PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Meals, Missing Sleep, and Drinking.

SD_13
07-27-2009, 02:16 AM
So I went away this weekend and met up with friends from university that I haven't seen in a month or two. We stayed in a hotel and went out downtown. As you can expect, we drank a lot. Now, I do know the harmful effects of alcohol on bodybuilding, but my real question is this:

Can you lose muscle mass over one weekend? I know I didn't this weekend, but is it possible in that short amount of time? I still ate healthy foods, but it was more a standard 3-meal day, and I'm sure I only ate about 60% of my calories.

Hypothetically, let's say it's a lot more drastic than that. Let's say you were trapped in a room with no food for 24 hours, and you were forced to stay awake as well. Obviously, you wouldn't gain any muscle over that period, but would you actually lose mass, or just simply not make any progress?

Chris2009
07-27-2009, 03:48 AM
No doubt it... you might be pushing the same weight all next week though.. who knows dont do it again anytime soon

hankst
07-27-2009, 04:33 AM
You have not lost any muscle at all, you will be fine.

Don't freak out over a weekend. Hell; I'd even say you can eat trash and skip workout for a whole week and won't lose any muscles.

Edit:

Your example: Glycogen and fat, imho. Not muscle.

Murderfox
07-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Don't get obssesed over it just get back to your current working out and dieting as soon as possible, it's just one weekend, you had fun, just leave it at that :)

Flexxo
07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
You don't lose muscle mass in a day or two. Maybe some water weight from dehydration from the alcohol, but you pretty much need a lifestyle change and inactivity for a week+ to worry about muscle atrophy.

SD_13
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Great, thanks guys.

It was just weird seeing a slight loss of muscle definition, as well a bit of bloating from having to get my carbs from bread instead of my usual quinoa and oats, which digest so well.