PDA

View Full Version : University prof says bodybuilders are stupid if taking over 60g protein a day.

TheNameless
09-02-2009, 05:45 PM
On the first day of class!! Her reasoning is that we dont need over 60 so the protein molecule splits into a carb and nitrogen molecule and the nitrogen is pissed out (causing stress on liver)

I would really love to prove her wrong so If anyone has any studies or common sense they would like to throw in here I would really appreciate it.

There is going to be a debate in the near future. snarl.

chenrko420
09-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Pure broscience. Show her some papers on protein intake and protein synthesis and etc.

Ruz4life
09-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Pure broscience. Show her some papers on protein intake and protein synthesis and etc.

Or don't make a huge deal out of it and stick to what you know. It wouldn't be worth it to try and show up the professor and then end up failing the class because of it.

Jtyc40
09-02-2009, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=TheNameless;379941361]On the first day of class!! Her reasoning is that we dont need over 60 so the protein molecule splits into a carb and nitrogen molecule and the nitrogen is pissed out (causing stress on liver)

I would really love to prove her wrong so If anyone has any studies or common sense they would like to throw in here I would really appreciate it.

There is going to be a debate in the near future. snarl.[/QUOTE

I looked into this once, only thing i could find to validate was they used the metric system for their intake.

Pound
0.45 kilograms
Kilogram
2.21 pounds

determined4000
09-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Or don't make a huge deal out of it and stick to what you know. It wouldn't be worth it to try and show up the professor and then end up failing the class because of it.

x2
when I disagree with a professor I always tell them that they are right the next day regardless of my true beliefs.
1. They aren't going to change their mind no matter how much evidence you have
2. Grading is subjective and if you publicly admit the professor is right in front of the class, you will probably get an A or get on the professor's good side (at the very least).

Valjean
09-02-2009, 05:58 PM
My nutrition textbook says that hardcore atheletes should take 117g of complete or complementary proteins a day. It's big enough to hurt someone if you hit him with the book.

lee__d
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
what class was it out of curiosity?

here's one study, an abstract (gotta subsribe for full text): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1474076

also, like that guy said, dont try to show her up in class, maybe ask her about it aside.

Holyspokes
09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
never try to "show" her up. Most professors love having discussions about stuff like that outside of class. It shows your interested in the subject. I've done it quite a few times and ended up getting more respect rather then pissing them off.

gomango259
09-02-2009, 06:02 PM
walk up after class and be like "i just thought you should know.... you're a complete idiot."

Simmo0508
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
theres a site online that tells you the exact amount u need

No, there isn't.

pp301
09-02-2009, 06:27 PM
i just had a urine test im on around 160grams a day...the doc said theres no signs of protein overdose in my piss so unless it comes out ma ass...im clear

ShaeHST
09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
never try to "show" her up. Most professors love having discussions about stuff like that outside of class. It shows your interested in the subject. I've done it quite a few times and ended up getting more respect rather then pissing them off.

Great advice. Having this discussion out of class during office hours, or free time that professor offers to students for discussions, is the best thing to do if you really want to "argue" with your professor :).

However, even when you do this, don't expect to change your professor's mind, no matter how much evidence you have.

BFJ
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
On the first day of class!! Her reasoning is that we dont need over 60 so the protein molecule splits into a carb and nitrogen molecule and the nitrogen is pissed out (causing stress on liver)

There is going to be a debate in the near future. snarl.

first off i am assuming that is "exactly" what your professor said. in a very literal sense of need "nitrogen balance" she is pretty close to correct for your average joe. when talking especially about athletes/bodybuilders looking to gain LBM and or any athlete participating in lots of vigorous activity there is very strong and rapidly building consensus that would argue the populations i just mentioned surely need more. the issn, ada/acsm/dietitians of canada, and likely other organizations such as the nsca have position stands providing evidence for the greater protein need in these active populations. remember nitrogen balance has it's flaws and bodybuilders want to be in positive nitrogen balance if this measure is even of value to them. now the real question is many bodybuilders would argue that bodybuilders need even more protein than what those organizations i mentioned recommend. it will be interesting to see if more research comes along to support that as well.

Bad Meets Evil
09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
You should take your clothes off in class and say, "WELL OBVIOUSLY I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG!"

Samamo
09-02-2009, 10:45 PM
You should take your clothes off in class and say, "WELL OBVIOUSLY I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG!"

I was going to suggest the same thing :P

mr. strength
09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
isnt the nitrogen balance achieved by taking more of everything else when consuming a high protein intake, such as, if you take alot of protein, you also take alot of carbs and whatever else, its not like you're an average joe who eats nothing but protein only, right?

btw, i know nothing and im just assuming..

KurtyJ99
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Someday I will find a actual proffesser that has alot of expercience with steroids.

When this day comes I will post my expercience here and it will be the greatest thread ever.