PDA

View Full Version : Help me get motivated!

fredoniabills
07-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey everybody...new to the forums but I figured this might be a good way to get myself in gear and really change my life for the better.

Right now I have goals that I want to acomplish, but everytime I try and go to the gym I find myself lasting only a month or two before I get burned out and for one reason or another I stop going.

I live in NY right now but will be moving to San Diego in January and would like to look good for the California beaches...I mean who wouldn't?

As of right now I weigh about 175 pounds and I'm 5'10". I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not really overweight, but most of my weight is from fat and not muscle. I could really care less about what I weigh but I really just care about how I look. I look flabby right now and I would like to look toned.

Since I'm new to the forums I would just like to get a little motivation and support from everyone so I can make it through my goals. I would like to try P90x because that seems like it might be a good program for me...lose fat and put on lean muscle. I have about 6 months before I move and would really like to make a positive difference in my appearance so I can feel a lot better about taking my shirt off at the beach.

I would like to lose about 15 pounds of fat and possibly put on a few pounds of muscle to replace it. Since all of you are the experts let me know what you think and any words of wisdom you all might have. Thanks!

LEE-TARQUIN-UK
07-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey man, you're at the starting block! You have set yourself some goals, having soemthing to aim for is always useful in keeping you motivated. But it is you yourself who will maintain that motivation, others can only encourage you.

6 months is a fair amount of time, dont expect drastic changes but persist and be patient. I don't know much about p90x but there seems to be a lot of people on youtube and the like who have achieved good things from it.

You're right to be unconcerned with your weight as such and focus more on your appearance. I have lost no weight in the 5 months I have been training "seriously". what I have done is lose some fat and gain some muscle yet people say "you look well have you lost weight" - use your mirror and if you wish to monitor your muscle gains a tape measure they will tell you what you want to know when you look at yourself, not a set weighing scales.

Get your diet right and train hard and there is no reason why you shouldn't be looking / feeling good in no time.

Keep tabs on the forums on diet and work out plans.

I am rambling a bit but if you'd like to hear my typical diet etc I am happpy to share it.

All the best mate, stick at it.

JolietKev
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Moving to SD, you are lucky. That should be enought to motivate you right there. Why are you moving?

fredoniabills
07-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Moving to SD, you are lucky. That should be enought to motivate you right there. Why are you moving?

The reason I'm moving is I just graduated college and would rather start a life in an awesome city like San Diego than my hometown. A buddy of mine is stationed there in the navy so I would have a place to stay until i start a career so its a good situation for me.

As far as posting in this part of the forum i just feel as if it's so hard for me to stay motivated. Throughout college I have found it so tough to stick with working out regularly for more than 2 months or so. I feel like I don't see results fast enough and end up getting discouraged and I stop going.

But thats why I'm here!

I know that the key to getting in shape is just to do it. If I can control my diet/drinking and start regularly excercising there really is no reason that I can't drop 15 pounds of bodyfat in these next 6 months...I feel like I just need somewhere to turn to keep my motivation level high

fredoniabills
07-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Hey man, you're at the starting block! You have set yourself some goals, having soemthing to aim for is always useful in keeping you motivated. But it is you yourself who will maintain that motivation, others can only encourage you.

6 months is a fair amount of time, dont expect drastic changes but persist and be patient. I don't know much about p90x but there seems to be a lot of people on youtube and the like who have achieved good things from it.

You're right to be unconcerned with your weight as such and focus more on your appearance. I have lost no weight in the 5 months I have been training "seriously". what I have done is lose some fat and gain some muscle yet people say "you look well have you lost weight" - use your mirror and if you wish to monitor your muscle gains a tape measure they will tell you what you want to know when you look at yourself, not a set weighing scales.

Get your diet right and train hard and there is no reason why you shouldn't be looking / feeling good in no time.

Keep tabs on the forums on diet and work out plans.

I am rambling a bit but if you'd like to hear my typical diet etc I am happpy to share it.

All the best mate, stick at it.

Thanks for the response!

As far as any diet tips I would love to hear what you're doing. One of the things that has always slowed me down is the fact that my diet isn't the best in the world. I know a good diet is just as important as going to the gym so I know I've got to get it in check as well

OscarGortez
07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey everybody...new to the forums but I figured this might be a good way to get myself in gear and really change my life for the better.

Right now I have goals that I want to acomplish, but everytime I try and go to the gym I find myself lasting only a month or two before I get burned out and for one reason or another I stop going.

I live in NY right now but will be moving to San Diego in January and would like to look good for the California beaches...I mean who wouldn't?

As of right now I weigh about 175 pounds and I'm 5'10". I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not really overweight, but most of my weight is from fat and not muscle. I could really care less about what I weigh but I really just care about how I look. I look flabby right now and I would like to look toned.

Since I'm new to the forums I would just like to get a little motivation and support from everyone so I can make it through my goals. I would like to try P90x because that seems like it might be a good program for me...lose fat and put on lean muscle. I have about 6 months before I move and would really like to make a positive difference in my appearance so I can feel a lot better about taking my shirt off at the beach.

I would like to lose about 15 pounds of fat and possibly put on a few pounds of muscle to replace it. Since all of you are the experts let me know what you think and any words of wisdom you all might have. Thanks!

You sound just like me, comparable height and weight (I might slightly shorter and slightly heavier though) and I've been trying to work out consistently for a long time but always flake out after awhile :-\ I don't know how to offer you much motivation though unless you wanted to partner up so to speak...

My advice would be get a gym membership, without one there's way too many excuses. Make a point of going often, have a plan instead of just going. Additionally my weight was never an issue with me... I mean i don't care how much I weigh just how i look and feel, but one of the best runs I had at working out I weighed myelf each week, or even twice a week. I didn't really care about the numbers just the fact that it was a solid way of judging my progress. instead of looking in the mirror and wondering if I looked slimmer or if it was just me I could look at the scale and when i saw my weight went down it really helped. With that said the only way i got my weight to move was by counting calories... it sucks takes up time and is inconvenient for me, but it's the only way i could lose weight.

LEE-TARQUIN-UK
07-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the response!

As far as any diet tips I would love to hear what you're doing. One of the things that has always slowed me down is the fact that my diet isn't the best in the world. I know a good diet is just as important as going to the gym so I know I've got to get it in check as well

No worries, it's always good to spur someone else on as well as being motivated by others

well here's a rough menu with a 6 "meal" a day outline. I eat every 3 hours usually with my first meal at 8am.

Breakfast:

- Porridge Oats (I think you guys would say Oatmeal) cooked in semi skimmed milk, maybe chop in some fruit.
- 300 g cottage cheese on two slices of rye or wholemeal toast
- 2 egg omlette on 2 slices of rye or wholemeal toast

With one of the above I always start my day with a protein shake (if I am short on time I add some ultra fine oats to my shake to get the carbs in rather than prepare breakfast)

Morning Snack:

- wholegrain rice cakes with cottage cheese
- oatcakes with organic unsweetened peanut butter
- Two chicken legs (skin removed)
- handful of unsalted nuts

I usually have a piece of fruit with the above

Lunch:

Tuna & bean salad, 1 x tin of tuna, kidney beans lots of veg a dressing of light olive oil, with lemon juice and chilli's chopped in
Turkey or chicken salad - 1 - 2 chicken breasts or turkey steaks

If i have cooked a meal the night before I make enough to take a bowl full to the office with me - things like turkey chilli, turkey bolognaise, chicken stir fry are all easy to eat retrospectively (Although i dont mind my meals cold)

Afternoon snack:

choose from the morning snack list (theres plenty more options these are but a few to give you an idea)

Workout approx 6pm protein shake straight after

Evening meal:

Turkey chilli / bolognaise packed full of veg
Chicken stirfry lots of veg
Steak with a pile of green veg or avacodo salad

eating the right things at the right times is key, I am sure I could improve my diet at times as I could my work outs but these things aren't set in stone and the beauty of training is it is an ongoing process so don't be disheartend about not seeing gains straight away, damn I wish I had far more gains for what I ahve put in but do you know what is just as important... I feel a whole lot better as well as looking better.

i wish you luck with your training man, keep at it

schaferb100_OLD
07-15-2009, 10:39 AM
No pressure, no diamond-

Krique
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
I feel like I don't see results fast enough and end up getting discouraged and I stop going.

Try to gauge your results differently and see if that makes a difference. As soon as I stopped trying to lose another pound or gain another inch and started trying to run another mile or lift another plate, it became much easier to push myself farther.

Besides, weight often fluctuates and looks change slowly. Also, experiment. Everyone is motivated differently. Try changing when you lift, add music, go with someone else, see what works for you.

Memorial93
07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
One thing I do to motivate myself is to watch videos or look at pictures of bodybuilders. They constantly put in hours of work in their body and it makes me want to be able to do that. I learn from watching but figuring out what works for you is a trial and error method you should find out by gauging yourself.

Most motivational video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6xgPmwAA8A

If this doesn't make you want to get in a gym and strive to work your hardest then I have no clue what will.