PDA

View Full Version : Does the A.L. Need a realignment?

89FoxBody
07-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry if Repost.

It seems like teams like the Rays and Jays would be juggernauts in weaker divisions of the AL or in the NL. Last year I think the Yankees had a better record than anyone in the NL West but didn't make the cut.

Should the divisions be realigned?

The AL central has a lot of parity (usually...the Indians are complete garbage this year), but other than that the East and West have a clear favorite or a 1/2 every opening day. I understand the Rays were a surprise last year and they are playing decently this year but I don't think they will make the cut. They might be a powerhouse in a weaker division, as well as the Jays.

It seems like the NL has WAY more parity. The Central is really close, and the East is usually pretty close as well until September when the Mets manage their inevitable epic final month choke-job. ALthough before last year, the Braves won the division like 300 years in a row.

Does anyone else think the AL should be realigned? I don't necessarily think it should, just opening it up for some discussion.

KingCanuck
07-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I think it should. Jays should move to the Central, for the epic battles vs the Tigers like the old days.

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry if Repost.

It seems like teams like the Rays and Jays would be juggernauts in weaker divisions of the AL or in the NL. Last year I think the Yankees had a better record than anyone in the NL West but didn't make the cut.

Should the divisions be realigned?

The AL central has a lot of parity (usually...the Indians are complete garbage this year), but other than that the East and West have a clear favorite or a 1/2 every opening day. I understand the Rays were a surprise last year and they are playing decently this year but I don't think they will make the cut. They might be a powerhouse in a weaker division, as well as the Jays.

It seems like the NL has WAY more parity. The Central is really close, and the East is usually pretty close as well until September when the Mets manage their inevitable epic final month choke-job. ALthough before last year, the Braves won the division like 300 years in a row.

Does anyone else think the AL should be realigned? I don't necessarily think it should, just opening it up for some discussion.

No I think you AL East homers are nauseating.

by the way...collectively you are 14 games under vs. the AL West this year. So maybe they should be realigned. So until you are actually dominating the divisions outside of yours it may be best to keep quit about a realignment. Just a thought.

89FoxBody
07-25-2009, 11:05 AM

The Yankees and Red Sox are 2 of the best teams in the MLB every single year.

One of these 2 teams wins the division every single year, with last year as a rare exception.

There is no parity at all.

89FoxBody
07-25-2009, 11:11 AM
by the way...collectively you are 14 games under vs. the AL West this year. So maybe they should be realigned. So until you are actually dominating the divisions outside of yours it may be best to keep quit about a realignment. Just a thought.

lol. Change your tampon noob, why do you have to act offended at such a simple proposition? U still mad cause the Yankees won 2 of 3 in Atlanta? Still hurting from '99? Don't cry.

And who cares? We still have the best record in the A.L. Team splits don't matter outside of the division. Sometimes a ****ty team beats a good team. Plus, the Yankees just can't win against the Angels, it's been like that for 5+ years.

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:13 AM
The Yankees and Red Sox are 2 of the best teams in the MLB every single year.

One of these 2 teams wins the division every single year, with last year as a rare exception.

There is no parity at all.

No...the Yankees have won the division every year. The Red Sox have won it like once over the past decade

Greg1983
07-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Collectively we are 32 games over vs the rest of the majors.

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:15 AM
lol. Change your tampon noob, why do you have to act offended at such a simple proposition? U still mad cause the Yankees won 2 of 3 in Atlanta? Still hurting from '99? Don't cry.

And who cares? We still have the best record in the A.L. Team splits don't matter outside of the division. Sometimes a ****ty team beats a good team. Plus, the Yankees just can't win against the Angels, it's been like that for 5+ years.

What would a realignment achieve?

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:18 AM
And I dont know where you get off saying the Red Sox and Yankees are the best teams every year when the Yankees havent even won a championship since 2000. You must be delusional. Typical Yankee fans backward ways of thinking.

89FoxBody
07-25-2009, 11:18 AM
What would a realignment achieve?

I dunno. It just seems unfair that teams having better records than entire divisions have to go fishing while worse teams get into the playoffs.

And I dont know where you get off saying the Red Sox and Yankees are the best team every year when the Yankees havent even won a championship since 2000. You must be delusional. Typical Yankee and Sox fans backward ways of thinking.

lol. I think we're all pretty well aware that Division Series are crapshoots. Short series = fail.

Greg1983
07-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't think realignment is the answer, although selfishly it would be nice as a Jays fan. They need to shorten the monotonous regular season to the old 154 games (although I'd prefer somewhere around 100, but we all know that's too drastic) and add an extra round to the playoffs. Half the teams in the majors aren't out by the all star break, they have something to play for, and thus attendance leaguewide will increase.

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
I dunno. It just seems unfair that teams having better records than entire divisions have to go fishing while worse teams get into the playoffs.

lol. I think we're all pretty well aware that Division Series are crapshoots. Short series = fail.

That's going to happen every year, no matter with an alignment or not. How many people thought the NL West was in major need of being readjusted the past few seasons? And now they have 3 of the best teams in the National League this year. Cycles happen like that.

If anything should be realigned we need to take a team away from the NL central and add a team to the AL West. Having one division with 6 teams and one with 4 makes no f*cking sense at all.

Ok, if division series are a crapshoot than you must have at least had the best record a couple times.....but no....you havent solely had the best record since before 2002 (stopped there because I didnt want to keep going back further)

89FoxBody
07-25-2009, 11:26 AM
That's going to happen every year, no matter with an alignment or not. How many people thought the NL West was in major need of being readjusted the past few seasons? And now they have 3 of the best teams in the National League this year. Cycles happen like that.

If anything should be realigned we need to take a team away from the NL central and add a team to the AL West. Having one division with 6 teams and one with 4 makes no f*cking sense at all.

Ok, if division series are a crapshoot than you must have at least had the best record a couple times.....but no....you havent solely had the best record since before 2002 (stopped there because I didnt want to keep going back further)

I said one of the best teams, not the best.

I agree, having a division with 6 teams is stupid.

Greg1983
07-25-2009, 11:28 AM

Obviously when you make the playoffs that consistently you're one of the best teams in the majors. Or were the Braves no good from 1996 on?

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I said one of the best teams, not the best.

I agree, having a division with 6 teams is stupid.

It's just funny how all you AL East homers are suddenly screaming realignment the past 2 or 3 years but go back to 2004 or 2005 and none of you would even be considering the word.

It's just a bit absurd for having a few years of success. If the MLB realigned teams every time a division showed more success than other divisions for a 3 year stretch they would be realigning constantly.

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Obviously when you make the playoffs that consistently you're one of the best teams in the majors. Or were the Braves no good from 1996 on?

I misread it the first time. I thought he said THE best 2 teams, not one of the best teams. I would not say the Braves were THE best team from 1996 on. But I will say one of the best. Thats my fault for the misread

jcilla26
07-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I think it should. Jays should move to the Central, for the epic battles vs the Tigers like the old days.

Yeah, then the White Sox could roll them just like in '93. Wait, f*ck!

Huse
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM

:rolleyes:

The AL East is by far the best division in baseball. Look at the past 10 World Series. How many times has an AL East team been represented? EIGHT TIMES! Does anyone else think it's going to be any different this year?

The AL East has combined the most wins of any other division in baseball and the talent is the best of any division in baseball.

The_Albatross
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM

If you did that you would have 15 teams in each league, which doesn't work...

Greg1983
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM

Unless you put the DH rule in the NL and treat this whole thing as one league like it should be.

Huse
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
No...the Yankees have won the division every year. The Red Sox have won it like once over the past decade

1 division title but 2 world series titles. Sox won the division last year but lost in the playoffs, i'll take a WS win over anything else any day of the week

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:39 AM

ah you're right that is true. damn....

NewYorkGiants
07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Agreed having 6 teams in one division and 4 in another is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Also agreed they should expand the playoffs to 10-12 teams

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Unless you remove the retarded DH rule in the AL and go back to how baseball originally was to treat this whole thing as one league like it should be.

uh huh

Greg1983
07-25-2009, 11:41 AM
uh huh

Agreed the way it was done in the past is always better. BRB banning blacks and latinos.

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:42 AM
1 division title but 2 world series titles. Sox won the division last year but lost in the playoffs, i'll take a WS win over anything else any day of the week

I was putting the Red Sox down there or anything, but for argumentative purposes he was talking about division winners and really it's only been the Yankees that have been winning it. Obviously I would say the Sox have been the more successful team recently though

The_Albatross
07-25-2009, 11:43 AM
recent world series winners

01- dbacks - NL West
02 - angels - AL West
03 - marlins - NL East
04 - red sox - AL East
05 - white sox - AL Central
06 - cardinals - NL Central
07 - red sox - AL East
08 - phillies - NL East

seems pretty balanced to me...

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Agreed the way it was done in the past is always better. BRB banning blacks and latinos.

why should pitchers be exempt from hitting? It's dumb

jcilla26
07-25-2009, 11:52 AM

Because pitchers get paid to pitch. Pitchers aren't built to hit and as a result, are usually easy outs. Nothing like being down by a run and having the bases loaded for a pitcher batting .075.

Greg1983
07-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Position players only have to learn how to hit and field. Pitchers have to learn how to pitch, hit and field. Since hitting is their third priority by a mile, so little time is devoted to it that it's just retarded to watch. I want to watch a pitcher hit as much as I want to see quarterbacks kick field goals or goaltenders take penalty shots.

The_Albatross
07-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Because pitchers get paid to pitch. Pitchers aren't built to hit and as a result, are usually easy outs. Nothing like being down by a run and having the bases loaded for a pitcher batting .075.

thats where strategy comes into the game with pinch hitters, pinch runners, double switches and all that stuff, effectively using your bench and bullpen.

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Position players only have to learn how to hit and field. Pitchers have to learn how to pitch, hit and field. Since hitting is their third priority by a mile, so little time is devoted to it that it's just retarded to watch. I want to watch a pitcher hit as much as I want to see quarterbacks kick field goals or goaltenders take penalty shots.

Oh god gimme a break

What's retarded is having to watch a professional hitter like David Ortiz who is so one dimensional its not even funny. if you want to specialize baseball so badly why stop at the pitcher? Why not have an offense and a defense like they do in football. I mean it's only fair....no need to have Manny trotting out to the OF when we could clearly be using a designated fielder of some sort for him.

Gabriel Anton
07-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I like the divisions the way they are.

Greg1983
07-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh god gimme a break

What's retarded is having to watch a professional hitter like David Ortiz who is so one dimensional its not even funny. if you want to specialize baseball so badly why stop at the pitcher? Why not have an offense and a defense like they do in football. I mean it's only fair....no need to have Manny trotting out to the OF when we could clearly be using a designated fielder of some sort for him.

True, most lifetime DH's are pretty poor excuses for athletes. That said, I prefer it to the alternative by a long shot. I'd be down with a compromise of no DH with an 8 man batting order.

bbacn123
07-25-2009, 03:52 PM
True, most lifetime DH's are pretty poor excuses for athletes. That said, I prefer it to the alternative by a long shot. I'd be down with a compromise of no DH with an 8 man batting order.

I still wouldnt be happy about that but it would be better than a DH