PDA

View Full Version : foods to bring to work

CurtisLowe
07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
im a LOCAL truck driver, i do not live in my truck and live on the road like people always assume lol

anyways, i work long hours, and i want to know some good foods i can bring to work that i can either keep in a lunchbox or keep in the fridge back at the terminal and microwave

now let me make it clear, i know those healthy choice, smart ones lean cuisines arent the best for you.....but they are much better then the fast food i was use to, and they are very convenient

and its not only about convenience, but also variety....im going to start eating alot of grilled chicken and fruits/vegetables, but the meals are actually pretty good and like i said there is more of a variety there

opinions on these?

5'9 236 lbs high body fat % dont have a number though

psaljoug
07-18-2009, 09:35 AM
leftovers

user46479497
07-18-2009, 12:29 PM
get one of those thermal lunch boxes that keep food cold. you can bring almost anything!
...chicken/turkey breast, whey shakes, cottage cheese, low sodium jerky, tuna, peanut butter, ezekiel toast, fruit etc. etc. etc.

stay clear of the processed lean cuisine type of stuff and stay clear of fast food on the go. i find the trick is to cook in bulk once or twice or a week and then everything is prepped and good to go.

CurtisLowe
07-18-2009, 08:50 PM
so how bad are the lean cuisine healthy choice type of meals?

the calories fat and protein arent bad but you all are the nutrition experts lol, what is it that makes them bad exactly? serious question

Nefariousx1
07-18-2009, 08:52 PM

the calories fat and protein arent bad but you all are the nutrition experts lol, what is it that makes them bad exactly? serious question

to my awareness all that is a lil iffy about them is the sodium levels...which to be honest is not the worst of things

FunkDaddy
07-18-2009, 08:58 PM

The main problem with them is all the additives they put into the food to keep it "fresh" on the shelves. It's really not a matter of weight loss/gain, but just overall health as to why I try to stay away from packaged food like that.

That and for the same amount of money I can almost always put together a better, tastier, more nutritious meal.

CurtisLowe
07-18-2009, 09:00 PM
ill give it a try, its just gonna be hard....i work 65+ hours a week and basically just work and sleep until the weekend

FunkDaddy
07-18-2009, 09:03 PM
ill give it a try, its just gonna be hard....i work 65+ hours a week and basically just work and sleep until the weekend

Weekend = make a sh*tload of food and freeze it for the week. Each night, pop one container in the fridge to defrost for the next. That's what I always did when I worked shift work, I always woke up just on the cusp of leaving on time to get to work in time lol. The one thing I miss about working at the hospital was the cafeteria, big microwave and ice/water machine. By lunch time I'd literally be downing 3 liters of water with my meal (sweaty job lol)

luckynunn
07-18-2009, 09:08 PM
To keep me satisfied, I'd just make a bunch of grilled chicken and keep it cold.
And I would make like 50 sandwiches and stuff them all into your lunchbox, and keep like a bunch of veggies with you, also in a plastic bag.

CurtisLowe
07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
lol 50 sandwiches

the grilled chicken i bought is really good....its .5g of fat 90 calories and 22g of protein and tastes pretty damn good

Mr.Blue
07-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Food Prep is the secret to quick healthy food on the go. If you get a few of the plastic pint containers (small wanton soup size), you can pre-cut a bunch of ingredients and keep tem in the fridge for quick use (chicken, tuna, onions, cucumbers, etc.). I also will grill 4-5 chicken breasts on the GF Grill. I'll put these in a container and keep them in the fridge.

You can use these cut into strips or cubes for salad. You can also precut the chicken and make "chicken fingers" to take on the road...even make your own dip sauce.

bags of frozen mixed veggies...GREAT TIME SAVER! you can easily throw these into the GF grill for a quick cook. PB sandwiches (on whole wheat) are a personal favorite of mine.

the possibilities are endless...