PDA

View Full Version : p90x

dcswamper
09-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I just got p90x and am going to start it tomorrow. Has anyone tried it? Did it work? If it did work did you use the nutrition guide that came with it or make your own? Also I cant do pull ups yet or have away to do them(dont feel comfortable with the door hanging pull-up bar), so I was wondering if I could just do push ups instead of the pull-ups? Thanks

DonnyFlam
09-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I just got p90x and am going to start it tomorrow. Has anyone tried it? Did it work? If it did work did you use the nutrition guide that came with it or make your own? Also I cant do pull ups yet or have away to do them(dont feel comfortable with the door hanging pull-up bar), so I was wondering if I could just do push ups instead of the pull-ups? Thanks

I personally haven't done p90x but know some people that have. From what I understand, the real strength of the program is actually the nutrition guide (ironic seeing as it is sold as an exercise program) but you need to follow it to the T. They also tell you what exercises to do if you can't do something in the video. Like if you can't do a pull-up they tell you to do a negative until you can, things like that.

kingofswing01
09-20-2009, 06:56 PM

push ups work mostly the chest (pecs) , pull ups work the back (lats). Start by doing an assisted pull up (ie jumping) to help you, jump up from the ground and try to control your way down slowly try for maybe 5 seconds - 3 seconds...whatever you can do after you drop some weight they'll come to you.. it gets easier.

beyondbasic
09-20-2009, 07:07 PM
i weighted 260 at one point and the door hangin bar held me fine. i have not tried p90 but heard MANY good thing about it. good luck. and to poster above me. depending on arm position is what muscle a push up will work.

kingofswing01
09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
i weighted 260 at one point and the door hangin bar held me fine. i have not tried p90 but heard MANY good thing about it. good luck. and to poster above me. depending on arm position is what muscle a push up will work.

If you're doing a classic pull up or chin up and not say a kipping pull up , the basic or primary muscle worked are the lats, the secondary would be the brachialis and the third would be the Brachioradialis. But the primary muscle group is always the lats or the latissimus dorsi

Overdosed
09-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Did it work?
It works only as much as you want it to. If you truly do "bring it" you will see results. If you don't push yourself the hardest that you can, then you are wasting your time.

If it did work did you use the nutrition guide that came with it or make your own?
I would recommend to start out using their nutrition guide, they make it really easy to follow your food and make sure you are getting the proper nutrients in your diet. Read the nutrition guide, it has all the information you will need about it.

Also I cant do pull ups yet or have away to do them(dont feel comfortable with the door hanging pull-up bar), so I was wondering if I could just do push ups instead of the pull-ups? Thanks
They are a pretty big part of the program. In the videos you will see them demonstrating the use of resistance bands as a replacement for pull-ups. This way may work well for you too, I know they sell kits where you hook up the band to the top of the door so you can do these kind of exercises. They always show the resistance band alternative to the dumbbell exercises as well.

Overall it is a good program but you will only see results based on how hard you push yourself during the exercises. One thing that I found to be more productive when I was trying out the program is to write down the exercise list and just do them at your own pace. I didn't like the waste of time where he explains the exercise each time you watch it. I found I got a much more rewarding workout without those extra gaps in time. The diet is a pretty big part of it, and they really encourage people to follow it and not try their own. Especially in today's society where people are really uneducated when it comes to "diet" they could do themselves more harm then help if they tried their own...

Good luck with the program!

AnimalPaintball
09-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Me and my wife are on the 2nd round of P90X.

I personally love it. It keeps you motivated and fun. I remember the first week was agonizing, but after about a month or so we started getting a hang of it and by the time we completed the first round we were keeping up with the instructors on TV.

The hardest part of P90X is finding/making the time to use it. The sessions them selves are quite challenging but in a fun way if that makes any sense.

Just keep at it, you will have a blast. And of all the CDs believe it or not I sweat the most on Yoga. Yeah I know, but mark my words. After the Yoga session you will be sweating bullets.

Have Fun
Mondo

cwestwjg
09-20-2009, 10:06 PM

My kids do the P90X videos for fun (6,8, and 10 seriously)they really aren't that hard to do. It's good if you want a laugh watching the bigger guy struggle with 15 pound weights like the excersizes are that hard.

The ab ripper routine is actually the only decent workout in the set IMO.

diablo2032
09-21-2009, 07:49 AM
good program

amyjones
09-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Check out DaddyBeast's thread:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=350101811&posted=1#post350101811

Its a great review and gives you a good understanding on what to expect with the program.

bah01001
09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
My roomie did it for a couple weeks and ended up stopping (he didn't have time to continue doing it due to job requirements)

As stated above, the nutritional guide is what really makes P90X and the only downfall to this guide is that they expect you to be a 5 star chef and have the time to make all these meals....yea, great program and all...has to do with constant moving and exercises to keep your heart rate up (more of a cardio workout than a lifting work out in my opinion).....

But good program if you have the time to actually prepare all the meals....i'd rather just go to the gym and lift and run :-P

lordsnow
09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
My roomie did it for a couple weeks and ended up stopping (he didn't have time to continue doing it due to job requirements)

As stated above, the nutritional guide is what really makes P90X and the only downfall to this guide is that they expect you to be a 5 star chef and have the time to make all these meals....yea, great program and all...has to do with constant moving and exercises to keep your heart rate up (more of a cardio workout than a lifting work out in my opinion).....

But good program if you have the time to actually prepare all the meals....i'd rather just go to the gym and lift and run :-P

I'm on Day 21 of the program right now, In the nutrition guide there is a portion plan to use instead of making the meals thay plan out, thats what I've een using. It makes it a hell of a lot easier.

I like the program its working for me. If you can't do pullups yet spend the $40 to get the resistance bands. They show alternate excercises with them.

KawRider
09-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I just finished my workout for day 15 a couple hours ago. P90X is a great plan for anyone who has the time and dedication to do the video's. They really are a workout if you push yourself as hard as you can and do your best to the lift the most weight you can the right way and the right reps.

You have to eat right. I have been being very strict with my diet. Lean protein and steamed veggies for pretty much all my meals. Also 2 protein shakes a day, the occasional protein bar all for my snacks so I can keep something in my body every few hours. I am avoiding carbs before 6 or 7pm still keeping them to a minimum and usually have 2 days a week where I "carb up" but nothing crazy. I feel too drained all week if I don't. Cheating is very very minimal. I am supplementing using BSN's Mass Stack Elite. It consists of Syntha 6, NO-Explode, Cellmass and Nitrix. I have just been following the directions as best as possible with these.

That being said. I have weighed myself every Monday morning and my weight has stayed right around 168 the whole time. This is great to me because I AM noticing good results and have had a couple other people mention how much more "buff" I look. The amount I lift has went up every week. My maximum reps have gone up. I am less tired, but still sweating my ass off. My posture is better. Clothes fit better. Also I have had very good compliments in the bedroom. On day one I did maybe just over half of the Ab Ripper X workout. It is now day 15 and I barely missed any reps. Out of 329 total reps hitting the abs I did over 300 easily, in 15 minutes.

All around it works I think. I hope to keep decreasing fat while building muscle and staying around 165-170. After 90 days I will see where I am and go from there, likely a good bulk. To me I feel like there is no way P90X wont work if you bring it every day! Well 6 days...

Maikeri
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
i did p90 for 2 months and loved it the whole way through. my biggest problem i had with the program is that i was only in the gym 3 days a week, the other 2 were spent at home doing exercise.

plyometrics kicked my butt, but it REALLY paid off for basketball. im soooo close to dunking now because of it :D

ambiguity00100
09-21-2009, 03:55 PM
i did p90 for 2 months and loved it the whole way through. my biggest problem i had with the program is that i was only in the gym 3 days a week, the other 2 were spent at home doing exercise.

plyometrics kicked my butt, but it REALLY paid off for basketball. im soooo close to dunking now because of it :D

I did p90x as well and can say the same thing for the basketball thing. I am able to run circles around ppl and after the first game of 3 on 3 most people have their hands on their knees and I am still running around. Best feeling in the world when you have the stamina to "kick the panties" off anyone! (lol).

The program in general will lean you out if you stick to it. Most sets push you til failure so you are more likely to just burn your muscle and fat. Once you complete it - focus on building up again (that's the state I am currently trying to acheive). I have the stamina to bust my ass in the gym now and love it!

Diet is huge and should be followed to a T to see results.

ira_est_a_donum
09-21-2009, 04:14 PM

do rack chins instead ... youtube and google video that and youll see how to do them...

do them using your kitchen table where you grab overhand on the edge and lay your legs under the table back is facing the ground...chest is facing up.... and you pull yourself up trying to touch your chest near the bottom of the table

you can also put a rod,bar, or something across the 2 chairs and do rack chins that way... you can add dbs to your lap to make it heavier ..or an ez curl bar with or without weights across your thighs is what i do

you can also do DB rows instead of pullups

Dramatic
09-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Not a whole lot I can add to what's already been said, but it's definitely a program for cutting. They tell you to vary your rep ranges based on your goals, but you're not gonna bulk up even if you lift heavy.

boricua4_life
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
one of my friend and his wife used this and they both lost quite a bit of weight. i havent personally used it but good luck man.

ShayZ
09-21-2009, 06:11 PM

I did it for 30 days, then switched to the gym and cardio for the rest, upto day 70 essentially of my diet.

First 30 days on p90X I lost around 15 pounds. Everything fit looser, and it definitely works. I kinda skipped Yoga day and did Cardio on that day instead.

I made my own nurtition guide up. 200 or so carbs a day, 250 protein grams a day, rest fat. I ate 2200 cals a day started at 235ish.

For the pull ups, I cant do em either. I had a chair under my feet. He actually shows you this technique in the video. Works great and wears you out very well.

Im around 206 at Day 70 now. So 29 pounds in 70 days. Ive gotten a HELL of a lot stronger so I believe Ive lost even more fat and gained muscle.

Here's my first 30 days thread. With pics of the first 30 day progress.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118351261

Edit: Haha just read that thread. Ive made some insane gains since then. I do a hell of a lot more on my bicel curl/shoulder press excercise, and I posted how I finally saw one vein in my forearm. I can now see 3-4 veins per arm, as well as my hands are getting veiny. Also see veins starting to pop out my calves when I do leg day.

jorg3
09-21-2009, 08:21 PM
years a go i was 240 went down to 176. then went up to 204..Then i started p90x June 1st @204..I was 178 at the end weeks back...I didnt follow the p90x meal plan, iate what i wanted, but healthy of course..i also skipped yoga and x stretch..but i did double cardio on those days..on regualr days i also did cardio in the pm when i did p90x in the AM...Anytime this week i will reach 174 which will put me at my lowest ever..last time i was 174 i was in 7th or 8th grade, im turning 24 in october...I purchased insanity and I will start the first Monday of october..

Honestly i dont recommend people who are in their 230's+ to do p90x you wont get the results they promise at that high level, i just dont want peeps do dissapoint themselves.. But if it works and you are happy, power to you...You will reach your ultimate goals eventually..

David.J
09-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I have two weeks left until i'm done with phase 3. I workeded incredibly hard and got amazing results but still no 6 pack...

fridaythe13th
09-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I have two weeks left until i'm done with phase 3. I workeded incredibly hard and got amazing results but still no 6 pack...

that's better then a kick in the nuts.

ambiguity00100
09-22-2009, 08:08 PM
years a go i was 240 went down to 176. then went up to 204..Then i started p90x June 1st @204..I was 178 at the end weeks back...I didnt follow the p90x meal plan, iate what i wanted, but healthy of course..i also skipped yoga and x stretch..but i did double cardio on those days..on regualr days i also did cardio in the pm when i did p90x in the AM...Anytime this week i will reach 174 which will put me at my lowest ever..last time i was 174 i was in 7th or 8th grade, im turning 24 in october...I purchased insanity and I will start the first Monday of october..

Honestly i dont recommend people who are in their 230's+ to do p90x you wont get the results they promise at that high level, i just dont want peeps do dissapoint themselves.. But if it works and you are happy, power to you...You will reach your ultimate goals eventually..

Agreed. I brought myself to a sustainable weight (240 down to 190) simply by cutting out bad foods (soda mostly). Then P90X helped me change my entire physique and stamina - never felt better.

earlywynn
09-23-2009, 03:17 AM
I'm in the last four days of the program. I went from 210 to 190. I followed the P90X nutrition plan the first two months, then went on a much more stringent nutritional program the third month -- very low carb and based on a diet from the 1970s.

I could not do the entire Plyometrics training. I was good for 35 minutes, that's it. The first week it killed me. Last week, I recovered in about an hour -- vastly improved stamina over the course of the program. I couldn't do the entire Kempo X at first either, but by the end of the course I could. Same with Core Synergistics, I managed to do the entire workout by the end. Yoga? The toughest of all. I was going to skip it, but decided to try it the first week just to make sure it was worth skipping. I could only do 20 minutes of it -- holding stretch poses made me want to puke. Very tough for a fat guy to do. But by the last week I got up to 40 minutes.

I set my daily calorie totals to lose weight at a rate of 1.5 pounds per week, and P90X definitely helped with that. The program exposes you to every kind of exercise imaginable -- yoga, isometrics, jump training, weights, calisthenics, martial arts -- just a wide panoply of stuff. No, it won't help you bulk up, since the weight lifting program is damn close to being aerobic itself. But it sure helps you cut. Like others, I didn't have a way to do pull-ups but fortunately I own an old Weider weight machine set with a lat pull station. It only goes up to #175, so I did a lot of reps.

Like someone said earlier, I wrote down the exercises on a sheet of paper for the resistance workouts, and I only used the DVDs for the cardio stuff.

It was worth it to me. At my age -- and a heart attack survivor to boot -- I'm pretty damn impressed I was able to finish at all, even if I wasn't able to do the entire cardio workouts. I'll try it again next year and see if I can go the distance.