PDA

View Full Version : Head of Greenpeace admits to lieing about melting ice

Stizzel
08-20-2009, 09:30 PM
NC7bE9jopXE

I have to say, after the IPCC making up fake global temperature statistics last year, I'm still shocked at this.

Shocked I tell you!

Bluerain
08-20-2009, 09:39 PM
NC7bE9jopXE

I have to say, after the IPCC making up fake global temperature statistics last year, I'm still shocked at this.

Shocked I tell you!

I'm not shocked. Did you really believe him when he said it would melt so soon?

These people go too far and end up only doing more harm to their cause than good.

You cry wolf one too maany times and guess what ? It's your own fault when no one comes when you really need them.

Stizzel
08-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not shocked. Did you really believe him when he said it would melt so soon?

These people go too far and end up only doing more harm to their cause than good.

You cry wolf one too maany times and guess what ? It's your own fault when no one comes when you really need them.

No way man. King Obama says we have to bankrupt ourselves to save the planet. We're on the brink! OMG!

Vitalshok44
08-20-2009, 11:57 PM
i'm not shocked. Did you really believe him when he said it would melt so soon?

x2!

squanto
08-21-2009, 04:53 AM
NC7bE9jopXE

Shocked I tell you!

Thank you for this. Reps.

INSANEREACH
08-21-2009, 04:54 AM
Not surprised to be honest.

wide lats
08-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Quite shocked, there is pictures from the sattelites showing there is definate melting i did not know he was exagerating the temperatures though.

OatsandSteak
08-21-2009, 03:49 PM
When people say "we need to emotionalize issues", people gotta think there is something fishy going on.

I'm not on either side of this. Climate Change could be happening, I have no idea, considering the glamorization and "emotionalized issues" related to climate change, it's hard to get a straight answer.

Stizzel
08-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Quite shocked, there is pictures from the sattelites showing there is definate melting i did not know he was exagerating the temperatures though.

I know, happens every summer. How terrifying.

Also, polar bears can't swim.

wide lats
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
When people say "we need to emotionalize issues", people gotta think there is something fishy going on.

I'm not on either side of this. Climate Change could be happening, I have no idea, considering the glamorization and "emotionalized issues" related to climate change, it's hard to get a straight answer.

There is lies on both sides of the fence, at a guess i would say it is happening, in recent years the records for weather phenomena have been broken time and again, i dont know of a week where i haven't heard "which is the coldest day since records began" on the weather forecasts.

Queequeg
08-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I have to say, after the IPCC making up fake global temperature statistics last year

Do you have a link to this? I was unaware

Stizzel
08-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Do you have a link to this? I was unaware

I've made threads about it before. They took average temperatures from July and used them for November, or used temperatures from hot climates and attributed them to places that are generally cold, to come up with an increase in average global temperature.

For the last two years, global averages have been dropping, you see, and we can't have that while Gore and Obama are still trying to get their carbon exchange up and running.

Queequeg
08-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I've made threads about it before. They took average temperatures from July and used them for November, or used temperatures from hot climates and attributed them to places that are generally cold, to come up with an increase in average global temperature.

For the last two years, global averages have been dropping, you see, and we can't have that while Gore and Obama are still trying to get their carbon exchange up and running.

I will search, thanks

riptor
08-26-2009, 10:46 AM
If you actually take the time to look up the actual Greenpeace story, it doesn't say that the Greenland ice is going to be gone by 2030. In fact it says:

Bad news is coming from other sources as well. A recent NASA study has shown that the ice cap is not only getting smaller, it?s getting thinner and younger. Sea ice has dramatically thinned between 2004 and 2008. Old ice (over 2 years old) takes longer to melt, and is also much harder to replace. As permanent ice decreases, we are looking at ice-free summers in the Arctic as early as 2030.

They say you can't be too thin or too young, but this unfortunately doesn't apply to the Arctic sea ice. Polar bears are the first to suffer from it, but many other species could be affected as well.
Link (http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/urgent-action-needed-as-arctic)

The BBC journalist only quoted one sentence, the last one in the first paragraph which reads "As permanent ice decreases, we are looking at ice-free summers in the Arctic as early as 2030." He neglected to mention that this quote was about the arctic sea ice, not the Greenland ice. Whatever one thinks of Greenpeace, this is the dishonest tactic of quotemining, which is so often employed by pseudoscience.

I also find it odd that the BBC would accuse Greenpeace of being alarmist (which they probably are being a political organization and not a scientific one) but then have articles on their website saying that the arctic could be ice free by 2013 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7139797.stm).

NASA press release (http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2009/jul/HQ_09-155_Thin_Sea_Ice.html)