PDA

View Full Version : Burning fat / gaining muscles question

kevin.n4
08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
There is a lot information out there and I got confused. I just need to clear things up ...

Is it right that you gain muscles as long you eat recommended daily allowance of protein and work out? I mean, even if I do 2 hours of cardio - eat less calories than I consume - I'll still be gaining muscles?

knox07
08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
you might gain strength, but you wont add on more muscle

maneck35
08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
u sayin u eat ur daily reqmt of protein and jus do cardio all the time? no lifting? is that what u asking about?

willldabeast
08-12-2009, 02:27 PM
no i dont think you would gain much if any muscle. that is a ton of cardio while in a calorie deficit

gbardahl
08-12-2009, 02:33 PM
why on earth would you be doing 2 hours of cardio?

david_0729
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
There is a lot information out there and I got confused. I just need to clear things up ...

Is it right that you gain muscles as long you eat recommended daily allowance of protein and work out? I mean, even if I do 2 hours of cardio - eat less calories than I consume - I'll still be gaining muscles?

Have you seen a Kenyan marathoner? They don't carry a lot of mass. Look at the physique of a sprinter vs. endurance. The daily allowance of protein is well below what you need to build muscle.

kevin.n4
08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
u sayin u eat ur daily reqmt of protein and jus do cardio all the time? no lifting? is that what u asking about?

No no, I was talking about doing cardio and lifting weights.

It's like this. I gained 8 pounds this summer. I want to start lifting weights, but I understand gaining muscles equals gaining weight. Right now my body mass index (BMI) is 23.1 (kg/m2) which is still in normal range, but in the long run I shouldn't gain much more weight.

Would you recommend me to loose some weight first and then start working out?

zeetis
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Right now my body mass index (BMI) is 23.1 (kg/m2) which is still in normal range, but in the long run I shouldn't gain much more weight.

argh, there's your first mistake... don't listen to BMI it's meaningless.

If you want to recompose your body to have more muscle and less fat doing 2 hours of cardio is going to inhibit your gains in muscle

kevin.n4
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
If you want to recompose your body to have more muscle and less fat doing 2 hours of cardio is going to inhibit your gains in muscle

That's what I expected. As I said I got confused and have to clear it up.

So do you recommend me to loose some weight first and then start working out?