PDA

View Full Version : rules that need to be changed in the nfl

jacketfan
09-02-2009, 10:45 AM
-Division winners get to host first round of playoffs.

stupid to have an 8 or 9 win team host a game vs a 11 or 12 win team.

add yours

ESPforMe
09-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Stop slowly turning it into touch football

papi93
Overtime scoring. College overtime > NFL's. Both teams should get a shot at scoring.

mm55
Put the facemask rule back to what it was, not a PF resulting in 15 yds for every little grab.

ezmac31
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
fines/personal fouls for tackling someone while leading with your head. this is how you are taught to tackle starting in peewee football.

Messiahtype
09-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Whatever rule it was that made Edell Shepherd's TD catch incomplete.

PotKettleBlack
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Overtime scoring. College overtime > NFL's. Both teams should get a shot at scoring.
I agree with you. It's pretty much deciding a game by the flip of a coin at the moment.

SweetTouch

College overtime is better than the NFL's model for sure, but I'm not sure the NFL using CFB's overtime structure is the best move for the league. Though pretty much any change to the current setup for NFL OT would be an improvement.

DAVEZILLA

I actually like this idea...I hate the fact the overtime games are usually determined by a coin flip...

edit: PotKettleBlack I didn't copy your post...we posted at the same time...jus sayin'...lol

NewYorkGiants
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM

add yours

I thought they were changing this already

cmartini
09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
make pass interference a 10-15yd penalty instead of spot of the foul. Too much yardage can be given on a non-reviewable discretionary call

GetBigyo
09-02-2009, 11:08 AM
make pass interference a 10-15yd penalty instead of spot of the foul. Too much yardage can be given on a non-reviewable discretionary call

This.

You cant assume the WR would have even caught the pass.

bustermac
09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Lose any special rules protecting QBs. I miss seeing them get crushed.

It happens still, but not as much as it should. Lose the Brady rules.

UlXuha6mjfQ

KingCanuck
09-02-2009, 11:15 AM
This.

You cant assume the WR would have even caught the pass.

That has so many flaws. Like the fact that DBs will start PIing WRs on purpose when they know they are beat, so they dont give up the big play.

GetBigyo
09-02-2009, 11:16 AM
That has so many flaws. Like the fact that DBs will start PIing WRs on purpose when they know they are beat, so they dont give up the big play.

True. good point

cmartini
09-02-2009, 11:25 AM

yeah i thought of that too,

dont they have the 15yd cap in college and high school though?

bustermac
09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
yeah i thought of that too,

dont they have the 15yd cap in college and high school though?

Yes.

I like that rule as-is for the NFL.

We need to eliminate the petty contact penalties that are making football less of a physical, contact sport.

If they want to protect certain players, use padding technology or new plays, not rules that handcuff their opponents.

sabonis224
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM

i would agree to this but for the playoffs. i think it is ok for the reg. season.

papi93
09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
i would agree to this but for the playoffs. i think it is ok for the reg. season.

There is never too much football to watch.

ezmac31
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
oh yeah bring back the TO, Ochocinco, Steve Smith, etc celebrations. Not a fan of the No Fun LeAGUE...rule isnt even consistent anyway santonio holmes shouldve gotten flagged in the superbowl for doing the lebron thing

sabonis224
09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
There is never too much football to watch.

yeah, but i remember hearing that they would never use the college football overtime style because they want to avoid extra injuries. but i mean in the playoffs, it really is bs that you might not even get a shot at the ball.

thegenerel
09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
let players hit. clean hits shouldnt be made illegal because someone might get hurt.

its football, anyone can get hurt on any play.

but i think if you win your division, you earn the right to at least one home playoff game.

papi93
09-02-2009, 12:11 PM
yeah, but i remember hearing that they would never use the college football overtime style because they want to avoid extra injuries. but i mean in the playoffs, it really is bs that you might not even get a shot at the ball.

So non-paid NCAA football players can play this overtime format and the NFL players cannot? Something seems wrong there.

fromoe
09-02-2009, 12:46 PM

yes, but don't include the overtime stats like they do in college. qb's with 7 or 8 td's in a game even though 3 were in ot.

quietstormx1
09-02-2009, 01:06 PM
College overtime is better than the NFL's model for sure, but I'm not sure the NFL using CFB's overtime structure is the best move for the league. Though pretty much any change to the current setup for NFL OT would be an improvement.

i concur

percussion8903
09-02-2009, 01:08 PM
imo in overtime, field goals, safeties, and touchdowns should only be awarded 1 point unless sudden death gets turned off.

ESPforMe
09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh yeah, one rule I dislike is the rule on socks. Yeah, socks. Why do they have to wear long socks and why do they have to be two colored and have a certain amount of the white or color?

anonymous123
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM
They need to ease up on people getting called for taunting and touchdown celebrations and ****. They're turning it more and more into the No Fun League everyday.

jacketfan
09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
but i think if you win your division, you earn the right to at least one home playoff game.

so if you win the division with 8 wins, you earned the right to host a 12 win team? doesnt make sense. The 12 win team played better all year, just had a really good team in his division.

anonymous123
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
so if you win the division with 8 wins, you earned the right to host a 12 win team? doesnt make sense. The 12 win team played better all year, just had a really good team in his division.

then they should have no problem whooping ass

21Classic
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Game continues until theres a winner, someone tell Donovan ties exist in th NFL

The cowboys should have to move that ****in megatron. that bull**** is just unforgiveably retarded on whoever put that thing up. thats like putting speed bumps on a soccer field.

get rid of the ineligible reciever (lineman downfield) rule. they should be allowed to set up their blocks as soon as the balls snapped

allow TD celebrations of any kind

GET RID OF THE ****ING BLACKOUT RULE. THAT IS THE MOST BLATANT AND GREEDY PHAGGOT GOODELL **** FACE BULL**** EVA

N.W.A
09-02-2009, 01:20 PM
GET RID OF THE ****ING BLACKOUT RULE. THAT IS THE MOST BLATANT AND GREEDY PHAGGOT GOODELL **** FACE BULL**** EVA

lol @ blaming goodell. The blackout rule has been around since the 70s I believe.

jacketfan
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
then they should have no problem whooping ass

home teams win 70% of the time since the nfl changed it to this way. so, its a pretty significant advantage

anonymous123
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
home teams win 70% of the time since the nfl changed it to this way. so, its a pretty significant advantage

A team that legitimately goes 12-4 should have NO problem beating a team that as you say only got in the playoffs because they're in a god awful division and snaked by with an 8-8 record. **** the home-field advantage. Yeah, it's important but it's not everything. Ravens manhandled the Dolphins in Miami and they both had 11-5 records. Realistically, Miami only got in because of the Pats injuries and Ravens had the Steelers in their division. Still though, the better team one.

jacketfan
09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
A team that legitimately goes 12-4 should have NO problem beating a team that as you say only got in the playoffs because they're in a god awful division and snaked by with an 8-8 record. **** the home-field advantage. Yeah, it's important but it's not everything. Ravens manhandled the Dolphins in Miami and they both had 11-5 records. Realistically, Miami only got in because of the Pats injuries and Ravens had the Steelers in their division. Still though, the better team one.

statistically, you are really wrong. so it doesnt matter what you think should happen.

anonymous123
09-02-2009, 01:33 PM
statistically, you are really wrong. so it doesnt matter what you think should happen.

whatever

Fact is, that's the rule and I'm fine with it. Get over it. If you really care that much, right a letter to the NFL and see what they think.

21Classic
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
lol @ blaming goodell. The blackout rule has been around since the 70s I believe.

He has the power to change it

but chooses not to

bbacn123
09-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Id like to see it but to start them further back, like on your own 40 maybe.

BrawnySwoleman
09-02-2009, 02:15 PM

They need to ease up on people getting called for taunting and touchdown celebrations and ****. They're turning it more and more into the No Fun League everyday.

These. Also, temporarily lift the blackout policy, people can't afford that sh!t these days.

bbacn123
09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
whatever

Fact is, that's the rule and I'm fine with it. Get over it. If you really care that much, right a letter to the NFL and see what they think.

Right A Letter

You ready for the Braves to officially bury the Marlins tonight?

anonymous123
09-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Right A Letter

yup

JMath
09-02-2009, 03:26 PM

add yours

I think that being a division winner should not even automatically put you in the playoffs at all. Records should dictate playoffs.

whatever

The point of this thread is simply to say what rules you would like to see changed. To say "it's a rule get over it" kind of would take away from the entire point of the thread wouldn't it? This is just people's opinions...

Other rules I think should be changed though are the TD celebration rule, making more plays reviewable, and having Devin Hester change his jersey number to one of the numbers designated for WR's. There are probably a few more I just can't think of them.

Greg1983
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Agreed on not penalizing celebrations and being able to review more stuff. NFL overtime is great though. Sudden death FTW. It puts the pressure on.

anonymous123
09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
The point of this thread is simply to say what rules you would like to see changed. To say "it's a rule get over it" kind of would take away from the entire point of the thread wouldn't it? This is just people's opinions...

Yeah, I know. He's fine and perfectly entitled to have his opinion. All I'm saying is my view on his view. Or is that against the rules of the thread? He can feel free to criticize my proposed rule changes if he wants. Chill out dude, this is a friendly debate. I strongly doubt he's taking me too seriously.

JMath
09-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I know. He's fine and perfectly entitled to have his opinion. All I'm saying is my view on his view. Or is that against the rules of the thread? He can feel free to criticize my proposed rule changes if he wants. Chill out dude, this is a friendly debate. I strongly doubt he's taking me too seriously.

I'm chill... I just didn't see the point in saying "its a rule, get over it". If that is your view on his view, it seems redundant to say it... we already know that it is a rule or it would not be posted under the "RULES that need to be changed" thread. I wasn't trying to sound like a dick, so if thats the way it seems, sorry brah.

anonymous123
09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
yeah i guess you're right

PotKettleBlack
09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Right A Letter

''Right'' it?

Oh, and to the bloke that said he wasn't copying my post, it's fine, I didn't think you did anyway, lulz.

bigcc
09-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Agreed on changing overtime to college format.

I also believe that teams should be allowed to challenge an unlimited number of plays, up until 2 incorrect challenges. If a team has 3 correct challenges, they should be able to challenge plays if they are being called wrong.

Also, the booth should be able to initiate challenges at all times during the game if they see something iffy, and teams should be able to challenge within 2 minutes of the half/game.