PDA

View Full Version : Immortality only 20 years away says scientist- Mind=Blown

Pages : [1] 2

IrateBrah
09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Scientist Ray Kurzweil claims humans could become immortal in as little as 20 years' time through nanotechnology and an increased understanding of how the body works.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01403/Terminator-Salvati_1403891c.jpg

The 61-year-old American, who has predicted new technologies arriving before, says our understanding of genes and computer technology is accelerating at an incredible rate.

He says theoretically, at the rate our understanding is increasing, nanotechnologies capable of replacing many of our vital organs could be available in 20 years time.

Mr Kurzweil adds that although his claims may seem far-fetched, artificial pancreases and neural implants are already available.

Mr Kurzweil calls his theory the Law of Accelerating Returns. Writing in The Sun, Mr Kurzweil said: "I and many other scientists now believe that in around 20 years we will have the means to reprogramme our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, ageing. Then nanotechnology will let us live for ever.

"Ultimately, nanobots will replace blood cells and do their work thousands of times more effectively.

"Within 25 years we will be able to do an Olympic sprint for 15 minutes without taking a breath, or go scuba-diving for four hours without oxygen.

"Heart-attack victims – who haven't taken advantage of widely available bionic hearts – will calmly drive to the doctors for a minor operation as their blood bots keep them alive.

"Nanotechnology will extend our mental capacities to such an extent we will be able to write books within minutes.

"If we want to go into virtual-reality mode, nanobots will shut down brain signals and take us wherever we want to go. Virtual sex will become commonplace. And in our daily lives, hologram like figures will pop in our brain to explain what is happening.

"So we can look forward to a world where humans become cyborgs, with artificial limbs and organs."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6217676/Immortality-only-20-years-away-says-scientist.html

Mephisto91
09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Now you mortals can see life through my eyes.

ak360
09-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Dunno how sweet but immortal at 41 isn't TOO bad i guess.....better than at 60 or 70.

mfitty9000
Robots will take over in 40 years, destroy all of humanity, just watch brahs

saaltydog
I've read all his books. The guy knows a lot about technology. However I think he is reaching when he says 20 years.

Iukas
09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
the world is ending in 2012 guys

seriously

GirthyCawk
fifty years ago they said starvation would be eliminated in twenty years

GettinBig1989
that'b be nice

Getter_done
I've read all his books. The guy knows a lot about technology. However I think he is reaching when he says 20 years.

ur right, more like 10 years MAX

IrateBrah
09-22-2009, 07:55 PM
btw, pic = me. rate my pecs.

bigboy18
09-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Only the rich can afford that if it actually will exist by then.

Lol

Shangius
09-22-2009, 07:56 PM
QJg9igTnjIo

-mCSHO1GtaQ

We already have these. Imagine what they'll be in 20 years. holay fack

Leonydus
yea and in 1970 everyone thought we would be flying jet cars and **** around by the year 2000

Flognuts
bs.

If you think about it though our bodies are designed to live forever. Cells and things regenerate all the time.

Pinn
Scientist Ray Kurzweil told me that story for the 4000th time before I cut him into little pieces! Immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be...

CliveJr.
09-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Lol

jakes on you Im rich biatchhh

leanmachine22
Dunno how sweet but immortal at 41 isn't TOO bad i guess.....better than at 60 or 70.

It would be even better at the age of 37:)

triv222
but the question remains...

does one even want to live forever?

torontoSauga
if we keep on having all these pointless wars and diseases / cancers going unchecked, expect that estimated time to be delayed / pushed back

Muffin_Baby
09-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Exactly. And another question, we are already fast approach an overpopulated planet, why in the fuk do they need to find out how to make us live forever? Ghey.

IrateBrah
09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
if we keep on having all these pointless wars and diseases / cancers going unchecked, expect that estimated time to be delayed / pushed back

wars result in more technology.

torontoSauga
09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Stats: 6'1", 180 lbs

strong posts man

torontoSauga
09-22-2009, 08:00 PM

of course in self defence and etc...

our soldiers have better body armor and more features on the vehicles

NoS_oUtLaSt
09-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Lol I'll be a 40 year old pot belly dad Forever. **** YEAH!

NotRippedYet
09-22-2009, 08:02 PM

So if humans are immortal, and the robots rise up and try to take over, then what happens?

Boxman
09-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Interesting factoid: the latest data shows average American lifespans have been decreasing since 2005, and the trend is expected to accelerate with the collapse of our healthcare system and ongoing obesity epidemic. Without a nanotechnology breakthrough, I see little reason to expect dramatic life extension; indeed I think this will be the first generation with a lower quality of life (and shorter lifespans) than their parents.

Yes we can place our hopes in nanotechnology, but I've been reading about it since the early 90's. So far there's nothing to show for it, at least not in the medical field.

MisterChase
09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/8928/yess.gif

http://i28.tinypic.com/2ij3egw.gif

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/bradddancett6.gif

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/filipinorock/flair.gif

Onisac
09-22-2009, 08:04 PM
I doubt it. There's way too many stuff to factor in. Our braincells will probably all be dead so our body will be useless.

Davis_Ever
QJg9igTnjIo

-mCSHO1GtaQ

We already have these. Imagine what they'll be in 20 years. holay fackjust watched a vid on this in my biomechanics class...its crazy. One war vet had 3/4 of his forearm blown off but still had a stub with his muscles, the put electrodes from the prosthetic arm to the muscle and programed it to move with the muscle, so he can move the arm with his brain.

SolidSnake84
still, all it takes is a bullet in the head or a car crash and youre dead...not enough time to recover and replace the vitals if they bleed out from an unexpected accident...

not to mention you will still age even with the nanomachines...like life support, u will still look older and older, and your brain function will go...u cant reproduce ur brain and memories...i wouldnt want to live past like age 100 anyway, thrill of youth is gone, u look old, u become incapable of basic tasks...u cant bang hot girls anymore...feels bad man

dunebug23
09-22-2009, 08:06 PM
heres the thing, in 20 years maybe they'll have technology available to extend lives another 20 years. then 10 years after that they'll have more technology to extend lives another 20 years, etc etc etc. so the level of technology will advance further then the level of our own mortality catching up to us thus becoming immortal

theFALCONpunch
09-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Ill pass on that technology, i would hate to be miserable for an eternity

StaticZ
09-22-2009, 08:08 PM
dementia

Sure, you could have fake organs keeping you alive. But what about the brain? We would all be old senile demented idiots.

Shangius
09-22-2009, 08:11 PM
dementia

Sure, you could have fake organs keeping you alive. But what about the brain? We would all be old senile demented idiots.

nanotechnology will make our brains become symbiotic with advanced AI actually UPGRADING our brains. nanobots will also repair brain tissue that is destroyed over time.

in 50 years we'll connect to the interwebs matrix style.

IrateBrah
More cool technology stuff:

Mmz5qYbKsvM

triv222
Exactly. And another question, we are already fast approach an overpopulated planet, why in the fuk do they need to find out how to make us live forever? Ghey.

well i believe withing the next 50-100 years, scientists will be able to fix all taht was made worse by either fixing the planet or even relocating.

100 years ago... there was no space ships. cars and planes were nothing like today. we have increased every aspect dramatically... just imagen waht will happen. i believe that we will be able to explore past the moon and onto other planets.. not only in our solar system, but even beyond that.

i forget where i heard this, but there was a plan that nasa had for mars. after sending their rovers to patroll the landscape ( i think it was starting in the year 2050) they would build a "power plant" to produce emissions simular to the ones that we produce every day. by releasing these special emissions, the atmosphere on mars would be able to build up, and making it more simular to the planet we live on. with a thicker atmosphere the sun wouldnt be as pennitrating and it leaves the possibilty to expand from their... maybe even growing things on mars. images from mars has shown that the planet use to support rivers, maybe holding water or other fluids. it has empty veins in which the substance use to grow. possibly spectating on why people though mars can/could support life.

even that powerful microscope that discoverd those thousands of galaxys... there's billions of other galaxy's out there... odds are we're not the special one in a billion.. theres deffinitly more life form out there, and its had to tell if we have proof (area 51) or if aliens know about us. (building of the pyramids is interesting stuff)

im interested in all this stuff... not just space but like the expantion of our civilization. who knows what stuff we can create.. we've already dipped our hand into timetravelling. (see youtube and search timetraveling... amazing ****). even the study of our brains. scientists are discovering more and more about unlocking our brain... since we only use less than 40% of it or something like that. its believed that if we unlock more parts of our brain, we could be able to use telepathy.

i duno bout 2012 or all this other stuff... but i trust us humans to make it out.
theres a poem by TS Elliot (i think)that my english teacher said today:

This is the way the world will end,
this is the way the world will end,
not with a BANG, but a whimper.

i dun think it will be BOOM we're gone.. i think it will take years and years for us to wither away.

Davis_Ever
09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
well i believe withing the next 50-100 years, scientists will be able to fix all taht was made worse by either fixing the planet or even relocating.

100 years ago... there was no space ships. cars and planes were nothing like today. we have increased every aspect dramatically... just imagen waht will happen. i believe that we will be able to explore past the moon and onto other planets.. not only in our solar system, but even beyond that.

i forget where i heard this, but there was a plan that nasa had for mars. after sending their rovers to patroll the landscape ( i think it was starting in the year 2050) they would build a "power plant" to produce emissions simular to the ones that we produce every day. by releasing these special emissions, the atmosphere on mars would be able to build up, and making it more simular to the planet we live on. with a thicker atmosphere the sun wouldnt be as pennitrating and it leaves the possibilty to expand from their... maybe even growing things on mars. images from mars has shown that the planet use to support rivers, maybe holding water or other fluids. it has empty veins in which the substance use to grow. possibly spectating on why people though mars can/could support life.

even that powerful microscope that discoverd those thousands of galaxys... there's billions of other galaxy's out there... odds are we're not the special one in a billion.. theres deffinitly more life form out there, and its had to tell if we have proof (area 51) or if aliens know about us. (building of the pyramids is interesting stuff)

im interested in all this stuff... not just space but like the expantion of our civilization. who knows what stuff we can create.. we've already dipped our hand into timetravelling. (see youtube and search timetraveling... amazing ****). even the study of our brains. scientists are discovering more and more about unlocking our brain... since we only use less than 40% of it or something like that. its believed that if we unlock more parts of our brain, we could be able to use telepathy.

i duno bout 2012 or all this other stuff... but i trust us humans to make it out.

i dun think it will be BOOM we're gone.. i think it will take years and years for us to wither away.they cant even correct global warming here, do you really think their going to build an atmosphere on mars for us to live?

bigboy18
09-22-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.futuretimeline.net/index.htm

Interesting stuff in the link above (Srs)

triv222
09-22-2009, 08:15 PM
they cant even correct global warming here, do you really think their going to build an atmosphere on mars for us to live?

i think in time we will... just think about how much has been discovered and developed in the recent 50 years.. stuff that was never imagenable that long ago

kill_all
09-22-2009, 08:16 PM
bs.

If you think about it though our bodies are designed to live forever. Cells and things regenerate all the time.

strongapoptosis/10brah.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apoptosis

Excellentswag
09-22-2009, 08:16 PM
This guy's nephew goes to my school and we traveled Europe together last summer. Dude has more money than you can imagine...

Shangius
09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
brb getting rich so i can enjoy all the awesomenesses of the future

Hazarika10
obviously this is awsome, but in the end its just not natural , brah. no more talent everybody might as well be the same.

ViceStan

Good news for Putin :D

lastlieutenant
09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I hope I die before this happens.

Brutotal
09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
they cant even correct global warming here, do you really think their going to build an atmosphere on mars for us to live?

Considering most of what we have to do to mars is what we're currently doing to the earth (lol thicker atmosphere ftw) its definitely possible.

comore07
09-22-2009, 08:22 PM
i dont buy it. no in 20 years.

triv222
09-22-2009, 08:23 PM

i actually bookmarked that link... hopefully get to read it all.. mad knowledge can be gained from there

danielMSF
09-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I saw a TED lecture where a guy said he first people to live to be 1000 are alive now. Within their lifetime medical discoveries will be made to significantly extend life. Within their extended life more discoveries will be made to allow people to live to 1000.

triv222
09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Considering most of what we have to do to mars is what we're currently doing to the earth (lol thicker atmosphere ftw) its definitely possible.

lulz.. yea pretty much

ReadsTheMisc
none of this will matter when 2012 is here

Kharig
Now you mortals can see life through my eyes.

but i kill you daily in act 3

rooner44
09-22-2009, 08:25 PM
yea and in 1970 everyone thought we would be flying jet cars and **** around by the year 2000

this.

Shangius
09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/2agp3tl.jpg

bigboy18
09-22-2009, 08:29 PM
i actually bookmarked that link... hopefully get to read it all.. mad knowledge can be gained from there

I read most of it..and some are very very veryyyy believeable and others are just way too far-fetched to even be considered a concept.

Quibble
09-22-2009, 08:31 PM
jacking up our own biology with genetic engineering is a better option in the long run imo.

I wouldn't trust a self replicating machine as far as I could throw it.

Shangius
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
jacking up our own biology with genetic engineering is a better option in the long run imo.

I wouldn't trust a self replicating machine as far as I could throw it.

what if your awesome bionic arm could throw it really really really really far?

SeanRector
09-22-2009, 08:36 PM
More cool technology stuff:

Mmz5qYbKsvM

that **** blew my mind (srs)

i was responsible for some of the 600,000+ plus illegal songs being downloaded as i watched that video haha

Considine
09-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Sounds like Metal Gear Solid 4 for some reason. Mind = Blown....then repaired by nanomachines.

Quibble
09-22-2009, 08:40 PM

inhibit the gogli reflex, jack up the density of the supporting bones, max out the fast twitch fibers and I have the same thing.

its quite a toss up actually...combining both is the best way.

eLjay28
09-22-2009, 08:42 PM
in b4 MGS5 and we're all controlled by nano technology

7000rpmisheaven
09-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Every once in while a great mind comes along and changes the world. These people make their mark but they all eventually die. Can you imagine how fast technology would advance if we didn't lose these people. Imagine if Einstein, Newton, Da Vinci, etc., were still alive and continued to contribute.

We won't learn to live forever in 20 years, but we will learn to live a little longer, and then we'll learn to live little longer still, and then learn to live even longer. It will go on and on until eventually we can live indefinitely.

TaeBoNinja
09-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I totally agree with this.

A few things to note:

1) Immortality will be fairly simple IF nanotech reaches it's potential. Billions are spent on this tech and we already have nano-gears.

2) Aging itself will be reversible. So if you're 40 or 60 when this happens, nanotech will be able to rebuild your body to that of a 20 year old. Think of it as futristic plastic surgery

3) Overcrowding won't be an issue because we would enter the space colonization age. The fantasies of the SciFi world will become reality,

4) Nanotech >>>>>>>>>>> Steroids.

kalmamd
09-22-2009, 08:59 PM

lol at 2067

IrateBrah
09-22-2009, 09:00 PM

A few things to note:

1) Immortality will be fairly simple IF nanotech reaches it's potential. Billions are spent on this tech and we already have nano-gears.

2) Aging itself will be reversible. So if you're 40 or 60 when this happens, nanotech will be able to rebuild your body to that of a 20 year old. Think of it as futristic plastic surgery

3) Overcrowding won't be an issue because we would enter the space colonization age. The fantasies of the SciFi world will become reality,

This.

Colonise the solar system. The eldest get priority on Earth. Everyone else gets to frack off.

comore07
09-22-2009, 09:01 PM

A few things to note:

rofl we can barely make it to the moon. we aint colonizing **** for at least 200 more years.

svrocket
09-22-2009, 09:03 PM
do we get to vote on who gets to live forever?
Some dumb mofos I dont WANT to live forever.

IrateBrah
09-22-2009, 09:07 PM

simple. If you are red you dont get to live.

TaeBoNinja
09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
rofl we can barely make it to the moon. we aint colonizing **** for at least 200 more years.

Try 50 years.

Boxman
09-22-2009, 09:13 PM
i wouldnt want to live past like age 100 anyway, thrill of youth is gone, u look old, u become incapable of basic tasks...u cant bang hot girls anymore...feels bad man

Sorry to break it to you, but all that stuff happens by around 60, not 100... :(

UNCnate
09-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Strong lack of the aging theory in here.

comore07
09-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Try 50 years.

yeah ok we went to the moon 50 years ago and we havent been back. and can barely get to mars. we aint colonizing the cosmos for a long ass time.

ninjai_ruken
09-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Great that's all this world needs, for 90% of the retarded people in this world to be immortal. ****ing worlds over populated as it is.

Mobuild
09-22-2009, 09:16 PM
they are crossing boundaries they shouldn't

aeons
09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I read about this 5 years ago, it's crazy.

Ricky112
09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
That sort of future sounds terrifying.. I'm not sure I want to see it.

SuperCHARKA
09-22-2009, 09:18 PM
good, i will be in the midst of my career peak in 20 years.

ninjai_ruken
09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Strong lack of the aging theory in here.

Yeah, they say even with Genetic Engineering there is still to little we know about the human brain. They theorize even if the body were able to last an eternity the human brain would still break down after about 200 years. The human brain is like a computer, but you can not defrag a brain when bytes of information get ****ed up.

Nawlins
09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I saw this a few months ago on discovery science channel, Michio Kaku's show Time. Its a good watch brahs:

lHNj_oSjgrc

Nfye_PvSTAk&feature=related

Parts 3, 4, 5, come up on the left as you watch

Edit: The old lady in part 2. Mind=blown

JARED821
09-22-2009, 09:41 PM
with all of that genetic enhancement i think the world would be very bland. I mean they make it sound like anyone could be a professional athlete. Whats the point of being there if everyone is the same?

Capt-MoonLight
09-22-2009, 10:01 PM
the body can already repair all cells, for some reason all living things have self destruct built in to stop us from living forever. Nature likes us to keep dying so we are forced to reproduce and evolve.

That scenario nature has for is outmoded. For when we can develop technology that makes us live forever we have transcended nature and become Gods.

It's just a matter of understanding biology/chemistry/nano tech to stop the inbuilt self-destruct mechanism nature has implanted in us, and we will live for ever.

Mephisto91
09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
with all of that genetic enhancement i think the world would be very bland. I mean they make it sound like anyone could be a professional athlete. Whats the point of being there if everyone is the same?

It will keep improving, so we wouldn't all be the same. We would keep getting better until we are perfect and can shoot lasers from our eyes and ****.

Ek2
09-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Read a bit more..

he also expects to have his brain immortalized in a computer within that time using micro technological nano-bots to map out and replicate his brain.

that technology does not exist, and in order to program these little nano bots, you have to have a full understanding and mapping of the entire human brain.. which we DEFINITELY do not have.

Learned about this guy in Cognitive Science class yesterday, he's got some fantastic ideas, but not all of them are realistic. I more acucurate number would be between 150-200 years from now according to the concept of technology doubling each year since the 80's or so. It's only at this point that human beings will be able to model the 100's of neurons firing side by side per second, for over 100billion neurons in total. This is something today's computers are no where close to achieving.

DavyCrockett
09-23-2009, 09:37 AM

Lol

You poor?

TeHbOsNiAnDeWd
09-23-2009, 09:43 AM
That is pretty sick lol...I WANT ROBOT BLOOD.

Whey Hey
09-23-2009, 09:50 AM

lol /thread

ulovindeeznuts
09-23-2009, 10:05 AM
i want my brain in cyberspace...

magog704
09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Science Fiction Writer Ray Kurzweil

fixed. have read his books though and am all about transhumanism.

Dysfunqtional
09-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Too bad I am not 10, living life at 30 forever wouldn't be bad at all

Ingrowntoenail
09-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Scientist Ray Kurzweil claims humans could become immortal in as little as 20 years' time through nanotechnology and an increased understanding of how the body works.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01403/Terminator-Salvati_1403891c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6217676/Immortality-only-20-years-away-says-scientist.html

And yet scientist still can't figure out why your gay.

UNCnate
09-23-2009, 10:14 AM
the body can already repair all cells, for some reason all living things have self destruct built in to stop us from living forever. Nature likes us to keep dying so we are forced to reproduce and evolve.

That scenario nature has for is outmoded. For when we can develop technology that makes us live forever we have transcended nature and become Gods.

It's just a matter of understanding biology/chemistry/nano tech to stop the inbuilt self-destruct mechanism nature has implanted in us, and we will live for ever.

This isnt right. We cant repair all cells. For instance, Alzheimers is the own bodies defense wreaking havoc on its own cells. Once a neuron dies, it is dead. There is no repairing it.

The body doesnt really have a self destruct mechanism. It just so happens that our metabolism produces free radicals, which damage our cells.

Aging is much more complex than this.

Also, the idea that we transcend nature and become gods makes little sense to me. I think we need to separate the terms immortal from invincible.

If you are immortal you live for a long time, if you walk out in front of a bus or get shot in the head you still die. If you are invincible, you can walk out in front of the bus and be fine.

NoodleLegs
09-23-2009, 10:17 AM
So many potential holes in this. Apart from physiological limitations, governments worldwide won't allow this to happen. The Earth requires population control of the parasite that is the human race. On that note, I just jacked off to Degrassi.

_Ishy
09-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Then there was me thinking that our planet was already overpopulated.

hellagrant
09-23-2009, 10:21 AM
So many potential holes in this. Apart from physiological limitations, governments worldwide won't allow this to happen. The Earth requires population control of the parasite that is the human race. On that note, I just jacked off to Degrassi.

Pics?

NoodleLegs
09-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Pics?

It's a show on Teen Nick
The cum dumpster on the left looks just like Kara Bare, one of my favorite professional cum dumpsters
http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/45622/2005439423662354803_rs.jpg

_eLemenT_
09-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I remember watching a TED video a while back on a guy who claimed that we can avoid aging..

8iYpxRXlboQ

Interesting stuff.

Juice5610
09-23-2009, 10:27 AM
still, all it takes is a bullet in the head or a car crash and youre dead...not enough time to recover and replace the vitals if they bleed out from an unexpected accident...

Not to mention you will still age even with the nanomachines...like life support, u will still look older and older, and your brain function will go...u cant reproduce ur brain and memories...i wouldnt want to live past like age 100 anyway, thrill of youth is gone, u look old, u become incapable of basic tasks...u cant bang hot girls anymore...feels bad man

theres a doctor on the ted talks website that gave a conference calling the aging effect a sickness that could be substantially slowed and maybe even stopped ive been trying to look for it but cant find it

EDIT: vid is posted above me

The Philosopher
09-23-2009, 10:29 AM

Yeah, but look at how much technology HAS improved since 1970 - and the rate at which it's still developing.

UkChris93
09-23-2009, 10:31 AM
lol **** this ****

im dieing naturally, not this robot **** or ****

whenever its my time thats when im leavin

UNCnate
09-23-2009, 10:32 AM
theres a doctor on the ted talks website that gave a conference calling the aging effect a sickness that could be substantially slowed and maybe even stopped ive been trying to look for it but cant find it

People shouldnt assume that b/c you live a long time that your body will fail. Aging itself is what causes your body to fail. Your skin to wrinkle, your brain to not function that well.

You stop/slow down aging, you stop the "side effects of aging."

Its not outside the realm and context of this branch of science to assume that past the point of finishing maturation, that you will not look much different at 200 than you do at 30. If science is able to pull this off its not like you are going to have 500 year old humans that are walking around in amorphous blob shapes because their bones are brittle and their skin is saggy.

[In reference to the post above yours]

UNCnate
09-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I remember watching a TED video a while back on a guy who claimed that we can avoid aging..

8iYpxRXlboQ

Interesting stuff.

de Grey is the man.

Anubis18
09-23-2009, 10:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

Theory is that as soon as we can create a computer more intelligent than the human brain, we can use it to create more and more intelligent AI. Each new computer is used to create the next even more intelligent model of itself. Technology will increase exponentially until this point, and then it will begin to double every month, week, day etc.

NoodleLegs
09-23-2009, 10:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

Theory is that as soon as we can create a computer more intelligent than the human brain, we can use it to create more and more intelligent AI. Each new computer is used to create the next even more intelligent model of itself. Technology will increase exponentially until this point, and then it will begin to double every month, week, day etc.

I get it. This was like when I was using progressively larger objects on my own cornhole until I could fist my own ass. Expansion is slow at first but once it breaches a certain threshhold, it's exponentially easier.

Mephisto91
09-23-2009, 05:18 PM
It's a show on Teen Nick
The cum dumpster on the left looks just like Kara Bare, one of my favorite professional cum dumpsters
http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/45622/2005439423662354803_rs.jpg

fap fap fap

http://www.thestarscoop.com/archives/photos/miriam_mcdonald.jpg
http://b2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00707/28/36/707096382_m.jpg

IwillBaMonster
09-23-2009, 05:52 PM
In for an additional 300 years.

Even reading stuff like that my cawk gets wet.

Anybody interested to find out more - links in my sig. A lot of useful info on health, life extension, etc...

baroni01
09-23-2009, 05:54 PM
id say 100 years too bad we wont be around. unless cryo technology is good enough to freeze ourselves and wait it out till nano tech is ready

Tempest87
09-23-2009, 06:01 PM
What about your brain? The brain can't live forever. It would eventually die due to age. The brain does not replace itself. You can easily see this in stroke patients.

The brain does not heal like a muscle or a cut heals. Once it's hurt, it's hurt forever. Of course, the brain can sometimes recover from severe trauma like a stroke, but it's not because it has healed, it's because of redundancy and other parts of the brain picking up the tasks.

Eventually the neurons in the brain would break down and you would lose consiousness and die. There is, however, stem cell research going on with the goal of forming new neurons. If you could keep the brain totally free of any harm and replace neurons with stem cells, I think you could potentionally keep the brain alive for as long as you like.

If that doesn't work however you would eventually be forced to switch your brain out with a computer to keep yourself alive, which kinda takes the point of living forever away since you'd lose all memory and your own conciousness.

BlankCheck
09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up guys. We are all still going to die. But if immortality is achievable in the next 20 years then y'all better not have any babies.

hampo
09-23-2009, 06:03 PM

You see this will be available to middle class and up society of all the 1st world countries. Not many other countries will get this if it happens. Imagine what would happen if Russia or Iran or China got there hands on this ****. We would have armies of super soldiers knocking at our doors.

If this **** is created it has to be kept top secret and each clinic that gives this **** to people should be under extremely high security. Hell even people with these in them would be at risk anyone could capture them and dissect them to discover the technology.

Viktor777
09-23-2009, 06:08 PM
This is horrible.

Anyone who has Alpha genetics will be nobody. Since everyone will be the same and be able to do unbelievable things.

IYIaYBe
09-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Sounds like an old fart who has a shiit ton of money but is afraid of dying.

Just sayin'

tenaciousj
09-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Would be nice I guess, if it did happen in 20 years I would still be somewhat young. What would costs be though, probably wont matter though if you have a few hundred years to pay it off :D

IwillBaMonster
09-23-2009, 06:19 PM
What about your brain? The brain can't live forever. It would eventually die due to age. The brain does not replace itself. You can easily see this in stroke patients.

The brain does not heal like a muscle or a cut heals. Once it's hurt, it's hurt forever. Of course, the brain can sometimes recover from severe trauma like a stroke, but it's not because it has healed, it's because of redundancy and other parts of the brain picking up the tasks.

Eventually the neurons in the brain would break down and you would lose consiousness and die. There is, however, stem cell research going on with the goal of forming new neurons. If you could keep the brain totally free of any harm and replace neurons with stem cells, I think you could potentionally keep the brain alive for as long as you like.

If that doesn't work however you would eventually be forced to switch your brain out with a computer to keep yourself alive, which kinda takes the point of living forever away since you'd lose all memory and your own conciousness.

Ever thought about technology to regenerate brain?

IwillBaMonster
09-23-2009, 06:23 PM
You see this will be available to middle class and up society of all the 1st world countries. Not many other countries will get this if it happens. Imagine what would happen if Russia or Iran or China got there hands on this ****. We would have armies of super soldiers knocking at our doors.

If this **** is created it has to be kept top secret and each clinic that gives this **** to people should be under extremely high security. Hell even people with these in them would be at risk anyone could capture them and dissect them to discover the technology.

Let me tell you how will it happen: There will be an UNregulated by federal laws island (because these laws suck and halt progress even at this time.. ever heard of FDA? C.cksuckers to say the least..) where you will be able to fly to get the procedures done for a reasonable money.

That's how will it be. If we'd go the "legal" way with FDA on the side - thousand years wouldn't be enough, but I'm more then sure that once a few extra rich guys realise the possibilities - there will be created a place where science will do whatever the f.ck they want (there actually are places like this at the moment, just experimenting with other ****).

This is serious business, better save wealth in some form brahs, you'll need it.

59kg_weakling
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
scientists STOP! havent we learnd anything from terminator/matrix/blade runner/every movie with robots/etc?

IwillBaMonster
09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
^^^ yea. All of the rocked!!!!

CaptainGorgeous
09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I want to become cyborg.

I_R_BABOON
09-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Nanotechnology= The new performance enhancer

supacrazymonkey
09-23-2009, 06:35 PM
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/8928/yess.gif

http://i28.tinypic.com/2ij3egw.gif

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/bradddancett6.gif

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/filipinorock/flair.gif

x2.

can't wait brahs

BobbyZeus
09-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't mind living for a long time if I could move around.

shoobey
09-23-2009, 06:39 PM
virtual drugs = war on drug failure?

eXcelerate
09-23-2009, 06:40 PM
All this is bullsht.

We can't even cure the common cold yet....

59kg_weakling
09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
All this is bullsht.

We can't even cure the common cold yet....

Or headaches.

MOOOOOO
09-23-2009, 06:43 PM

This is very very true as it has been said that our only reason for being on this planet is to continue on until we create intelligent life that is smarter than what we could ever understand. This will lead to the robots to kill us and then will result in the cycle continuing as they create the next form of life smarter than themselves. And thus the cycle continues.

MIND=BLOWN

ROFL TRUTH

I remember people saying yea cant wait for the year 2000 flying cars and all of that shi, just like the world was gonna jump forward a thousand years into the future or something lol

NO U

of course everybody wanna live for as long as you can

you could just suicide if you didn't want to live any more at the age of 200 if you wanted to.

unless..

there was some sort of chip embedded into the skin which alerted the police that you ware trying to kill yourself and then they would come around and arrest you and lock you up in containment for hundreds of years.

false

war sets back technological advancement by up to 50 years

not to mention you will still age even with the nanomachines...like life support, u will still look older and older, and your brain function will go...u cant reproduce ur brain and memories...i wouldnt want to live past like age 100 anyway, thrill of youth is gone, u look old, u become incapable of basic tasks...u cant bang hot girls anymore...feels bad man

they could re program you brain

nanotechnology will make our brains become symbiotic with advanced AI actually UPGRADING our brains. nanobots will also repair brain tissue that is destroyed over time.

in 50 years we'll connect to the interwebs matrix style.

epic cant wait!

i dun think it will be BOOM we're gone.. i think it will take years and years for us to wither away.

I couldnt imagine how cool it would be to be around to change planets.

repped

brb getting rich so i can enjoy all the awesomenesses of the future

lol'd

brb lottery tickets

obviously this is awsome, but in the end its just not natural , brah. no more talent everybody might as well be the same.

not really just look at how little difference there is at the moment between people in sprinting world records at the moment for example. It's creativity that would separate people with the sam IQ from each other.

I hope I die before this happens.

NO U

you fail at life

I saw a TED lecture where a guy said he first people to live to be 1000 are alive now. Within their lifetime medical discoveries will be made to significantly extend life. Within their extended life more discoveries will be made to allow people to live to 1000.

sweet, I can see it now
medical company's sponsoring people as they become the oldest living person on the planet.

Imagine in the gym. pumping away with the dumbells...

It just wouldn't feel the same lol

eXcelerate
09-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Or headaches.

Now that I think about it... have we found a cure for anything?

batmanman
09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
nb4 will smith saves humankind

eXcelerate
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
nb4 will smith saves humankind

lol'd

belairdfence99
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
But what if we're already robots :confused:

IwillBaMonster
09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
But what if we're already robots :confused:

We ARE. Biorobots. Curing aging (as it IS a dissease) is no different then curing some dissease we are able to cure now (to extend a persons life) just on a more basic level.

IwillBaMonster
09-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Everyone of you can invest a LITTLE time, which may turn out a lot of time for you in the future by leaving a comment here: http://bit.ly/sensf . A few organisations are in the "race" for a 10k bucks prize. WIns the one with the most comments. It's not about the money, but more about a support.

Short version for lazy bastards:

Want live much longer then statistically is possible for you? Leave a comment here and be a part of a huge puzzle we need to solve out as fast as we can, called "Aging". Thank you: http://bit.ly/sensf

terzter
09-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Visions of The Future - Part 02 - The Biomolecular Revolution

Part2. The Biomolecular Revolution : Genetics and biotechnology promise a future of unprecedented health and longevity: DNA screening could prevent many diseases, gene therapy could cure them and, thanks to lab-grown organs, the human body could be repaired as easily as a car, with spare parts readily available. Ultimately, the ageing process itself could be slowed down or even halted.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7D5453950D991014

X.RicardoC.X
09-23-2009, 08:49 PM

x2

There wouldn't be any variety in people , everyone would be the same . Everyone who would want muscle would just have to have a bit of genetic enhancement here and there to achieve it. Where is the competition, dedication , hard work in that?

You wouldn't really have to work hard for it, and whales would just have to enhance themselves genetically to be hot and so there would be no variety in girls, or guys as well.

Flognuts
09-23-2009, 08:51 PM
20 years away? sure.....

we don't even know how panadol works yet

Capt-MoonLight
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
This isnt right. We cant repair all cells. For instance, Alzheimers is the own bodies defense wreaking havoc on its own cells. Once a neuron dies, it is dead. There is no repairing it.

The body doesnt really have a self destruct mechanism. It just so happens that our metabolism produces free radicals, which damage our cells.

Aging is much more complex than this.

Also, the idea that we transcend nature and become gods makes little sense to me. I think we need to separate the terms immortal from invincible.

If you are immortal you live for a long time, if you walk out in front of a bus or get shot in the head you still die. If you are invincible, you can walk out in front of the bus and be fine.

All cells can be repaired. We might not know how to repair complex neurons for the moment but I assure you they can be repaired.

Think of it this way, neurons just didn't appear out of nowhere in a persons head. They were created at some point by the persons own DNA during gestation. To rebuild you need to find out how to replicate this natural process. Anything that happened once to a person can be replicated by science.

An example, 99.999% of people go through life with only 1 set of adult teeth. There are a small few human mutants lol that have been documented by science that keep growing teeth.

To say once a tooth dies that's it, there is no way to regrow it is having a limited view on things. We just don't know how to replicate the process that happens naturally to each of us once in our lives or the process by which these mutants keep regrowing teeth, or sharks for that matter.

Neurons can be regrown, but the memories that those cells held will be gone for good.

I didn;t mean we would become God's (invincible) literally lol just a figure of speech. More like we become like Moses and live 800 years lol

Know any good sites that detail aging process, like that free radical stuff?

I'll check out the Youtube vid someone posted Dr de Grey later, looks interesting.

Gordon Bombay
09-23-2009, 09:35 PM

This. I watched a show awhile back that talked about this exact subject. We could potentially live forever, but the odds of getting struck by lightning/car/bullet means the max average age we will live to is 1000-1200 years. Still, that's fcking insane when you think about it.

Anyways, I've heard scientists claim that the person who's 60 today will live until 150. Talk about a major dilemma for Social Security.

BTW, scientists are now mapping the genome for the deadliest viruses in order to get a better understanding and in the future a cure for anything.

C-Squared
09-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh this is all just ridiculous... only humans are arrogant enough to fight nature to this extent... the reliance on pharmaceuticals ALONE shows how stupid humans are to think they understand their own bodies when they have NO CLUE what they're doing to their bodies.

The same scientists claiming these age breakthroughs are the same ones that swear that synthetic Vitamin D is identical to its natural, whole-food counterpart, and despite the fact that synthetic Vitamin D has never been easier to get, Vitamin D deficiency is at an all-time high... hmm... SO ironic that in trying to make people live longer, scientists are COMPLETELY abandoning the simple building blocks of human life...

SpikedDiesel
09-23-2009, 09:51 PM
fifty years ago they said starvation would be eliminated in twenty years

We decided to try and eradicate poverty instead. Fighting social darwinism instead of blowing full steam into technology FTL.

Formula65
09-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Can you imagine 100 years from now, will all be superhumans with robot parts in us, until this trend continues and robots take over in the next 1000 years (jk maybe)

Oldsport
09-23-2009, 09:56 PM
bs.

Error we live off of Oxygen, which in and of itself is a corrosive, so it eats away at our brain, and in our old age, we begin to deteriorate. Immortality will come once we find a replacement for this.

Gordon Bombay
09-23-2009, 09:59 PM
"Anti-fat drug

A drug that lets you eat whatever you want without gaining weight is now available.* There is enormous demand for this product, which leads to a major drop in obesity levels throughout the developed world - especially in countries like the USA, which until now had been experiencing a crisis in this regard. Average life expectancy is increased as a result, since there are less people dying of heart-related illnesses."

2019 guise.

C-Squared
09-23-2009, 10:08 PM
"Anti-fat drug

A drug that lets you eat whatever you want without gaining weight is now available.* There is enormous demand for this product, which leads to a major drop in obesity levels throughout the developed world - especially in countries like the USA, which until now had been experiencing a crisis in this regard. Average life expectancy is increased as a result, since there are less people dying of heart-related illnesses."

2019 guise.

This is the problem with humans. They're so hell-bent in being set in their ways that they try to change physiology instead of conforming their habits to what their bodies demand... I'm SO glad I learned years ago to not take ANY drugs whatsoever...

...Rousseau...
09-23-2009, 10:12 PM

okay? so that means after immortality comes we have twenty years to PAR-TAY! we'll be consumed by the robopochalypse in the far future but for the meantime...WHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Gordon Bombay
09-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Can you imagine 100 years from now, will all be superhumans with robot parts in us, until this trend continues and robots take over in the next 1000 years (jk maybe)

If humanity survives another 1000 years, robots will be obsolete (or the kinds we know of). You cannot even fathom what the hell would by flying/teleporting around.

Rolling
09-24-2009, 12:40 AM
law of accelerating returns

as an econ major, i only accept the Law of Diminishing Returns. sorry scientist brah

Shangius
09-24-2009, 12:44 AM
lol at people thinking that even if this technology existed, you would get it? What would be the benefit of giving this out???? We'll just sur populate the world, nobody in their right mind that is developping this nonsense would ever release it to the silly public.

who says we'll still procreate by then? or even be limited to this earth? the earth is estimated to be able to support 10 billion humans. we're not even at 7 yet. and the technology advancements raise the pop cap. ocean dwellings, skyscraper farms, etc

MaximusPlatypus
09-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Terminator movies are going to come true and will smith is goign to be world leader

Ryan711
09-24-2009, 12:52 AM
This is the problem with humans. They're so hell-bent in being set in their ways that they try to change physiology instead of conforming their habits to what their bodies demand... I'm SO glad I learned years ago to not take ANY drugs whatsoever...

Probably the most ignorant statement i've seen on here, and thats saying A LOT. If we had listened to people like you, your life would be more than half over right now. Yea, you go ahead and live by the philosophy that drugs are bad mmkaaay. I just wish I could be there when you suddenly change your mind because you can't stand the side effects from the chemo, or the exreme pain the comes from invasive surgery. Fukking moron

IwillBaMonster
09-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Oh this is all just ridiculous... only humans are arrogant enough to fight nature to this extent... the reliance on pharmaceuticals ALONE shows how stupid humans are to think they understand their own bodies when they have NO CLUE what they're doing to their bodies.

The same scientists claiming these age breakthroughs are the same ones that swear that synthetic Vitamin D is identical to its natural, whole-food counterpart, and despite the fact that synthetic Vitamin D has never been easier to get, Vitamin D deficiency is at an all-time high... hmm... SO ironic that in trying to make people live longer, scientists are COMPLETELY abandoning the simple building blocks of human life...

Yes sir its is as good as a real thing. I've solved a life long skin condition (which manifested itself during winter, when I get very little sun) using it. Vit.D. ftw!
And you say - it was never been easier to get it. I don't get.. MOST of the ppl actually are unaware that they lack it at all. Lol.. most of the pharmacies doesn't know **** about it at my place..

Kiwi_Fella
09-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Such a cool website man:

IwillBaMonster
09-24-2009, 12:57 AM

U r just 22 man. Better pray (like it woudl help..) that you really won't need drugs in the future...

Ryan711
09-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh, and for all the idiots claiming over population. Are you aware that the entire worlds population could fit into Texas if it was structured the same way as NYC. Also, with the advent of new technologies, things like food production and power become non issues. It amazes me the ignorance I've seen in this thread. Morons claiming that since we don't even know how to cure the common cold, that we won't see this happen. Strong immunology knowledge there.

I take it as if you're alive in 20 years, then technology will progress fast enough to keep you alive forever. There won't be some magic device in 20 years that keeps you alive forever, but medical technology should be at the point where we are extending the length of life by 12 months or more per year, ie imortality.

Anubis18
09-24-2009, 01:02 AM
I don't really want to live forever, but having a crazy cyborg body wouldn't be so bad

Haterade~
09-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Such a cool website man:

i lolled at "2067 - Male and female salaries are reaching parity"

Kiwi_Fella
09-24-2009, 01:08 AM
i lolled at "2067 - Male and female salaries are reaching parity"

The person/s who created that site have a hell of an imagination, cool though

Drinman
09-24-2009, 01:15 PM
The person/s who created that site have a hell of an imagination, cool though

Anyone know of any other websites similar to this one because I really enjoyed reading it and I'm interested in future technology and the future of the human race. Yes STRONG NERD.

bustermac
09-24-2009, 01:22 PM

Correct.

This will never happen. The Scientist (like many of them) is insane.

bottlez
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
IMMORTALITY! Take it, it's yours!

pacman08
09-24-2009, 02:16 PM
imagine all the chicks you could plow if this happened

Anomynous
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
In 20 years everyone will be as jacked as Arnold.

Anubis18
09-24-2009, 02:36 PM
virtual drugs = war on drug failure?

war on drugs is already a huge failure

RC2008
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM
In 20 years everyone will be as jacked as Ronnie.

Fixed

Amsterdammerr
09-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Like I said, becoming old is DEPRESSING as fuk man, especially when you hit the 60/70

Youre indepence will be slowly going away and the shame of someone else having to wipe you is almost unbearable to me, slowly losing your memory and have your loved ones visiting you, but crying because you dont recognize them

FUK THAT ****:(

Anubis18
09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Like I said, becoming old is DEPRESSING as fuk man, especially when you hit the 60/70

Youre indepence will be slowly going away and the shame of someone else having to wipe you is almost unbearable to me, slowly losing your memory and have your loved ones visiting you, but crying because you dont recognize them

they're not saying you'll live forever but keep getting older, they're trying to stop/reverse agining entirely. Even if you don't want to live forever, it would be nice to be strong and healthy up until the day you die

Atlas_Army
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
who says we'll still procreate by then? or even be limited to this earth? the earth is estimated to be able to support 10 billion humans. we're not even at 7 yet. and the technology advancements raise the pop cap. ocean dwellings, skyscraper farms, etc

lol lol.. do you honestly believe that if everyone was immortal. the population wouldn't jump 3 billion in 3 years? hahaha

barbarian_ben
09-24-2009, 10:22 PM
oh yeah this is a good idea
Immortality being possible surely won't be the beginning of the end for us

(/sarcasm)

user87861311845
09-24-2009, 10:22 PM
That'd suck, sh*t would get crowded.

Irishladdie235
09-24-2009, 10:24 PM
All this means is that EMP weaponry will become infinitely more effective.

IrateBrah
09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Advances in medicine happen all the time. The 'common cold' argument is ridiculous.

Also, it doesn't only have to be nanobots aiding the body. Could even be other forms of biological life.

Some people here are essentially arguing that technology hasnt advanced exponentially in the past 100 years. Consider the impact internet communication has had on scientific research alone.

xJustin
09-25-2009, 08:22 PM
shiii i'd be 40 at most. I guess i could still be pimpin at that age :)

Box_o_Dynamite
09-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Very nice thread OP, while I was pondering this I came across a point i would like to make as to why we will never see this technology. This technology is readily available and we have the means to use them, however we will never get to have this technology because of the simple fact of over population. Unfortunately the problem of over population and a reduction in the food supply would be enough reason for governments to never allow this technology to thrive.

Southpaw_Red
09-25-2009, 08:31 PM
living forever doesnt interest anyone

prolonging the condition of the human body so you look like you're 20 until you're 60 and then you look like you're 60 when you are 120 and then you die is more in peoples interest.

Capt-MoonLight
10-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks to an Australian Professor Blackburn, An English & American who all won a Nobel prize today in Biology, immortality (well long lived cell immortality lol) which is just 1 small jump away from human immortality is just a few years away.

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/index.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/science/06nobel.html?_r=2&hp

Word for the day = telomeres http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/rna/rna_telomeres/01.html ironic that what causes aging and pathology (death) is that long lived cells only have a finite amount of times that they can replicate, telomeres get shorter & shorter with each cell division and ultimately can no longer replicate as there are no more telomeres.

Cancer cells are cells that replicate endlessly until it kills you, these cells have telomeres that repair themselves giving cancer cells technical immortality.

So the cure for cancer (stop the telomeres) is the opposite of human immortality (enable telomeres in long lived cells).

The irony... Let's hope the bastards give us the cure for cancer & death and not keep it to themselves lol at any rate, it's much less than 20 years, more like 5-10

Vitiell0
10-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks to an Australian Professor Blackburn, An English & American who all won a Nobel prize today in Biology, immortality (well long lived cell immortality lol) which is just 1 small jump away from human immortality is just a few years away.

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/index.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/science/06nobel.html?_r=2&hp

Word for the day = telomeres http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/rna/rna_telomeres/01.html ironic that what causes aging and pathology (death) is that long lived cells only have a finite amount of times that they can replicate, telomeres get shorter & shorter with each cell division and ultimately can no longer replicate as there are no more telomeres.

Cancer cells are cells that replicate endlessly until it kills you, these cells have telomeres that repair themselves giving cancer cells technical immortality.

So the cure for cancer (stop the telomeres) is the opposite of human immortality (enable telomeres in long lived cells).

The irony... Let's hope the bastards give us the cure for cancer & death and not keep it to themselves lol at any rate, it's much less than 20 years, more like 5-10

Awesome news!! Much more deserved than another Nobel prize awarded today... lulz

.PeTeR.
10-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Will be 46 damn

IrateBrah
12-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Mind = blown is strong in this thread.

Bumping in support for a Misc science section.

SezerTheGeezer
12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
I'd rather not live forever thanks.

SezerTheGeezer
12-29-2009, 07:14 PM

Not to mention the sagged skin and bowel cancer

IrateBrah
12-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Not to mention the sagged skin and bowel cancer

Strong reading the thread skills.

The article clearly states that they are trying to stop aging. So you wont age. i.e At your prime.

Drinman
12-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Too bad this stuff will probably only be avaliable to the very select few.

Amsterdammerr
12-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Good bump
Anyone still buying this immortality crap?

Had a good long talk with my biochem professor about this stuff, VERY and HIGHLY UNLIKELY

And if it is, we wont be around to witness it...because that sucks man :(

I betcha my armani suit that in about 200-500 years people will have immortality.
God that sucks so much, as we now look back at the middle ages for the harsh times people had and how people died from the plague and ****, people from that age will look at us the same way because we had mortality....

treborly77
12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't think that anyone born now or before this technology exists will be able to cope with it 100 percent. We know life as it is now, and will always want what we remember/grew up with

Amsterdammerr
12-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Good bump

Had a good long talk with my biochem professor about this stuff, VERY and HIGHLY UNLIKELY

I betcha my armani suit that in about 200-500 years people will have immortality.
God that sucks so much, as we now look back at the middle ages for the harsh times people had and how people died from the plague and ****, people from that age will look at us the same way because we had mortality....

I don't think that anyone born now or before this technology exists will be able to cope with it 100 percent. We know life as it is now, and will always want what we remember/grew up with
This man

LoweRider
I wouldnt want to be immortal.

EDIT: I wouldnt want to be immortal UNLESS I could be a Terminator with free will

Mansion_baller
Good bump

Meh, there was a singularity conference in New York last month with all the key people who have studied this subject and essentially, the consensus was that we shall witness the singularity in our life times and once that happens, our life expectancy should begin to reach a very high number due to an exponential amount of improvements to our biological states...

Amsterdammerr
12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Meh, there was a singularity conference in New York last month with all the key people who have studied this subject and essentially, the consensus was that we shall witness the singularity in our life times and once that happens, our life expectancy should begin to reach a very high number due to an exponential amount of improvements to our biological states...

I have no idea what you just said lol
Break it down to english please!

For starters: what is a singularity and who are those people
Because I know that with subjects like these, there are allot of nut cases running around

Mansion_baller
12-29-2009, 07:27 PM

As a non homo/just euro guy, I figure you have a GQ subscription right? There is a sick article in the latest issue (Rhianna) that puts it in basic English.

LoweRider
12-29-2009, 07:28 PM

Because I know that with subjects like these, there are allot of nut cases running around

he's saying that the population will become out of control once 'immortality' is feasible

IrateBrah
12-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Good bump

Brah there is a reason why scientists are optimistic about this. The concept is actually very promising and seems realistic. No need to knock it off without explaining your reasoning.

Graduating with a masters in Physics very soon, therefore know my shhit.

Mansion_baller
he's saying that the population will become out of control once 'immortality' is feasible

Uhhh, where did you get that?

thorton

I think anyone born after 1985 will be able to cope extremely well with it. Think about the changes we see yearly now, even quarterly. Change is our life, its how we exist in todays society. We are in a constant flux of adaptation technology wise. 32mb MP3 players that cost 200$ to 8GB Touch screen phones that do everything except suck you off in what...6 years? That is just one facet of our change. We are the generation of adaptation. We would adjust extremely well.

LoweRider
Uhhh, where did you get that?

domino effect, I'm guessing..

Immortality = less death.. less death means greater population

IrateBrah
12-29-2009, 07:30 PM

This thread goes hand in hand with another mind=blown thread.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121247681

Cliffs: This Galaxy is big enough for everyone.

Cronoh
12-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Immortality would be a very large step in our evolution. The sky is the limit. Is it possible? I think it is. It all seems so far fetched, but in the next 50 years I think revolutionary technologies like this will become available, wish I was born in 100 years ;]

Amsterdammerr
12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Brah there is a reason why scientists are optimistic about this. The concept is actually very promising and seems realistic. No need to knock it off without explaining your reasoning.

Bro, I seriously doubt it
Ok they might be able to somehow download your brains into a comp with all of your memories and such, but other then that

EVEN SO, do you think us the general public would have any acces to it?
I doubt it

Mansion_baller
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
domino effect, I'm guessing..

Immortality = less death.. less death means greater population

1. Overpopulation is not the issue, lack of renewable resources is
2. The singularity will address these issues. Essentially, we would enter a BIG BANG of technology that will essentially completely erase what you thought it meant to be human.
3. These changes will obviously be overseen by governmental institutions and in the infant stages of simply "not dying", obvious population control techniques will be administrated and frankly, accepted with what is at stake.

But basically, if you are picturing this concept coming along and the Earth being a similar place in terms of society, government, economics etc., you are very mistaken/short sighted.

Fitsie
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM

and you're 20?

wow...

DatsyukienDeke
12-29-2009, 07:34 PM
If we didnt need oxygen anymore, couldnt we just live on the moon and have more space for increasing population?

HTML_Rulez_D00d
12-29-2009, 07:35 PM
in b4:

foxhound

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/metalgear/images/3/3e/Foxhound_logo.jpg

nanomachines

http://www.medgadget.com/archives/img/sidebbio3.jpg

Amsterdammerr
12-29-2009, 07:35 PM
If we didnt need oxygen anymore, couldnt we just live on the moon and have more space for increasing population?

omg......

Fitsie
12-29-2009, 07:38 PM

yeah who needs the protection of an atmosphere!

helmets can protect against meteors.

Mansion_baller
12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
yeah who needs the protection of an atmosphere!

helmets can protect against meteors.

Um, obviously technology will catch up...

Frozen_By_You
12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
heres the thing, in 20 years maybe they'll have technology available to extend lives another 20 years. then 10 years after that they'll have more technology to extend lives another 20 years, etc etc etc. so the level of technology will advance further then the level of our own mortality catching up to us thus becoming immortal

This is pretty much what will happen.

Strong believer in achieving immortality through cybernetics here. I'd be the first in line to test nanorobots on my body, serious.

JoshuaXD
12-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Am I the only one that is pissed because I'll be dead when all the cool stuff comes out?

stronguy91
12-29-2009, 07:53 PM
we will be immortal so food will no longer be needed....so much for renewable resources^^

Fitsie
12-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Um, obviously technology will catch up...

Oh so now we will have an atmosphere on the moon. Wouldn't it be easier to have oxygen then? Or do you plan on converting all animals we use for food to be non oxygen reliant?

UNCnate
12-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Am I the only one that is pissed because I'll be dead when all the cool stuff comes out?

There are plenty of cool things already out.

And someone nailed it right on the head earlier. We dont have to make a major breakthrough in life extension technology, we only have to make several minor breakthroughs on regular intervals to massively extend human life.

We know what makes us age. We just merely have to engineer ways to "fix" what kills us.

we will be immortal so food will no longer be needed....so much for renewable resources^^

HUUUUUUGE difference between immortality and not dying from age related causes.

-Banksy-
12-29-2009, 09:07 PM
even if this immortality thing became true every 1 would eventually have 2 anhero ny ways wen the universe dies. also lol at super powers on that site

TonicWater
12-29-2009, 09:11 PM
i doubt it'll happen.

humans shouldn't live forever anyway

ZILLAA
12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
http://mattdunlap.org/images/JAYZGERVAIS2.gif

Maestro
12-29-2009, 09:34 PM

lol, just what we need are ******* dictators (like Kim Jong Il) living for hundreds of generations.

IrateBrah
12-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Not dying from ageing =/= not being able to die from disease, buses, executions, stupidity.

momo5
12-29-2009, 09:40 PM

be good brah start immortality at 41 then later get acyber brain and have whatever body you wante ven a woman body.

mjfan12
12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
i'll be happy with living a quality life into old age. like jack lalain at 90+ dude is still going strong at least for someone that old. he was doing great things at 60 and 70.

something like increasing test in old age.

GermanBB
12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
As much as I love cutting edge science........ we were promised to all have flying cars in the year 2000.

Thread Bomber
12-29-2009, 09:47 PM
This can only be bad, Even though the search for the fountain of youth has been going on since the dawn of time. Can you imagine all the things you would see, everyone you knew had died. Also the moral issues involved.

EricFTW
12-29-2009, 09:48 PM
they also thought we would have flying cars and other insane contraptions in 2010..so no.

lustsmith
12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
this is ****ing disturbing.

Ryan711
12-29-2009, 09:59 PM
As much as I love cutting edge science........ we were promised to all have flying cars in the year 2000.

they also thought we would have flying cars and other insane contraptions in 2010..so no.

we have the technology for flying cars, and have had it since probably the late 80s, but there isn't a market for a 250k+ flying deathtrap.

Alternatively you could look 40 years back and see how many people predicted how advanced and ubiquitous cell phones have become become, or DNA mapping so cheap that undergrad students can perform PCR on a regular basis.

Not trying to disrespect anyone's opinion, but nobody under the age of 30 will die from natural causes, period, you can quote me on that.

MrBlonde12
12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPO/505135~Talladega-Nights-Posters.jpg

I'm not an idiot, i'm not going to live forever, but with advances in modern science and a man with my level of income its not crazy to think i can't live to be 230, 300 years old

IrateBrah
12-29-2009, 10:35 PM
This can only be bad, Even though the search for the fountain of youth has been going on since the dawn of time. Can you imagine all the things you would see, everyone you knew had died. Also the moral issues involved.

Dawn of time is irrelevant. Scientific Revolution only took place a few hundred years ago, and so much has already been achieved. Everything from medicine, transport, communications, agriculture etc has been transformed in the last 100 years. And these advances have been accelerating ever since, never slowing down. Education has never been more widespread, so things are only predicted to accelerate. (please note the definition of accelerate)

If everyone lived longer lives, then you wouldnt be watching everyone die. Strong thinking skills.

So the idea of flying transport is insane, unheard of, never been achieved, sheer madness? Will probably never even happen. amidoinitrite?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPO/505135~Talladega-Nights-Posters.jpg

I'm not an idiot, i'm not going to live forever, but with advances in modern science and a man with my level of income its not crazy to think i can't live to be 230, 300 years old

Scientific Revolution is a few hundred years old. The world has been transformed in the last 100 years alone. With the current accelerating rate of advances, is it crazy to assume that the world will be transformed even more in another 100 years?
Medicine has progressed more than any other field, and these days they are talking about creating human organs in labs. Do you really think that in 30-40 years time, if you needed a heart replacement, there will be anything called a "waiting list"??

IwillBaMonster
12-29-2009, 11:27 PM
For anyone who doesn't know enough, but is inteersted, Imminst presents you some short intro flyers: http://www.filefactory.com/file/a153953/n/Imminst.rar

Excerpt:"Humankind has made countless achievements and overcome endless obstacles since the beginning of its existence. There are many more incredibly gracious opportunities and grand challenges ahead of us. This movement works to defeat aging and achieve Unlimited Lifespans.
Much of the world still believes that nothing can be done about the traditional death that aging has imposed upon everyone that has ever been born. We can now combat aging, and are already successful in similar cases.
As we all know, these are rapidly advancing times. Science and biology have been continuing to perfect their abilities, working on our bodies, then within them, and now within our very cells themselves. Science has defeated many forms of damage that accumulate in a variety of cellular..."

Quote for a thought: "Maybe life extensionists can be faulted for being too early in a world that embraces death as a welcome release. But being too early is a problem that forward thinkers historically have had to deal with" --Bruce J. Klein, Co Founder of Imminst

Amsterdammerr
12-29-2009, 11:30 PM
For anyone who doesn't know enough, but is inteersted, Imminst presents you some short intro flyers: http://www.filefactory.com/file/a153953/n/Imminst.rar

Excerpt:"Humankind has made countless achievements and overcome endless obstacles since the beginning of its existence. There are many more incredibly gracious opportunities and grand challenges ahead of us. This movement works to defeat aging and achieve Unlimited Lifespans.
Much of the world still believes that nothing can be done about the traditional death that aging has imposed upon everyone that has ever been born. We can now combat aging, and are already successful in similar cases.
As we all know, these are rapidly advancing times. Science and biology have been continuing to perfect their abilities, working on our bodies, then within them, and now within our very cells themselves. Science has defeated many forms of damage that accumulate in a variety of cellular..."

Quote for a thought: "Maybe life extensionists can be faulted for being too early in a world that embraces death as a welcome release. But being too early is a problem that forward thinkers historically have had to deal with" --Bruce J. Klein, Co Founder of Imminst

Exactly the kind of nutjobs I was talking about a few post ago who are SO massively throwing themself on this subject

Cmon dude, you have to be serious

You dont rreally think you will still be around to see it happening, for the love of god...

IwillBaMonster
12-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Exactly the kind of nutjobs I was talking about a few post ago who are SO massively throwing themself on this subject

Cmon dude, you have to be serious

You dont rreally think you will still be around to see it happening, for the love of god...

I don't know what r you talking about and what are your beliefs based on. We are "throwing" ourselves (as supporters) at this subject because the TECHNOLOGY already EXISTS (that is VERY potential to "fix" the already known many issues of aging) but the FUNDING and most importantly - the ATTENTION and UNDERSTANDING of wide range of public is what we need now.

I am a supporter of leading scientists in biology, biochemistry, gentics, etc.. They are supporting this, there's happening a lot more then general public can imagine at the moment. if you aren't interested in this future regenereative medicine (look at it this way if a concept of "immortality" gives you some kind of a knee-jerk reaction) at least don't make so far fetched statements and assumptions, thank you.

p.s. - you can visit imminst forums. Plenty of topics with the newst info on recent studies, related to aging, and one of the best sources of a personal health wise related discussions based on SCIENCE, plenty of clever people from around the world, etc... Don't assume untill u haven't seen what it's all about.

wutlol
12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
reading these predicted events hundreds of years from now... does this make anyone else grateful to be alive with their family at this point in time?

IwillBaMonster
12-29-2009, 11:47 PM
A great presentation on the (sad) situation thats esp apparent in US (illustration of it is at the end, but it's worth watching it full as I bet many of you doesn't even iamgine what kind of potential exists just NOW, at the moment, not in the future, movies or fiction books, NOW) it's really amazing: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/alan_russell_on_regenerating_our_bodies.html

You may be the one that'll be a victim of the shortsightness of these that can make a CHANGE (these that are in the gov).

EEytonJones
12-29-2009, 11:47 PM

If Id stay decently young my whole life (+/-30) I probably would...

Delta1
12-29-2009, 11:48 PM

lol this. also they would never give the public eternal life. maybe only to the rich and famous and special forces soldiers.

bobbylemke
12-29-2009, 11:49 PM
i always wondered if and when this would happen

Amsterdammerr
A great presentation on the (sad) situation thats esp apparent in US (illustration of it is at the end, but it's worth watching it full as I bet many of you doesn't even iamgine what kind of potential exists just NOW, at the moment, not in the future, movies or fiction books, NOW) it's really amazing: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/alan_russell_on_regenerating_our_bodies.html

You may be the one that'll be a victim of the shortsightness of these that can make a CHANGE (these that are in the gov).
When I mean youre a nutjob look at the below statement
Stop living in a fantasy bro, Id love to life on a world like pandorra as an avatar but that just aint reality lol

lol this. also they would never give the public eternal life. maybe only to the rich and famous and special forces soldiers.

Achilles87
If this is comes true our lives would be fukked and we'd probably just end up wiping ourselves out

Atlas_Army
12-29-2009, 11:51 PM
If this is comes true our lives would be fukked and we'd probably just end up wiping ourselves out

IN a matter of 2 years the world would be over populated. There is no way that kinda of tech would ever get out to the public. You can forget this immortality nonsense ever happening

IwillBaMonster
12-29-2009, 11:51 PM

They would. Actually for a technology to become commercially profitable you need it to make CHEAP, as the general poppulation are the CONSUMERS that make the larger part of the income for these that sell the technology. And new technology is expensive just at the very start.

BTW - can you imagine a big company having the same loyal customers for a loooong time, buying, buying and buying (as they live.. are healthy and want to enjoy). It's a dream come true for any big corp.

Amsterdammerr
12-29-2009, 11:52 PM
IN a matter of 2 years the world would be over populated. There is no way that kinda of tech would ever get out to the public. You can forget this immortality nonsense ever happening

They would. Actually for a technology to become commercially profitable you need it to make CHEAP, as the general poppulation are the CONSUMERS that make the larger part of the income for these that sell the technology. And new technology is expensive just at the very start.

BTW - can you imagine a big company having the same loyal customers for a loooong time, buying, buying and buying (as they live.. are healthy and want to enjoy). It's a dream come true for any big corp.

Again look at the post above you
Also theres this thing thats CALLED GOVERNMENT

-Lucifer
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Some mutant powers would be cool too.

Achilles87
12-29-2009, 11:56 PM

Exactly. It would be a complete cluster fuk.

IwillBaMonster
12-29-2009, 11:56 PM
When I mean youre a nutjob look at the below statement
Stop living in a fantasy bro, Id love to life on a world like pandorra as an avatar but that just aint reality lol

I can't talk with you in a constructive manner as you clearly have an ATTITUDE on this subject. Though it's no surptise. I've met a lot of people who are literally AGAINST the idea by a pure emotional level of approaching it, but once they got to learn the SCIENCE (the real, existing, being developed and improving faster then you read this WORD) they change their minds.
You think it's a fantasy (based on what?) I know it's a VERY POSSIBLE near future (depending on how fast/effective the actions are going to be) based on SCIENCE. If you don't believe me - watch TED, Singularity summit, google videos on such guys like Aubrey De Grey (there are a good long introductory one). Trust me - Ph.Ds that attend these summits have something new to learn, you'd too learn something interesting for sure, no mater how smart you think you are.

jfindon
12-30-2009, 12:01 AM

Exactly. These assdicks don't know how to estimate timeframes.

Strive6
12-30-2009, 12:02 AM
lol @ dreamers ITT

we have the technology for flying cars, and have had it since probably the late 80s, but there isn't a market for a 250k+ flying deathtrap.

Alternatively you could look 40 years back and see how many people predicted how advanced and ubiquitous cell phones have become become, or DNA mapping so cheap that undergrad students can perform PCR on a regular basis.

Not trying to disrespect anyone's opinion, but nobody under the age of 30 will die from natural causes, period, you can quote me on that.

quoted for stupidity

IwillBaMonster
12-30-2009, 12:02 AM

Everytime you use antibiotics or some different surgery on your body - you are "making it true". It's just on ANOTHER LEVEL. The different viewpoint, that'll be the MAIN outlook in the near future, just wait (if you can) and see.
Why should you concentrate on a zillion disseases, when you can concentrate one ONE, that's the cause of the MOST of these zillion, it's called - AGING.
People are conditioned to think that aging is "natural", thus - required and this is just how it "must" be. No, actually there ARE species that DOES NOT SHOW SIGNS OF AGING. They "won" the evolution in some sense. (for more - google agelessanimals). Fascinating stuff once you get to know it,, may change your outlook to a lot of things in life.

omglazer
12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
says 1 scientist

IwillBaMonster
12-30-2009, 12:06 AM

I'm just tired of answering the same questions again and again. Trust me - the ones you are asking/stating as an "obstacle" were answered looong ago and are included in almost every "FAQ" youd' find on life extension, if you are really interested. Don't be arrogant and think that you know it all, better spend some time reading and improve yourself and your knowledge on an interesting topic (no matter what personal conclusion you'll come with, AFTER educating). Really, don't be so negative, aging inevitabili WILL be cured (it's already happening.. hormone replacements, organ growing, stem cell procedures..) the big question is WHEN.

Achilles87
12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Everytime you use antibiotics or some different surgery on your body - you are "making it true". It's just on ANOTHER LEVEL. The different viewpoint, that'll be the MAIN outlook in the near future, just wait (if you can) and see.
Why should you concentrate on a zillion disseases, when you can concentrate one ONE, that's the cause of the MOST of these zillion, it's called - AGING.
People are conditioned to think that aging is "natural", thus - required and this is just how it "must" be. No, actually there ARE species that DOES NOT SHOW SIGNS OF AGING. They "won" the evolution in some sense. (for more - google agelessanimals). Fascinating stuff once you get to know it,, may change your outlook to a lot of things in life.

But can you imagine living forever, completely destroys our belief systems. Life is no longer special since there is no end. You could spend 120 years fapping to porn and never leaving your house and it doesn't matter. I find it very ethically questionable.

Life is only precious because it is limited.

SirTerrythe3rd
12-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Great so I'll be old 43, and I'd have to pray to be wealthy by then.

Dan.
12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
this is old, my friend told me about this about a year ago. Basically aging is looked at as a disease. And once they figure out how to manipulate aging they can control how long youll be able to live. However anyone with a brain knows that the government would never allow us to be immortal.

1. Overpopulation
2. Chaos
3. People wont support it due to "playing god"

IwillBaMonster
12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
But can you imagine living forever, completely destroys our belief systems. Life is no longer special since there is no end. You could spend 120 years fapping to porn and never leaving your house and it doesn't matter. I find it very ethically questionable.

Life is only precious because it is limited.

I don't agree (because I share a differnt point of view). Life is precious (again TO ME) because one can LIVE and experience it.
And we talk about an INCREASE of a healthy lifespan (maybe indefinite, on the long run), which is ridiculously short at the moment (from my point of view).

Afterall, we are talking about a CHOICE (you could allways refuse to receive any life extending therapies and die like billions already died). Hell, you could refuse an aspirin when you'll need it..

IwillBaMonster
12-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Great so I'll be old 43, and I'd have to pray to be wealthy by then.

Better be wealthy brah, and not for having a flashy crib, but for the medicine rich people around you will be able to afford. You can see many 50+ people going strong at the moment because of the "past medicine" (that's used today) many even ripped on peptides like gh lol, so just imagine how will it be after 20 years. Trust me - you won't want to be an ordinary "40 yo" when many around you will run in their biological twenties.
Similar situation to a plastic surgery. Celebs and rich people that can afford it - can "halt" time looks wise.

Mac_xX
12-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Cool stuff. They're building a nanotechnology building on my campus at University of Waterloo...

http://www.nano.uwaterloo.ca/facilities/qnc.html

IrateBrah
12-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Some people here sound so scared of progress and change that they cant help their emotional outbursts at the ideas presented. And no doubt they dont have a clue about the scientific concepts behind these ideas.

1. There is no magic pill that will make you live forever. Scientists are clearly talking about progress in medicine which is accelerating and increasing the life expectancy of everyone. If Polio didnt kill you, that means you have already benefited from this.

Last time I checked, the government is not stopping progress in medicine, neither are they banning vaccines etc.

2. And immortality is clearly a misleading word used in the article. The scientists are talking about stopping or curing Ageing. So Accidents/disasters can still kill you.

Ryan711
12-30-2009, 04:42 PM

I have to ask a serious question, and I know it's probably stupid, but do both of you think that one day there is just going to be some magic pill that stops us from aging? If you do, you should probably stop wasting my oxygen and kill yourselves.

As time goes on, so will out ability to extend the lifespan. Currently it's about 2 months per year. In other words, if it was a linear progression (which it's not, it's either exponential or logarithmic, can't remember) in 1 years time, we would have expanded our lives by 24 months. This assumes a young healthy person, and not an 80 year old dying of cancer.

So, as the extension finally reaches 12 months per year, we will have reached imortality.

quoted for stupidity

Ironic to say the least. If anybody is truly interested in this stuff, I wouldn't recommend listening to anybody on this forum. Most of us are undergrads, and only a fraction of those majoring in the sciences. Nobody is really in a position to offer an opinion. I would suggest reading some scientific journals, more specifically, ones dealing with genetics and/or microbiology.

Travis71902
12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
way late on this thread, but yeah, immortality in 20 years? LMFAO/

we can't even beat things like cancer and herpes.

Not to mention immortality, for all intents and purposes is impossible and not realistic.

Yes, I realize 200 years ago flying to the moon would get the same response, impossible.