PDA

View Full Version : best defensive college football player ever

ezmac31
09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
who you got? being a homer, im going with charles woodson. of coarse hes got the heisman, but he also had a huge impact in every close game UM won in the 1997 national champion season. He was a total ball hawk, but could also really lay the wood coming up on the run. I am curious who you guys got....

beer n brats
09-24-2009, 11:38 AM
my boi chuck woodson.

ESPforMe
09-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Charles in charge FO SHO

Honerable mentions:

Lavarr Arrington- Dude just dominated at PSU. I was scared just watching him

Javon Kearse- Called 'the freak' for good reason.

Derrick Brooks- He's the player I think of when I think of Florida State

IraHays
09-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Brian Bosworth

Madanzi
09-24-2009, 11:47 AM
dwayne johnson

dirtdickens
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Antoine Winfield

ezmac31
09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Charles in charge FO SHO

Honerable mentions:

i remember andy katzenmoyer being a pretty bad mofo too...

dirtdickens
09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Katzenmoyer sucked. Bellasari made the Big Kat what he was, a free lancing dumbass. The dude got knocked down as many times as he made a crushing hit.

*Went to HS with and nailed his wife. True story.

bustermac
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Sean Taylor.

robogain
09-24-2009, 12:51 PM
mike mitchell

thegenerel
09-24-2009, 01:08 PM
batman15

thegenerel
09-24-2009, 01:10 PM
oh and repost

caj
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Brian Bosworth

That's who came to mind when I saw the thread title.

Messiahtype
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
1. LT
2. Peter Boulware
3. Deion
4. Charles Woodson
5. Brian Bosworth

Iraq Attaq
09-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Charles in charge FO SHO

Honerable mentions:

I like this list.

iamgenus
09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Charles Woodson...tough to argue with him being the only defensive player to win a Heisman.

Grind4Mine
09-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Warren Sapp or PatrickBateman1 backup to the scout team MLB on an unknown D1 college football team, the dude could flat out work a vcr on tape day

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Charles Woodson...tough to argue with him being the only defensive player to win a Heisman.

Lawrence Taylor
Sean Taylor....10 int's as a free saftey...6'3 230....But Woodson was good though

wsuwarrior
09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Woodson and Arrington

Horns3
09-24-2009, 03:34 PM
sean taylor...dude was a hawk, and made plays all the time

gmenfan40
09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Celebrities/G_L/La_Ld/Lawrence_Taylor/crops/lawrence-taylor01.jpg

wynner64
09-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Gotta go with Woodson. Although, Arrington does make a pretty good case...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4GoBoY7DdA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4GoBoY7DdA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You also have to remember that punt returning and offense also played into Woodson's Heisman status. Not taking away from him entirely as a defensive player, but he did have a punt returns for a TD to help him out, not to mention a few offensive TD's. Surprisingly though, during his Heisman year he never had a pick 6...

socrates07
09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Sean taylor not even close for me, the dude just scared the sh*t out of quarterbacks.

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Sean Taylor was a better defensive player than Woodson. I am not taking nothing away from him but Taylor was better.
To be real Woodson would have had a hard time even starting at the Univ of Miami at CB.

Bulldog0520
09-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Sean Taylor was a better defensive player than Woodson. I am not taking nothing away from him but Taylor was better.
To be real Woodson would have had a hard time even starting at the Univ of Miami at CB.

...not sure if serious

6zd7sTo-SOk

Come on man...

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
...not sure if serious

6zd7sTo-SOk

Come on man...

I am dead serious
f1ru2603cYw

rgTm8nAeq7Q

Bulldog0520
09-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Wasn't necessarily disagreeing with the Sean Taylor part, that is definitely up for debate. I was referring to

"To be real Woodson would have had a hard time even starting at the Univ of Miami at CB."

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Wasn't necessarily disagreeing with the Sean Taylor part, that is definitely up for debate. I was referring to

"To be real Woodson would have had a hard time even starting at the Univ of Miami at CB."

I meant that comment. I am not saying he wouldn't but he would have had some SERIOUS competition. Sean Taylor didn't even start as good as he was until other graduated.

Here is what Woodson had to compete with
Phillip Buchannon was the truth
Antrel Rolle was the truth
Kelly Jennings was very good
Mike Rumph was good

Do you see my point?

Bulldog0520
09-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I meant that comment. I am not saying he wouldn't but he would have had some SERIOUS competition. Sean Taylor didn't even start as good as he was until other graduated.

Here is what Woodson had to compete with
Phillip Buchannon was the truth
Antrel Rolle was the truth
Kelly Jennings was very good
Mike Rumph was good

Do you see my point?

Come on...I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue this. Woodson is widely considered one of the greatest college football players ever. He's EASILY better than those four listed. The corners at Miami benefited by having great safeties behind them, giving them the ability to be more aggressive with ball hawks in the back.

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Come on...I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue this. Woodson is widely considered one of the greatest college football players ever. He's EASILY better than those four listed. The corners at Miami benefited by having great safeties behind them, giving them the ability to be more aggressive with ball hawks in the back.

Woodson was the man but I stand behind what I said. He would have some tough competition at the U. The comment you made about how Miami corners benefited by having great safeties is nit picking, I could say that Woodson played in the slow big 10 conference where he didn't have to worry about guarding fast receivers but that's not the point. He was very good but the corners I listed were also.

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 05:20 PM
And Deion Sanders was a better than Woodson anyway

ESPforMe
09-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Woodson was the man but I stand behind what I said. He would have some tough competition at the U. The comment you made about how Miami corners benefited by having great safeties is nit picking, I could say that Woodson played in the slow big 10 conference where he didn't have to worry about guarding fast receivers but that's not the point. He was very good but the corners I listed were also.
I don't know about the B10 not having WRs. Off the top of my head at that time in the conf there was DBoston, Tim Dwight, Chris Chambers, Mike Furrey, Joe Jurevicius, I think Plax was there. They played some pretty good players and teams.

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't know about the B10 not having WRs. Off the top of my head at that time in the conf there was DBoston, Tim Dwight, Chris Chambers, Mike Furrey, Joe Jurevicius, I think Plax was there. They played some pretty good players and teams.

I never said anything about the receivers not being good, I said they were not as fast as receivers in other conferences with the exception of Tim Dwight. But I will give woodson is props but best defensive player ever...hell no! Like I said he wasn't even the best DB ever. And he would have had stiff competition if he was at the U.

hublife
09-24-2009, 06:31 PM
My list would look like this. Also take into account I didn't watch College Football in the early 80's as I was just a little guy. This isn't in any particular order...

Sean Taylor
Derrick Brooks
Warren Sapp
Charles Woodson
Lavarr Arrington
Deion Sanders
Jevon Kearse
Junior Seau

And you can't forget what an absolute BEAST Terrell Suggs was in college...he was amazing to watch.

bigbi21
09-24-2009, 06:35 PM
who you got? being a homer, im going with charles woodson. of coarse hes got the heisman, but he also had a huge impact in every close game UM won in the 1997 national champion season. He was a total ball hawk, but could also really lay the wood coming up on the run. I am curious who you guys got....

SEAN "motherf*ckin" TAYLOR!!!! the baddest man ever to set foot on a college field!!!!!

look up highlights!!! :)

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 06:36 PM
My list would look like this. Also take into account I didn't watch College Football in the early 80's as I was just a little guy. This isn't in any particular order...

Sean Taylor
Derrick Brooks
Warren Sapp
Charles Woodson
Lavarr Arrington
Deion Sanders
Jevon Kearse
Junior Seau

And you can't forget what an absolute BEAST Terrell Suggs was in college...he was amazing to watch.

I made a thread yesterday about an NCAA All-Decade team....look at it...I had Suggs as my DE

J-Ro-Mac
09-24-2009, 06:43 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/taylortimeline/SeanTaylor-MiamiU.jpg

or maybe

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/48/482108.jpg

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 06:45 PM
I hope the last picture you don't think that is Ray Lewis. If you did....LMAOOOOOOOO

hublife
09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I should have included Dwight Freeney on my list as well.

bmy-
09-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Tommy Casanova has to be mentioned. I wasn't around then but he was incredible.

Hail2DaSkins
09-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Between LaVar Arrington and Sean Taylor

Both former Skins http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

ESPforMe
09-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I never said anything about the receivers not being good, I said they were not as fast as receivers in other conferences with the exception of Tim Dwight. But I will give woodson is props but best defensive player ever...hell no! Like I said he wasn't even the best DB ever. And he would have had stiff competition if he was at the U.
I don't understand your point then. Why is speed more important than good? It's not like Woodson lacked speed. You were arguing Woodson just had to cover big slow WRs as if to say it was easier.

Now would Woodson have been more challenged for a starting spot in the turn of the century Miami teams? Maybe but Michigan in his time was pretty damn good as well with a ton of NFL players on the team. Plus Charles is still a pro bowl type CB in the nfl while the guys you mentioned are not, some not even CBs anymore.

I can hear your argument with Taylor or Deion being better DBs though. Hard to compare Taylor but I can hear it.

Hail2DaSkins
09-24-2009, 07:41 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/48/482108.jpg

that Rocky McIntosh?

PitbullJR
09-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't understand your point then. Why is speed more important than good? It's not like Woodson lacked speed. You were arguing Woodson just had to cover big slow WRs as if to say it was easier.

Now would Woodson have been more challenged for a starting spot in the turn of the century Miami teams? Maybe but Michigan in his time was pretty damn good as well with a ton of NFL players on the team. Plus Charles is still a pro bowl type CB in the nfl while the guys you mentioned are not, some not even CBs anymore.

I can hear your argument with Taylor or Deion being better DBs though. Hard to compare Taylor but I can hear it.

You need to read what I wrote again. I wasn't arguing that. The person I was replying to said Miami Corners were good because they had the luxury to be aggressive because they had good safeties behind them, I said that he was nit picking. That is like me saying Woodson was good because he played in a conference with slow receivers. You get my point now? That was a reply not my argument. My argument was that Sean Taylor and Lawrence Taylor are neck for neck as who was the best defensive player of all-time. Then I made the comment that Charles Woodson is not even the greatest DB of all-time. I also said that Charles Woodson would have had hard competition at Miami at the CB position. That is when I named the DB's the U had at that time. And this has nothing to do with NFL careers just college.

FLAY
09-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Ed Reed>Sean Taylor