PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan laws

Larfie
08-24-2009, 03:30 AM
Sorry if this is a repost.

Leaders in Afghanistan have just passed a law making it legal for a man to starve his wife if she refuses to have sex with him. From what I can remember didn't they also ban wives from leaving the home without permission and more controversially legalise rape within marriage? Although of course all they really did was redefine the term 'rape'.

What do Muslims thinks of this?

I'm not flame-baiting here, just rather ignorant of Muslim doctrine, I'm curious as to whether this is common practice in Muslim countries and if so do you feel it's oppressive to women?

photomasterx
08-24-2009, 06:41 AM
That law is actually illegal according to islamic law.

Traditional islamic law :

A husband is legally responsible to feed, clothe and shelter his wife if he has a marriage contract with her.

The only time he is no longer responsible is after divorce(he may owe her money for seperation depending on reason).

Under no circumstances can a husband just stop providing those servives while the contract is still active.

New Afgan law :

Now on to this new law. It appears what they are saying is that if the wife does not carry out duties of a wife that the husband is no longer legally bound to provide her with services.

Basically if the wife doesn't have sex then the husband shouldn't feed her.

Conclusion :

law is unacceptable. Iran should kick in and tell them this is not acceptable under any Shia based or even Sunni basded Sharia law. If the wife is not providing sex then the husband should get a divorce. In the mean time he is still to provide her with food and shelter unless she leaves on her own in which case he may still need to provide if they have children together.

The new Afghan law is actually illegal under islamic law and I cannot belive this was even allowed to pass. But then again some crazy ass **** has passed in Afghanistan that would make even the most hardcore Saudi Whabbi cringe.

AA43560
08-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Asymetrical equality.

Women have to satisfy their husband sexually, just like how women are Islamically allowed to demand a wage for doing housework. They are equal, in different ways.

But no, a man cannot STARVE his wife. Then again, Afghanistan is not exactly the prototype of Shariah.

EOY
08-24-2009, 07:02 AM
According to Islamic law, a husband is legally obligated to provide for his wife and the rest of his family, so starving one's wife kinda goes against that. Spouses are legally obligated to fulfill each other's sexual needs; however, this is a consensual personal obligation not to be enforced by one spouse over the other. Until I see the actual wording of this "law" itself, I'm afraid I'm going to have to call BS, because It's hard to believe that even Afghanistan would produce such "laws".

Halfway
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
It's nice to see Hope and Change finally coming for the Afghans

Karzai used to be Bu$h's lapdog puppet thug... but that was an unfair, islamophobic media caricature.

The real Karzai a misunderstood man in a tough position, who needs more US support. We'll just pretend these laws don't exist and support the commander in Chief's noble vision of wasting billions more on this sh-thole country.

jimbob007
08-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Of course it is not common practice, normally the wife must be beaten senseless.