PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Question

mediumpimpin
07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
In the last 6 months or so I gained a alot of weight which I attribute to not working out and drinking ALOT. I eat very clean but when you drink a case a beer of night and dont exercise, eating clean doesnt matter much. As of last week Im back in the gym and running. My question is this- If I drink 24 shots of bacardi over the weekend (1500ish calories) but still have a weekly caloric defecit, how big of an effect will this have on my weight loss and muscle gain. I know that alcohol slows your metabolism and increases estrogen production, but I assume I will still be able to get back in shape but that it will just take a little longer. I would quit drinking completely but Im an alcoholic and just cutting down to 1-2 nites a week is hard enough and Im not at a point where Im ready to be completely sober,go to AA ETC. Any input or personal experiences would be appreciated thank you

boost_me1
07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
In the last 6 months or so I gained a alot of weight which I attribute to not working out and drinking ALOT. I eat very clean but when you drink a case a beer of night and dont exercise, eating clean doesnt matter much. As of last week Im back in the gym and running. My question is this- If I drink 24 shots of bacardi over the weekend (1500ish calories) but still have a weekly caloric defecit, how big of an effect will this have on my weight loss and muscle gain. I know that alcohol slows your metabolism and increases estrogen production, but I assume I will still be able to get back in shape but that it will just take a little longer. I would quit drinking completely but Im an alcoholic and just cutting down to 1-2 nites a week is hard enough and Im not at a point where Im ready to be completely sober,go to AA ETC. Any input or personal experiences would be appreciated thank you

A calorie is a calorie so keep that in mind. If you are planning on drinking that much you really reconsider how serious you want to take working out.

Steelers333
07-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Id say go for it and see how it works out for you. Bust your ass during the week and party a little on the weekend. Lifting, running, and cutting back on the drinking will obviously help. If your not losing any weight after a few weeks it might be time to stop completely.

dat
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
\ I would quit drinking completely but Im an alcoholic and just cutting down to 1-2 nites a week is hard enough and Im not at a point where Im ready to be completely sober,go to AA ETC. Any input or personal experiences would be appreciated thank you

My input is "go to AA".

caut1on
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Your body treats calories from alcohol differently then it does calories from fats, carbs, protein... Your body must metabolize alcohol before anything else, I am a college student and drink often also. I eat my last meal a couple hours before I start drinking, and drink whatever I want, Light Beer, Liquor with diet cola... I do not calculate the calories for these into my diet. If you are trying to cut drinking is going to hinder your fat loss big time, on a bulk it doesn't effect me too much... Also I have never seen excess weight gain from drinking 1000 calories on top of my daily caloric intake..

lee__d
07-27-2009, 05:01 PM

i think u've got bigger problems to worry about rather than working out....if you dont want to change, then go for the binge drinking and see what happens