PDA

View Full Version : How do u get deal with people like this?

AntoineDufour
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Well I am tryin to build up my compound and I squat like 120 3x5 atm. I know I will get up eventually but IT SUCKS. When I go... sometimes there is this guy. He squats 360 when I struggle with 120. The other day I know for sure he was watching my squats. He seems like a powerlifter to me, because he squats lots and well he deff isn't a bodybuilder. He is fat but strong. I feel weak...next to guys like this. I guess my motivation to deal with people like this so far is.. people like jfindon. Im not starting off like him, but I feel like a weakling. How do you deal with people like this? When I was deadlifting, I saw one of the guys with him giving me a look. My goal is to lift more then them.. or at least close to as much.

Canuck5056
07-15-2009, 08:53 PM
You are the only person in the gym. **** everyone else. Be so focused on your training that you don't even notice anyone else in there.

Besides that, everyone starts somewhere. Do you think that guy walked into the gym for the very first time and squatted 360? Not a chance.

Just go about your business and don't give a **** about anyone else in there. It's just you and the bar.

masterspaz
07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
if they are really bothering you then go to a corner or somewhere quiet and less crowded so you can focus because you know you will beat em eventually

o if that doesnt work, bring your guitar and start playing catching the light or something

AntoineDufour
07-15-2009, 10:52 PM
well i do focus but its annoying. I hate some of the people there. Some squat 360 and others are like, don't squat too heavy u will hurt yourself.

Junkie2
07-15-2009, 11:34 PM
self confidence brah.

who cares about anyone else in the gym?

SoCalSurf
07-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Stay at it man. Use it for motivation, otherwise it will drag you down from your potential.

Remember, many of the people you see in the gym had to overcome the same things when they started out.

jewellgr
07-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Most serious lifters are in theyre in their own world, usually those dudes are hoping youre watching and will be impressed if anything.

I respect anyone who is willing to come to gym and bust their butt on a consistent basis no matter what theyre lifting.

ruds55
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Just remember the time their wasting looking at you you're using to catch up to them. Just keep your eyes forward and your mind in the game.

spicytunaroll
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I have never once looked at a guy who lifts less than me as subpar or funny. I am only happy for them that they are there trying to better themselves. When i train, the only thing I hear is the music on my ipod. I pretty much stare at myself in the mirror and observe my form. Occasionally I am aware, for a fleeting moment, of those around me. Eventually, you just won't give a %$#^ about the others in the gym. Get in, work toward your goals, get out. In time, people will be intimidated by you if you are training, resting and eating right.

Requisite 101
07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Use it as motivation.

I doubt they're picking on you in any aspect...view them as your audience if it bothers you that much. I remotely compete with this other guy in my gym, just a means to push harder. 95% of the people in my gym are humble, so it's in all good clean meaning. Hey, they might even be applauding you for busting your *ss, you never know.

Act as if they are doubting you, hoping for you to fail, this in the end, will make you push harder and reach your goals faster.

If this fails, ignore them all together.

AnthonyBishop
07-16-2009, 12:28 PM
too many people put way too much focus on the amount of weight. lifting a lot is impressive but it is only a piece of the puzzle. Don't let it mess with u man, its just your ego giving u a hard time (and most of us guys experience this to some extent). Overtime you will be able to leave these types of issues behind you and be able to focus on yourself and your goals. Eventually the guy who had the body you wished you had, or the guy who lifted as much as you wanted to won't appear as impressive anymore (especially once you start making progress).

Mateo74
07-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Just realize everyone has a starting point and they did too. I too am absolutely weak on legs but I know one day it will get there. You can get there too just remember FORM OVER EGO.

Dan O Mac
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Serious lifters know how hard the journey is and most will respect you straight away for getting your ass in the gym and trying to improve yourself. The others don't matter, ignore their kind like you would anywhere else in your life. You're doing this for you. The positive feelings of progress and achievement that you'll carry over into the rest of your life FAR outweigh any fears of self-consciousness.

Just keep your head up and look within for approval.

Ajk_Lpool
07-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Well I am tryin to build up my compound and I squat like 120 3x5 atm. I know I will get up eventually but IT SUCKS. When I go... sometimes there is this guy. He squats 360 when I struggle with 120. The other day I know for sure he was watching my squats. He seems like a powerlifter to me, because he squats lots and well he deff isn't a bodybuilder. He is fat but strong. I feel weak...next to guys like this. I guess my motivation to deal with people like this so far is.. people like jfindon. Im not starting off like him, but I feel like a weakling. How do you deal with people like this? When I was deadlifting, I saw one of the guys with him giving me a look. My goal is to lift more then them.. or at least close to as much.

if anything i'm sure these guys have respect for you for doing a compound lift like squats and not pussying out like the rest of the gym. I know myself that i've always got admiration for a guy who's standing in the squat rack on his own with a light weight, concentrating on getting his form and technique correct, not playing on his phone or looking aroun at others.

Envsion yourself as a success and it will come to you. believe me. Do what it takes to get there. You know the work you have to put in so what are you worried about?

relobe
07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
it really doesnt matter and shouldnt bother you but thats for you to decide. I have met very few people who care what others lift, unless its really impressive or something.

something to think about: it'll take you maybe a few months to double your current lifts probably. Then you'll be only increasingly stronger for the rest of your lifting days. You will hardly remember these days in a year from now.

Rick1824
07-18-2009, 05:57 AM

I think you may be reading more into it and focusing on it as a negative. There are always going to be people there who lift more than you, or are bigger and that you're going to view as being better than you. There are also going to be people there who lift less than you, and view you as being better at things than they are. If you're in a gym, unless you're the only one there, there is always going to be someone, somewhere who is going to be watching you at some point.

These people who have obviously caught your attention...have you ever gone up to them and introduced yourself, or possibly asked them for tips/pointers as to how you can better reach your goals?

geoff.lu
07-18-2009, 12:31 PM
you ask him for a spot .... show him that you are not scare of him and you give a ****

vompy
07-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Who cares. Everyone has to start somewhere. As long you keep your goal in mind. Just keeping thinking one day you'll get there.

the59sound
07-18-2009, 03:01 PM
you ask him for a spot .... show him that you are not scare of him and you give a ****

im 155 and not very strong and I was getting self concious in the gym and decided to do just this while benching and since then all the serious lifters in the gym have become great friends and taught me lots and my gains started coming quicker. this is great advice op you should be friendly and show mutual respect and if they are worth the time they will show you it back

wrecking_ball
07-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Most people who have work out seriously aren't standing around judging peoples lifts. Its not really important what anyone else lifts, maybe they are wanting to give you a form tip or something though. Approaching people in the gym is sometimes not appropriate to some as an unwritten rule as where others will just wander on up. Its all I can assume man because when I see someone doing say 95 pounds on a bench press I never hear anyone call them weak.

Let me say it like this, your looking for a workout partner, who do you want?

The guy who can squat 225 for 3 reps above parallel with his knees collapsing in every rep shaking.

Or the guy who goes down deep with 135 for 8 reps controlling his decent driving power out of his heels making a solid consistent push up to the top of each repetition?

Your the bottom guy, and thats who anyones going to choose to be around in a weight room.

Peace Get Busy
07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
You are the only person in the gym. **** everyone else. Be so focused on your training that you don't even notice anyone else in there.

Besides that, everyone starts somewhere. Do you think that guy walked into the gym for the very first time and squatted 360? Not a chance.

Just go about your business and don't give a **** about anyone else in there. It's just you and the bar.
**** yeah!! that's the attitude right there! take heed, OP.

Dusan_GR
07-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I saw one of the guys with him giving me a look.

wtf? why would you even care about this?

roman209
07-18-2009, 06:21 PM
New people to the gym are always like this because they are concerned that people will judge them for doing whatever they are doing.

Just focus on your training and you will eventually stop caring.

Nefariousx1
07-18-2009, 06:24 PM

this is the best advice other than getting in your own zone...if he watches you and you make a polite gesture of "I know your looking at me fatty" such as asking for a spot you will get mad respect and if he lifts correctly maybe you can get some pointers..

Lowrie92
07-18-2009, 06:32 PM
I do know what you mean, my legs are WAY behind my upper body as well. But im not trying to impress anyone else in the gym, as far as im concerned, im in there alone, just me and the weight. Just think about it like this, you can either keep doing the right weight for you no matter how light it is, andin a couple months your legs will be bigger, and alot stronger. Or you can up the weight while sacrificing form, and in a couple months youll be using that exact same weight, with poor form.

NoFace525
07-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Quality > Quantity

You go to the gym for you bro! Lot of great replies ITT. I used to think that I could lift a lot until I actualy got with a serious lifter and he showed me how to get a great workout and seeing results using a third of the weight I was using before.

fngJD
07-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Maybe you are just thinking the worst? They could be thinking something like, 'Good for him.' Sometimes your own thoughts are your worst enemy.

Big Natural
07-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Serious lifters know how hard the journey is and most will respect you straight away for getting your ass in the gym and trying to improve yourself. The others don't matter, ignore their kind like you would anywhere else in your life. You're doing this for you. The positive feelings of progress and achievement that you'll carry over into the rest of your life FAR outweigh any fears of self-consciousness.

This.

Big guys don't mind how much you are lifting, as long as you do it with a drive to become stronger they are not going to care how much weight you are lifting.

I can remember when I just started out, I felt like the biggest weakest n00b. Everyone treated me that way and that angered me so much I decided to become the biggest mofo of the gym as quick as possible.

cawiau
07-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Just keep pushing!

I started at over 335 lbs squatting 95 lbs!
Now I am 265 lbs and did a new PR yesterday at 505 X 4

Took me 4 years... but I did it! ;)

naturalplayer
07-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I used to feel like you... I was young (16) went to the gym and had 95lbs fall on my chest. I weighed 96lbs. I worked hard and didn't give up and less than a year later I was taking 1st place at every powerlifting meet I entered. Iweighed 132lbs, was benching more than 250 and was able to go in the gym and busy those "bigger" guys balls. Within 3 years I was benching 285 for reps, squatting 405, and deadlifting 420. They would be struggling to bench 225 for 3 and I would ask to work in and pretend I didn't know how much it was and then rip out 6 haha... it was great.

Lifterforlife10
07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Just go into the gym and lift. I despise the fact that so many people only care about how much you lift, when in reality they should respect the fact that you are going to the gym in the first place and busting your rear to improve and work. Everyone at my age group particularly always ask how much can you bench (only exercise they friggin do) and I just respond by saying who cares. Everyone starts somewhere and how much you lift doesn't matter as long as you are working your hardest. Ignore those that appear to be judging you, instead focus on improving and working on your lifts.

TheLefty
07-20-2009, 11:25 AM

crack your music on man, zone out, focus on the task at hand which is to shift some weight!

who cares whos looking at you? theres only one job to be done when u walk in that place!!

Vise09
07-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Chin Up, MP3/phone Volume Max and press play On Eye of the Tiger

^^

localstommy
07-20-2009, 10:35 PM
To tell you the truth, i agree with everyone. Use it as a motivation. And thats how man, when I 1st started too I use to be self concious on how people look at me when I was small. They would look at me lifting the weight. I was 120 pound skinny when I started. Now im 165 pound fit and muscular! They still have the belly's while I have the abs and the ladies. hahah! But yeah man keep training. And you will get so use to it. Like there not even there. Its you in the GYM and only you! If you really got a problem when they stare at you slam the weights down and go "WHATT!!!" haha. Keep uup the hard work and dont let anyone bother you!!

roman209
07-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Maybe he is staring at you because its the first time he has seen someone else squatting...

hankst
07-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Chin Up, MP3/phone Volume Max and press play On Eye of the Tiger

^^

I can't concur. Rather, play:

VleXZos_3T8

More serious: just mind your own business in the gym; if you can't focus on yourself you might take away injuries, and you don't want that (or you will never be as big as the bigger guy staring at you ;)).

Vise09
07-21-2009, 04:48 AM
oooh adding that to my playlist :D

Drekkor
07-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Well I am tryin to build up my compound and I squat like 120 3x5 atm. I know I will get up eventually but IT SUCKS. When I go... sometimes there is this guy. He squats 360 when I struggle with 120. The other day I know for sure he was watching my squats. I guess my motivation to deal with people like this so far is.. people like jfindon. Im not starting off like him, but I feel like a weakling. How do you deal with people like this? When I was deadlifting, I saw one of the guys with him giving me a look.

The issue is you, not him. You're judging yourself and externalizing that by pushing what you think of yourself on others when it has nothing to do with them. There's nothing wrong with the truth, and that truth is you struggle with 120 lbs, accept it and how you feel about it then reconcile with where you wish to be. After that, the path of resolution becomes clear.

This is the same process that others go through to get 'strong' and you'll find most often they'd be the last ones in the gym to bash or belittle you. Next time, swallow your pride and ask them for advice, a five-minute conversation will do wonders to dispell this false perception of reality you've created.

gl

DopeEfX
07-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Youre there for yourself. No one else. Concentrate on the task at hand and **** everything else. Put on your headphones, blast some sick ass music and get to work. **** everyone else. PERIOD!

Gordon Bombay
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
TBH, I'd respect someone like yourself moreso than some big dude who does chest and arms 4 days a week.

mycoolhamm
07-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Just remember the time their wasting looking at you you're using to catch up to them. Just keep your eyes forward and your mind in the game.

yeah dude. i used to look down on people that were weaker than me(highschool) but now i just look down on people that are not in the gym.

CROSSBERG
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm suprised nobody has said "check your ego at the door" yet, obviously you are at the gym to make yourself better in some way... **** everyone else.

Man I struggled with 10 reps at 95lbs when I started last year. I'm doing 10 reps of 225 now, I'm stronger than most people there.... so ****ing what. The point is don't stop til you are 100% satisified, and being stronger than everyone else doesn't mean that I'm going to stop pushing myself to get stronger.

And for the record I am way more impressed to see the weakest, scrawniest people in the gym because I was the same way once.

TheLimit
07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
if anything i'm sure these guys have respect for you for doing a compound lift like squats and not pussying out like the rest of the gym. I know myself that i've always got admiration for a guy who's standing in the squat rack on his own with a light weight, concentrating on getting his form and technique correct, not playing on his phone or looking aroun at others.

Envsion yourself as a success and it will come to you. believe me. Do what it takes to get there. You know the work you have to put in so what are you worried about?

quoted for der mother F'ing troof!

just remember, when you see a huge guy, he wasnt born like that and he had to start from scratch like everyone else. he just got a head start on you. but do your best and keep on going untill youre happy with YOUR results.

AlphaBrass01
07-22-2009, 05:27 AM

Who cares. Everyone has to start somewhere. As long you keep your goal in mind. Just keeping thinking one day you'll get there.

These are exactly right! I started in the gym at 280 lbs (probably very little of it being muscle). I couldn't lift much at all, and I still can't compared to people like the guy mentioned in the original post, but I'm making progress toward my goals. How else can you get to be "that guy?" There's no other option - train hard and push forward, and do it for YOU.

AntoineDufour
07-22-2009, 11:31 AM
thanks guys... really , well i went from squatting 90 to 125 with perfect form in only a few weeks. Im not small. But my legs lack big time obviously. My arms are not bad, I can curl 35-40 lb dumbells. I am increasing by 5 in my compounds instead of 10 so I can keep good form. This is working out much better imo. Also i had little trouble with deadlifting more then 200, cuz I use gloves so it was not a good grip. Im resetting a bit, and going without gloves. Hopefully I can improve my grip. Bench went from 50 to 70 in a few weeks. Not including bar of course. I hope later this year I can be squatting at least 200. My goal is to squat 300+

I used to make excuses, to avoid squatting and deadlifting and all that ****. I had a rough start had to reset and increase more slowly but now Im increasing each week with great form, and isn't that the purpose of it? I learned to not increase too much and form is way more important.

daehoon04
07-23-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't want to come across as being rude, but quit being insecure. When I first started hitting the gym back in 2007 I wasn't even able to bench 95 and I didn't have any idea how to squat. Everyone starts somewhere and if you're consistent you will only improve.

AndrewCa
07-23-2009, 03:32 PM
It's part of lifting weights.. You got to start somewhere bro. I remember when I started. I was Flat DB pressing 30's, now 95's...Don't worry about that guy.... Stay focus and lift hard and you'll get stronger..

AntoineDufour
07-23-2009, 05:21 PM
thanks guys improving each week now soon enough Ill be squatting more then those guys anyway

mcgruff40
07-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Use them looking down on you to further your ambitions and allow it to let you train hard, to become even BETTER than them.

Never let anyone tell you that you can't.

AntoineDufour
07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
do u count the bar for all lifts? if so i can add 45 to each 1 so in reality i squat 150+ bench 120+ deadlift 230+ never counted bar usually but I heard you should. What do you guys do?

excelguru
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
You know, those guys could be looking at you thinking to themselves, "Good for him. I was there once."

chirppy82
07-27-2009, 07:51 PM

^^^^this. Are you there to better yourself?, or to try and compete with guys who have obviously been doing it longer than you and more than likely have different goals also........... Just do your own thing. Use those chunky bastards strength as a goal for yourself, dont let it slow your progression.

ronnie0072
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
when I lift i couldnt tell you what 5 people looked like that are in the gym. Put a hat on over your eyes and pump f uckin metallica on your ipod. Oh and BTW even if you get to squatting 360 it will never be enough. you will always want more. Just enjoy the ride and look in the mirror every once in a while to enjoy your gains

ronnie0072
07-27-2009, 08:39 PM
count the bar! its 45lbs brah!

do u count the bar for all lifts? if so i can add 45 to each 1 so in reality i squat 150+ bench 120+ deadlift 230+ never counted bar usually but I heard you should. What do you guys do?

get_some_guns
07-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. They started somewhere too. Actually you should be glad that they pay attention to you. There will come a day when you try and throw some weight you shouldn't without a spotter and get in a bind.

AntoineDufour
07-27-2009, 09:56 PM
good since the bar counts im happy bout to go for 180 lb squat tommorow... 140+45

i did 135 last time with kinda difficulty BUT i ate tons and plan on sleeping tons tonight so I WILL do 180.

excelguru
07-28-2009, 05:15 AM
...so I WILL do 180.

THAT'S the right attitude!!

jc2801
07-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Just remember your going to the gym to better yourself not showoff to anyone. I know how you feel cause at times I feel that way as well, but your there to get bigger and stronger....What I think when I feel like that is i can do 2 things: A) Go home and stay the same size/strength I am now because of the way people are looking at me or ignore them and keep working my a$$ off because its something I want to do and one day look back at and see that 'Hard work does pay off'.

AntoineDufour
07-28-2009, 02:52 PM
well today was annoying i couldnt squat well cuz of a little strain so did only some sets like 185 3 reps 180 3 reps 170 5 reps 160 5 reps and b4 that a bunch of warmup.

I am going to do light with more reps for 1-2 days to heal the slight pain.

Bench was 120 which sadly is a max for me . I did them in the squat rack area and used the safety bars to well be safe. Deadlifts went awesome. I did 135 for warmup then 205 for another warmup then 1 set of 255 5 reps. Deadlifts werent incredibly heavy but they were my new max.

I think the guys , when they see me again won't look down on me. Improving is key and I am improving. The only reason squats were messed up is because 1 week i went 10 pounds heavier then i expected...equaling going up in 15 pounds. Obviously it caused alittle discomfort, but I am going to reset to 175 and go back up 5 pounds each week with perfect form.. and hopefully get rid of this slight strain in leg.

AntoineDufour
07-30-2009, 02:40 PM
WHAT SHOULD I do about slight pain from squatting. It feels annoying by the hip groin area. Left side only. Hurts only when going up. Should I do leg press till its better? I can't squat light even 140 pounds was even painful.

AntoineDufour
07-30-2009, 07:58 PM
well i read up on it.. i think its prob with my hip flexors.. so im gonna narrow stance and do stretches for hip flexors each time now. I hope it help cuz I sure don't wanna stop squatting.

mmabuzzsaw
07-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Commitment, not strength is how you get respect. Keep going to the gym. Stick to your training schedule and hit the gym even on the days its 40 below outside. Demonstrate your heart.

You can't control your genes or your starting point. You can control how badly you want it. Want It.

Jattfusion
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM

i dont understant why do more and more people fall for peer pressure/intimidated. If the guy is fat and strong all u need to do is find one exercise that will make him tick lol workout that u excell in. It could be and ab workout or ur intensity. Its all about the intensity how well u do each workout. If the guy is a po werlifter like u said he is.. then he must take huge ammounts of breaks. Worry about the time and what ur next workout will be and dont get initimidated by others. Only reason ur made this thread is because u lack focus. If u were totally focused u wouldnt even notice any1 else in the gym.. staring lookin at ur moves and sht like that. It goes both ways.. u notice soem1 staring only if u stare back at them lol. call it a double edge sword. Like i said focus on the time it takes u to do each set.. the time ur resting. You just need one distractiong to kill another. Look at the hot chics in the gym (provided u have some lol) Try keeping ur mind always focused in ur workout routine. as in u could look at good (ones that are totally zoned in their own workouts) weight lifters in the gym. Pick up positives and look at their form. Little things can go a long way. More you feed to their intimidation... more u will worry abotu just 2 guys at the gym and not ur own workout or ur goals. It will just come down to this.. ur trying to impress those 2 guys not urself.

AirborneMP78
08-01-2009, 06:10 AM

Lots of good advice. I would agree with most everyone else. Don't get wrapped up in someone else. Everyone, that regularly goes to the gym, is trying to improve themselves.

edinahockey
08-01-2009, 06:41 AM
i usually just throw small dumbells at them until they leave, then i squat

but that's just my thing

THUNDERGOD
08-01-2009, 11:50 AM

I agree, these guys started out like everyone else did, Canuck is absolutely right. Stay at it and work hard, consistancy is the key to success at the gym, keep on going!!

AntoineDufour
08-02-2009, 12:32 PM
fixed squat hip flexor pain problem. Narrowed stance somewhat and back to squatting. Did 175 instead of 180 . Bench is up to 120-125. Deadlifted 265 1 set of 5 reps. Since i removed the gloves my deadlifting has gone up and not felt like crap grip.

CoachHunter
08-04-2009, 05:47 AM
I have never once looked at a guy who lifts less than me as subpar or funny. I am only happy for them that they are there trying to better themselves. When i train, the only thing I hear is the music on my ipod. I pretty much stare at myself in the mirror and observe my form. Occasionally I am aware, for a fleeting moment, of those around me. Eventually, you just won't give a %$#^ about the others in the gym. Get in, work toward your goals, get out. In time, people will be intimidated by you if you are training, resting and eating right.

Damn right, we all started out small at one point. There are alot of fat guys at my gym wasting time with forearm curls while their wastes continually expand, but at least they're at the gym. i don't look down on them cause they don't put up weight like me, i applaud them for at least making an effort. If you are at the gym to improve your body then you are there for the right reasons, if you are there to make friends and be social you'll never reach your goals and always feel insecure around the guys that are there for a purpose.

mvbalilia
08-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Hey when I first entered my gym, I just didn't care about anybody else but myself. Don't get distracted by heavy lifters and noisy grunters around you. Just do your own thing and be proud of who you are and what you are doing. When there are newcomers in our gym, they usually either feel insecure of how they look or feel weak because of the amount of weight they are lifting. It really doesn't matter at all. We all started from the bottom and we are all striving to reach a higher level. I myself am proud seeing guys lifting weights because they themselves want to improve themselves and that is pretty motivational in itself. It actually keeps me hungry to tell you the truth.

DoomMetalDarryl
08-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Damn right, we all started out small at one point. There are alot of fat guys at my gym wasting time with forearm curls while their wastes continually expand, but at least they're at the gym. i don't look down on them cause they don't put up weight like me, i applaud them for at least making an effort. If you are at the gym to improve your body then you are there for the right reasons, if you are there to make friends and be social you'll never reach your goals and always feel insecure around the guys that are there for a purpose.

When I see someone more athletic than me kicking ass, I use that as motivation, because some day *I* will be able to do that, too. We should respect any and all of us who walk through that gym door who wants to do better.

I've been one of those self-conscious fat guys. So, I used to be friendly to everyone. Smile and say Hey. Most everyone gives cold stares back or they look down. WTF is that all about? They all act like I'm going to stab them or something.

There's a difference between being social and being sociable. YES, it's annoying when people stand around in the way and talk like they're in a knitting circle. But giving someone a friendly NOD and a HEY MAN isn't going to sabotage your goals. In fact, I contend that a friendly atmosphere improves motivation. So, why is everyone so scared to death of each other in the gym?

The key is to have a bigger life than the gym, so you can get the self-confidence to feel more comfortable around other people and not be afraid of what people will think about you which is why people can't be sociable.

Like, "I can't lift what that guy lifted. That's ok, I'll keep coming to the gym and eventually I'll get to his level! Oh, and I need to work on that guitar solo when I get home and then play with my dog."

LILpainLILgain
08-06-2009, 08:19 AM

Hey i think you got your motivation. OUTLIFT THEM BASTARDS

AntoineDufour
08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
well i didnt count bar for long time.. i squat in reality 180 3sets of 5

bench 122.5 3 sets of 5 and deadlift 275 1 set of 5 which isn't that bad..

AntoineDufour
08-17-2009, 06:23 PM
did 185 on squats ..were difficult but I used perfect form. Bench was hard did 130 1 set 127.5 other 2 sets. deadlifted 285 2 reps and 275 4 reps

chmbs1
08-17-2009, 08:00 PM
OP:

When I started lifting I was tall and gangly and I struggled to get the 35lb. dumbbells for reps on the dumbbell press. There were guys there who were two to three times stronger than me and I envied them. But you know what? I never, ever told myself that I would never be as strong as them. Quite the opposite. Now I am among the biggest and strongest guys at my gym and if I see a guy who is genuinely pushing himself and working hard I'll try to be friendly to him. Guys like you motivate me to keep going, because there are times I feel like giving up. Even big guys get discouraged.

puntoboy
08-18-2009, 04:29 AM
there is a group of powerlifters in my gym think they own the place spoken to a couple on few occasions but a lot of time i see them watching a feel judged, use to bother me now i think fook them! does bug me a little becuase they will talk to most others off their own back but if i was to get a conversation out of them i have to force it out of them.

but hey im there for better reasons than conversations so head down get it done