Yep, recently started switching it up every second month, from pain tolerance training to DC, then to some type of powerlifting routines for a few weeks, then start over. Seems to be working very well for me.

Northeasterner
10-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Yes, I plan it for several months at a time. I will decide on a program/split and an overall goal - mass gain, lean out, etc. and then stick with that.

I find that it keeps me focused on the "big picture". Otherwise, it's too easy to have lifting ADD and keep changing what I'm doing - which will get me nowhere.

Yeah, I hear ya. For me, it's a sign that my lifting is evolving. Gone are the days I'd just pick a split. Now I actually read and research programs, and determine what my goals are for the time being.

I picked HST as it was very unique, and as it's a mass program. 5x5 as I know it works for me, and p90x because it's supposedly excellent for overall fitness (and to lose fat).

Programs that have attracted my interest, but for the future, are German Volume Training and Westside Barbell Training.

VoxExMachina
10-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I hear ya. For me, it's a sign that my lifting is evolving. Gone are the days I'd just pick a split. Now I actually read and research programs, and determine what my goals are for the time being.

I picked HST as it was very unique, and as it's a mass program. 5x5 as I know it works for me, and p90x because it's supposedly excellent for overall fitness (and to lose fat).

Programs that have attracted my interest, but for the future, are German Volume Training and Westside Barbell Training.

One thing to keep in mind: PROGRESSION is your goal. This means that to grow, you have to continue to move more weight - do more muscular work. If you reach the end of your HST routine and it's working for you, then why change things up? Only when a program has stopped being effective (or if your goal changes) should you think about making large scale changes.

I'm not sure I'd jump from a 5x5 program into a p90x program, for example. They have completely different goals.

I'm not saying that this won't work for you, I'm just saying that you should determine what you are doing based on a) what your goals are and b) whether the program is meeting your goals. Don't just determine that you "want to do this program". Instead, consider how that particular program is going to allow you to progress from where you are more effectively that what you are currently doing.

Don't have too much "workout ADD" or you may wind up making sub-par gains.

Just my two cents.

ntrllftr
10-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Going from a 5x5 to a P90 type of thing sounds like going backwards if you ask me.
Why lose all the hard earned muscle/strength?

Northeasterner
10-13-2009, 09:11 AM
One thing to keep in mind: PROGRESSION is your goal. This means that to grow, you have to continue to move more weight - do more muscular work. If you reach the end of your HST routine and it's working for you, then why change things up? Only when a program has stopped being effective (or if your goal changes) should you think about making large scale changes.

I'm not sure I'd jump from a 5x5 program into a p90x program, for example. They have completely different goals.

I'm not saying that this won't work for you, I'm just saying that you should determine what you are doing based on a) what your goals are and b) whether the program is meeting your goals. Don't just determine that you "want to do this program". Instead, consider how that particular program is going to allow you to progress from where you are more effectively that what you are currently doing.

Don't have too much "workout ADD" or you may wind up making sub-par gains.

Just my two cents.

You're right. I have planned to do the Madcow 5x5 next because, frankly, it worked wonders for me earlier this year, and as it'll be the beginning of winter, it'd be the ideal time to bulk.

As for P90X: I have never been "ripped" and am already somewhat "bulky" and "thick" by my standards. I will most certainly be even thicker and bigger at the end of the next 5x5, and I'd like to use P90X to refine the size.

DaddyR
10-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't fall for any of the modern fancy-sounding training programs. From time to time I will read up on them and discover the basic concepts behind them and that knowledge may feed into my choice the next time I feel the need to change things up, but by then I am not thinking of them in terms like "HST", "DC", "P90x", "FST-7" etc.

It's all just working out. More reps, fewer reps, more weight, less weight, more rest, less rest, more sets, fewer sets. variety is the spice of life, but getting hung up on fancy names is not my bag. Yesterday's GVT is tomorrow's "BigDude x100 system".

meh.

Planning months at a time? Only in that I plan to stick to whatever my current rutine may be for at least several months, and then if and when the gains start to slow, I'll head back to the drawing board and think up a new routine that'll do me for at least the next several more months.

ironwill2008
10-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I've always planned out my training, at least a "big picture" type of plan. I know that in the Winter, I'm going to work more on strength than hypertrophy, and then reverse that in the spring. I don't value frequent change; I go by progression. If I'm constantly jumping from one thing to another, there is no continuity, and no opportunity to progress cetain lifts.

As far as exercises/sets/reps, I depend on previous experience to guide me to what works best for me in whatever instance I'm training.

Mark1T
10-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Going from a 5x5 to a P90 type of thing sounds like going backwards if you ask me.

Ditto.

There is no way I can plan that far in advance, because I don't know where my strength and progress with each exercise/movement will be.

I agree with Nitro: Why go from building muscle to shrink-wrapping?

Mark1T
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I've always planned out my training, at least a "big picture" type of plan. I know that in the Winter, I'm going to work more on strength than hypertrophy, and then reverse that in the spring. I don't value frequent change; I go by progression. If I'm constantly jumping from one thing to another, there is no continuity, and no opportunity to progress cetain lifts.

As far as exercises/sets/reps, I depend on previous experience to guide me to what works best for me in whatever instance I'm training.

This type of planning is great.

silverlightning
10-13-2009, 01:17 PM
mine are basically the same routines. i change it up by starting out with different compounds moves, i.e. db incline press, or decline barbell press etc. also i'll include tri's or bi's in my chest/back days, or train them separtely. change rep range-6-8/8-12 or a mix of both. also isolation exercises, or compound movements are added, or deleted depending on what body part i'm trying to bring up. recently i've add FST-7-Fascia stretch training.

medjen
10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
As for P90X: I have never been "ripped" and am already somewhat "bulky" and "thick" by my standards. I will most certainly be even thicker and bigger at the end of the next 5x5, and I'd like to use P90X to refine the size.

IMO, there are better/cheaper/simpler ways to get "ripped" than P90X. Eat less and do more cardio and you can get there.

Of course, I quit P90X on day 36 or there abouts since a) I looked fatter, b) I was freaking tired of Tony Horton's face every day and c) I missed heavy weights and "normal" lifting instead of doing things like "scarecrows" and "lawnmowers" so take that opinion for what you will.

My big picture training plan these days is a bit fuzzy. I'm getting over the training ADD myself and just trying to be consistent with something for a few months at a time (training and calories).

sportsfan69
10-14-2009, 01:30 AM
I absolutely plan a month out. Sometimes more (12 weeks). For me, it helps to have some targets and dates to hit those targets. People that complete in BB shows, PL meets, races, and etc. always do this.....it makes sense for me.

but....and there always is a but.....

some people have a different personality and they like to go more by feel and that works for them.

IronCharles
10-14-2009, 05:16 AM
I never plan it and go as my body goes.

This is my strategy also. I can't predict where I will be with my training, or what specifics I need to focus on, months in advance. I don't even know how many sets or reps or exactly what exercises and in what order I will be training tonight, let alone next year.

Some people do well in a structured environment. I am not one of them.

Byakuya
10-14-2009, 06:07 AM
mine are planned out two months in advance.. next week is my scheduled week off, but the following week will start my next two month plan.. the attached spreadsheet is what I use to plan my workouts.. I generally choose two exercises per workout to cross out and I vary which ones I cross out week by week.. that way I'm not always doing exactly the same thing.. I also alternate my focus from one week to the next.. one week is higher weight, the next week is higher reps, etc..

greyhair
10-14-2009, 06:09 AM
mine are planned out two months in advance.. next week is my scheduled week off, but the following week will start my next two month plan.. the attached spreadsheet is what I use to plan my workouts.. I generally choose two exercises per workout to cross out and I vary which ones I cross out week by week.. that way I'm not always doing exactly the same thing.. I also alternate my focus from one week to the next.. one week is higher weight, the next week is higher reps, etc..

Very similar for me, I plan out for 8-16 weeks, depending on the program and use a spread sheeton a PDA to measure progress.

kimm4
10-14-2009, 06:24 AM

P90X like any other training program has nothing to do with losing fat/getting ripped. This look you're tying to achieve all falls back on your diet.

I never plan my training for months at a time. My workouts are planned weekly and adjustments are made depending on how my body is feeling.

soleuvanathlete
10-14-2009, 08:13 AM
I never plan my training for months at a time. My workouts are planned weekly and adjustments are made depending on how my body is feeling.

^Ditto

I do use a workout log that I take to the gym, having written out my exercises, #s, no. of sets, etc. the evening before.

egoatdoor
10-14-2009, 05:08 PM
As for me, I do plan my training cycles in advance. Since April, I have done 5x5 Strength Training, FST 7 and DC, all for weeks or months at a time and am beginning another 7 weeks of 5x5 on Sunday. Its all with the intent of reaching my off season goal of gaining as much quality muscle mass as possible.

Probably in November, I will start working on a schedule to take me into March as my goals from then on (the beginning of December) will change.

IMO, there are better/cheaper/simpler ways to get "ripped" than P90X. Eat less and do more cardio and you can get there.

Of course, I quit P90X on day 36 or there abouts since a) I looked fatter, b) I was freaking tired of Tony Horton's face every day and c) I missed heavy weights and "normal" lifting instead of doing things like "scarecrows" and "lawnmowers" so take that opinion for what you will.

P90X like any other training program has nothing to do with losing fat/getting ripped. This look you're tying to achieve all falls back on your diet.

I agree with all of this and have been skeptical of P90X since day one. It claims to get anyone "ripped" in 90 days. If an already in decent condition bodybuilder takes 12-16 weeks to get into "ripped" condition for a contest, how can an ordinary Joe or Jane do it in 90 days??? It is also a one size fits all cookie cutter routine. So, it will be just as effective for a 95 pound ectomorph as it will be for 300 pound endomorph? Yeah, right.

Its just another infomercial based fitness rip off, but people continue to buy it.

Northeastener, I think you will be making an expensive mistake.

And Medjen, did you take advantage of their "Money Back Guarantee if you do not get ripped in 90 days"?

medjen
10-14-2009, 05:31 PM
And Medjen, did you take advantage of their "Money Back Guarantee if you do not get ripped in 90 days"?

Since I didn't do it for 90 days, I probably invalidated my warranty. :D

egoatdoor
10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
And that's part of the scam. There are thousands like you who did not get what they paid for, but few, if any, ask for their money back. Its easy money for the seller.

medjen
10-14-2009, 06:47 PM
And that's part of the scam. There are thousands like you who did not get what they paid for, but few, if any, ask for their money back. Its easy money for the seller.

Eh. Got it cheap off eBay so not too worried about it, personally.

Northeasterner
10-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Northeastener, I think you will be making an expensive mistake.

P90X, you mean?

egoatdoor
10-16-2009, 03:37 PM
P90X, you mean?

Yes.