PDA

View Full Version : The Swine Flu is not a serious threat

powerman2000
09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
So, I'm trying to understand why the MSM and anyone else talking about the swine flu has been making it sound so much worse that in really is?

It's not even as severe as a normal seasonal flu.

I don't understand what the big deal is.

bubba g
09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
So, I'm trying to understand why the MSM and anyone else talking about the swine flu has been making it sound so much worse that in really is?

Hey bro, long time no see.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I stumbled upon something that really made me wonder about this. I was looking up financial info on something, and found that the Pharmaceutical company that created Tamiflu (Roche) was losing a ton of money because the demand for the drug was far far lower then what they expected it would be, and they had produced millions, and millions of doses because of that predicted bird flu pandemic that never amounted to anything.

If I can find the link I will post it, but it was a financial site, and the article was from a year before the first reported case of swine flu.

I have to ask myself, "would a multi billion dollar company purposely infect the population with a fairly harmless virus, that can be blown way out of proportion to prevent losing billions of dollars?" When you look at some of the underhanded things that big corporations have been caught doing i the past, it isn't hard to imagine.

The pharmaceutical company must have access to the virus, because in order to find a medicine that is effective against it, they have to have the virus, and infect animals with it, and attempt to cure them.

kappakai
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey bro, long time no see.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I stumbled upon something that really made me wonder about this. I was looking up financial info on something, and found that the Pharmaceutical company that created Tamiflu was losing a ton of money because the demand for the drug was far far lower then what they expected it would be, and they had produced millions, and millions of doses because of that predicted bird flu pandemic that never amounted to anything.

If I can find the link I will post it, but it was a financial site, and the article was from a year before the first reported case of swine flu.

I have to ask myself, "would a multi billion dollar company purposely infect the population with a fairly harmless virus, that can be blown way out of proportion to prevent losing billions of dollars?" When you look at some of the underhanded things that big corporations have been caught doing i the past, it isn't hard to imagine.

The pharmaceutical company must have access to the virus, because in order to find a medicine that is effective against it, they have to have the virus, and infect animals with it, and attempt to cure them.

You're probably thinking of Baxter, correct? Look them up by name, there are a couple of articles dealing with what you're talking.

1. Create a problem
2. Develop a solution
3. ?????
4. Profit

bubba g
09-08-2009, 12:10 PM
You're probably thinking of Baxter, correct? Look them up by name, there are a couple of articles dealing with what you're talking.

1. Create a problem
2. Develop a solution
3. ?????
4. Profit

Roche is the company that makes Tamaflu.

GirthyCawk
09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
I think the problem with swine flu is that, although it's not very common, it's more dangerous once you contract it.

Normal flu has a death rate of about 1/1000, for swine flu it looks like 1/100.

edit - my 1/100 figure came from a news article, but according to wikipedia the rate is 1/1000 just like the normal flu.

I think the fear is that it will mutate into something more potent.

bubba g
09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I think the problem with swine flu is that, although it's not very common, it's more dangerous once you contract it.

It's not 1/100.

kappakai
09-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Roche is the company that makes Tamaflu.

oh gotcha. baxter is the company that is manufacturing the vaccine for H1N1. btw, did you see how they botched the H5N1 vaccine?

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/02/27/8560781.html

Pay_Me
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM

edit - my 1/100 figure came from a news article, but according to wikipedia the rate is 1/1000 just like the normal flu.

I think the fear is that it will mutate into something more potent.

Yes, the big fear is we have no immunity to it and if it mutates it could be deadly. Also some people with no underlying conditions died from it, in abnormal age range for death due to flu.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/H1N1+victim+infected+before+arrival+WorldSkills+ev ent+Calgary/1961720/story.html

He was only middle aged, no underlying conditions.

Also people are keeping a close eye on New Guinea because there's an outbreak of something flulike killing people.

bubba g
09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
oh gotcha. baxter is the company that is manufacturing the vaccine for H1N1. btw, did you see how they botched the H5N1 vaccine?

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/02/27/8560781.html

You would think that quality control would be a little more rigid on a substance that they plan on injecting into people, many of which will be children.

kappakai
09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
You would think that quality control would be a little more rigid on a substance that they plan on injecting into people, many of which will be children.

Exactly. Unless it wasn't a mistake.

AKR
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

lol on the idea of pharmaceutical companies caring about children. :D

DUN DUN DUUUUN!

kappakai
09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
DUN DUN DUUUUN!

oh but that's crazy. no one would put money in front of the health of a fellow human being.

bubba g
09-08-2009, 12:50 PM

I believe it was a mistake, because I am sure law suites will follow. I'm sure there are better ways to infect the population with a virus.

You know, like infect a single pig.

iamlegend
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM

you do know that they are trying to take precaution if it evolves right?

AKR
09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
oh but that's crazy. no one would put money in front of the health of a fellow human being.

Never! And we can totally trust the FDA, which is funded by the pharmaceutical companies it oversees.

kappakai
09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Never! And we can totally trust the FDA, which is funded by the pharmaceutical companies it oversees.

To facilitate communication, manage complex relationships and cooperate on future projects!

powerman2000
09-08-2009, 02:35 PM
you do know that they are trying to take precaution if it evolves right?

What does that have to do with the uproar produced by the MSM for a flu that is less than a normal flu?

IdahoViking
09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I think the major thing with the swine flu is not how dangerous it is per person, but how quickly it can spread.

Based on the recent pandemic, it has shown that we are highly suceptible to it.

Sure the death rate may be the same as a normal strain, but it seems likely that a full blown outbreak will 'infect' many more people than the 'normal' flu strains are capable of; thus by shear numbers alone more people may die as a result.

More potential deaths if 80% of the world population is infected than if only 20% of the population gets sick.

nutsy54
09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
So, I'm trying to understand why the MSM and anyone else talking about the swine flu has been making it sound so much worse that in really is?For the same reason that a hurricane forming in the middle of the ocean gets attention - Because it could be devastating! - Stay tuned for more!

For the same reason it's always a Massive Blizzard on the Way! - Stay tuned for more!

For the same reason it's a Huge crash with dozens of cars! - Stay tuned for more!

Excitement and exaggeration sell papers and TV time, not boring and unimpressive statistics.

Oops, apparently this makes more "sense"...

Major Media, which consistently sells and profits from "Major" news events does the same thing with H1N1 that they do with nearly every other story.

Thus, conclusive proof that's it's really a grand conspiracy of mass murder to reap endless profits while slaughtering millions". :rolleyes:

Tiffany Wantsmore
09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I think our governments deliberately overplayed the threat to take people's minds off the economy and the bank bailouts and the mortgage restrictions and etc.

potatoe
09-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I think our governments deliberately overplayed the threat to take people's minds off the economy and the bank bailouts and the mortgage restrictions and etc.

I doubt it. The economy is in your face 24/7/365. Its like nutsy said, its just massive ploy to get viewers. Which is a pity since I'd rather know about other things going in the U.S./World.

kappakai
09-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I doubt it. The economy is in your face 24/7/365. Its like nutsy said, its just massive ploy to get viewers. Which is a pity since I'd rather know about other things going in the U.S./World.

Oudin! Oudin!!!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/9/7/1252354925786/Melanie-Oudin-001.jpg

potatoe
09-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Oudin! Oudin!!!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/9/7/1252354925786/Melanie-Oudin-001.jpg

wat

kappakai
09-08-2009, 03:42 PM
wat

she was all over the news this past weekend. 17 year old tennis phenom knocks off three Russians in upsets at the US open. i thnk CBS news, the serious one, spent a good 5 minutes of their 30 minute broadcast on her.

potatoe
09-08-2009, 03:45 PM
she was all over the news this past weekend. 17 year old tennis phenom knocks off three Russians in upsets at the US open. i thnk CBS news, the serious one, spent a good 5 minutes of their 30 minute broadcast on her.

oh yeah. i remember now. the girl that beat sharapova or w/e.

Vitalshok44
09-08-2009, 03:56 PM

This is Obama's bird flu.

Bird flu is trumped up as the next influenza and Bush was a moron because he didn't somehow see it coming.

Now that something like bird flu has popped up, we'll trump it up again so that Obama can save us from it.

or in layman's terms, Bush was idiot because he didn't save us from a non-pandemic

Obama is savior because he did save us from non-pandemic