PDA

View Full Version : Caloric surplus or deficit

Nicholas727
07-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Hey, was 6'1 84 kg and basically all fat (total inactivty). I took up running and dropped that to 73kg (over a 5 month period), but of course I was still flabby due to a lack of strength training. So i've been lifting for approx 3 weeks, and ate more accordingly, raising my weight to 77kg in this time. My arms seem to look bigger, yet unfortunately as does my gut..

My question is, over a 3 month period would a caloric deficit or a caloric surplus garner the most significant improvement in my body fat %. Also, is it possible to gain muscle + strength while under a deficit?

Thanks for your help

trevatandy
07-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey, was 6'1 84 kg and basically all fat (total inactivty). I took up running and dropped that to 73kg (over a 5 month period), but of course I was still flabby due to a lack of strength training. So i've been lifting for approx 3 weeks, and ate more accordingly, raising my weight to 77kg in this time. My arms seem to look bigger, yet unfortunately as does my gut..

My question is, over a 3 month period would a caloric deficit or a caloric surplus garner the most significant improvement in my body fat %. Also, is it possible to gain muscle + strength while under a deficit?

Thanks for your help

I believe it is, people call it a recomp I think. I hear its just a snails pace though.

Nicholas727
07-21-2009, 09:18 AM
I'd assume since im a beginner i'd get more leeway with this 'recomp', and it wouldnt be at a snails pace? My lifts at the moment are pathetic!

patkoch
07-21-2009, 09:23 AM
For a begginer absolutley Start lifting, and learn abotu nutrition. Most importantly do not make drastic changes in your caloric intake. Slow and consistent changes are the way to go.

Nicholas727
07-22-2009, 04:50 AM
bump, 'My question is, over a 3 month period would a caloric deficit or a caloric surplus garner the most significant improvement in my body fat %.'

RideOn12
07-22-2009, 05:02 AM
You need to be in a deficit to lose weight. You're not going to lose anything in a surplus. You will gain muscle, and if you gain only muscle (or more muscle than fat), your body fat percentage will lower. I guess you could do it either way, but it's hard to direct you without knowing your bodyfat or how much muscle you have now.

Since you're a beginner, it is definitely possible to gain some muscle while losing fat. Fat will probably come off faster than muscle will go on, so you might be better in a deficit, but again, hard to say without knowing more.

the59sound
07-22-2009, 05:32 AM
For a begginer absolutley Start lifting, and learn abotu nutrition. Most importantly do not make drastic changes in your caloric intake. Slow and consistent changes are the way to go.

listen to this advice.

also if you look at yourself and know you dont have much muscle mass, I would eat around maintenance for a couple of months and lift hard and ease up on the running right now. See where that takes you in terms of how you look after that you can decide if you want to cut a few lbs of fat or just focus on mass building. If at that point you want to build mass start eating 250 cals over maintenance and up cals if you arent gaining strength in the gym/weight.