PDA

View Full Version : Energy Drink A Day? Health Affects?

.ridiculous
07-15-2009, 12:03 PM
What are the health affects of an energy drink a day? it will be my only source of caffeine. I like drinking them because they are refreshing to me. Why are energy drinks bad for you anyway? is it because its 200mg of caffeine?

Kataz
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
What are the health affects of an energy drink a day? it will be my only source of caffeine. I like drinking them because they are refreshing to me. Why are energy drinks bad for you anyway? is it because its 200mg of caffeine?

in for answer!

Own3r
07-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Depends on the energy drink, red bull or rockstar seem to be perfectly fine in my books, But if you drink Spike every day your heart will hate you, the thing is like amphetamines in a can.

MikessekiM
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I did some research on this because I am an avid avid energy fan. I was drinking 2+ a day for a while before I took a reality check. I usually drink low-carb monsters or sugar free rockstars. Caffeine wise, if it doesnt mess with you then it should be fine. I heard that the citric acid is what people need to be concerned about. I dont know though, I drink one a day more often then not

MikessekiM
07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Depends on the energy drink, red bull or rockstar seem to be perfectly fine in my books, But if you drink Spike every day your heart will hate you, the thing is like amphetamines in a can.

Yeah agreed, Spike is risky **** if you ask me.

.ridiculous
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
never tried spike. i tried cocaine once though.

i like monster lo carbs. bout to buy a 24 pack at costco haha

ptflyforatallguy
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Here is and interesting article i found on the effects of prolonged consumption of high amounts of caffeine from energy drinks. interesting enough there are no articles that talk about the potential health hazards of extremely high b-vitamin consumption in association with energy drinks.

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/energy-drink-health-risk-warnings-1161/

MikessekiM
07-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Here is and interesting article i found on the effects of prolonged consumption of high amounts of caffeine from energy drinks. interesting enough there are no articles that talk about the potential health hazards of extremely high b-vitamin consumption in association with energy drinks.

it's because most of those b-vitamins are water soluble....right?

wendel34
07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I was drinking 4-5 Sobe No Fear Sugar Free's a day. At $3.00 a can it added up. Pepsi stopped making it and i couldn't find anything else to compared to Sobe. I stopped drinking caffeen and started back pn just water with Sugar Free Kool-aid. Allot cheaped and I have more energy now then i did before. I went throught caffeen withdrawl really bad for about 5 days but feel great now.

ptflyforatallguy
07-15-2009, 07:28 PM
it's because most of those b-vitamins are water soluble....right?

Arsenic is water soluble and can be found in trace amounts in apricot pits and various other foods we ingest, but in such low concentrations it has no effect. B-vitamins do play a critical role in metabolic functions but also effect many neurological receptors and various other mechanisms in the body. The amounts present in some energy drinks is well beyond what is necessary but nothing like this has had such a large dose of B-vitamins in the past with such high consumption rates so much is not known about the effects of chronic overdosing for extended periods.

Opies
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM

"In August 2008, a study conducted by the Cardiovascular Research Centre at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Australia found that energy drinks could increase the risk of strokes and heart attacks. According to the research, even consuming one can of the caffeinated energy drink Red Bull could cause the blood to become sticky, increasing the risk of clotting."

sounds very credible ;)

Opies
07-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Arsenic is water soluble and can be found in trace amounts in apricot pits and various other foods we ingest, but in such low concentrations it has no effect. B-vitamins do play a critical role in metabolic functions but also effect many neurological receptors and various other mechanisms in the body. The amounts present in some energy drinks is well beyond what is necessary but nothing like this has had such a large dose of B-vitamins in the past with such high consumption rates so much is not known about the effects of chronic overdosing for extended periods.

I think you are confusing arsenic with hydrocyanic glycosides; it's the 'cyanide' found in the pits of many fruits (apples, cherries, peaches, plums, aprikot, nectarine, tangerine...) It can't kill you either, btw.

In terms of b-vitamins... well they are pretty hard to overdose being water-soluble.... chronic intake = chronic b-vitamin piss. Might be hard on the kidneys, but if you have kidney problems, energy drinks are already bad enough

ptflyforatallguy
07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I think you are confusing arsenic with hydrocyanic glycosides; the 'cyanide' found in the pits of many fruits (apples, cherries, peaches, plums, aprikot, nectarine, tangerine...) It can't kill you either, btw.

In terms of b-vitamins... well they are pretty hard to overdose being water-soluble.... chronic intake = chronic b-vitamin piss. Might be hard on the kidneys, but if you have kidney problems, energy drinks are already bad enough

Yes it is cyanide sorry for the misinformation. but the previous study is credible and just because they place the findings into relative terms doesn't make it any less so. and "sticky" is in reference to the blood thickening due to dehydration which can lead to a heart attack or stroke because the high concentration of blood platelet and hemoglobin.

Money Shot
07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
energy drinks give me the worst crashes ive ever experienced. ive sworn them off 2 years ago when i wasnt able to study in college when taking them

.ridiculous
07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
what in the energy drink causes the stickyness?

ptflyforatallguy
07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
what in the energy drink causes the stickyness?

lol.

bodydropcris
07-17-2009, 02:27 PM
me and my boss bought a pallet of energy drinks... one day i drank 3 24 oz in like 10 hours.. i thought i was going to die...

bdun
07-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Man right around my freshman year of college was when they started really doing the double (16oz) energy drinks. I remember thinking at the time that drinking one of those at once was a lot of caffeine. I can't imagine that the strain of significant doses of caffeine every day for an extended period is good for your heart/body.

This isn't completely relevant but today I tested my average resting HR throughout the day while taking a sample of Syntrax Fyre. On average my HR has been around 20bpm higher than on a normal day (resting HR, 83 vs 55 average taken once every 3 hours). I would imagine energy drinks have a similar effect.

.ridiculous
07-18-2009, 12:59 PM
lol.

i can't see the lol. what causes the blood stickyness?

ptflyforatallguy
07-18-2009, 04:56 PM
i can't see the lol. what causes the blood stickyness?

sorry, I thought you were being facetious. the "stickiness" is from dehydration in conjunction with higher than normal blood glucose concentration making the plasma too congealed to flow appropriately and adhering to the lining of the endothelial tissue of the arteries and veins.

blurrr
07-18-2009, 05:01 PM

do you have chicken legs or something? How are you only 245, you are a monster lol

ptflyforatallguy
07-18-2009, 05:06 PM
do you have chicken legs or something? How are you only 245, you are a monster lol

yes, yes i do.... lol

no man i maintain low BF%; my current stats need to be updated because i just had a DXA scan and registered at a little over 11%

Krique
07-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Some people swear by taking caffeine before doing cardio.