PDA

View Full Version : In order to gain pounds (muscle mass)

evidencex
10-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I've gathered that I must:

Consume my target body weights in protein. For example, I'm a decent 180lbs with some definition, but I want to be slightly larger in size (a good 200lbs). Soooo! I must have TWO-HUNDRED grams of protein!!??

- How the HELL do I do that? The only way I see is protein powder (shakes). But, which ones? Muscle Milk (tried that, no results really), Whey Protein (I think I lost weight or "maintained" my weight with that. I don't know maybe I was doing something wrong.

My next question is:
- Do I HAVE to eat BEFORE and AFTER workout? If so, a shake before? Shake+Chocolate promax bar after? I want to save money and I'm not that big on supps as I used to be I want that natural CHISELED look.

Last question:
CREATINE! What is the deal with it? I read (on this site) that it retains water INSIDE the cell instead of outside, which means its "ok" to use.

I eat fairly well for being a college student. Oatmeal w/ eggs, 1 hard boil egg (hate the test though), sausage link (about 3), scrambled eggs (w/ pepper) and "reduced-fat" milk. Lunch: varies (usually beef w/ rice) or a pasta dish. Dinner probably a pasta dish and beef anything that ISN'T fried. I always asked for the grilled chicken too.

Let me know guys...I've searched and tried everything...I just want to gain muscle (20lbs), a more defined abdomen and that's pretty much it. I'll cap it there. I don't want to be a huge bodybuilder or anything...

determined4000
10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
4oz chicken, 1c eggbeaters or whites, 1 scoop protein= 24 g
At your size you should have no trouble eating 6-8 oz of meat 3x's a day and a glass of milk
If you do 6oz w/ milk, that is 132
Add a scoop of protein for your workout-- 155ish Add in all the other foods you eat (from carbs and fat and you will be over 200g)

evidencex
10-06-2009, 09:02 PM
4oz chicken, 1c eggbeaters or whites, 1 scoop protein= 24 g
At your size you should have no trouble eating 6-8 oz of meat 3x's a day and a glass of milk
If you do 6oz w/ milk, that is 132
Add a scoop of protein for your workout-- 155ish Add in all the other foods you eat (from carbs and fat and you will be over 200g)

What is exactly, 1c eggbeaters or whites? And when yo list this are you speaking of in terms of lunch and dinner? How I measure chicken/meat in terms of ounces (oz)

And i guess I for sure need protein supps

Really quick: WHEY or MUSCLE MILK?

ilove2run
10-06-2009, 09:04 PM
What is exactly, 1c eggbeaters or whites? And when yo list this are you speaking of in terms of lunch and dinner?

And i guess I for sure need protein supps

Really quick: WHEY or MUSCLE MILK?

Supplements aren't needed really, food>supplements IMO, but if you HAVE to i'd go with Whey since it's cheaper.

And 1c eggbeats or whites, is just egg whites, you know the white part of the egg w/o the yolk (yellow part)

orosuctus
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM
5 eggs in the morning- 30g
Protein Shake- 50g
Peanut Butter Sandwich- 20g
1 Cup Raw Almonds- 20g
8oz Chicken- 35g
Protein Shake- 50g
Any other meat 8oz- 30g

In order from Monring to Night. about 240g and that doent include milk and proein bar. I shouldnt be hard to get to 200g. You'll be fine

waynebw
10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
... I want that natural CHISELED look.
... I don't want to be a huge bodybuilder or anything...

I hate when people say this shi* on bb forums

The_Animal11
10-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Consume my target body weights in protein. For example, I'm a decent 180lbs with some definition, but I want to be slightly larger in size (a good 200lbs). Soooo! I must have TWO-HUNDRED grams of protein!!??

- How the HELL do I do that? The only way I see is protein powder (shakes). But, which ones? Muscle Milk (tried that, no results really), Whey Protein (I think I lost weight or "maintained" my weight with that. I don't know maybe I was doing something wrong.

My next question is:
- Do I HAVE to eat BEFORE and AFTER workout? If so, a shake before? Shake+Chocolate promax bar after? I want to save money and I'm not that big on supps as I used to be I want that natural CHISELED look.

Last question:
CREATINE! What is the deal with it? I read (on this site) that it retains water INSIDE the cell instead of outside, which means its "ok" to use.

I eat fairly well for being a college student. Oatmeal w/ eggs, 1 hard boil egg (hate the test though), sausage link (about 3), scrambled eggs (w/ pepper) and "reduced-fat" milk. Lunch: varies (usually beef w/ rice) or a pasta dish. Dinner probably a pasta dish and beef anything that ISN'T fried. I always asked for the grilled chicken too.

Let me know guys...I've searched and tried everything...I just want to gain muscle (20lbs), a more defined abdomen and that's pretty much it. I'll cap it there. I don't want to be a huge bodybuilder or anything...

Dude,
1) if you wanna gain weight AND you're asking yourself if you HAVE to eat at certain times (especially pre/post workout), then you have the wrong mindset for gaining weight.
2) protein powders do not GIVE you results. You will not see "progress" just because you are taking the right protein powder, just pick one that you like the taste of and roll with it (I personally like xtreme formulations ultra peptide whey)
3) creatine, there is much more to it than water retention. It is the most thoroughly studied supplement on the market today. Basically, creatine phosphate is a high energy storage system that regenerates ATP when your muscles use it during exercise. The idea is the more of it you have in your cell, the faster ATP can be regenerated.
3) easiest way for me to get more protein is eat more meals. 200 grams protein is like 30 ounces of lean meat, in 3 meals that seems pretty hefty (10 ounces per meal), but in 6 meals (5 ounces each) it's much more managable.

And before you ask, yes, you can bring stuff with you to class. 5 ounces of turkey is like 5 nice size slices of deli meat, just take it with you from the cafe.

evidencex
10-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Supplements aren't needed really, food>supplements IMO, but if you HAVE to i'd go with Whey since it's cheaper.

And 1c eggbeats or whites, is just egg whites, you know the white part of the egg w/o the yolk (yellow part)

Lol ok I'm lost forgive me... are you referring to hardboiled? Then I can see the white part around the grayish/yellow part. And I agree with food>supplements but I really want to gain pounds....and I agree with Whey (whatevers cheaper)!

evidencex
10-06-2009, 09:21 PM

bro, I'm just looking for help...I'm new to bodybuilding forums in general. Thanks for contributing to the topic question though -_-

RaaawR
10-06-2009, 09:21 PM

I know brah, they say like it was easy..

They probably think that if the take whey protein, 3 months later they will be like Ronnie..

evidencex
10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
5 eggs in the morning- 30g
Protein Shake- 50g
1 Cup Raw Almonds- 20g
8oz Chicken- 35g
Protein Shake- 50g
Any other meat 8oz- 30g

In order from Monring to Night. about 240g and that doent include milk and proein bar. I shouldnt be hard to get to 200g. You'll be fine

Now, I can roll with this because I have all these ingredients already!

orosuctus
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Now, I can roll with this because I have all these ingredients already!

Its simple and basic. Try and eat some veggies too in between or with meals and take a multi-vitamin. Use this as a starting block and build from here. You can add tuna, pork, ground beef, salmon, tilapia, beans. Give it a try its really not hard to get 200g.

BFJ
10-06-2009, 09:40 PM

My next question is:

Last question:

lol, i appreciate your concern, but most bodybuilders are getting in tons of protein almost second nature so i doubt getting in enough will be a problem once you get the hang of things.

eating before and after workouts is extremely important, but then you immediately jump to how u don't want to pay for supplements. there's no rule that says what you have before and after has to be supplements.

creatine has multiple benefits as newer research is showing. it's a great supplement with nothing really convincing to say it's unsafe. have at it if you'd like.

good luck and train hard.

evidencex
10-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Calories 120.00

Calories from Fat 10.00

Total Fat 1.00 g 2%

Saturated Fat 0.50 g 3%

Cholesterol 30.00 mg 10%

Total Carbohydrate 3.00 g 1%

Sugars 1.00 g

Protein 24.00 g 48%

Calcium 140.00 mg 14%

Sodium 60.00 mg 3%

Potassium 220.00 mg 6%

Enzyme Blend 25.00 mg **

Aminogen **

Patented Bioactive Polypeptide enzyme ststem **

Lactase (standardized to 100000 FCC units/g) **

** Daily Value (DV) not established

----
I don't need that many calories to bulk up???