PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Guys! Is this Normal??? (Cardio Related)

jm1080
08-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey guys, I didnt know where else to post this, but I dont know if this is normal or not! But I rarely do heavy cardio or barely any cardio at all, I been bulking up my whole life and never cared for cardio.

Im 21 and recently started doing cardio, doing some running at the park, but I get tired real easily even if it is jogging...My heart rate goes to 200 and up I believe (checked it a while back) This week while doing cardio I did sprinting after a short jog. I push myself real hard and do not give up. I get cramps real easily though, is there a way to get rid of that? (cramps in my lower stomach) and no I do not drink or eat before..

Also I run out of breath real easily, and today I did a bit of sprinting until I couldnt anymore, and I ran out of breath badly, it was hard to catch a breath even when sitting down..I drank water and water and still feel dead and a bit dizzy (very little though) I also noticed today while walking back that I had a bit of chest pain as I could only take deep breaths for some reason and my left ear also got clogged (when you have water in your ear, that is what it felt like)

Now is this all normal?!?!?! I guess Im a newbie to cardio but I push myself as if I was pushing myself in the gym..In the gym I'am normal. Please help guys!

hiddindragon08
08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey guys, I didnt know where else to post this, but I dont know if this is normal or not! But I rarely do heavy cardio or barely any cardio at all, I been bulking up my whole life and never cared for cardio.

Im 21 and recently started doing cardio, doing some running at the park, but I get tired real easily even if it is jogging...My heart rate goes to 200 and up I believe (checked it a while back) This week while doing cardio I did sprinting after a short jog. I push myself real hard and do not give up. I get cramps real easily though, is there a way to get rid of that? (cramps in my lower stomach) and no I do not drink or eat before..

Also I run out of breath real easily, and today I did a bit of sprinting until I couldnt anymore, and I ran out of breath badly, it was hard to catch a breath even when sitting down..I drank water and water and still feel dead and a bit dizzy (very little though) I also noticed today while walking back that I had a bit of chest pain as I could only take deep breaths for some reason and my left ear also got clogged (when you have water in your ear, that is what it felt like)

Now is this all normal?!?!?! I guess Im a newbie to cardio but I push myself as if I was pushing myself in the gym..In the gym I'am normal. Please help guys!

What's your height/weight/bodyfat % estimate? You don't need to kill yourself doing cardio, that's just bad cardio. Search the forums for the correct BMP you want your heart rate to be around in fat burning mode and then it just takes time. If you're obese and want to lose weight faster, then you're going to be in the what is it.. 85% of max heart rate zone.. But 200bpm seems really high. It doesn't sound like you're doing HIIT or preparing for a marathon so I'd say if you can't catch your breath and dripping with sweat you're not doing it right =P

red_cat
08-11-2009, 08:50 PM
What do you eat before and after your cardio? That could have something to do with it.

Something is obviously not right. How hard do you feel like you're pushing yourself?

cavymeister
08-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I'd say you're OK, but I am not a doctor. Just slow down some. Don't kill yourself on the cardio. Two reasons: 1. You don't want to hurt yourself. 2. You don't want to burn yourself out too quickly.

It's OK if your jog is just a tick over a walk. It's OK if you take 12 minutes to finish a mile. Take your time to build up the cardio. It's not easy and don't expect to run 26.2 miles the 2nd week out.

jm1080
08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
What's your height/weight/bodyfat % estimate? You don't need to kill yourself doing cardio, that's just bad cardio. Search the forums for the correct BMP you want your heart rate to be around in fat burning mode and then it just takes time. If you're obese and want to lose weight faster, then you're going to be in the what is it.. 85% of max heart rate zone.. But 200bpm seems really high. It doesn't sound like you're doing HIIT or preparing for a marathon so I'd say if you can't catch your breath and dripping with sweat you're not doing it right =P

thanks for your response, im 5'11" 160-165lbs always fluctuating, and body fat is like 15%. I used to be 180lbs, but around 20-23% bodyfat, the reason why Im doing cardio is so I wont gain fat, but I also dont want to lose more weight which is why Im doing sprinting to work the fast twitch muscles (I believe that is what is called) because jogging or running for a long period of time burns much more calories thus making me lose weight (from my understanding)

I did try HIIT as well, which I believe is like jogging then running fast for a couple secs, then repeat, right? But when I tried that I got tired after the second time of running fast and was out of air. I just dont know why Im having those problems, maybe Im just not used to it, today I felt like I was going to faint, because it is so hot outside in this heat down south!

red_cat
08-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I did try HIIT as well, which I believe is like jogging then running fast for a couple secs, then repeat, right? But when I tried that I got tired after the second time of running fast and was out of air. I just dont know why Im having those problems, maybe Im just not used to it, today I felt like I was going to faint, because it is so hot outside in this heat down south!

HIIT is more like 30 sec jogging or walking/30 sec of sprinting x 15 minutes.

What time of day are you running? If it's in the middle of the day, that'd make ANYBODY want to faint! It's starting to just sound like you're not in very good cardiovascular health, which is fine. Just don't kill yourself right now and take your time incresing the intensity/duration of your workouts.

jm1080
08-12-2009, 08:07 AM
HIIT is more like 30 sec jogging or walking/30 sec of sprinting x 15 minutes.

What time of day are you running? If it's in the middle of the day, that'd make ANYBODY want to faint! It's starting to just sound like you're not in very good cardiovascular health, which is fine. Just don't kill yourself right now and take your time incresing the intensity/duration of your workouts.

Im running at the middle of the day when the sun is fully out lol, but reason is to sweat more and help with tan, but yea it is real hot.

I also eat oatmeal in the morning with banana and oj, then I go for the run and dont drink any water before hand. What can help with the cramps? I get them like in the first 5 minutes of jogging...

Like what I did yesturday was jog around the soccer field once..Which used to be nothing back when I used to play sports..Then I sat and rested for a bit because I felt cramp. I was sweating like crazy but still didnt drink since I didnt want cramp. Then I jogged from one side of the soccer field to the other and on my way back I sprinted (exhausted me) I rested each time until the last 2, I decided to push myself to my limit I guess, with no rest on the last 2. And I literally couldnt jog back, but I pushed myself to sprint until my legs died lol. Then I was really out of breath and was breathing heavily and my chest was pounding like it was going to explode. I sat and rested and drank my Xtend, and still out of breath sweating a lot..Then walking back to my car, I was a bit dizzy, just very little though and my left ear went (as if water is in your ear), I had to sit down and rest again as I was really exhausted, finally made it to my car and jumped in the pool when I got home, then I started feeling better as time passed!

What you guys think of that???? Guess it isnt normal, my diet is good, doing a clean bulk which is why I started doing cardio and to stay healthy. Drinking 1 gal a day of water as well.

Bodybreak
08-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Make sure your drinking water before you go running and try and get water while your running. Other than that I think you might be out of shape still so go easy for now, do some walking with light jogging and slowly build yourself up.

crupiea
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Your problemn is your fat and out of shape. Its called exercise, its sometimes hard to do.

If you are having a medical problem then go to the Doctor. If you need some running advice try this:

Next time you try to run start by walking a lap or so. This will get you warmed up. Then start running but just barely faster then walking. Kind of like you could be walking at the same speed but you are going through the motions of running instead.

Do this for about 60 seconds and then walk for 90 seconds.

Do this for a total of 15 minutes or so.

Slow down. Your conditioning will come with time. You will soon start running faster and be able to breath better. You have to start slow.

bikes4u
08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I'd say you're OK, but I am not a doctor. Just slow down some. Don't kill yourself on the cardio. Two reasons: 1. You don't want to hurt yourself. 2. You don't want to burn yourself out too quickly.

It's OK if your jog is just a tick over a walk. It's OK if you take 12 minutes to finish a mile. Take your time to build up the cardio. It's not easy and don't expect to run 26.2 miles the 2nd week out.

^^^true that. You will burn the same amount of cals/mile no matter what the speed is. Your speed will come with practice/time. Don't over train and hurt yourself--this is the worst thing you can do. Good Luck OP!

cramps can be helped with calcium sups.

jm1080
08-12-2009, 08:55 AM
^^^true that. You will burn the same amount of cals/mile no matter what the speed is. Your speed will come with practice/time. Don't over train and hurt yourself--this is the worst thing you can do. Good Luck OP!

cramps can be helped with calcium sups.

Ah ok, thanks for responses guys, I will take it slow then! And for cramps, just taking calcium supp will help?

I also thought drinking water before hand or during will give you a cramp? I usually just drink after Im done. Is there anything else to prevent cramps? There so annoying. Thanks again guys.

ShayZ
08-12-2009, 09:00 AM
The cramps are 100% normal. Usually on just 1 side right (the same side virtually everytime)? But sometimes on both sides. They're call side pains or side aches.
You get them when your body isn't used to the cardio. It'll go away after a while.
Lots of water helps, but you'll still get them.

As for your chest hurting still kind of normal but sure on the water clogged ear.

Cant1Stop
08-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Sounds like you don't really need to "slow down a bit" as you'd say, maybe some but not to much just so you can get back into shape. Sounds like you are just out of shape. Anyone who is out of shape and works hard this will happen to. After awhile you'll see, it will change. Keep pushing yourself and drink plenty of water.

dm3mdgtr
08-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Pretty much summed up but one other thing. Don't just sit down when you are done. That slouched over will compress your lungs a bit. Keep standing tall and keep your hands above your head interlocked. This will open your lungs allowing for more oxygen.

jm1080
08-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Pretty much summed up but one other thing. Don't just sit down when you are done. That slouched over will compress your lungs a bit. Keep standing tall and keep your hands above your head interlocked. This will open your lungs allowing for more oxygen.

Thanks for that tip, never knew that, ill try that next time. So I will just not push myself that hard until my body gets used to it. Also Ill drink water in between running/jogging if it helps, hopefully cramps go away in time. Any other tips> Would greatly appreciate it!