PDA

View Full Version : when calculating maintenance...experts PLEASE read

luv2pump
09-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Yes, I did a search first and checked stickies but I got too many differing opinions. I want an accurate and current opinion. Thanks so much.

To calculate my maintenance correctly so that I may work out a deficit to cut efficiently, is the formula 12, 15, 18 or 20 times your body weight? Or another figure? I am double-checking as I feel I am lagging in this area.

Thank you.

dat
09-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm not an expert, but I read it anyway.

There is no magic formula to work out your maintenance, your metabolic rate is dependant on many, many variables that are unmeasurable, and often vary daily.

All of the calculators you find are ESTIMATES. They ESTIMATE your metabolic rate. To get a better estimate for your real metabolic rate you must pick a number, eat that many calories for a period of time and monitor your weight, if your weight remains constant, that is going to be close to your maintenance.

luv2pump
09-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm not an expert, but I read it anyway.

There is no magic formula to work out your maintenance, your metabolic rate is dependant on many, many variables that are unmeasurable, and often vary daily.

All of the calculators you find are ESTIMATES. They ESTIMATE your metabolic rate. To get a better estimate for your real metabolic rate you must pick a number, eat that many calories for a period of time and monitor your weight, if your weight remains constant, that is going to be close to your maintenance.

Make sense. Thanks for replying. And I wrote that experts bit so the veterans here would read it too. I want to get this right!!!

I was worried about too much of a deficit affecting my muscle mass BUT it is not as important as just weighing in each week and going from there, correct? I have only cut from 150 to 143 since early July and that just is not much.

dat
09-20-2009, 12:56 AM
The slower you cut, the less muscle mass you will lose (compared to fat loss)

luv2pump
09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
So, I could see it as a good thing, the slow loss.

phal
09-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Just use something like http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm as a guideline and you have to see for yourself. Everything is trial and error, no formula is going to tell you exactly how much/little to eat.

Adjust accordingly.

belairdfence99
09-20-2009, 01:50 PM
BRB, looking for said "experts" on BB.com

luv2pump
09-20-2009, 01:59 PM
BRB, looking for said "experts" on BB.com

Okay, maybe 32 is old- what is "BRB"?