PDA

View Full Version : Should I just say f**k it and go for it?

Alyion
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Anyways first thread (and what a first!)

As you can guess, im currently HELLA skinny (6 feet 2 and 144 pounds, use to have an ed), and 21 years old and currently doing the stronglifts routine.

Obviously I wanna bulk up but I don't know if I should just go on a crazy rippetoe GOMAD-style bulk or try and keep a clean calorie surplus. I figure given the routine im on, coupled with my stats I could probably pull off a big 1-2 month bulk (putting on a good 3-4 pounds a week) and then simply lose the fat later - im frustrated at being so skinny.
The idea of drinking that much milk puts me off a full GOMAD (tbh i'd rather just eat a lot of whole foods, plus I would prob drink around a litre of milk inadvertenly a day anyway) and I would guess that i'd prob average a good 3.5/4k cal a day

On the other hand though I wanna gain more muscle than fat for obvious reasons so I don't know if such an idea will ultimately just be a waste of time in comparison to a 'clean' bulk

Opinions?

RealMenDeadLift
07-21-2009, 12:05 PM
There is nothing special about GOMAD, its just easy and cheap calories. If you'd rather eat whole foods do that. You are super skinny so don't be afraid to just eat a ton and bulk up.

Holyspokes
07-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Eat enough so that your gaining .5-1lb per week and your gold. That is all, do not concern yourself with drinking a Gallon of milk per day. Just eat food.

lucasrd
07-21-2009, 12:13 PM
yeah...at 6' 2'' 144lbs...eat food...

if you're coming off of an ED, just eat and lift...keeping track or trying to stick to a new meal plan might not be the way to go...

Nefariousx1
07-21-2009, 12:23 PM

if you're coming off of an ED, just eat and lift...keeping track or trying to stick to a new meal plan might not be the way to go...

I would say as the most logical action would to eat like a beast say 5k calories a day or more....do this by using Extra Virgin Olive Oil and peanutbutter...then once you got some more meat on you then do the 500 cals over maintenance a day and drop the excessive use of the EVOO and PB this way you still have your low calories per gram food...and you can stay full and happy

hooked4life
07-21-2009, 12:39 PM
It really sounds like you want to go from one extreme to the other. Best advice is just to take a step back and eat like everyone else has said in this thread.

Alyion
07-22-2009, 12:39 AM
thanks for the replies thus far guys, all I was really asking is that would having a large calorie excess ultimately give greater results than a "cleaner" bulk?

Sorry for bugging the hell outta this, I just wanna milk the program im on for all it's worth whilst I have the chance, and the routine im on (stronglifts) seems to give the impression that eating a load is better in the long run

IanR1205
07-22-2009, 12:51 AM
The more I ate on Stronglifts the easier my lifts progressed. Sure I put on some fat but it is worth it to me to keep lifting heavier each workout. Stalling on that program is a lot more frustrating than gainin a little fat.

In other words, eat and go for it.

andyfan692011
07-22-2009, 04:16 AM

I disagree. Coming off an eating disorder you may think you are binging if you eat 1 cup of oatmeal and a turkey sandwich. Keep track of your cals to make sure you are eating ENOUGH... I know you are really skinny right now, but I don't feel eating like a cow will really help. As was talked about above, try gaining no more than 1.5 pounds a week IMO... because you will gain some fat, and yeah you can maybe use some more fat on ya, but seriously who wants more fat? And no I don't feel eating 1200 over maintenance or something crazy like that is going to help your lifts... I think eating 500 cals over maintenance will be enough. If you are just coming off the eating disorder start adding calories back slowly don't just go all out 3800 right away because, your metabolism has slowed down. But if it has been a month or so and you have been eating normal lately I would suggest starting at 3200-3400 calories a day.., but track your progress... If you are not gaining much weight ( 1-1.5 pounds a week ) then eat a little more... If you are gaining any more than that then eat less. Simple... Track your progress and adjust accordingly.

ikillsuckers
07-22-2009, 04:42 AM
FOR THE OP i recently upped my cals from 3k to 4k cause i wasnt seeing sig. gains and in the weeks ive been doing so ive seen improvement body fat doesnt look to have gone up either i just feel bigger...... and i gained on my lifts

The Solution
07-22-2009, 05:14 AM
Eat enough so that your gaining .5-1lb per week and your gold. That is all, do not concern yourself with drinking a Gallon of milk per day. Just eat food.

Right here

Milk is just an easy way to take down calories.. eat food for the majority of your meals, and sip on milk between meals or have a glass with a meal.

the59sound
07-22-2009, 05:28 AM
OP...ive been there and I took the leap of faith and started bulking, went up from 1500 cals a day (ridiculous i know) to 2300 cals a day and now 2700 cals a day and let me tell you how much better i feel. Its important to track your calories for a few months to make sure you arent putting on to much fat (because itll cause you and me to have a mental melt down to watch fat pile on) but after that i promise you will see how much stronger and better you feel and now i only roughly track cals on my bulk and things are going great. best of luck, be strong, work hard.

Theenforcer1
07-22-2009, 06:02 AM
coming off of an eating disorder your body has ALOT of repairing to do. You have to focus on EATING. You will most likely put on more than a pound a week for the first couple of weeks as your internal organs repair themselves...

DO NOT restrict yourself. If you are hungry EAT. If you need any help feel free to PM me.