PDA

View Full Version : Recipe: Healthy Tacos

FOXXIE
07-30-2009, 10:49 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1967111&stc=1&d=1249019212

Very Easy

Ingredient: Lean Ground Beef ( you can also use ground lean turkey), Red Pinto beans,Sprouts,Tomato, Garlic,Onions,Iceberg lettuce, Black Pepper, Olive Oil

Heat up a pan in a medium heat and pour some olive oil

Diced the tomato and for the taco shell just peel off the leaves on the iceberg lettuce, set it aside.

Diced Onions and Garlic ( save the half for the ground beef) once the pan is hot you can put the onions and the garlic wait till is brown. Then put the red pinto beans and the sprouts ( cook it for about 5 minutes) Then set it aside

On other pan, put the the rest of the save up portion of onions and garlic ( wait till is brown) then add the ground beef. Sprinkle some black pepper !

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1967121&stc=1&d=1249019212

Take some of the iceberg leaves that you just peeled off from the iceberg scoop some of the cooked ground beef, red beans and sprouts and diced tomatos. If you want to spice it up you can add some taco sauce , grated cheese or sour cream. Enjoy!

Bignbuff
07-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for posting! Reps on recharge.

FOXXIE
07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks for posting! Reps on recharge.

no problem :)

Simmo0508
07-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Good work.

Gotta make sure the lettuce leaves are relatively hard though, otherwise obviously the filling just slops everywhere. The outer leaves of the head of lettuce are pretty good for it.

FOXXIE
07-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Good work.

Gotta make sure the lettuce leaves are relatively hard though, otherwise obviously the filling just slops everywhere. The outer leaves of the head of lettuce are pretty good for it.

yup that is what i used, the outter leaves of the lettuce . :)

snorkelman
07-31-2009, 01:42 AM
I can see if you are on a keto diet the benefit of replacing the taco shells with lettuce leaves (ignoring the carbs in the pinto beans) but otherwise, what is the harm in a couple of taco shells? Here is a link for a popular brand which shows that 3 shells only adds 150 calories, 7 grams of fat, 135 mg sodium, 2 g protein, 19 grams carbs.
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/old-el-paso/taco-shell

Don't get me wrong, I think your idea is a good option to have in your tool belt if you need a meal that limits the fat or carbs or calories a bit more, but eliminating the pinto beans from your recipe would handle the carb issue, and if 7 grams of fat or 150 calories is going to break you, then IMO you should look at other meals to shave the calories so that you can enjoy the tacos in shells instead of the slop falling out all over the place.

I guess it was your use of the word "healthy" that makes me uneasy because it implies that using shells is somehow not healthy.

NewJersey
08-02-2009, 10:26 PM
damn girl i want some of your taco

Vietgoboi
08-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Have you tried these in your taco or wrap?

- Green mustard
- Green peppers (big ones)
- cucumber
- tomato
- mayo

Trying to combine these with my tons of chicken breast + tortilla wraps for tomorrow lunch. :(

Simmo0508
08-02-2009, 10:49 PM
damn girl i want some of your taco

Have you tried these in your taco

lmao! :D

(yeah i'm immature sometimes lol)

FOXXIE
08-02-2009, 10:51 PM

(yeah i'm immature sometimes lol)

ha i read it and ignore it. lol

RapidFiyah
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM

(yeah i'm immature sometimes lol)Aren't Tacos the only food you enjoy, along with steak?

Simmo0508
08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Aren't Tacos the only food you enjoy, along with steak?

Only if it's your taco.

Paintedblack
08-02-2009, 11:42 PM
why do people always use ground beef for tacos? Steak or chicken tacos taste much better...

Red9
08-03-2009, 12:35 AM
why do people always use ground beef for tacos? Steak or chicken tacos taste much better...

Because they want to? lol...