PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter just set the record for most hits by a SS in a career

KingCanuck
08-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Discuss

21Classic
08-17-2009, 12:11 AM
SS?

strong safety?

super sport?

gustapo?

bbacn123
08-17-2009, 04:47 AM
in b4 jkeith saying Jeter sucks

BobbyZeus
08-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Will that finally put him over Phil Rizzuto?

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 05:51 AM
in b4 jkeith saying Jeter sucks

I don't believe I've ever seriously said that Jeter sucked. Overrated yes, image overblown yes, right place at the right time yes, but never that he sucked.

Then again, I make a lot of posts.

IraHays
08-17-2009, 06:23 AM
A-Rod is probably a better fielding short stop. And we all know he's a better hitter.

just sayin.

BangBrahs
08-17-2009, 06:24 AM
A-Rod is probably a better fielding short stop. And we all know he's a better hitter.

just sayin.
I agree. Yanks should have traded away Jeter as soon as A-Rod joined the team.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Yankees sign him to like a 3 year extendion at $20M a year.

Jeter is over rated.

(in before sh*tstorm of yankee fans crying about someone speaking bad of their pride and joy......)

IraHays
08-17-2009, 06:31 AM
(in before sh*tstorm of yankee fans crying about someone speaking bad of their pride and joy......)

And Jiggy neg fest!

Esquire1982
08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
jeter is the poster boy for everything right in baseball. hard worker, team player. by the end of the year he will be the all time yankees hits leader. think about that. all the great players that have been yankees. all the great players who have played shortstop. he has more hits than all of them! i dont see how you guys can hate such a class act. but whatever, jeter doesnt care!
To quote Rainier Wolfcastle: Q: How can you sleep at night? A: On a pile of money with many beautiful ladies!
http://s3.amazonaws.com/static.onmylist.com/list_item_images/13028/derek_jeter_list_view.jpg

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 08:23 AM
IB Hanley beats it

JuicintheJuice
08-17-2009, 08:37 AM
This is difficult for me to say as a mets fan but how exactly is Jeter overated? Is it just because he is a bad fielder at this point in his career? I can understand that, but I'm not sure how you could say a shortstop who has won the silver slugger the last 3 years and will probably win it this year is overated.

As of right now, he has hit over .320 in 3 of the last 4 years. Has an OBP of of roughly .390 in 3 of the last 4 years. Is on pace to score 100 runs for the 3rd time in the last 4 years. He is also good for over 20 stolen bases per year with a solid stealing %. He's also one of the greatest baseball player leaders of all time.

So what's the deal?

GetBigyo
08-17-2009, 08:38 AM
This is difficult for me to say as a mets fan but how exactly is Jeter overated? Is it just because he is a bad fielder at this point in his career? I can understand that, but I'm not sure how you could say a shortstop who has won the silver slugger the last 3 years and will probably win it this year is overated.

As of right now, he has hit over .320 in 3 of the last 4 years. Has an OBP of of roughly .390 in 3 of the last 4 years. Is on pace to score 100 runs for the 3rd time in the last 4 years. He is also good for over 20 stolen bases per year with a solid stealing %. He's also one of the greatest baseball player leaders of all time.

So what's the deal?

This.

According to NDame since i am a Yankee fan...i cant back up my own teams players becasue i will be "crying" but its not like NDame ever "cries" about backing up his Red sox. :cool:

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 08:39 AM
So what's the deal?

What do we say in football, "product of the system."

Jeter's taken full advantage of where he's played. He's a "good" player. Playing where he has though, made him a "great" player.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 08:40 AM

So what's the deal?

Haters gonna hate bro.

Jeter is the man.

Daewoo_Lanos
08-17-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't believe I've ever seriously said that Jeter sucked. Overrated yes, image overblown yes, right place at the right time yes, but never that he sucked.

Then again, I make a lot of posts.

jeter is an odd case.

he is definitely overrated, yet will likely retire with 3300+ hits.

could only happen in new york.

GatorsIn09
08-17-2009, 08:43 AM
jeter is the man. hed be overrated if he played in kansas city and received the same praise and coverage. but he plays in the big apple where every move is looked at with a microscope. what the hell else can the guy do hes got the rings-bitches-money and stays out of trouble.

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 08:44 AM
jeter is the man. hed be overrated if he played in kansas city and received the same praise and coverage. but he plays in the big apple where every move is looked at with a microscope. what the hell else can the guy do hes got the rings-bitches-money and stays out of trouble.

Actually, if he spent his entire career in Kansas City, he'd have half the stats he has now and wouldn't be starring in Gillette commercials.

Aran
08-17-2009, 08:44 AM
and in other news....mark ellis 2b for oakland just set the all time record for most home runs for people from south dakota. HOF here we come baby!

iamgenus
08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Best SS ever?

As a redsox fan i hate Jeter but respect him as a player but he's not the best ever.

ARod was actually a better safety when he was signed.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Actually, if he spent his entire career in Kansas City, he'd have half the stats he has now and wouldn't be starring in Gillette commercials.

Wasn't aware that playing in a different city made you a worse athlete.

Learn something new every day.

Aran
08-17-2009, 08:51 AM

playing on a good team vs. playing on a bad team?

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 08:54 AM

Well if I had commented about his ability or talent, you would have learned something.

However I commented on his statistics and subliminally his media exposure. Try again.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 08:55 AM

You don't think being on a crappy team would negatively effect your stats......?

Jeter is overrated defensively. He successfully won gold gloves as one of the worst defensive SSs in the game.

And Hanley won't pass him at SS, since Hanley's future is probably as a centerfielder.

JuicintheJuice
08-17-2009, 08:56 AM
What do we say in football, "product of the system."

Jeter's taken full advantage of where he's played. He's a "good" player. Playing where he has though, made him a "great" player.

There are two factors that I can imagine you are referring to now.

1. Yankee stadium has a short right porch that caters to left handed home run hitters immensely, therefore inflating their stats. Well, Jeter is not a home run hitter nor is he a left handed hitter. If you can hit an opposite field home run as a non power hitter then you deserve it.

2. The Yankees are perennial winners and thus have better hitters on their team year after year which provide "protection" for Jeter in the line up. As I said earlier, Jeter is no power hitter. In fact, he has hit in the leadoff spot and the 2nd spot for most of his career. A contact hitter like Jeter would not benefit as much from "protection" as a power hitter like Pujols would. Sure, it probably had an effect, but a .316 career hitter is a .316 career hitter. Jeter is looking to just get on any way he can. Driving in runs and hitting home runs are not his job.

The guy is CLUTCH! You don't hit
.316 with 2 out, RISP
.320 in tie games
.324 within 1 run
.321 within 2 runs
over your career by getting lucky.

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 08:56 AM
And Hanley won't pass him at SS, since Hanley's future is probably as a centerfielder.

You say that, but if the Yankees could keep Jeter at SS for so many years, the Marlins could do just the same with Hanley.

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 08:58 AM
There are two factors that I can imagine you are referring to now.

1. Yankee stadium has a short right porch that caters to left handed home run hitters immensely, therefore inflating their stats. Well, Jeter is not a home run hitter nor is he a left handed hitter. If you can hit an opposite field home run as a non power hitter then you deserve it.

2. The Yankees are perennial winners and thus have better hitters on their team year after year which provide "protection" for Jeter in the line up. As I said earlier, Jeter is no power hitter. In fact, he has hit in the leadoff spot and the 2nd spot for most of his career. A contact hitter like Jeter would not benefit as much from "protection" as a power hitter like Pujols would. Jeter is looking to just get on any way he can. Driving in runs and hitting home runs are not his job.

The guy is CLUTCH! You don't hit
.316 with 2 out, RISP
.320 in tie games
.324 within 1 run
.321 within 2 runs
over your career by getting lucky.

You should expand your imagination. ;)

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 08:58 AM
You don't think being on a crappy team would negatively effect your stats......?

Jeter is overrated defensively. He successfully won gold gloves as one of the worst defensive SSs in the game.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii127/PatrickBateman1/TI-1.gif

Obvious Red Sox fan is obvious.

Aran
08-17-2009, 08:59 AM

true! it pisses me off the politics that go into deciding who gets a gold glove. in 2006 mark ellis set the all time record for highest fielding percentage for an AL 2b. THE ALL TIME RECORD!! but did he win the gold glove? no, they gave it to someone else. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuu!

GetBigyo
08-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Ok well maybe you should of said in your previous post that hes "overrated defensively" instead of saying "hes overrated"

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 09:01 AM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii127/PatrickBateman1/TI-1.gif

Obvious Red Sox fan is obvious.

Not sure if serious. :confused:

JuicintheJuice
08-17-2009, 09:03 AM
You should expand your imagination. ;)

explain?

I guess one could argue that if Jeter put similar numbers up on the Royals then he would probably be not as well known. Last I checked being well known it not a prerequisite to being a great player.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:03 AM

The worst fielding SS in the league? Yea... right...

GetBigyo
08-17-2009, 09:04 AM

How are you judging that hes a bad fielding SS? ill admit as a Yankees fan hes certainly not in thetop ten fielding SS or even top 20 and has prob. been saved of alot of errors in his career by Tino and now Teixiera but to say hes "the worst" is outarageous. have you watched every Yankee game and analyzed him or are you just going by what a couple of Yankee hater columnists are saying?

Again hes certainly not the best but i want to know why hes the "worst"

Aran
08-17-2009, 09:04 AM
The worst fielding SS in the league? Yea... right...

http://njfrogman.blogspot.com/2009/04/yankee-derek-jeter-worst-fielder-and.html

Aran
08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
http://www.popsci.com/entertainment-gaming/article/2008-02/statheads-speak-derek-jeter-you-stink

The distinction is much more apparent at the shortstop position, where Alex Rodriguez was the best everyday shortstop in the league, saving 10.40 runs each season for the Texas Rangers. Derek Jeter, the New York Yankees shortstop who is often hailed for his defensive prowess and has won three Gold Gloves, ranks dead last in the majors, coughing up 13.81 runs per season.

GetBigyo

"Derek "theres no we in" Jeter are you kidding me?

edit: what kind of "studies" were these? so now baseball is a science?

JuicintheJuice
How are you judging that hes a bad fielding SS? ill admit as a Yankees fan hes certainly not in thetop ten fielding SS or even top 20 and has prob. been saved of alot of errors in his career by Tino and now Teixiera but to say hes "the worst" is outarageous. have you watched every Yankee game and analyzed him or are you just going by what a couple of Yankee hater columnists are saying?

Again hes certainly not the best but i want to know why hes the "worst"

http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbible/charts/leaders1-08.gif

last year he was one of the worst but from 2006-2008 he was the worst.

GetBigyo
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbible/charts/leaders1-08.gif

last year he was one of the worst but from 2006-2008 he was the worst.

I never said he was good, but he is certainly not the worst overall in his career. The past few years he prob was def. up there but to say hes the worst is stupid

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM

One of the most obviously biased reports I have read in a while. He starts taking personal shots at him and then expects the reader to believe he's not being biased? Lmfao.

Yea that's really legit.

Aran
08-17-2009, 09:10 AM
"Derek "theres no we in" Jeter are you kidding me?

edit: what kind of "studies" were these? so now baseball is a science?

that was the wrong link. check my post now.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:10 AM
on 06-08 Bill James ranked Jeter as a -68. Basically, that means that he didn't make 68 plays that an average SS would've made.

In that stretch, he was as bad of a SS as Manny was a LF.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
One of the most obviously biased reports I have read in a while. He starts taking personal shots at him and then expects the reader to believe he's not being biased? Lmfao.

Yea that's really legit.

What about the Bill James' Fielding Bible, which has been quoted a bunch now?

GetBigyo
08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
on 06-08 Bill James ranked Jeter as a -68. Basically, that means that he didn't make 68 plays that an average SS would've made.

Ok so in your first post you should of stated:

"Derek Jeter has been overrated defensively as a SS for the past few years" instead of saying hes "overrated" which prob meant as a hitter too.

JuicintheJuice
08-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I never said he was good, but he is certainly not the worst overall in his career. The past few years he prob was def. up there but to say hes the worst is stupid

I agree. I think he has severely declined in the recent years but to say he was the worst throughout his career is silly. He was definitely down there though.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:14 AM

He finished 10th, 15th, and 5th in fielding percentage in MLB those years respectively (he's 4th this year). Great? No. Worst SS in the league? Give me a break.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Ok so in your first post you should of stated:

"Derek Jeter has been overrated defensively as a SS for the past few years" instead of saying hes "overrated" which prob meant as a hitter too.

OK.

Derek Jeter is over rated

Happy?

GetBigyo
08-17-2009, 09:15 AM
OK.

Derek Jeter is over rated

Happy?

Biggest Red Sox homer ever.

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Hanley is easily the best SS in the game (no bias...well maybe a little). BRB being decent at the SS position but excelling on the offensive end. BRB having a .358 BA. Damn the place went nuts when that ump called Hanley for the strikeout when he so obviously didn't swing. We had the bases loaded, we had so much momentum at that point, and BAM the damn Blue took it all away with a crappy call. Kept our 10+ hitting streak going (now at 13 games with 10+ hits) but lost the second game.

lol we had 30 hits between the two games yesterday and still managed to lose the second one. Only the Marlins could do something like that. Oh well, we won the series with Colorado and are now only 2 behind the Rockies and a half game behind the Giants.

world series champs again. eveyr 6 years baby

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Well wait a second. Jeter did flip the ball to throw Jeremy Giambi out at the plate and he did sacrifice his body diving into the stands for an out. Are you still not convinced? Maybe Sportscenter needs to replay those another 10,000 times for you to wake up.

:p

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:18 AM
He finished 10th, 15th, and 5th in fielding percentage in MLB those years respectively (he's 4th this year). Great? No. Worst SS in the league? Give me a break.

Using fielding percentage to show how good or bad a fielder (especially a SS) is defensively is like looking at wins as the best way to show how good a pitcher is.

The Fielding Bible looks at every single defensive play in a year and judges it from that using computers and analysists who ONLY look at these defensive plays. It judges where the player is positioned, how hard the ball was hit, what type of hit it was, etc. Fielding percentage goes by a scorekeeper who just decides if a play is an error or not.

Fielding bible 10000X > scorkeeper

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
What about the Bill James' Fielding Bible, which has been quoted a bunch now?

How they judge defensive effectiveness in that publication is an interesting concept from what I've read, but I'm still not sold. I would have to read a bit more on it before I can actually take it to heart.

Efficiency ratings and similar statistic comparisons can be misleading at times.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Well wait a second. Jeter did flip the ball to throw Jeremy Giambi out at the plate and he did sacrifice his body diving into the stands for an out. Are you still not convinced? Maybe Sportscenter needs to replay those another 10,000 times for you to wake up.

:p

wait...Derek Jeter catches a ball in fair territory at the toilet vs the Sox, takes five steps, dives into the stands, comes out with a tiny cut and ESPN attempts to give him the Nobel Peace Prize?

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
How they judge defensive effectiveness in that publication is an interesting concept from what I've read, but I'm still not sold.

LOL well of course, it goes against your argument. :D

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Biggest Red Sox homer ever.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2901258170_47d571ef9d.jpg

jkeithc82
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
wait...Derek Jeter catches a ball in fair territory at the toilet vs the Sox, takes five steps, dives into the stands, comes out with a tiny cut and ESPN attempts to give him the Nobel Peace Prize?

Not only that but he nailed Giambi at the plate!

Do you think the play could have been different if Jeremy had remembered Pony League baseball fundamentals and actually slid into home?

GetBigyo
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2901258170_47d571ef9d.jpg

Yup because you never cry over your Sox players.

brb looking up every stat possible why Youkilis is still better then Tex and creating a ****storm

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:24 AM
And I agree that Jeter is one of the most overrated players ever. He's good offensively, but defensively, he's average at best. If he wasn't playing in NY, he would be just an "average shortstop". I like the guy and all, but that's how it is.

Aran
08-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Not only that but he nailed Giambi at the plate!

Do you think the play could have been different if Jeremy had remembered Pony League baseball fundamentals and actually slid into home?

dude, seriously can you stop mentioning that play. it took me years to get over that. kthanks

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Yup because you never cry over your Sox players.

brb looking up every stat possible why Youkilis is still better then Tex and creating a ****storm

Ignore that guy. He's just some pissed off 26 year old that one the debated and arguments starts, he resorts to posting stupid pictures (which is incredibly played out) because he can't think of anything else to say.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
LOL well of course, it goes against your argument. :D

I'm not saying it couldn't change the way I feel about it, I'm just saying I haven't gotten into the material enough for it do so.

And as far as fielding percentage goes, with a SS having thousands and thousands of balls hit to them, eventually things like "how hard a ball is hit" will even out for each player. If two players field 20,000 balls in their career, the variables are much less and significant than two players who have fielded 1,000 balls in their career.

Obviously it isn't the perfect statistic, but just because it's simple doesn't mean it can't be very useful.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:26 AM
BRB being decent at the SS position

http://www.dansteinberg.com/blog/uploaded_images/Portfolio_03-717399.jpg

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Ignore that guy. He's just some pissed off 26 year old that one the debated and arguments starts, he resorts to posting stupid pictures (which is incredibly played out) because he can't think of anything else to say.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVI5W8Eg3Gs/SI8lYL-M6jI/AAAAAAAAABE/hJEyACF7rNQ/s320/YouMad.jpg

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:27 AM
jus sayin btw

Only 10 teams in the modern era have had longer streaks than the Marlins' current run of 13 straight games with 10 or more hits.

# .....Year........Team............ Began....... Ended
18 1925 Cleveland Indians 7/2/1925 7/16/1925
18 1922 St. Louis Browns 8/9/1922 8/26/1922
16 1900 Philadelphia Phillies 4/25/1900 5/16/1900
15 1937 St. Louis Browns 7/15/1937 7/27/1937
15 1936 Detroit Tigers 6/20/1936 7/9/1936
15 1933 Washington Senators 6/8/1933 6/25/1933
15 1929 New York Giants 6/11/1929 6/23/1929
14 1934 Detroit Tigers 8/1/1934 8/15/1934
14 1925 Pittsburgh Pirates 8/28/1925 9/9/1925
14 1922 Pittsburgh Pirates 7/29/1922 8/13/1922
13 2009 Florida Marlins 8/4/2009
13 1999 Boston Red Sox 5/6/1999 5/19/1999
13 1997 Chicago White Sox 5/8/1997 5/21/1997
13 1928 St. Louis Browns 4/25/1928 5/8/1928

brb making history

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:29 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVI5W8Eg3Gs/SI8lYL-M6jI/AAAAAAAAABE/hJEyACF7rNQ/s320/YouMad.jpg

Oh I get it because I said you post stupid played out pics...you decided to do just that

LMAO god you're hilarious.

HEY EVERYONE, HAVE YOU SEEN THE ORIGINALITY ON THIS GUY^^^^ HE'S UNBELIEVABLE AND NOT AT ALL PREDICTABLE EITHER!!

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:29 AM
jus sayin btw

Only 10 teams in the modern era have had longer streaks than the Marlins' current run of 13 straight games with 10 or more hits.

# .....Year........Team............ Began....... Ended
18 1925 Cleveland Indians 7/2/1925 7/16/1925
18 1922 St. Louis Browns 8/9/1922 8/26/1922
16 1900 Philadelphia Phillies 4/25/1900 5/16/1900
15 1937 St. Louis Browns 7/15/1937 7/27/1937
15 1936 Detroit Tigers 6/20/1936 7/9/1936
15 1933 Washington Senators 6/8/1933 6/25/1933
15 1929 New York Giants 6/11/1929 6/23/1929
14 1934 Detroit Tigers 8/1/1934 8/15/1934
14 1925 Pittsburgh Pirates 8/28/1925 9/9/1925
14 1922 Pittsburgh Pirates 7/29/1922 8/13/1922
13 2009 Florida Marlins 8/4/2009
13 1999 Boston Red Sox 5/6/1999 5/19/1999
13 1997 Chicago White Sox 5/8/1997 5/21/1997
13 1928 St. Louis Browns 4/25/1928 5/8/1928

brb making history

Lmao

Wtf?

Nobody cares about that crap.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm not saying it couldn't change the way I feel about it, I'm just saying I haven't gotten into the material enough for it do so.

And as far as fielding percentage goes, with a SS having thousands and thousands of balls hit to them, eventually things like "how hard a ball is hit" will even out for each player. If two players field 20,000 balls in their career, the variables are much less and significant than two players who have fielded 1,000 balls in their career.

Obviously it isn't the perfect statistic, but just because it's simple doesn't mean it can't be very useful.

Which is why having the same neutral group of guys analyze every single play is much more valuable sorting a players defensive ability than 15 different guys a day.

They have the data sorted with computers to look at a play and say "the ball was hit 15 feet to his left at 80 mph and took three hops, and here are 100 other plays this year just like that" and judge him based on that

This is why plus/minus is so much better than looking at errors or FP%. It's neutral. Who knows how many errors Jeter would have if he wasn't Derek Jeter? If, say. Jed Lowrie made the exact same plays and exact same errors as Jeter, Jeter would have far fewer errors than Jed.

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Lmao

Wtf?

Nobody cares about that crap.

You will be caring when they roll all over the Yankees (or whatever team you like) in the World Series...for the second time this decade

Hwoarang10
08-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Does kingcanuck just make threads for people to argue in?

He never has any points to make, he just sets up flame wars.

JuicintheJuice
08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
I think everyone can agree that Hanley is the best hitting SS right now. He's in a league of his own. Jeter is not overated though. His defense is overated, that is all.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
You will be caring when they roll all over the Yankees (or whatever team you like) in the World Series...for the second time this decade

White Sox, and I would be pretty happy if we just made it to the World Series this year.

And lol @ the Marlins... they won't even make the playoffs.

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM
White Sox, and I would be pretty happy if we just made it to the World Series this year.

And lol @ the Marlins... they won't even make the playoffs.

lol @ a white sox fan loling @ a marlins fan

Marlins have a better record than your entire division

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I think everyone can agree that Hanley is the best hitting SS right now. He's in a league of his own. Jeter is not overated though. His defense is overated, that is all.

well, yeah. That's pretty much what we mean when we say he's "overrated". His BA is very very respectable. That really just leaves defense. I mean, he's not bad or anything, but I do think he's overrated in that aspect.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
lol @ a white sox fan loling @ a marlins fan

Marlins have a better record than your entire division

The Marlins also play in the JV league.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
lol @ troll Marlins fan trying to pretend like his team will make the playoffs.

lol

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:54 AM
The Marlins also play in the JV league.

Yeah what with being the same division as the defending champions as well as ANOTHER team that has a better record than almost your entire division. Braves are what? A half game away from being better than your division as well. Your division is the weakest of any division in the league. When the White Sox can have a respectable record in a REAL division (AL East, for example), then you can lol @ the marlins.

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:56 AM
lol @ troll Marlins fan trying to pretend like his team will make the playoffs.

lol

troll? really? what? give up on posting irrelevant pics and now you're resorting to calling people names? Honestly dude, I like you and all, but come on....

And realistically, no, the Marlins probably won't make the playoffs, but they sure as hell will give the teams a run for their money. Forgive me for having hope for my team.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah what with being the same division as the defending champions as well as ANOTHER team that has a better record than almost your entire division. Braves are what? A half game away from being better than your division as well. Your division is the weakest of any division in the league. When the White Sox can have a respectable record in a REAL division (AL East, for example), then you can lol @ the marlins.

comparing records of AL vs NL teams = facepalm

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 09:59 AM
comparing records of AL vs NL teams = facepalm

And why is that exactly?

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 09:59 AM

So your division has some teams who also did well against other JV league teams. Bravo.

Even though we are in a bit of a down year, I would like to think that even we could have a good record if we were playing half-assed teams most of the year like you guys.

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
So your division has some teams who also did well against other JV league teams. Bravo.

Even though we are in a bit of a down year, I would like to think that even we could have a good record if we were playing half-assed teams most of the year like you guys.

you already are. It's called the AL Central.

NDame616
08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
And why is that exactly?

This must be your first time following baseball. Understandable, looking at your posts/

The games are played a bit differently in the AL and the NL, in case you didn't notice. You can't compare teams based on record from the AL and the NL since the games are played so differently.

Did you know there's a DH in the AL? Kinda makes the lineup a little different.....unless you're the Red Sox, who would probably be better off having their pitchers hit.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 10:03 AM
And why is that exactly?

AL has dominated in interleague play for 6 straight years.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 10:04 AM
you already are. It's called the AL Central.

Great rebuttal. You sure got me there!

anonymous123
08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
This must be your first time following baseball. Understandable, looking at your posts/

The games are played a bit differently in the AL and the NL, in case you didn't notice. You can't compare teams based on record from the AL and the NL since the games are played so differently.

Did you know there's a DH in the AL? Kinda makes the lineup a little different.....unless you're the Red Sox, who would probably be better off having their pitchers hit.

Because of the DH? That gives the advantage to the American League, not the NL. Forgive us for actually playing fair baseball. That's like having a designated foul shooter every time Shaq comes to the line. But let's save that for another debate

Even taking the DH rule into account, saying you can't compare opposing leagues is stupid. It doesn't affect the game to the point where you're not allowed to make comparisons across the board. That kills the entire fun of the game in general. And for the record, I'm pretty sure Marlins hold a winning record in interleague play anyway.

PatrickBateman1
08-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Derek Jeters thread is now about White Sox vs Marlins.

KingCanuck
08-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Does kingcanuck just make threads for people to argue in?

He never has any points to make, he just sets up flame wars.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z270/IK2121/333e245.gif

SpiderSense
08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Being all time hits leader at SS is like winning tallest midget.