PDA

View Full Version : I beg you. Someone please help me and save me the cost of paying a nutritionist!!!

Bruinfan280
10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Ok guys,

I will try to keep this short. I have worked out for months at a time on many occasions but always quit. Part of the reason i always end up stopping is that i put on muscle, BUT i put on a lot of fat as well....

So I end up looking big but instead a lot of it is fat covering my muscle....I dont want that to happen this time. Part of my problem - i think - is that whenever i start to lift i overestimate the amount of food that i need...So, even though i eat clean, I overeat because Im afraid of not getting enough nutrients....

So inevitably, I put on weight that I dont want. My bf% is probably somewhere in the mid 20s and I have a bit of a gut....I have always found it hard for me to lose weight....

Since working out for the past week, I eat 6 meals a day 3 hours apart and get 1g protein per lb of bodyweight....But i guess my meals are too big because I can see my gut getting a bit bigger...

So this is a pain in the ass. I want to gain some muscle but I dont want to get so fat while doing it. What is the point of that?

Someone please help!!!

wnc817
10-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok guys,

I will try to keep this short. I have worked out for months at a time on many occasions but always quit. Part of the reason i always end up stopping is that i put on muscle, BUT i put on a lot of fat as well....

So I end up looking big but instead a lot of it is fat covering my muscle....I dont want that to happen this time. Part of my problem - i think - is that whenever i start to lift i overestimate the amount of food that i need...So, even though i eat clean, I overeat because Im afraid of not getting enough nutrients....

So inevitably, I put on weight that I dont want. My bf% is probably somewhere in the mid 20s and I have a bit of a gut....I have always found it hard for me to lose weight....

Since working out for the past week, I eat 6 meals a day 3 hours apart and get 1g protein per lb of bodyweight....But i guess my meals are too big because I can see my gut getting a bit bigger...

So this is a pain in the ass. I want to gain some muscle but I dont want to get so fat while doing it. What is the point of that?

Someone please help!!!

The first thing you should do is buy a food scale. If you don't have one right now, then order one tonight from amazon dot com or wherever. I got one from walmart dot com for about 18 bucks. Measure everything and count every calorie. Also, get a rough estimate of what your maintenance calorie intake is. If you want to gain weight, but minimize fat gains, eat only a few hundred calories over your maintenance level. But first, you have to figure out exactly how much you are eating now.

Once you figure out how much you can eat per day, without gaining weight for a few weeks, you can cut or bulk from there. When you are bulking, eat as much as 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight and .5 grams of fat per pound. Fill the rest in with carbs. When you cut, eat at least 1g of protein per pound, but try to still eat the .5 grams of healthy fats as well.

Controlling your weight is all about knowing how much you are eating and how much you need to eat to gain or lose. Good luck.

exy
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Multiply your LEAN BODY weight x 12

add 300 to that number, and that is the number of calories you should consume to do it right, use fitday.com to create a meal plan you will follow.

get 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat to make up all your calories, because 1g protein and 1g carb make up 4 calories each, and 9 calories for every g of fat.

Make sure you eat vegetables every day, take a multivitamin and fishoil, and eat more meat than powder.

That's how you bulk. To get awesome results, do roids.

BaneHammer
10-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Multiply your LEAN BODY weight x 12

add 300 to that number, and that is the number of calories you should consume to do it right, use fitday.com to create a meal plan you will follow.

get 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat to make up all your calories, because 1g protein and 1g carb make up 4 calories each, and 9 calories for every g of fat.

Make sure you eat vegetables every day, take a multivitamin and fishoil, and eat more meat than powder.

That's how you bulk. To get awesome results, do roids.

Solid advice. Your probably putting on fat because you are over doing the sauces or carbs. Stick to the above macro's and keep your cals to the above formula to start with and go from there.

45poundbench
10-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Solid advice. Your probably putting on fat because you are over doing the sauces or carbs. Stick to the above macro's and keep your cals to the above formula to start with and go from there.

I don't get how that's solid advice, using his formula my projected maintenance is 700 calories lower then it is.

OP, you have to experiment to figure out what your maintenance is,

You could use the poster above's formula, and if you begin losing weight, add about 100-200 calories a day, eventually your weightloss should diminish, and soon you'll be adding about half a pound a week, don't push it more than half a pound a week, i added about 10 pounds LBM and a total of 13-14 pounds or so adding only half a pound a week last year, keep in mind i worked hard and stuck with my diet.

sni2pal
10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
1. Get a fat caliper to measure your body fat percentage.
2. Use the Katch-McArdle formula to calculate your maintenance calories.
3. Use CalorieKing, Fitday, or something similar to keep track of your caloric and protein intake.
4. Adjust your maintenance calories on your lifting days by adding 500C more for every hour of working out.
5. Eat at least 1gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.
6. Eat 500C under maintenance every day to lose 1 pound of fat a week.
7. Eat 250-500C over maintenance every day when you bulk.
8. Weight yourself and take caliper measurements once a week to see if the maintenance calories and protein intake need adjustment.

Profit=1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4733/thumbsupmansmall.jpg