PDA

View Full Version : How can i lean bulk.

burbank2broward
08-20-2009, 09:38 AM
heya, since jan 09 i have gained 20 lbs going from 150-175lbs and now im stuck at this plateau that i cant go over. i want to bulk but i don't want to gain massive amount of fat and weight. is there any way i can diet or drink a supplement that would help me "lean" bulk? i like the fact that i am lean and not "big" i just want to gain 10 more lbs and be at 185 but lean and ripped.

thanks for any advice.

phal
08-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Well if you're at a plateau right now, why not add 100 - 200 calories more until weight starts to go up again? It will be a slow enough rate the fat gain will be very minimal.

rome-mulus
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
heya, since jan 09 i have gained 20 lbs going from 150-175lbs and now im stuck at this plateau that i cant go over. i want to bulk but i don't want to gain massive amount of fat and weight. is there any way i can diet or drink a supplement that would help me "lean" bulk? i like the fact that i am lean and not "big" i just want to gain 10 more lbs and be at 185 but lean and ripped.

thanks for any advice.

Wow, that's awesome burbank, 20 lbs bulking since Jan '09...how much of these 20 lbs are fat and muscle? if ya don't mind me asking...I'm bulking myself but I achieved 1/2 fat, 1/2 muscle :/

I'm in for the advice you get.

Good luck!

burbank2broward
08-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow, that's awesome burbank, 20 lbs bulking since Jan '09...how much of these 20 lbs are fat and muscle? if ya don't mind me asking...I'm bulking myself but I achieved 1/2 fat, 1/2 muscle :/

I'm in for the advice you get.

Good luck!

here are the b4 and after pics

sbauck
08-20-2009, 12:40 PM
nice progress pics keep it up man

Vietgoboi
08-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Well if you're at a plateau right now, why not add 100 - 200 calories more until weight starts to go up again? It will be a slow enough rate the fat gain will be very minimal.
Same opinion ^

Try it for 2-3 weeks. Taking your time is always best.

trevnichols22
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I agree with phal. Increase the cal intake by 200-300 each day. For lean muscle gains eat more protein with complex carbs.. Esp Tuna chicken breast egg whites but the main thing is just to eat more.. You will see the weight. Also, if you are doing a lot of cardio in your training try and cut a little out til you are at the weight you want to be.. Hope that helps.

rome-mulus
08-20-2009, 12:55 PM
here are the b4 and after pics

Burbank, awesome progress...you hardly gained any fat!! You gotta share your nutrition program, how did ya do it!? Macros? how many cals? how many pounds a week did ya gain?? Did you do cardio during your lean bulk??

I'm trying my best with the knowledge I've acquired on my own and I'm at a rate of 1/2 fat, 1/2 muscle...i gotta tweak my nutrition program somewhere.

TitanFB11
08-20-2009, 12:57 PM
SHOW ME YOUR DAMN NUTRITION PLAN NAO!!!!

....please

you pretty much gained 0fat on tht bulk SHOW US HOW

burbank2broward
08-20-2009, 02:09 PM

....please

i ate and took protien powders thats all lol and i did lots of cardio. ex:i live in a condo and there's 17 floors and i ran up and the down the stairs like 3-4 times 2-3 times a week. and also jan 09 is when i also had swim fitness as a free elective at my university so i did that as well. 9 am swam tons of laps and then came home later in the day and hit the gym. but now im trying to get a really on time based diet to try and lean bulk. i dunno what im doing wrong. every time i hit the gym, i hit it hard, and i eat lots of protien. should i incorp more carbs and when and how should i take them. i usually stay away from carbs at night and eat them in the morning and stay with vegs at night,

rome-mulus
08-20-2009, 02:17 PM
i ate and took protien powders thats all lol and i did lots of cardio. ex:i live in a condo and there's 17 floors and i ran up and the down the stairs like 3-4 times 2-3 times a week. and also jan 09 is when i also had swim fitness as a free elective at my university so i did that as well. 9 am swam tons of laps and then came home later in the day and hit the gym. but now im trying to get a really on time based diet to try and lean bulk. i dunno what im doing wrong. every time i hit the gym, i hit it hard, and i eat lots of protien. should i incorp more carbs and when and how should i take them. i usually stay away from carbs at night and eat them in the morning and stay with vegs at night,

ok I see...lots of cardio and no carbs at night...but darn you still put on mass...how many cals per day??

Foe1605
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Dude, awesome work. I'm just getting started on a bulk and this just got me so pumped!

burbank2broward
08-20-2009, 04:29 PM
ok I see...lots of cardio and no carbs at night...but darn you still put on mass...how many cals per day??

around 3k or so. give or take

burbank2broward
08-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Dude, awesome work. I'm just getting started on a bulk and this just got me so pumped!

lol that how i was b4 pumped but not i hit this plateau and i cant get over it =/

Mafioso76
08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Brah...I'm dammm impressed...you gained mass with hardly any to no fat at all....and they say it can't be done......you've given me new hope!!! Looks like you had a perfect balance in your calorie intake.

Mafioso76
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Brah...what supplements were you taking during this time?

number1sixerfan
08-20-2009, 05:54 PM

....please

x2 lol

burbank2broward
08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Brah...what supplements were you taking during this time?

just protien. umm i tried ON whey 1st , then muscle milk, umm then i tried nitro tech hardcore and now im currently on syntha-6 my 2nd bottle.

burbank2broward
08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
but back to my original question.... how can i get over this plateau??? just have 200-300 more cals over for the day? =(

TitanFB11
08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
try switchin up ur workout routine like what lifts you do and in what order you do them.

and try mabye try a mass gainer pwo instead of just whey (you can either make a homemade gainer or buya gainer powder but make sure its under 10g sugar and not loaded with carbs like anything 100g or more would be pushin it specially if you tryin to stay lean)

you can also try uping your total cal intake a bit....

theres som people that say have a day were you eat a ****ton of carbs and food not even worry about diet then go rite back to your workout/diet plan.

this spikes test levels and hormones and your body and ultimatly that could lead to new gains

this might sound dumb but your body will adapt to the amount of cals you intake overtime for a long period even if its over your maintenance you body will adjust to the cals so when you go and eat alot above normal it freaks your metabolisim out and keeps your body guessin which like i said leads to breaking plateaus

ogeorgeko
08-20-2009, 09:48 PM
but back to my original question.... how can i get over this plateau??? just have 200-300 more cals over for the day? =(
I have found the best way to get over a plateau to be to increase your calorie intake by a bit and more importantly to switch up your workout regiment. throw in stuff that you have never done before and vary the weights more importantly, this has worked out great for me.

I recommend taking a week off from working out and then starting your different regiment.

burbank2broward
08-20-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

is this true?

enkju
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
You've made some stellar gains in a mere 8 months already, I wouldn't be surprised if the next ten pounds came a bit slower. You've also gained weight, so if you are eating the same levels now that you were when you began your gain, you could likely be at maintenance. If thats the case, increasing your calories is the solution :)

sl4vik
08-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Come on man calories in vs calories out.

Thats all there is to it.

Increase your carb intake.

You eat 3k per day total? Eat 3,500 on 3 of your hardest days e.g. legs, back, chest. That is an extra 1,500 a week should boost you over your plateau.

rome-mulus
08-20-2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

is this true?

I'll like to know too. Note that the author thinks that in Situation B where gaining half muscle and half fat is good scenario. Also assumes that there will be no muscle loss during cutting. Not sure if that is possible. I have no experience with cutting...not sure when I'll do my first cut.

number1sixerfan
08-21-2009, 04:53 AM

is this true?

It sounds spot on for the average person(from my understanding). I've researched a lot on clean bulking lately as I am starting next week, and pretty much the same thing is preached on these boards. The only thing people can't seem to agree on is how much pure muscle can be added per week. I've seen an article stating .25 to .50lbs per week, to reading here 1+lbs per week.

If you can't gain more than .5-1lbs MUSCLE per week, why add enough calories to gain 2-3lbs of WEIGHT per week? The rest either has to be glycogen storage, water weight, or fat.

Obviously though, if you are truly at a plateau and not gaining any muscle per week, it makes sense to gradually increase the calories. Are you still doing all of that cardio? You could decrease it gradually(but still include it) instead of increasing your calories.

burbank2broward
08-21-2009, 09:40 AM
It sounds spot on for the average person(from my understanding). I've researched a lot on clean bulking lately as I am starting next week, and pretty much the same thing is preached on these boards. The only thing people can't seem to agree on is how much pure muscle can be added per week. I've seen an article stating .25 to .50lbs per week, to reading here 1+lbs per week.

If you can't gain more than .5-1lbs MUSCLE per week, why add enough calories to gain 2-3lbs of WEIGHT per week? The rest either has to be glycogen storage, water weight, or fat.

Obviously though, if you are truly at a plateau and not gaining any muscle per week, it makes sense to gradually increase the calories. Are you still doing all of that cardio? You could decrease it gradually(but still include it) instead of increasing your calories.

im only doing the stairs 2 times a week and just playing basketball for my cardio. so yea ive stopped it a bit.

sl4vik
08-21-2009, 02:00 PM

You guys realize that you can only gain 5-10lbs of muscle a year right? Naturally of course.

burbank2broward
08-21-2009, 02:12 PM
You guys realize that you can only gain 5-10lbs of muscle a year right? Naturally of course.

yep. .5lbs a week.

rome-mulus
08-21-2009, 02:13 PM

well if someone accepts the 0.5 lb per week, doing all the nutrition correctly, workouts correctly, and no plateau...theoretically...doing the math...about 26 lbs :P

Of course, things could happen thru the year, getting sick, plateauing, cutting too much... so possibly half, 13 lbs.

lionsrugby12
08-21-2009, 02:41 PM

That's absolutely not true, there are so many factors that go into that equation...I'm sure that's an average not an absolute.

For example, "noob gains" many people when they first start lifting maintain or decrease their bodyfat while gaining muscle, I know that I did. My bodyfat dropped from 15-12% but I gained about 20 lbs of weight during my first year of lifting.

Even last year (my 5th year of lifting) I gained approximately 40 lbs in 6 months but my bodyfat only went from 14-17%. It's really all individually based.

sl4vik
08-21-2009, 08:12 PM
That's absolutely not true, there are so many factors that go into that equation...I'm sure that's an average not an absolute.

For example, "noob gains" many people when they first start lifting maintain or decrease their bodyfat while gaining muscle, I know that I did. My bodyfat dropped from 15-12% but I gained about 20 lbs of weight during my first year of lifting.

Even last year (my 5th year of lifting) I gained approximately 40 lbs in 6 months but my bodyfat only went from 14-17%. It's really all individually based.

Did I say weight? I said MUSCLE. And no you didn't gain 40lbs of MUSCLE in 6 months. And the average a person can NATURALLY gain muscle is 5-7lbs a year. 10lbs if you are genetically gifted. If you think you gained 60lbs of PURE muscle so far, I can't wait to see you at Olympia 2011.

What you gained was because you are 19 and still growing. Your bones got larger, you added fat, your organs are bigger, you added muscle, and of course you added water etc..

number1sixerfan
08-23-2009, 04:23 PM

You can gain more than that naturally.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm

.5lbs x 52 weeks = more than 10lbs a year.

I've been researching this a lot lately because no one can seem to agree what is physically possible, naturally. But my original point was in line with your thinking, and that is why I asked the question:

Why consume 4000 calories a day if you can only gain .5lbs of muscle per week?

rome-mulus
08-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Why consume 4000 calories a day if you can only gain .5lbs of muscle per week?

Number, who here is consuming 4000 cals a day?? Did I miss a post? :P

number1sixerfan
08-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Number, who here is consuming 4000 cals a day?? Did I miss a post? :P

lol, no one did. I was just speaking in general terms. Sorry, haha.