PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy's UNCOMMON

MetaFitX23
08-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I recently was given Tony Dungy's latest book "Uncommon" as a gift and have been pleasantly surprised. Easily one of the greatest books I have ever read, and I'm only a third of the way through.

Dungy's main theme is this: What does it mean to be a man? In my opinion, this really resonates with a question that a lot of young men have been asking themselves as more and more young men grow up in fatherless relationships, or abusive relationships, or growing up in horrible environments and constantly being pulled in differently directions.

As I read through the book I'll copy and paste some portions which I think resonate the most.

We get pulled in every direction by people and society. Everyone has a different expectation for us as men: be a provider, be tough, be sensitive, don't cry, stay home, go to work, change diapers, go hang out with the boys, don't go hang out with the boys, and so on.

Young men today are told to demand respect, be a "gang-sta," take no prisoners whether on the streets or in bed, look out for number one. Some have said that being a man today means to be sensitive and caring, to be nurturing, quick to comfort, open to talk. Still others have said that we've been created to explore caves and beat our chests in some sort of masculine cosmic rhythm.

But what does it really mean to be a man?

I say this: being a man is more than leaving our wives husbandless, our children fatherless, our employers passionless, our families hopeless.

You can be more. You were created to be more - and better. The messages of the world are a cop-out: the messages of sexual conquest, of financial achievement, of victory in general. Not only are these messages not fair, but they also fall so far short of what you can do - and more importantly, who you can be.

Next up....the decision to draft Peyton Manning.

MetaFitX23
08-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Drafting Peyton Manning.

In 1998, the Indianapolis Colts were confronted with a dilemma. Finishing the prior season with three wins against thirteen defeats, they held the first pick of the NFL draft that April. Their selection would affect the direction of the team for years to come, positively or negatively. At the time, I was head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, so I was worried about my team in Tampa, and didn't realize what a huge impact the Colts' selection would have on my life.

Bill Polian, president of the Colts, was faced with a difficult choice between two great talents: Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. Both were big players with strong arms: Leaf had set numerous records at Washington State University, and Manning had done the same at the University of Tennessee. In hindsight, it seems like an obvious choice, but at the time there was plenty of debate. Media analysts and scouts around the league were evenly split, but Bill decided to select Manning. There was no question Peyton had the physical skills to be a great player, but what tipped the scales in Bill's mind were Peyton's work ethic, his love for the game, his approach toward football as a job, and his quiet private life. Ultimately, when faced with the choice that would define the course of the franchise, the Colts based that decision on character, and that choice has resulted in great success for us and for our future Hall of Fame quarterback.

Bulldog0520
08-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Was looking for a book to read, this thread convinced me to go pick the book up later today.

CerealKiller
08-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Sounds like a good read. Maybe I'll pick it up. Thanks.

iamgenus
08-30-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry but I just can't find a way to like Dungy.

I think he's a really nice guy and was a very good coach but he always struck me as a guy who had a holier than thou attitude and tried to preach way too much.

His comments when it came to race relations always struck me as out there. I remember when TO did the sketch on MNF with the chick from Housewives. Dungy was talking about it like TO killed somebody on national TV just because TO was black and the girl was white.

Plus I thought him throwing in religion into the superbowl speech was very bizarre and I'm not talking about your usual "thank god, this is all because of god" stuff. i don't recall the exact words but he made it more about being Cristian than anything else.

The book may be a good read but I think Dungy isn't as nice as he comes off. My opinion of course and I don't expect others to share it.

cor030
08-30-2009, 06:01 PM
been looking for a good book to read, will definitely pick this up.