PDA

View Full Version : How can I use the "Intermittent Fasting Concept" to last through Ramadan?

48Volts
07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi all,

Well, Ramadan starts August 22nd this year, and for those unaware, it's an entire month where we (muslims) are required to fast from food and water (as well as other things like wrong-doing..etc.) from sun up till sun down everyday for 30 days. Usually during Ramadan I lose a lot of weight, including muscle. I've been reading up on intermittent fasting and I think I can utilize some of the concepts to hold on to as much mass as possible (of course I know I will still lose some).

Sun up is usually around 5:10 am and sun down is around 7:50 pm. That's roughly 15 hours of no food, water, energy pills, or anything to ingest. Realistically, I'll probably be going to bed around midnight or 1 am, and waking up for a pre-fast meal around 4:45am. My plan is to eat protein and complex carb meals every 2 hours that I'm awake...so 3 or 4 before I go to bed, and 1 when I wake up.

My question:

1) is my plan a good idea? What is the optimal diet in my situation so I can preserve as much muscle as possible?
2) how about training? I'm assuming lift after the first meal, correct?

All input is greatly appreciated. Also, i'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat as me and will benefit tremendously from the tips shared here.

thanks.

papasmurf2217
07-27-2009, 10:31 PM
If you get all of your calories in then you will be fine. You can even bulk if you take in enough. Some guys on IF work out fasted and then have their "feast" afterwards, but most try to focus their workout inside their window. I'm sure you could eat and then workout before your fast and still be fine. The main focus is to make sure you eat a lot when you can.

48Volts
07-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Just for the record guys, I did utilize the search function, and found A LOT of threads about Ramadan diets. However, I was mainly aiming at the people who use IF concepts, and see what their input is on this issue. Thanks.

If you get all of your calories in then you will be fine. You can even bulk if you take in enough. Some guys on IF work out fasted and then have their "feast" afterwards, but most try to focus their workout inside their window. I'm sure you could eat and then workout before your fast and still be fine. The main focus is to make sure you eat a lot when you can.

Thanks for the reply man. I haven't thought of that idea, working out immediately before food time and having my feast as the first meal which would serve as a pwo as well. Would I just eat a boat load of carbs (high and low GI) and some protein (40g or so)?

papasmurf2217
07-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the reply man. I haven't thought of that idea, working out immediately before food time and having my feast as the first meal which would serve as a pwo as well. Would I just eat a boat load of carbs (high and low GI) and some protein (40g or so)?

I would say that much at the very least. The guidelines in the sticky for preworkout/postworkout nutrition by alan are minimums for what he recommends. So if you want to go ahead and pig out right there then I don't see a problem. The only downside with doing this is that you probably won't have much energy for your workouts and your lifts may go down because you aren't getting any food preworkout. I've tried IF, but never worked out on an empty stomach, so maybe someone else who has can chime in. But ideally, if you could work out later at night (9 or so) so that you can get a preworkout meal in then that would be best.

faisji
07-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Diet:High protein and High fat with last meal containing casein protein.

Exercise restrict to max 30 mins in the gym at a time or better still 3 days a week 45 min max.

Manage 4 meals between iftar and seher.

I have manage to not only hang on to the weight but also the strength.

The Solution
07-28-2009, 04:07 AM
Wake up at 5 or whatever, and do what you do.. Break the fast at 8 when the ramadan ends for the end, get a workout in, have a huge meal PWO, and snack to get the rest of your calories..

JutesG
06-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Wake up at 5 or whatever, and do what you do.. Break the fast at 8 when the ramadan ends for the end, get a workout in, have a huge meal PWO, and snack to get the rest of your calories..

Simple, but perfect. I like...

It's exactly what I've been doing for the past 6 months (5 hour eating window only), except with fluids during the day, and I'll be sticking to that for Ramadan. I've done something similar for Ramadaan many years when I was in my mid to late 20's.

Try this:
- break your fast with a shake at Iftar: 100g whey + 100g dextrose in 250-500ml full fat milk
- go for a short workout (drink LOTS of water before you leave home and then keep drinking at the gym)
- solid food meal (lot's of meat, starchy carbs and a bit of fats) + 30g whey shake
- casein + whey + dextrose shake and some fruit at bedtime (50-100g protein in total)
- take your other supps as normal, but no more than 2g of creatine per day

The shakes are very easy on *my* digestive system and don't fill me up to the point where I can't workout. If you get stomach discomfort, try mixing it all up in water instead and just add the 'lost' cals to your solid meal in the form of fat.

I don't bother with breakfast before Fajr - just lot's of water and a large cup coffee (straight up). Prefer to make each night seem like a feast and get my calories in about a 4-5 hour window. Never hurt me before and I'm quite heavy.

If you are able to eat enough cals, then you should even be able to grow muscle. I personally am more concerned with retaining as much as possible and keeping my metabolism 'healthy' so that I can 'hit the ground running' after Ramadan...

Golip
06-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Excellent post op

Don't wanna thread jack but any ideas for anyone on a cut during Ramadan ?

Normally do cardio in the morning and lift at night (:

Also How do you guys manage just 45mins in the gym , my workouts take at least 90mins ):

waatsgood
06-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Simple, but perfect. I like...

It's exactly what I've been doing for the past 6 months (5 hour eating window only), except with fluids during the day, and I'll be sticking to that for Ramadan. I've done something similar for Ramadaan many years when I was in my mid to late 20's.

Try this:
- break your fast with a shake at Iftar: 100g whey + 100g dextrose in 250-500ml full fat milk
- go for a short workout (drink LOTS of water before you leave home and then keep drinking at the gym)
- solid food meal (lot's of meat, starchy carbs and a bit of fats) + 30g whey shake
- casein + whey + dextrose shake and some fruit at bedtime (50-100g protein in total)
- take your other supps as normal, but no more than 2g of creatine per day

The shakes are very easy on *my* digestive system and don't fill me up to the point where I can't workout. If you get stomach discomfort, try mixing it all up in water instead and just add the 'lost' cals to your solid meal in the form of fat.

I don't bother with breakfast before Fajr - just lot's of water and a large cup coffee (straight up). Prefer to make each night seem like a feast and get my calories in about a 4-5 hour window. Never hurt me before and I'm quite heavy.

If you are able to eat enough cals, then you should even be able to grow muscle. I personally am more concerned with retaining as much as possible and keeping my metabolism 'healthy' so that I can 'hit the ground running' after Ramadan...

strong 1st post bumping a 2 year thread

Mswiss
06-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Excellent post op

Also How do you guys manage just 45mins in the gym , my workouts take at least 90mins ):

When I cut my workouts are very simplistic, think either
Deadlift
Squat
Bench and rows
Weighted Pull ups and dips.

Sometimes ill add some other exercises, but I stick primarily to those and go heavy (aiming for 1rm kind of weight.

I can pretty easily get in and out of the gym in 20 minutes if everything goes smoothly

JutesG
06-19-2011, 05:01 AM
strong 1st post bumping a 2 year thread

Sorry about that. Major fail on my part at using the search function - didn't look at the last post's date.

WonderPug
06-19-2011, 05:13 AM

That's an extreme use of protein shakes and its hard to imagine how your diet could be so bad that you need so much protein powder. Ideally, you would need zero.

Also, why use dextrose? Just eat whole foods.

JutesG
06-19-2011, 05:35 AM
That's an extreme use of protein shakes and its hard to imagine how your diet could be so bad that you need so much protein powder. Ideally, you would need zero.

Also, why use dextrose? Just eat whole foods.

For many people, it get's harder and harder to get enough solid foods in as Ramadan progresses - it's probably dehydration that's killing the appetite. Shakes make it easy to hit calorie and macro targets in that scenario, which helps preserve muscle at a time when most muslim lifters actually lose mass...

In any case, protein shakes *are* food. I do perfectly fine on one solid food meal + 1 or 2 shake meals a day, and I currently weigh 109kg. As far as convenience goes, it's perfect for me. I'm certainly not malnourished either. I'm getting stronger *every* week and slowly leaning out (down from a very fat 127kg last September).

WonderPug
06-19-2011, 05:43 AM
^ If you prefer to drink a good percentage of your calories, then so be it.