PDA

View Full Version : Carb tolerance = eating loads of carbs and not getting fat?

Dom!
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Okay, so I'm one of those people who (even when I did little sport) could stuff their face (with mainly high-carb) things and not put on weight/fat and, like everyone else, said it must be a very fast metabolism.

However, I was re-reading a post on stronglifts.com (http://stronglifts.com/nutrition-101-definite-beginner-guide-healthy-nutrition/) and one bit said:

70% of population is carb intolerant: they get fat eating excess carbs.

So does that mean 30% of the population can get away with eating loads of carbs due to being carb tolerant (an insulin-related issue I assume)?

Cliffs:
Apparently excess carbs make you fat if you're carb intolerant.
Apparently it affects 70% of the population.
So can 30% of people can eat loads of carbs with few/no repercussions due to being 'carb tolerant'?

RealMenDeadLift
08-10-2009, 04:10 PM
if excess means it leads to excess calories than yes, but otherwise that statement is pure drivel

Opies
08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
you don't get fat from eating one macro or another...

I'm assuming this is moreso referring to the difference when overeating carbs:
-some people get sweaty and hyper and bounce of the wall, and their metabolism shoots sky high for a short time, using up a lot of that excess
-other people get very lethargic and sleepy and none of that excess gets used up

there is a thread about it in the advanced nutrition section I think

determined4000
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I think it means 70% of the population are in caloric surplus

Atropa
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
It is just an insulin issue.

Red9
08-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I think it means 70% of the population are in caloric surplus

I think I'm gonna agree with this guy:D

Flexxo
08-10-2009, 06:12 PM
The times I am most vascular is when I am eating whole grains and fruits. I eat 5+ fruits a day and it always feels amazing.

For some reason, it happens when I eat zucchini too, haha.

But as stated, no direct macro will make you fat..

This is VERY generalized and possibly wrong to throw out, but my friend JUST got back from India, their diet is 80+% carbs. All he ate was breads, rices, veggies, etc. He said the only 'fat' people, were the ones who were 60+ and just old. The FIRST severely overweight 'teen' he saw, was when he got back to the states (or saw an American there).