PDA

View Full Version : causes of phlegm

rudeboyska
09-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I wasn't exactly sure on what category to put this. When I work out if I eat anything within an hour of my workout I'm constantly hacking up phlegm and sometimes throw up... This is going to be a problem for me if I'm going to be a personal trainer. No client wants to see their personal trainer having to go over to the garbage can to spit after every set. I was concerned about it being an allergic reaction to the whey protein but all the possible side effects from that was gas and bloating. A milk allergy? Lactose intolerant? I'm not quite sure. Am I the only one with this problem? any help would be appreciated.

Dr Clay
09-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Although your case does sound rather extreme, people who are allergic to dairy products do typically get phlegm production after consuming them. You could be allergic to the lactose (milk sugar) or to one of the milk proteins themselves (i.e. B-lactoglobulin).

A good starting point for figuring out your exact problem would be to avoid consuming any protein supplements at all. Instead, eat a small meal consisting of something like chicken and rice 90 to 120 minutes before training.

This should help you to start to solve this riddle.

Best,

Burial
09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I get the same reaction if I have dairy.. not being able to consume whey products sucks!

number87
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
try mixing your protein with water and see if that helps. then youll know its the milk, if it is.