PDA

View Full Version : question on sodium

JC704NC
07-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody in here watch their sodium intake and if so, how much sodium a day is too much?

thanks all,

jason

GiambiFan
07-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Unless you have heart problems or your family has a grotesque history of heart problems, "watching your sodium" is quite futile. Or if your obessed with water retention.

Regardless, sodium is a vital nutrient our body needs.

As for too much check out google.com.

Fix-it-Up
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
2300mg/day max

kthxbai
07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
2300mg/day max

lolwhy?

UCFBuilder
07-15-2009, 09:16 PM
unless ur a week out from a show or u have heart problems there is no need to watch ur sodium intake...dont go drowning urself in salt tho....if ur worried about the water retention from too much sodium tho..just drink more water..problem solved

Fix-it-Up
07-15-2009, 09:18 PM
lolwhy?

High sodium intake cause high blood pressure. You don't want your heart's beat 1000mph every minute don't you.

psaljoug
07-15-2009, 09:19 PM
just to clarify.. sodium and salt are not the same thing

salt is only 40% sodium

Fix-it-Up
07-15-2009, 09:22 PM
just to clarify.. sodium and salt are not the same thing

salt is only 40% sodium

The other 60% is chloride :-)

bdun
07-15-2009, 09:28 PM
While there has been some research that it is just important to focus on the ratio of potassium/sodium, this isn't something you should "just ignore" unless you have serious existing issues... I think some people are just affected more by sodium in relation to BP levels.

High BP is bad not just due to the strain on your heart. The main issue is the stress of high BP on arteries. It can cause scarring which in turn can lead to easy places for plaque to build up.

Sodium IS needed to live, excess sodium is not. I don't think the OP is thinking about cutting out all sodium. There are some debates on how much sodium really effects blood pressure, and I don't really have an answer to that. I would never suggest for someone to completely ignore their sodium intake unless they feel like they are at very high risk for heart issues.