PDA

View Full Version : Rings: the true measure of a QB's ability?

HumptyBrahh
07-22-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm debating with a buddy over the top QBs of all time. I put Dan Marino at #2. He argued that Marino deserves no mention because he never won a ring.

I personally think rings are the most overrated measure of a QB's ability. What does the Sports Misc think?

captain_marvel
07-22-2009, 01:47 AM
No. QB is the most overrated position in all of sports. Teams constantly win superbowls with mediocre QB's.

Edit: I think the best measure of a QB is one that has put up consistent stats over a long and diverse period of time. By diverse I mean -- offensive coordinater leaves and your two favorite go to recievers retire plus half your offensive line is injured and you still put reasonable numbers.

wsuwarrior
07-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Hell no. The only tards that say that rings matter are Brady, Bradshaw, and Aikman fans.

JMath
07-22-2009, 01:55 AM
No. QB is the most overrated position in all of sports. Teams constantly win superbowls with mediocre QB's.

Edit: I think the best measure of a QB is one that has put up consistent stats over a long and diverse period of time. By diverse I mean -- offensive coordinater leaves and your two favorite go to recievers retire plus half your offensive line is injured and you still put reasonable numbers.

Constantly? Really? I strongly disagree.

Edit- I agree that rings do not determine the qb ability though. I just disagree with the statement that mediocre qb's win superbowls constantly.

Huse
07-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Hell no. The only tards that say that rings matter are Brady, Bradshaw, and Aikman fans.

At least we're not like Favre nuthuggers who completely disregard his record setting # of interceptions

richard02
07-22-2009, 05:01 AM
I'm debating with a buddy over the top QBs of all time. I put Dan Marino at #2. He argued that Marino deserves no mention because he never won a ring.

I personally think rings are the most overrated measure of a QB's ability. What does the Sports Misc think?

ask your buddy if he thinks brad johnson, trent dilfer, or eli manning (unfair since he is still young) are better than dan marino since they have won a super bowl and he didn't.

JRRBadBoy4Life
07-22-2009, 05:19 AM

Is your friend kethnabb?

Messiahtype
07-22-2009, 05:56 AM
I think you can be great with either.

It takes a certain moxy to win multiple rings. Using Ben as an example, while he doesn't put up monster numbers, he does what he has to when it really matters.

On the reverse of that, you have a guy like Drew Brees who is a great quarterback as well. He hasn't had the right supporting cast to win a Super Bowl, but I feel very confident in saying that Brees could have won with last years Steelers team.

It's not a black and white issue because so many factors go into winning a football game, and you also have to factor in competition at the time, who they run into, who is hot, etc.

Championships can enhance a QB's legacy, but they are not the be all/end all measurement of a quarterback's greatness.

kethnaab
07-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Is your friend kethnabb?

I'm a huge Dan Marino fan and believe he should be ranked 2nd all time right now behind Joe Montana. Not sure what you're trying to imply?

rings are part of it, as they signify leadership. They are PART of it.

there is far more to the discussion than that, however.

I'll play devil's advocate here and issue point-counterpoint here

"Statistics like passing yards and TD passes are more important than rings"

counterpoint - offensive systems are nearly as relevant as talent in determining passing yards and TD passes. Jon Kitna posted back-to-back 4000+ yard seasons playing with Detroit. He's neither talented, nor is Detroit a great team, but their offensive system certainly relied on the pass. In 2007, Ben Roethlisberger threw for 32 TD passes because Bruce Arians (Steelers OC) didn't push the issue regarding red zone offense and allowed his QB to do whatever he wanted. In 2008, the Steelers posted one of the lowest red zone efficiency ratings in the NFL, and they posted THE highest failure rate on runs inside the 5 yard line.

Some rhetorical questions regarding this

- Dan Fouts broke 4000 yards passing in 3 consecutive seasons, from 1980 through 1982, yet he never approached that in the 6 seasons prior nor the 6 seasons after. Why? Did he all of a sudden get way better those 3 years, and then forget how to play football?

- Prior to the 2007 season, Tom Brady had one season > 3800 yards, and never had > 28 TD passes in a season. In 2007, Brady threw for 4800 yards and 50 TDs. Why? Did he all of a sudden get way better?

- Warren Moon posted back-to-back seasons with > 4600 yards passing with the Oilers. He also posted back-to-back season with > 4200 yards passing with the Vikings. Other than those times, he never approached those numbers in his entire 17 year career. Why did he do so well in only a few seasons, and then he did significantly worse the other seasons?

-Jay Cutler threw for over 4000 yards last season, and Matt Cassel had, by all accounts, a stellar 1st season as a QB, yet most people are predicting them to fall far short of their 2008 numbers this season. Why?

- How much responsibility do RBs have in determining a QBs success? If Adrian Peterson had Peyton Manning in his backfield, would he face more or less challenge? If Tom Brady had Barry Sanders in his backfield, would he have had a more open field to pass?

How much responsibility does an offensive line have in determining the production a QB demonstrates? Cruddy offensive line = 0 time = no deep passes

just some rhetorical questions....food for thought, that type of thing

PatrickBateman1
07-22-2009, 07:09 AM
If you can't do anything other than look directly at how many rings a guy has won or look directly at a guy's stats, then you shouldn't even be talking about sports in the first place.

HumptyBrahh
07-22-2009, 10:03 AM
ask your buddy if he thinks brad johnson, trent dilfer, or eli manning (unfair since he is still young) are better than dan marino since they have won a super bowl and he didn't.
Lol I did ask him about Trent Dilfer actually. His response was "Trent Dilfer accomplished more in that season than Dan Marino did his whole career."

Elwood83
07-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Lol I did ask him about Trent Dilfer actually. His response was "Trent Dilfer accomplished more in that season than Dan Marino did his whole career."

You need new friends

SwagMorris
07-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Time to end your friendship. It's obvious your friends a dumbass. No telling what kind of **** he can get you into in the future.

anonymous123
07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Marino

/thread

beer n brats
07-22-2009, 11:02 AM

your friend needs to be shot

HumptyBrahh
07-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Imho, people who assess a quarterback's career solely by their rings is someone who doesn't know football, someone who just listens to what the media has to say and bases their opinions off that.