PDA

View Full Version : Obey the hunger or obey the calorie count

a_ahmed
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Now this may sound silly but it is a legitimate question.

For the most part we crave food because our body requires something.. but then we also crave food as we've trained our body habitually to enjoy the flavour of food.

All that being said... when training, be it bodybuilding, sports training program or whatever... cutting or bulking... when you set out a plan of eating say 2000 or 2500 or 3000 or even 3500 calories a day.... should you hold yourself back from eating if it doesn't go according to plan?

What I mean is... lets say I broke down my meals into 6 meals a day and it all comes down to 2500 calories total in the day... between the meals if i feel hungry should I indulge or keep away?

I mean if we are starving doesn't the body consume itself?... or should we just be discplined and strict and go ahead with the plan.

Likewise if bulking and having to take say 3500 calories but you're not hungry.. just force yourself to eat?

This may be ever so obvious but i don't know. I thought about it the other day. When I was going at it keeping calorie count and a plan... I felt urges to eat alot after certain heavy workouts... but I was afraid I'd be counter productive of just not going along with the calorie count and screwing up the end result.

Discuss.

JDkeystone
07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I asked this same question a few weeks ago, and was basically told **** what you may think your body is "telling" you; come hell or high water, unless you're actually sick, stick to your predetermined calorie allowance no matter what.

Opies
07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Feelings of hunger, are not always hunger, and feelings of hunger, are also not always in sync with what your body needs. Take some time to get to know your body's hunger, then go off that a little more, but imo the best option is always a combination of listening to your body, and a structured plan

Krique
07-29-2009, 02:43 PM
What about someone who is 400 pounds who craves 2000 calorie meals 5 times a day? Just because your body tells you it is hungry, doesn't mean you should eat. Besides, things like spikes in blood sugar, dehydration, etc can make you hungry. Hell, even certain colors/music or simply seeing food can induce hunger regardless if you are starving or not.

Emma-Leigh
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
You're dieting - most of the time you'll be hungry. It will improve after a little while (once you train your body out of thinking it is allowed to eat at particular times in particular quantities)... But then the leaner you get - the worse it will get.
You know you are really lean when you pretty much always want to chew your own arm off...
^
fun times.
:o

determined4000
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
If cutting: calorie count
if bulking: obey hunger if not gaining too quickly (fat)