PDA

View Full Version : Russia/Iran ties growing

George Carlinian
08-22-2009, 06:13 PM
http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/insidestory/2009/08/200983124954124236.html

There's a full video in that link.

The worst part of this...both countries wanted closer ties with the US after 9/11 but instead, the regime of that time (bush/cheney ggovt) further agitated existing hostilities towards both and we'll have years to undo the damage that still exists today.

text below:

Programmes INSIDE STORY
Growing ties: Iran and Russia

Iran and Russia are getting closer as they carry out joint naval exercises in the Caspian sea.

Both countries say the maneuvers are aimed at improving security in the Caspian sea region.

Ownership of some of the Caspian sea is still under dispute after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Iran is one of the countries that has yet to settle how much of the Caspian sea is their territory - but the country maintains that this activity is part of international military obligations and does not have ulterior motives.

Russia and Iran have enjoyed close ties for a number of years. Russia has been helping to build Iran's controversial nuclear reactor in Bushehr and has agreed to supply it with fuel when it is operational.

Iran is one of Russia's biggest military customers and has plans to update its airforce with Russian MIG fighter jets.

How strong are these growing ties and, with Tehran coming under increasing pressure over its nuclear activities, just how does Washington view this budding alliance?

Inside Story presenter Hashem Ahelbarra is joined by Vyacheslav Matuzov, a former Russian diplomat and Middle East expert, Mehrdad Khonsari, a former Iranian diplomat and a senior research consultant at the centre for Arab and Iranian studies, and Richard Weitz, a senior fellow and director of the centre for political-military analysis at the Hudson Institute.

This episode of Inside Story airs on Monday, August 3, 2009 at 1730GMT and 2230GMT, with repeats on Tuesday at 0430GMT and 1030GMT.

ViceStan
08-22-2009, 06:19 PM
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1108558.html

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev promised President Shimon Peres Tuesday that Russia will review a decision to sell Iran S-300 anti-aircraft missiles.

Peres told his Russian counterpart that a Iranian nuclear weapon would be a "flying death camp." The two leaders met in the Russian president's summer residence in the Black Sea town of Sochi.

Peres had also asked Medvedev to assist in the release of kidnapped soldier Gilad Shalit by pressuring Syrian and Hamas leadership in Damascus. Medvedev responded by offering resources, including engaging its intelligence and diplomatic corps in efforts to secure Shalit's release.

Peres brought up an agreement which had been signed between Russia and Iran on the sale of several S-300 anti-aircraft systems. Peres asked that the Russian government not carry out the deal, saying that it would violate the "delicate balance" of power in the entire region.

He added that Israel has "clear proof that Russian weapons reach the hands of terrorist organizations, especially Hamas and Hezbollah, which receive them from Iran and Syria."

Medvedev noted that Russia opposed selling weapons that violate the "delicate Middle East balance", and that it had no intention of changing this policy.

Peres argued to the Russian president that everything must be done to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.

"A large part of my family was killed by the Nazis in Belarus," Peres said. "I can't just sit there when I hear the statements of an Iranian president calling to eliminate the State of Israel. As far as I'm concerned, a nuclear bomb in Iranian hands means only one thing - it's a flying death camp."

"I'm not saying he'll do it tomorrow morning, but there's no certainty such an attack won't happen," Peres said. "The fact that Iran invests billions of dollars in developing long-range ballistic missiles while developing their nuclear program is a very clear indication of its intentions."

Russia opposes nuclear Iran

The Russian president said that Russia opposed nuclear weapon capability in the hands of Tehran.

"We are all concerned by this situation, and we have no doubt that if Iran gets nuclear weapons it'll lead to a nuclear arms race in the Middle East, which is a very bad scenario," he said.

Medvedev also referred to negotiations between Israel and Syria, saying he believed Syrian president Bashar Assad was ready for direct peace talks with Israel. Peres responded that Israel is ready to engage in direct talks with Syria without preconditions, so long as Damascus stops supporting Palestinian terrorist organizations and Hezbollah.

Peres also slammed the denial of the Holocaust by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as a disgrace for the entire Iranian people.

Peres said that although Ahmadinejad had on several occasions denied the mass murder of European Jews by the Nazis, the Israeli leader had hopes for peace between Israel and Iran.

George Carlinian
08-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm sure Russia opposes a nuclear-armed Iran...but not the nuclear power plant. I am the same, but I think ALL NATIONS should do the same. I think that all nuclear power plants should be monitored by international forces, maybe even manned by international forces, to prevent ALL nuclear materials from being used to create new nuclear weapons.