PDA

View Full Version : How much fat is enough?

revxus
07-30-2009, 04:36 PM
My first diet at losing weight started with 30g of fat or less per day, and therefore my carb intake was a bit higher (60% - 70% overall). Now, I am bulking and building lean muscle mass, so my protein intake has increased from 30% to 40%, and my carbs have dropped to 40% as well but my fat intake rose 10g so I now consume about 40g instead... and honestly I feel a bit "guilty" for the extra bit of fat, is this healthy or can I still maintain under 30g fat daily and keep a 40/40/20 ratio???

FunkymonkAW
07-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Why would you feel guilty for extra fat grams? Fat does not make you fat. Calories do. Fat just happens to have 9 cals/g, whereas carbs and protein have 4cals/g.

On my 2000 cal cutting diet, I changed my macro breakdown from 60/30/10 to 45/35/20 and feel loads better. I honestly believe having my ~44g of fat a day instead of ~20g is what made the difference. Make sure you're getting enough.

determined4000
07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
My first diet at losing weight started with 30g of fat or less per day, and therefore my carb intake was a bit higher (60% - 70% overall). Now, I am bulking and building lean muscle mass, so my protein intake has increased from 30% to 40%, and my carbs have dropped to 40% as well but my fat intake rose 10g so I now consume about 40g instead... and honestly I feel a bit "guilty" for the extra bit of fat, is this healthy or can I still maintain under 30g fat daily and keep a 40/40/20 ratio???

Fat should be at least 20%
Diets too low in fat
1. Puts you into the starvation zone
Low calories and skipping meals aren?t the only things that send you into
survival mode. When dietary fat intake is reduced to less than 10% of total daily
calories, this also sets off the starvation alarm.
2. Causes large fluctuations in blood sugar
Fat slows down the release of carbohydrates into the bloodstream. When large
amounts of simple and refined carbohydrates are eaten alone, they shoot rapidly into the
bloodstream, creating a large spike in blood sugar.
3. Causes greater insulin release
When your blood sugar spikes, your pancreas releases a lot of insulin to bring
blood sugar back down to normal. Moderate amounts of insulin are necessary (and
anabolic). Large amounts or insulin are lipogenic (cause fat storage) and anti-lipolyic
(prevent fat release).
4. Causes hormonally related hunger and cravings
You can have more willpower than a celibate monk in the Playboy mansion, but if
you get hormonally induced hunger, you won?t to be able to fight it. Whenever there?s an
unusually large blood sugar spike, it?s a law of nature that there must be an equal or
greater valley. This blood sugar valley, known as hypoglycemia, is the cause of those
intense, almost irresistible cravings that send you frantically to the nearest Baskin
Robbins or Krispy Kreme store.
5. Reduces testosterone
Low dietary fat levels are correlated with low testosterone levels. For someone
trying to become leaner and more muscular, this spells disaster.
6. Can be deficient in essential fatty acids

Focus on Getting EFAs
There are at least eleven important function of EFA?s in your diet:
- EFA?s improve insulin sensitivity
- EFA?s are required for absorption of fat soluble vitamins
- EFA?s are essential for joint health
- EFA?s are required for energy production
- EFA?s are required for Oxygen transfer
- EFA?s maintain cell membrane integrity
- EFA?s suppress cortisol production
- EFA?s improve skin texture (dry skin is a classic symptom of EFA deficiency)
- EFA?s are growth promoting
- EFA?s increase metabolic rate
- EFA?s help burn fat
Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats tend to lower levels of blood pressure, cholesterol, inflammation in arteries, reduce risk of heart disease

eriram
07-30-2009, 05:30 PM

30g?! That is a bit low. I think 50-60g would be a HEALTHY dose for your weight.

determined4000
07-30-2009, 05:40 PM
if 40g fat= 20% of calories, then you are attempting to BULK ON 1800 calories????

robinsteal
07-30-2009, 05:44 PM
1g per pound of bodyweight in protein the rest of your cals can come from EFA's and carbs. I'm eating 2300 cals a day - about 130g of protein, 250g carbs and 86g fats. comes out to roughly 23% protein, 33% fats and 44% carbs. you'll be fine with more fats in your diet, you will probably feel a lot better too.

revxus
07-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Wow. All that you guys have replied have made me re-think everything!!! It's hard to believe that fat won't make you fat... know what I mean?

xraided85
07-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Fats are actually pretty good for you, especially EFA. They help your skin and hair health among many other things. Just stay away from the trans fats and saturated fats.

determined4000
07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Wow. All that you guys have replied have made me re-think everything!!! It's hard to believe that fat won't make you fat... know what I mean?

yeah u r living in the 80s
just think of it as a nurtient like protein
your body has a need for it
especially when trying to build muscle
IMO its all about your source of food
Add nuts PB, olive oil, flax- not french fries and twinkies

revxus
07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
yeah u r living in the 80s
just think of it as a nurtient like protein
your body has a need for it
especially when trying to build muscle
IMO its all about your source of food
Add nuts PB, olive oil, flax- not french fries and twinkies

Ok I just googled it and came across an explanation on eHow.com (I think?) which explains body fat vs fat from foods consumed is different. Thanks!

RapidFiyah
07-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Fats are actually pretty good for, especially EFA. They help your skin and hair health among many other things. Just stay away from the trans fats and saturated fats.So tired of hearing misinformed idiots like you trying to give others advice.

So tired of it.

Defiled
07-30-2009, 08:39 PM
around 55% of my caloric intake is from fats and i have never felt better. Also saturated fats are completely fine, not all of them are the same MCTs have been shown to have so many health benefits. I am not to versed in how good/bad LCTs are though.

xraided85
07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
So tired of hearing misinformed idiots like you trying to give others advice.

So tired of it.

How am I misinformed idiot? Seems to me your just came into this post, gave no advice and tried to discredit my little comment I made.

Ive been taking EFAs (udos oil mostly) for the past few years and obviously spent the time to read about otherwise I wouldn't still be buying it. All I did was agree with above post.

Seems to me your the idiot

determined4000
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
How am I misinformed idiot? Seems to me your just came into this post, gave no advice and tried to discredit my little comment I made.

Ive been taking EFAs (udos oil mostly) for the past few years and obviously spent the time to read about otherwise I wouldn't still be buying it. All I did was agree with above post.

Seems to me your the idiot

dont worry I repped u
hes pro-"eat all the sat. fat you want"

xraided85
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
dont worry I repped u
hes pro-"eat all the sat. fat you want"

well mcdonalds is calling his name

revxus
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
What does it mean when you "rep" someone???

RapidFiyah
08-03-2009, 04:08 PM

Seems to me your the idiotI'm talking about your stay away from Saturated Fat line.

dont worry I repped u
hes pro-"eat all the sat. fat you want"Why yes, I am in favor of Clinical Studies done on Humans rather than Epidemiological Studies.

well mcdonalds is calling his nameWhat?

Flexxo
08-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Give me two pints of Ben and Jerry's.

I'm not scared!