PDA

View Full Version : getting up in the morning

outofshapeguy
07-14-2009, 11:40 AM
just wanted to say i have lots of motivations for getting myself in shape. i can come here and looks at peoples progress, look at some random fat guy walking down the street and tell myself i dont want to be like that...several other things. the problem is how do you guys keep this stuff on your mind? its especially tough for me in the mornings. ill admit im a late sleeper, on my days off i dont get up until 11 in the morning. my workdays i ussally get up at 7:45ish although i SHOULD be getting up at 6:45, but it so damn hard when your so comfortable under that blanket. LOL. i resumed my ripptoe program after about a month layoff last nigth and feel asleep quickly at around 12:30. woke up at 7:00am, planned to eat breakfast but fell back to sleep and missed it. this kind of throws my whole day off because i planned on ironing my clothes, making breakfast and preparing snacks/lunch for the day at work. instead i woke up at 7:50, threw on a tshirt and havent eaten anything all morning.

i think if i were to think about my motivations the second i wake up i would most likely get my ass outta bed at 6:45 and start my day off but lets face it, when your alarm clock goes off your not thinking about bodybuilding, your thinking about not wanting the comfort of your bed unless you have to. any advice or recommendations? ive been really sleepy/tired all day here at work, more so then normal. im not sure if it is the fact that i just start working out again last night or what.

andrewcons
07-14-2009, 05:06 PM
just wanted to say i have lots of motivations for getting myself in shape. i can come here and looks at peoples progress, look at some random fat guy walking down the street and tell myself i dont want to be like that...several other things. the problem is how do you guys keep this stuff on your mind? its especially tough for me in the mornings. ill admit im a late sleeper, on my days off i dont get up until 11 in the morning. my workdays i ussally get up at 7:45ish although i SHOULD be getting up at 6:45, but it so damn hard when your so comfortable under that blanket. LOL. i resumed my ripptoe program after about a month layoff last nigth and feel asleep quickly at around 12:30. woke up at 7:00am, planned to eat breakfast but fell back to sleep and missed it. this kind of throws my whole day off because i planned on ironing my clothes, making breakfast and preparing snacks/lunch for the day at work. instead i woke up at 7:50, threw on a tshirt and havent eaten anything all morning.

i think if i were to think about my motivations the second i wake up i would most likely get my ass outta bed at 6:45 and start my day off but lets face it, when your alarm clock goes off your not thinking about bodybuilding, your thinking about not wanting the comfort of your bed unless you have to. any advice or recommendations? ive been really sleepy/tired all day here at work, more so then normal. im not sure if it is the fact that i just start working out again last night or what.

What I do when I really gotta wake up is place the alarm clock all the way on the other side of the bedroom above the air conditioner. By the time I get up, grab a chair and stand on it, grab the alarm clock from the AC and turn it off, I wake up and I don't go back to bed. Masochistic, yes, but it works! If the alarm is next to you, it's so easy to just snooze it 3-4 times.

A friend of mine has one of those alarm clocks that you had to punch really hard on the top to get it to stop (had to try a few times since it had a pressure threshold) but that's a more farked up way to wake up than my method.

The best way though is discipline yourself to go to bed earlier and get your full rest. I know sometimes you don't feel like sleeping and you mess up on the computer or watch TV but if try lying down you will see how easy it will be fall asleep after 15 mins.

johnderriLLL
07-14-2009, 05:16 PM
ive been trying to do this for a long time on and off. the real key is consistency. just go to bed early and often.

merse
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
i just do it! i wake up at 5.50am every morning, roll out of bed and stuble down to the gym (have a tiny gym in my apartment) then i come back upstairs and get ready for work. then hot the gym after work for weights.
i havent slept in probably since xmas. its routine now. have to say a good sleep in would be awsome, but i dont want to miss my fasted cardio.

i also do go to bed around 10/10.30 most nights

apadronjr
07-14-2009, 06:02 PM
lets face it, when your alarm clock goes off your not thinking about bodybuilding, your thinking about not wanting the comfort of your bed unless you have to. any advice or recommendations? ive been really sleepy/tired all day here at work, more so then normal. im not sure if it is the fact that i just start working out again last night or what.

yeah I have to disagree with you on this one, when I wake up thats the first thing I think of, get my ass out of bed, get my shake then go to the bathroom, in that order, if im really tired I will go to the store and get a coffe to wake up and then hit the gym, this is everyday even on my day off I wake up early 4:30am and I want to go work out but I have to discipline myself not to.

Dogbreath
07-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Get up at the same time EVERY DAY, don't sleep in on your days off. I work 6p to 6a so I make sure to stay up every night at least unti 4a to keep my sleep patterns constant. I should stay up until 7a, but after awhile there is only so much to read on the internet.

flexap00
07-15-2009, 06:20 AM
if you are taking a fat burner, then it usually have some kind of stim in it. I keep it by my bed and chug it when the alarm goes off and go back to doozing off....second time the alarm goes off the stim is usually kicked in.

and then I come on line and watch motivational videos

MrDANNY
07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
My computer is my alarm clock and its very loud! andi gotta get up to turn it off! the key is not to touch the bed again after you get up! or else oyu will be right back to sleep

IKEACAR
07-16-2009, 08:08 AM
When I get outta bed in the morning (usually around 6 on mornings when I go to the gym) first thing I do is make the bed. Once that bed is made I know I won't be laying in it again until night time.

The alarm on the other side of the room trick is the only thing that saved my ass in college.

-Youngn-
07-16-2009, 10:19 AM
if you are taking a fat burner, then it usually have some kind of stim in it. I keep it by my bed and chug it when the alarm goes off and go back to doozing off....second time the alarm goes off the stim is usually kicked in.

and then I come on line and watch motivational videos

thats pretty smart

red_hot_tamale
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
This: http://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Alarm-Clock-Wheels-Aqua/dp/B000TAS9XQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1247774109&sr=8-1

Hahaha. Well, that's one idea right?!?! All fun aside, I agree with others that say stick to a schedule. Routine is key when you are trying to stay healthy and get in shape. If you're sleeping in that late, try going to bed earlier. Give yourself a bedtime for work and non work nights. You'd be amazed how much easier things are when your sleep is in check.

It's all about priorities. If you want to be committed, you will take the steps necessary to do so. Take the Nike motto to heart: Just do it.

awbasa
07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Just hop up out the bed and turn ur swag onnnn take a look in the mirror and ask yourself "is this body wassup?" next be like noooooooo I need to get to the gym then get to the moneyyyyy (work) yeaaaa u gettting money

adrewl22
07-17-2009, 08:37 PM
i usually set me alarm an hour early to whatever time i want to wake up. then i have like 3-4 15 minute snoozes. by the time im on the last one i feel a bit more awake. yes, you do get an hour less sleep, but it works for me.

Spire
07-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I find going back to sleep after I've first woken up actually makes it much harder for me to get out of bed.

I know a full sleep cycle is meant to be around 4 hours .. so waking up at 6, then going back to sleep until 7 only makes yourself feel more groggy, and more inclined to just say "**** it" and stay in bed.

I used to think I wasn't a morning person. I've spent the last two years waking up at 7, going back to sleep until 8 .. then heading into work late-ish. About a month ago I decided to just start getting up when I first find myself awake at 7 - I feel clearer throughout the day, I get to sleep easier that night, and getting up has just become ultimately easier. I also like being up early mornings now - feels like I have more hours in the day. Turns out I am a morning person :D

Long story short: try not to "snooze" too much, because it just makes getting up harder for yourself. Find what time your body naturally wakes up and stick to that routine. Won't be long until you're loving it.

Oh, and turning a light on when you wake up will kick your body out of rest mode - this has been a huge help to waking myself up.

LS42
07-18-2009, 03:52 PM
put something motivational like a quote or old picture of yourself on the roof or wall in your bedroom and change for every week.

LS42
07-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Just hop up out the bed and turn ur swag onnnn take a look in the mirror and ask yourself "is this body wassup?" next be like noooooooo I need to get to the gym then get to the moneyyyyy (work) yeaaaa u gettting money

LOL classic

NoFace525
07-18-2009, 05:50 PM

LOL! mastur cheef!

HYP3R
07-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Best thing that really helped me was putting my alarm clock on the other side of the room. Once you get out of bed your heart rate starts to go up just enough to wake you up. Once that happens, everything is up to you at that point. Start off slow, go for a morning walk for 15 min, then advance from there.

3Dirty
07-21-2009, 07:30 AM
As wacky as this sounds I have a P touch label on my bed that says "It's all about you" .. As soon as I open my eyes it's there staring me right in the face .. That's all I need ..

InHonorInMind
07-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Waking up in the AM has ALWAYS been a struggle for me since college. I was always late to work etc and LOVED sleeping in. But ya just gotta look at your goals. If you want to succeed in life or at what you want, you have to do it. There's a reason to the saying 'The Early Bird Gets the Worm'...even though I'm up 6days outta the week now to hit cardio at 4:30am....every morning still isn't 'easy'....but I just say 'Do you want this (to be in the best shape of my life) or not?' and I can't really honestly say to myself..."No thanks, I'd rather sleep in and be a fat-azz..." HAH! So just maby put a note on your alarm clock(thats across the room on top of the AC (good idea! LOL) that says 'you wanna succeed?'.....sooner or later you'll see its all worth it..... Good luck!

flexap00
07-21-2009, 06:27 PM
sometimes I wake up and just grab a big roll of belly fat and that usually disgust me to motivate me

dariusl
04-22-2014, 04:59 PM
sometimes I wake up and just grab a big roll of belly fat and that usually disgust me to motivate me

Yeah, that usually gets me too. I'm motivated to lose my stubborn belly fat.

ChangeOfStyle
04-23-2014, 03:10 AM
That's always the true challenge, to force yourself out of bed and get into training. I just have daily training sessions both in-home and at the park (calisthenics). If you want something so bad, time won't stop you - only you can do that. Have a positive outlook for mentality is a key principle in every aspect of life (stated this in other threads). Think about what you're doing at that time and say to yourself: ''Am I going to achieve the goal I set for myself by staying in bed?'' and the answer is what you say, not anyone else. Motivation is always a jump-start to get you going and keep you driven. If you have the motive and the means - you only need to get your ass out of bed ;).

Bet of luck mate.