PDA

View Full Version : if i eat more than 100% of daily sodium...

IKnowWhoYouAre
10-06-2009, 11:02 PM
but i drink over 100 oz of water

will i be ok?

if i raise the sodium one day but raise water that same day will i be ok?
((thnking about blood pressure cuz i like eatin chicken sausage but they have like 33% of daily sodium lol)

IKnowWhoYouAre
10-08-2009, 06:19 PM
bump

xAlphax
10-08-2009, 06:31 PM
but i drink over 100 oz of water

will i be ok?

if i raise the sodium one day but raise water that same day will i be ok?
((thnking about blood pressure cuz i like eatin chicken sausage but they have like 33% of daily sodium lol)

FDA guidelines are just that, sodium should only be a concern if you suffer from hbp.

eddiebo
10-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Even if you drink more water, as I understand more sodium than your kidneys can eliminate can lead to increased blood volume which can equal increased pressure in your arteries/high blood pressure.

eddiebo
10-08-2009, 06:39 PM
FDA guidelines are just that, sodium should only be a concern if you suffer from hbp.

I would agree with that to a degree. How your body handles the excess and if you are susceptible to hbp is probably key. Though I personally don't know if I am or you are. Or if there is a common test to find out. So is much salt an issue for you or I, don't know.

snorkelman
10-08-2009, 06:58 PM
You cannot intelligently discuss sodium restrictions without looking at the potassium in your diet. You should look into that connection and make sure that you are eating plenty of potassium-rich foods and stop worrying about sodium unless you already have high blood pressure.

Confuzzl3dOn3
10-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I know that it's true that sodium will cause increased water retention which should make you look more bloated, which is why competitive BBers need to watch their sodium intake, but i was wondering if that was that necessary as a normal person with healthy kidneys should be able to regulate sodium levels, by increasing sodium excretion....but anyways is the effect of a high sodium intake (if you do not have high BP or anything) minimal on the degree of bloating?

Redcutter
10-08-2009, 08:21 PM
You cannot intelligently discuss sodium restrictions without looking at the potassium in your diet. You should look into that connection and make sure that you are eating plenty of potassium-rich foods and stop worrying about sodium unless you already have high blood pressure.

This. Keep your electrolytes balanced and you'll be ok.

tjsunstein
10-08-2009, 08:24 PM
What should the ratio of potassium to sodium be?

Bakers Man
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Or if there is a common test to find out. So is much salt an issue for you or I, don't know.I know they have blood pressure machines at most Walmarts neer the pharmaceutical section, but not totally sure on accuracy of course, but am fairly confident w/ it. Or you could just go to your doctor.

eddiebo
10-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I know they have blood pressure machines at most Walmarts neer the pharmaceutical section, but not totally sure on accuracy of course, but am fairly confident w/ it. Or you could just go to your doctor.

Thanks. Though I meant if one is suspecptible to an issue from having high sodium levels on a regular basis, not so much if a high blood pressure issue already exists. Thats an easy one, hell even some eye doctors test patients blood pressure ;-)

IKnowWhoYouAre
10-09-2009, 01:19 PM
You cannot intelligently discuss sodium restrictions without looking at the potassium in your diet. You should look into that connection and make sure that you are eating plenty of potassium-rich foods and stop worrying about sodium unless you already have high blood pressure.can you school me on this?

i eat one banana per day and potatoes and one more serving of veggies = usually bell peppers.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/potassium-rich-foods-list-of-foods-high-in-potassium.html

what should the ratio be?

if i do that but eat a soidum rich food will i be ok if i raise the water intake

snorkelman
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20081116-LIFE-811160303

That should steer you in the right direction. Then go ahead and google

sodium potassium balance

eddiebo
10-09-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20081116-LIFE-811160303

That should steer you in the right direction. Then go ahead and google

sodium potassium balance

I see what you mean while excess sodium can act an an "anti-diuretic" (for lack of a better word) and potassium as a diuretic and both need to be in balance within the body for proper function...

Though, say hypothetically someone is consuming a good deal more of the MINERAL sodium, more that your body can flush in a reasonable amount of time. You would have them consume more of the MINERAL potassium?? WOuldn't there be a build up and a potential deficiency absorbing other minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron possibly leading to a deficiency? Though adding more potassium may do the trick just fine, I must admit I am confused.